ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
EDIT: Yes, they were given a ticket.

Smashy smashy.

CNN said:
After finding a car illegally parked in front of a hydrant, a group of firefighters decided to teach its owner a lesson.

The New Jersey firefighters responded to a house fire in Hamilton Township on Thursday, CNN affiliate WPVI reported. When they reached the scene at about 1 a.m., flames were coming from the top floor of the home but an Acura sedan was blocking the hydrant they needed to use to put it out.

So, they got a little creative.

The firefighters smashed two of the car's windows and weaved the hose through the vehicle. Then they posted a photo of the car to the Hamilton Township Professional Firefighters Facebook page along with a not-so-subtle caption reminding people not to make the same mistake.

180618083824-nj-car-exlarge-169.jpg

Last edited:

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Based on the photo it seems like they just could have gone up and over the trunk of the car. Kind of shitty if they broke the windows to "teach them a lesson."

EDIT: I'm not saying it was okay for the person to park in front of the hydrant, I just don't think the firefighters should have broken the windows unless they had to, and I don't know enough about how this shit works to say if that was possible in this case. If this was the best option then A+ job.

Last edited:

The Climaxan

Oct 27, 2017
NC-USA
I saw this happen when I was in college. One of my neighbors routinely blocked the hydrant. House across the street caught on fire. They wrecked his shit and gave him a ticket afterwards. Classic case of "Play Stupid Games, Win Stupid Prizes".

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
i mean they could've just used the fire truck to force-ably move the car if the owner had rathered, guy probably knew he wasn't supposed to park there. pretty sure things like this have happened before though.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if the Firefighters would have to pay for the damages? Or they would just ignore the ticket and call it even.

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
Based on the photo it seems like they just could have gone up and over the trunk of the car. Kind of shitty if they broke the windows to "teach them a lesson."

It would have increased the chance of reducing the water pressure through the hose.

I wonder if the Firefighters would have to pay for the damages? Or they would just ignore the ticket and call it even.

No and no.

Oct 27, 2017
That's what happens when you pull that stunt and the fire department needs to use the hydrant. This isn't the first or last time this will occur.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
Isn't this kind of standard procedure in these events? This isn't the first time I've heard of this happening at the very least. If firefighters are responding to a fire and you're blocking the hydrant, they don't have time to wait for a tow truck to show up to do what they need to do.

I remember hearing that not only are they not liable whatsoever, but that the driver's insurance company also won't cover the damages either because they're being intentionally negligent by parking in front of a fire hydrant in the first place. It's not a polite suggestion to not park there, it's the law for a reason.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
This could be solved at a 100% rate by not illegally parking in front of fire hydrants. You know, a critical safety device. Given there was an actual emergency, I don't have a problem with this particular lesson.

Pickman

Nov 20, 2017
Huntington, WV
When those hoses are full of water they pretty much become pipes. Wouldn't have worked out well going over the top or around the sides. Firefighters made the right move.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Pulling this from the article;

"Reminder, it is against the law to park in front of a fire hydrant."

I say it's more shitty of the car owner to park in front of the fire hydrant and potentially delaying fire damage.

i mean they could've just used the fire truck to force-ably move the car if the owner had rathered, guy probably knew he wasn't supposed to park there. pretty sure things like this have happened before though.

It's much quicker to just smash the windows and put the hose through than try and move the car with the truck.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kind of shitty to park in front of a fire hydrant.

In Seattle, lots of them are painted green and actually quite difficult to see. Not everyone parking in front of them is a jerk. I went and painted (authorized color) yellow on the valve and valve release so people could see the one in front of my house. The number of people who park in front of, and therefore block my garage, is astounding though.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
Kind of shitty to park in front of a fire hydrant too. Also illegal.

Lesson learned and doubt the owner will make the same mistake again.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
This happens all the time, and it should be a standard procedure everywhere. The priority here is the hose, it cannot be strained and held at some high angle, and that means everything near a hydrant will either be moved or drilled through. :D

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I think it would have kinked it too much.
It's certainly possible. I don't know much about how all this works, and can't fully judge based on this single picture. But it seems to me that breaking the windows and getting the hose through that way might have actually took them longer.

But if breaking the windows was indeed the best / fastest way to get the job done and save lives or property, then more power to the firefighters. I just don't like the idea of breaking somebody's windows "just because" as a punitive measure. That's what tickets are for.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
No sympathy for this person. Don't be an asshole and park in front of fire hydrants. There is a reason this is stressed. Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Actually, if they've gone over the car, it would've resulted in even more bending of the hose at the connecting point, and could've resulted in higher risk that the water doesn't flow properly, the host detaching because of the added pressure of the strain on the hose, and other issues arising from the added stress of curving the hose more than necessary.

You always want the most direct line to the fire hydrant to ensure the easiest/quickest access for attachment as well, which this car clearly impeded.

With that being said, the guy who parked his car in front of a fire hydrant got exactly what he deserved. Kind of shitty to park in front of a fire hydrant just because he couldn't find a parking space elsewhere?

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Understandable. Dont park in front of hydrants. Or do so, and enjoy having to have spend out of pocket to replace windows and repair water damage in case there happens to be a fire.

Shadownet

Oct 29, 2017
That's one of the thing they teaches you when you get your driver license. Ignorance isn't an excuse in this case.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017

Snaking the hose under or above the car could potentially blow out the windshields or damage the exterior, it's extremely high pressure water. Conversely, harsh bends in the hose could suppress the water pressure needed to put out the fire.

The solution here is to not park in front of hydrants.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Going over or around doesn't work because of the pressure involved in the hose. The angles don't allow it.

Pushing a car out of the way takes way more time than smashing two windows, especially for firefighters since they have all the tools necessary to quickly and easily break tempered auto glass.

Priapus

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine the frustration of a firefighter seeing the firehydrant being blocked by a car and then the gratification of getting payback in this manner.:)

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017

EDIT: I'm not saying it was okay for the person to park in front of the hydrant, I just don't think the firefighters should have broken the windows unless they had to, and I don't know enough about how this shit works to say if that was possible in this case. If this was the best option then A+ job.

That's the thing about two dimensional pictures. I bet if we saw it from another angle, it wouldn't seem like the trunk route would be as easy as you say.