Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Ah, I see now based on a pic from another angle that the hose is going through the front window, not the back.

Fully justified action by the fire department. Carry on then.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
When they tell you not to park there, it's both for the benefit of the firefighters so they aren't obstructed doing their job, and for you because firefighters have shit to do and don't have time to worry about your car windows. It'd be hilarious if the person came out during the fire and had to wait until they were done to get the car back.

Was it so hard for them to make a black rectangle over that license plate instead of scribbling it out?

Gigglepoo

Oct 25, 2017
They broke the windows so the could do their fucking jobs.

Why are you acting like they just broke the windows to be assholes?

Because a bunch of people in this thread of cheering that justice was served.

Why are you so angry? I explicitly said breaking the car windows if fine if it's necessary but is incredibly lame if it's extra punishment.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Why are you so angry? I explicitly said breaking the car windows if fine if it's necessary but is incredibly lame if it's extra punishment.
Sometimes it's necessary and a punishment. Gotta keep that hose as unbent as possible.

leenbzoold

Apr 5, 2018
They could have towed the car away from there with the fire trucks. But it probably would have took longer, so no.

Deleted member 33515

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
is incredibly lame if it's extra punishment.

it's not extra punishment, it's procedure and it has its operational motives. the only "extra punishment" here is circulating the picture and having fun on a forum (still, it holds educational value, since a lot of people commenting here seems to be pretty naĂŻve and/or self-centered). people here are happy because too often self centered assholes don't get what they deserve, and this picture gives the impression that at times they do.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I got to witness this happen in real time as a child. There was a house fire across the street from the school and we watched from our first grade class as the firefighters busted out the windows and ran the hose through. It was some neighbors car because he ran out minutes later irate. It was pretty funny.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

I'm not angry, I'm just trying to figure out why you're so much more concerned about trying to justify why someone would park in front of a hydrant.

Doctor Doggo

Oct 25, 2017
If you park in front of a hydrant you are scum and deserve to have your car royally fucked if there is a fire

Gigglepoo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not angry, I'm just trying to figure out why you're so much more concerned about trying to justify why someone would park in front of a hydrant.

People can park in front of a fire hydrant for reasons other than being scum. Assuming the worst shows a lack of empathy as does cheering when the firefighters dole out extra punishment.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
What's the alternative?

The alternative is not being a prick, I'd imagine. :P

I dunno, maybe fires are more common in proper cities. Where I'm from they rarely ever happen, and when they do its 'cause someone was an idiot.

So what?

Trying to stake out the most empathetic position isn't automatically the best thing to do.

This feels like a great time to avatar quote, but I'm too lazy to do that.

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes,fire fighters are the pricks now, not the people who park in front of fire hydrants. Got it.

Gigglepoo

Oct 25, 2017
So what?

Trying to stake out the most empathetic position isn't automatically the best thing to do.

Have you ever done something wrong in your life and tried to explain why it happened? Did you expect people to care what your reason was or were you hoping their would spit in your face and say you deserve whatever punishment you got?

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Have you ever done something wrong in your life and tried to explain why it happened? Did you expect people to care what your reason was or were you hoping their would spit in your face and say you deserve whatever punishment you got?
Consequences are not inherently intended as punishment.

However I am not required to feel sympathy for those who receive known, direct consequences that are pre-warned etc.

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
50a15ac19c629.jpg

16wPApE.jpg

pennsauken-fire-hydrant-01af072bb5c532a7.jpg

http://i./i/pix/2014/04/10/article-2601279-1CFD78C300000578-131_634x397.jpg
merced-fire-department-main2.jpg

I'm sure all of these car owners had some emergency which forced them to park their car in front of a fire hydrant.

Never understood how people could just leave their car in front of a hydrant. Running into the store for 2 seconds, okay fine. But to leave that shit blocking a hydrant overnight is just asking for a ticket or for something like this to happen to you.

Corran Horn

Oct 25, 2017
Never understood how people could just leave their car in front of a hydrant. Running into the store for 2 seconds, okay fine. But to leave that shit blocking a hydrant overnight is just asking for a ticket or for something like this to happen to you.
Because parking can be a bitch sometimes. Not making an excuse but alot of residential areas there is like no spot to park on streets sometimes without being in front of a hydrant.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
It's more than just okay that they did this to the car, it's pretty much mandatory. Hell, when I was in driver's ed way back in the '90s they straight up said this is what would happen if you were parked in front of a hydrant and firefighters needed to use it.

Because parking can be a bitch sometimes. Not making an excuse but alot of residential areas there is like no spot to park on streets sometimes without being in front of a hydrant.

Then there's no place to park. Period. Go park elsewhere. "There's no room to do what I want to do" is not a reason to block emergency equipment.

Gigglepoo

Oct 25, 2017
Consequences are not inherently intended as punishment.

However I am not required to feel sympathy for those who receive known, direct consequences that are pre-warned etc.

That's fine. I know once 20 years ago I got a ticket for speeding and I totally was speeding. But I told the judge (the cop didn't care) that I was speeding home to study for a college final because I had spent all day in the hospital with my dying grandma. The judge could have kept the ticket because I deserved the ticket but he tore it up because he felt sorry for my situation. The law doesn't have to be black and white. I appreciate when authoritative figures used their hearts and brains instead of just the rule of law.

So, yeah, I'm not going to cheer that someone's car was ruined because of a mistake they made. I have no idea what their circumstances were but I know how tough it would be if my car was treated so harshly when I had a good reason. I should say that I've never parked in front of a fire hydrant or gotten a parking ticket, so I'm not trying to explain away my past discretions. I just know that sometimes its hard (or nearly impossible) to avoid breaking the law.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
It's more than just okay that they did this to the car, it's pretty much mandatory. Hell, when I was in driver's ed way back in the '90s they straight up said this is what would happen if you were parked in front of a hydrant and firefighters needed to use it.

Then there's no place to park. Period. Go park elsewhere. "There's no room to do what I want to do" is not a reason to block emergency equipment.
Pretty much. Park a few blocks away. Helping firefighters save lives faster is more important than you having to walk a few blocks. I have no sympathy for anyone who does that.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, yeah, I'm not going to cheer that someone's car was ruined because of a mistake they made. I have no idea what their circumstances were but I know how tough it would be if my car was treated so harshly when I had a good reason. I should say that I've never parked in front of a fire hydrant or gotten a parking ticket, so I'm not trying to explain away my past discretions. I just know that sometimes its hard (or nearly impossible) to avoid breaking the law.

Cool but the point is that there's a burning building, people's lives are in danger and someone's car is in the way. Time is of an essence here and the firefighter have more important things to deal with than worry about why someone had broken the law and parked their car.

The damage can be dealt with after the fire has been put out.

Gigglepoo

Oct 25, 2017
Cool but the point is that there's a burning building, people's lives are in danger and someone's car is in the way. Time is of an essence here and the firefighter have more important things to deal with than worry about why someone had broken the law and parked their car.

The damage can be dealt with after the fire has been put out.

Like I've said multiple times in this thread: If breaking the windows is necessary, I have no problem with the firefighters breaking windows. Though breaking the windows as a form of punishment (or cheering the breaking of windows) is gross.

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like I've said multiple times in this thread: If breaking the windows is necessary, I have no problem with the firefighters breaking windows. Though breaking the windows as a form of punishment (or cheering the breaking of windows) is gross.
For some reason I think the instances of someone parking in front of a fire hydrant for a reason other than laziness while a fire is happening are close to 0.

It is the responsibility of a car owner to park their legally, if it is such a pain in the ass maybe they should not have a car?

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017

My friend, there are 5 pictures above that show this is standard procedure.

You can't bend a hose with gallons of water rushing through.

The house is on fire, firemen aren't going to be knocking door to door to find who's car it is. There is no extra punishment. They doing what they gotta do to save lives.

Of course, the lifehack is if you're gonna park next to a hydrant, you better roll down ya windows lol

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Idk. I think it's fine. Gross or not. There's too many selfish people in our world and this could cost someone their life. So I won't concern myself with the parker's feelings, circumstances, or if the firefighters were being dicks.

nemoral

Oct 25, 2017
Fiddler's Green
Parking in front of fire plugs should be a jailable offense. You're literally putting your convenience ahead of the safety and lives of others. I have no problem with firefighters smashing out their windows.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I love shit like this. People are assholes who park in front of hydrants. You're literally risking people's lives.

I go to a coffee shop that is on the first floor of an office building that also has an Urgent care facility in it, with a emergency drop off area... Must happen once a week that someone parks in the very obviously noted "NO PARKING - EMERGENCY VEHICLES ONLY - NO IDLING" space. I see people pull in there all the time and I always shake my head at them. Last summer, a cop sat right at the corner of it writing people tickets who parked there. They all deserved it. I think that's a hell of a ticket too, tantamount to parking in a handicapped space.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. Don't park in front of a fire hydrant, it's kind of a critical safety device that people sometimes need to get to ASAP. Pretty obvious you'd think.

Hopefully whoever it was learned their lesson.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Incidentally although the large "fireplug" hydrants common in the United States are universally familiar due to their appearance in Hollywood films and other media, not all fire hydrants are so readily identified. In the UK, for instance, a hydrant is an unobtrusive outlet flush with the pavement, with a metal lid. A nearby sign visible from the road shows an H in black on a yellow background. The sign shown here indicates a 100mm bore pipe located about 1m from the sign. You can see the outlet on the pavement in the foreground.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_hydrant#/media/File:Fire_hydrant_UK.jpg

Dec 31, 2017
Hilarious. But why is this standard procedure over just putting the hose over the car? Because of the high water flow?