ferroseed168

Aug 8, 2018
Why would they do the base version at this point? Seems crazy
Is there any realistic reason to believe it wouldn't be Royal? It's not like it's a full remake or anything, it's still the same PS3 game at its core. I don't see any reason to believe the normal game would be easier to get working on Switch than Royal, but you'd get a non-zero number of people who wouldn't buy if it wasn't Royal.

It's a completely different situation to Catherine PC, which was led by SEGA Europe, not Atlus.

Yeah I agree that it would be crazy to not have Royal. But I haven't seen explicit confirmation anywhere that PSR is the version coming to Switch. I think even Neoxon said that which P5 version comes to Switch is up in the air

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing the Switch versions will get revealed in a Direct. It wouldn't be the first time other versions get unveiled only for Nintendo to swiftly follow up with a Direct (see: Guardians of the Galaxy).
Yeah, timing of an announce is what I'm thinking too. Just doesn't make sense otherwise to have the games on PC, PS5, and Xbox, but not on Switch. Also, I love your avatar (she's the best).

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Switch port whining 😂

Hoping for a free upgrade, don't want to triple dip on the game.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good to hear. I really wonder if P6 will finally be on more platforms at launch.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I agree that it would be crazy to not have Royal. But I haven't seen explicit confirmation anywhere that PSR is the version coming to Switch. I think even Neoxon said that which P5 version comes to Switch is up in the air
Then I would take my original post back, after all this time releasing the base version of P5 on Switch would in fact be the most hilarious troll I've seen on the Switch userbase.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious how a hypothetical P5R would run on switch tbh. Switch, in general, is such a mixed bag in terms of some things you wouldn't expect to run well ending up being pretty solid and games that you'd expect have no issue are just actual garbage.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
I'll wait for the Switch announcement. It was a no brainer Sony was going to get the Persona games on PS Plus for PS5. Not a fan TBH of "timed" announcements now. First it was timed game launch exclusivity and now "timed" announcements per console. Next thing it'll be "timed" something else.

Geobros

Dec 31, 2018
I made this today, because I am sad and angry with Atlus and Sega. Those game have released to all console except Switch.

286191174_5316027911788263_7419033837590355379_n.jpg

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
NateDrake is really confident on Twitter that they're coming to Switch too. What I'm curious about is whether he thinks P5 on Switch will be the base version or Royal
I was told Switch alongside Xbox, PC and PS5. It'd be odd for that one platform to be the wrong bit of information. Hasn't someone on ERA been accurate with platforms for Persona in the past?

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
I'm curious how a hypothetical P5R would run on switch tbh. Switch, in general, is such a mixed bag in terms of some things you wouldn't expect to run well ending up being pretty solid and games that you'd expect have no issue are just actual garbage.
It honestly would be fine. Persona 5 originally came out on PS3

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It honestly would be fine. Persona 5 originally came out on PS3

That's not really my point though? There are games that are certainly not lookers like rune factory 5 which looks notably worse than P5 and yet runs *absolutely* terribly.

As there is no magical button that immediately brings games over from ps3 to switch, I think assuming it'd be perfectly fine is not the best bet in the world.

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
That's not really my point though? There are games that are certainly not lookers like rune factory 5 which looks notably worse than P5 and yet run *absolutely* terribly.
But then you have something like the Witcher 3 running on it.

It's a mixed bag, depends on the budget and the team doing the port.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Which is what I was saying. Some games you wouldn't expect run well while others you'd expect to run fine are trash tier ports. I don't think we can say for any certainty one way or the other.

The fact that smt v is as bad as it is already doesn't give me a lot of hope it'd be a perfect port of P5R regardless, but who knows.

Which is what I was saying. Some games you wouldn't expect run well while others you'd expect to run fine are trash tier ports. I don't think we can say for any certainty one way or the other.

The fact that smt v is as bad as it is already doesn't give me a lot of hope it'd be a perfect port of P5R regardless, but who knows.
SMTV is a much more ambitious game than P5 is in terms of its scope, and we do at least know it's not an engine issue as Catherine Full Body runs on the same engine they made for P5 in the first place. You're not wrong about there being some inexplicably poor titles on Switch in terms of performance put against their fidelity, but the general impression I've gotten is that Atlus tends to treat the Switch pretty darn well thus far and there's not that much reason to be suspicious about any potential ports down the line of these games falling into some of those pitfalls.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020

Most importantly of all is the engine. The Witcher 3 was built on a scalable engine because the devs have a long history with PC software. That's why games like it and Doom can work on Switch. It's not just as simple as how many devs you can throw at it and how nice the graphics look. Some (actually a lot of) games simply won't run on Switch because the engine wasn't built to scale down efficiently.

Oct 26, 2017
Catherine was actually outsourced on Switch to Technical Arts:

www.techarts.co.jp

TECHNICALARTS

テクニカルアーツではコンピューターシステム開発、スマホアプリ、家庭用ゲームの企画・開発・運営を行っています。

So they're certainly a very good pick for a Persona 5 Royal Switch port IMO.

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
Persona 5 is a PS3 game, there's no way Royal can't run on Switch lol

Also I can definitely see the Switch ports being announced during the upcoming Direct!

Pikagreg

Feb 5, 2018
If they have a physical version of any I will probably pick them up day 1. If they are digital only I might pick up P3P one day when I feel like playing it again.

Holmes

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Persona 5 is a PS3 game, there's no way Royal can't run on Switch lol

Also I can definitely see the Switch ports being announced during the upcoming Direct!
I don't know why a Switch version wouldn't be announced with the rest of the platforms? Like I don't see why Nintendo would care so much as to have Atlus hold back on the announcement of the platform for two weeks. That would be weird.

I don't know why a Switch version wouldn't be announced with the rest of the platforms? Like I don't see why Nintendo would care so much as to have Atlus hold back on the announcement of the platform for two weeks. That would be weird.
Like it was mentioned, they cared enough about a cloud version of GOTG and the ports of the recent Life is Strange games for Square-Enix to hold off on announcing them until Nintendo did a day later, and that was just last year.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Most importantly of all is the engine. The Witcher 3 was built on a scalable engine because the devs have a long history with PC software. That's why games like it and Doom can work on Switch. It's not just as simple as how many devs you can throw at it and how nice the graphics look. Some (actually a lot of) games simply won't run on Switch because the engine wasn't built to scale down efficiently.

Well whatever the general case is, Persona 5 is across three generations already and should not be a serious concern to get running on switch.

Oct 28, 2017
The PC version is on the Windows Store and GamePass for PC so yes, They are. The PS5 version is likely a similar deal to Yakuza 7.

MS funded a Xbox and Windows port of Yakuza 7, a PS5 version was announced alongside this but wasnt released until a few months after due a timed exclusivity deal. SEGA didn't want to make a next gen Xbox port without a PS port because it essentially would scam the JP users that bought the PS4 version out of a next gen upgrade. (The game wasn't out in the west at the time).

MS also helped fund the Xbox and PC ports of Yakuza 3-6 afterwards. These games only got ported to Xbox One and not Series S/X. So no PS5 version was made either.
We really gotta hand it to Xbox for bringing these long time Japanese console game series to PC. You can't really say this for Nintendo ports and time exclusivity deals like monster hunter rise.

yakuza6-thumbs-up.gif

ItsBradazHD

Nov 21, 2018
Despite the actual Embargo apparently being lifted, seems Atlus haven't said anything publicly yet about the Steam/PS5 releases.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
The same happened with Life is Strange so is not like it doesn't happen, and mainline Persona being on Nintendo would be worthwhile news

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Why would you release P3P and P4G on a PORTABLE SYSTEM you fools, its not like they were on a portable system before. Buncha nerds, ty Atlus for having sense and keeping this series away from Nintendo, it would sell like 2 copies, nobody has a Switch anyway.

Yes yes I know about the likely direct at the end of the month

Cronen

Oct 27, 2017
Just want Atlus to come out and publicly say they're coming to Steam. We've all seen the press release and the embargo is over. Just want the confirmation and the release date.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
What I don't get is why didn't they announce this in the first place along with the press release for Xbox? And who the heck thought it's a good idea to skip the PS4?

Nov 1, 2021
Who's to bet that Atlus would rather port Persona 3 and 4 to Apple Arcade than to the Nintendo Switch. /j

For real though, best case would be Nintendo Direct at the end of the month, but that's more of a Nintendo complaint than an Atlus one.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
The PC version is on the Windows Store and GamePass for PC so yes, They are. The PS5 version is likely a similar deal to Yakuza 7.

MS funded a Xbox and Windows port of Yakuza 7, a PS5 version was announced alongside this but wasnt released until a few months after due a timed exclusivity deal. SEGA didn't want to make a next gen Xbox port without a PS port because it essentially would scam the JP users that bought the PS4 version out of a next gen upgrade. (The game wasn't out in the west at the time).

MS also helped fund the Xbox and PC ports of Yakuza 3-6 afterwards. These games only got ported to Xbox One and not Series S/X. So no PS5 version was made either.

We really gotta hand it to Xbox for bringing these long time Japanese console game series to PC. You can't really say this for Nintendo ports and time exclusivity deals like monster hunter rise.
Microsoft didn't do crap for any of the PC ports of the Yakuza games. That all down to Yakuza 0 and Kiwami's ports doing very well, and Sega realizing the sales potential of PC audiences with games like Valkyria Chronicles and Vanquish, well before Microsoft started paying attention.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Microsoft didn't do crap for any of the PC ports of the Yakuza games. That all down to Yakuza 0 and Kiwami's ports doing very well, and Sega realizing the sales potential of PC audiences with games like Valkyria Chronicles and Vanquish, well before Microsoft started paying attention.
Microsoft literally backed Yakuza 3-7's ports. That's why they released on Windows Store alongside Steam and why 3-6 were day 1 gamepass titles, They've been paying JP devs to release games on Xbox/WinStore for a while.

It's not like this was some secret either, Microsoft was hardcore pushing Y7, it got localized into 11 languages even though the other 6 games had only been released in like 2-3 on top of an english dub. They also had the marketing rights and next-gen timed exclusivity (which was really stupid but go off I guess).

The ports would have obviously happened regardless (SEGA is fucking stupid sometimes but not that stupid), but MS still threw a bag of money at SEGA for them. It isn't just SEGA either, Spike Chunsoft's AI The Somnium Files Nirvana Initiative is also being backed by MS and releasing on Xbox/MS Store.

Last edited:

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft literally backed Yakuza 3-7's ports. That's why they released on Windows Store alongside Steam and why 3-6 were day 1 gamepass titles, They've been paying JP devs to release games on Xbox/WinStore for a while.

It's not like this was some secret either, Microsoft was hardcore pushing Y7, it got localized into 11 languages even though the other 6 games had only been released in like 2-3 on top of an english dub. They also had the marketing rights and next-gen timed exclusivity (which was really stupid but go off I guess).

The ports would have obviously happened regardless (SEGA is fucking stupid sometimes but not that stupid), but MS still threw a bag of money at SEGA for them. It isn't just SEGA either, Spike Chunsoft's AI The Somnium Files Nirvana Initiative is also being backed by MS and releasing on Xbox/MS Store.
The Yakuza 3-6 ports might have been backed by Microsoft for Xbox, same with Yakuza 7 getting all that localization support, but they absolutely would have still been developed for PC if Microsoft wasn't paying to get the series on their console/Gamepass. Same with the new Somnium Files, the first game came to PC day one and wasn't backed by Microsoft. We're in an age where almost everyone who isn't Sony or Nintendo is bringing games to PC day one, but that's because Dark Souls revealed it was an insanely huge market, not because of Microsoft.

If you're saying Microsoft backed the Windows Store versions of all those games, then yeah, of course they did. I can't think of any reason to put games on that platform if Microsoft isn't footing the bill with a Gamepass deal, because who in their right mind would buy games on there? And I guess you can also say Microsoft's being the good guy and not having exclusivity agreements that exclude PC, but I don't think they actually do exclusivity agreements for third-party games all that often nowadays, if at all. In Yakuza's case, I wouldn't be surprised if needing to forgo a PC version would have been a dealbreaker for Sega, because they've said repeatedly that it's that big of a deal to them. So I imagine it's really the other way around; Sega and other companies are going for Microsoft's Gamepass deals because they don't preclude selling the game on Steam, Switch, or Playstation.

Last edited:

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

So I guess P5R is getting a PS5 upgrade, probably 4K/60fps. Hopefully said upgrade is free.

And while those in the know have reaffirmed the existence of Switch versions for all 3 (I believe Nate reassured us about 5 Royal on Switch, while the OG leaker here confirmed the other two), it's still not officially announced yet.