Status
Not open for further replies.

MimosaSTG

Jun 7, 2022
I found this game's "Ray Traced" reflections to be very lacking when I was checking this game out. After tinkering I've found that this game has supports for RTGI, RTAO, RT Shadows, Better RT Reflections, and it also has support for Path Tracing.

Enabling Ray Tracing makes this game's "mood" look like how I expected a Persona 3 remake to look. I am in no way a developer and don't know anything about optimization. There are a ton of raytracing variable built into this version of UE4, but I don't know jack shit about what most of them do.

Since this game seems to lack a denoiser, I have to rely on higher samples per pixel to eliminate artifacts. I used a low sample for the screen shot below just so I could maintain high frame rates, so excuse the graininess.

I'm also having issues with lights inside of vending machines having no emission whatsoever. Path tracing does an amazing job of light emission, but it has it's own issues of not having AO not working and some objects being overly bright in dark areas.

I'm posting this to see if anyone could possibly add some insight on this. I'd like to make a engine.ini file that people can download to enjoy, but it isn't in a state that I feel could enjoyed. If any Devs out there with any experience in UE4 could offer some insight on RT or PT variables, that would be great! Or maybe Dictator might have some insight.

Thanks!

Default Game
53708788777_9618cfbfc0_o.png

Ray Traced
53710134710_dcba9f9e76_o.png

I've stopped pursuing Path Tracing because of how taxing it is even on the 4090, and without a proper denoiser it falls apart in motion because of how grainy everything becomes and things not being rendered properly. But here is a shot in what's supposed to be a dimly lit area:

53678500446_11b7a1a459_o.png

Path Traced
53677634307_e75ab58e0e_o.png

I do know that factors play into features like this being omitted. After talking to people in the industry, the most common reasons outside of talent/resources are:
  • Platform parity
  • Minimizing performance complaints from consumers
  • The player-base that can run this is too small for the effort
It would be nice to have this graphical technology available to us for future hardware releases, but I understand why pubs and devs do what they do. W

Well, if anyone has any suggestions on how to make this better I'm all ears.

Feb 16, 2022
Maybe I'm too cynical but I could see the path-traced version being tested with playtesters and the feedback being "it's too dark" so they went the other direction

OP
OP
MimosaSTG

MimosaSTG

Jun 7, 2022
Maybe I'm too cynical but I could see the path-traced version being tested with playtesters and the feedback being "it's too dark" so they went the other direction

It's not that hard to add light sources and/or control intensity. You would still need lighting artists even after ray/path tracing becomes common place. I can add light sources to this game right now with a simple tool.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
I can tell you right now that that Path Traced screenshot is not even remotely the intended lighting conditions for that room.

Don't a lot of engines "have" a path-tracer for Reference purposes for artists?

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes stylistic lighting is better than realistic, especially with static cameras I just dont see the point.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
P3 Reload definitely feels lacking in lightning so I am curious what people can do.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
with some more light sources, path tracing would look amazing in this game.

OP
OP
MimosaSTG

MimosaSTG

Jun 7, 2022

FantasticMrSnake

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Oct 25, 2017
Does this mean that the game actually had this? or is just something UE4 offers and it can be activated in most games? (even though it won't look good as the games weren't made around it)

In this classroom environment path tracing does a fantastic job of grounding the shadows. the shot isn't great because enabling path tracing disables outlines and lowers picture quality because of noise. but it gives you some insight.

Classroom

53678857014_2de1ba597a_o.png

Path Traced
53678959060_b73e923c2c_o.png

Lockers
53678958980_639179acc2_o.png

Path Traced
53677634397_e3041dbe1a_o.png
This looks very good

ALXJ

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Feb 16, 2021
omg i my opinion fits p3 so much more the darker inner spaces and realistic lights
maybe in a ps5 pro enhanced or something? one could only dream

Status
Not open for further replies.