• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Have you ever played a Persona 3 game before?

• Yes! I have played a different version of Persona 3 in the past!

Votes: 894 68.7%
  • No! Persona 3 Reload will be my first time experiencing Persona 3!

Votes: 408 31.3%

• Total voters

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Oh. I may have underestimated that attack.

I should go charge Leader's Theurgy and just wait for the Reaper. Go laugh in the face of death and all that.

Edit:

Found a Dark Floor. Found a Reaper. Killed a Reaper. Ultimate Almighty means 9999 damage. Does he respawn because that was good Exp?
Respawn question: Yes. It's far and away the most efficient way to grind levels instantly.

Edit: Just rolled credits myself. Revisiting this game after over a decade was an absolute joy. I'm filled with happiness right now that this Remake exists. Leaving another Persona game behind is always moment of sadness and longing, and I think the way that 3 wraps up makes that feeling hurt the most. I'm not sure when I'll ever revisit 3 again, but that my heart is both heavy & light right now. This series has some magic to it.

Last edited:

Antoo

May 1, 2019
been a month since i beat the game and i still think about the title screen often throughout the days. it's too good man.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I just lost 20 floors of Tartarus progress cause of one bad luck fight. How do you make a remake in 2024 with no auto save.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Call me crazy but isn't the entire point of Tartarus that the further you push the more danger you are in of dying and losing all that progress?
That's the way I've personally seen it, yes. More so in the original where you could only resurface to floors that had a two way elevator, but Reload instead offers to drop you in the highest floor of the night so returning to the lobby whenever to save no longer carries any penalty...

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Oh geez, I last saved at 7/23. Had no idea it was right before finding out exam results....or the fact that I have Aigis in my party, it's just that I haven't had the chance to have her partake in battle yet.

& did Powerpyx fix that one error with their guide? Something about the wrong character being listed for a shrine visit?

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Oh geez, I last saved at 7/23. Had no idea it was right before finding out exam results....or the fact that I have Aigis in my party, it's just that I haven't had the chance to have her partake in battle yet.

& did Powerpyx fix that one error with their guide? Something about the wrong character being listed for a shrine visit?

Yes, the guide is fixed.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Made it to floor 78. Not a huge fan of the 3rd block of Tartarus. I feel like I'm looking at the mini-map to move around instead of my characters because of the layouts combined with the design. Just when I think I've gotten used to it, I bump into a wall.

Edit: Floor 92 reached. I appreciate the fact there's extra bonuses for filling out the compendium, plus the new side content that gives additional bonuses like extra points when leveling up social skills. These are things I'd love to see combined with the QoL stuff that P5R added.

Last edited:

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
I beat this game a few days ago and I keep having a feeling of longing for it again. It's so hard to leave a Persona game behind and 3 / Reload in particular hurts more than the others for me.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Reached floor 106 after almost 36 hours. I think I'm starting to get RPG fatigue combined with the fact doing these Tartarus climbs is starting to drag on with how many floors there are. If anything, I think having a podcast on to listen to would help a ton, given how often I'm hearing the exact same music.

Also started my latest dungeon run with a whopping 3 new party members to try out. I said it before, but the distribution of getting your party feels really off. At the very least, Konomaru seems rather good with having both fire & dark, on top of having high evasion. Heck, I feel like Ken may be good with having both lightning & light, depending on the floors. Feel like I barely use Aigis & don't feel like Shinjiro will get a lot of use, but I'm also the dumb & stubborn "I don't wanna use HP consuming attacks if it's not exploiting a weakness" player.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
There it is.

Burn my Dread - Reload

The entire OST is on Spotify now

View: https://youtu.be/McCh8PZWM3A

NOOOOOO WHAT HAVE THEY DONE?!

The chrous doesn't sound too bad, but the rest of it is way off. The end is practically whispering "pride of the living". What the hell have they done?!

Azumi is at her best with new tracks: It's Going Down Now and Color Your Night.

Keiriks

Omicron Persei 8 Logic
Aug 19, 2021
Reykjavík, Iceland
I'm also the dumb & stubborn "I don't wanna use HP consuming attacks if it's not exploiting a weakness" player.
Physical skills are really strong in P3R, especially with a critical-heavy build, so I'd at least give it a shot if you want dungeoning to go by quicker. Shinjiro especially hits like an absolute truck with Bloody Charge and his Theurgy.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Reached floor 106 after almost 36 hours. I think I'm starting to get RPG fatigue combined with the fact doing these Tartarus climbs is starting to drag on with how many floors there are. If anything, I think having a podcast on to listen to would help a ton, given how often I'm hearing the exact same music.

Also started my latest dungeon run with a whopping 3 new party members to try out. I said it before, but the distribution of getting your party feels really off. At the very least, Konomaru seems rather good with having both fire & dark, on top of having high evasion. Heck, I feel like Ken may be good with having both lightning & light, depending on the floors. Feel like I barely use Aigis & don't feel like Shinjiro will get a lot of use, but I'm also the dumb & stubborn "I don't wanna use HP consuming attacks if it's not exploiting a weakness" player.

Some characters are DEFINITELY more useful than others, but this makes sense when you remember the original versions of this game had the "tired" and "sick" mechanic which meant using your best people all the time to just rush a couple dozen floors of Tartarus at once straight up wasn't possible.

This is removed for reload (and for the better, tired/sick was extremely irritating) but it also means you have a lot of superfluous party members now.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Physical skills are really strong in P3R, especially with a critical-heavy build, so I'd at least give it a shot if you want dungeoning to go by quicker. Shinjiro especially hits like an absolute truck with Bloody Charge and his Theurgy.
I was gonna say with bloody charge on a super late game high-Str Persona I was hitting the final boss for 1k+ sometimes.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
I played this last night and enjoyed the hell out of it. I was mostly using my personas to knock the enemies out and chain together attacks with other party members so I could do the all in attack. Pretty neat. Is there like a guide on what personas to get? The fusion of personas seems cool but I want to make sure I do it right. JRPGs are not my strong genre.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
I remember using Lucky Punch a bunch in P5 because of its high critical rate when an enemy didn't have a weakness. If I can replicate something like that, I could see myself using physical skills more often. Especially since I know that recovering HP is MUCH easier than recovering SP.

I guess it's been a fear that I use an attack that uses my HP, then I get hit with an attack that KO's me when I could've stayed alive if I DIDN'T use said attack. At the very least, I will say that between 3, 4, & 5, this is perhaps the most I've been using physical attacks, probably on account of just how long you can take to reach the next road block in Tartarus, so anything to help me save SP.

Some characters are DEFINITELY more useful than others, but this makes sense then you remember the original versions of this game had the "tired" and "sick" mechanic which meant using your best people all the time to just rush a couple dozen floors of Tartarus at once straight up wasn't possible.

This is removed for reload (and for the better, tired/sick was extremely irritating) but it also means you have a lot of superfluous party members now.
Yup, it sounded like they were meant as more "maybe save these party members for when you REALLY need them & the others are tired out", but without the limit, I feel little reason to use Junpei or Akihiko as often now if I have other members who can not only use their elementals, but a 2nd one on top of that. Granted, I imagine they're still useful depending on the fight for their persona's elemental strengths.

Keiriks

Omicron Persei 8 Logic
Aug 19, 2021
Reykjavík, Iceland
I played this last night and enjoyed the hell out of it. I was mostly using my personas to knock the enemies out and chain together attacks with other party members so I could do the all in attack. Pretty neat. Is there like a guide on what personas to get? The fusion of personas seems cool but I want to make sure I do it right. JRPGs are not my strong genre.
Cover as many elements as you can and you'll be fine. You can put fire and wind on the backburner for a while since you have Yukari and Junpei.

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
You'll get the hang of it over time. At some point you'll have Personas that couldn't ever dream of discarding as they're utterly perfect, only to throw them hours away as the fusions become bigger & better. My thought process for how I fill out my Personas is just making sure you've got one of each element (either in your deck alone or in combination with party members), one physical, one for healing, and something for buffing & debuffing. Quite often, Personas can fill multiple roles depending on which skills you carry over via fusions.

For example you might fuse one that has fire, ice, wind, debuffs the enemy, and has a low level group heal. Check out the previews of fusing and you'll find some sick combos.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
so what's the general consensus on whether this game will get an expanded version released in a year or two?

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
so what's the general consensus on whether this game will get an expanded version released in a year or two?
Extremely unlikely this gets a "Royal" treatment. At most, I think there might be a bundled edition that includes the DLC at a lower total cost, but the upcoming DLC is very much just post-game content and I would be absolutely and completely shocked if they jammed more content within the base game itself like they did with Faith / Councillor / Justice in P5.

MimosaSTG

Jun 7, 2022
Forced path tracing in the game. IT gives good insight on how much path tracing can change the atmosphere of the game. There are some graphical bugs with glowing furniture, character outlines removed, and other things, but in my opinion it looks amazing and I wish it were optimized and available for everyone.

Comparisons below with image sliders. Path Traced images look softer because I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to how to adjust all the variables in UE4 and this already took way too long.

Classroom
53678857014_2de1ba597a_o.png

53678959060_b73e923c2c_o.png

Lockers
53678958980_639179acc2_o.png

53677634397_e3041dbe1a_o.png

Dorms at Night
53678500446_11b7a1a459_o.png

53677634307_e75ab58e0e_o.png

Whisu

May 19, 2021
Forced path tracing in the game. IT gives good insight on how much path tracing can change the atmosphere of the game. There are some graphical bugs with glowing furniture, character outlines removed, and other things, but in my opinion it looks amazing and I wish it were optimized and available for everyone.

Comparisons below with image sliders. Path Traced images look softer because I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to how to adjust all the variables in UE4 and this already took way too long.

Classroom
53678857014_2de1ba597a_o.png

53678959060_b73e923c2c_o.png

Lockers
53678958980_639179acc2_o.png

53677634397_e3041dbe1a_o.png

Dorms at Night
53678500446_11b7a1a459_o.png

53677634307_e75ab58e0e_o.png

Wow, that makes a huge difference. I kinda like it.

Do you have a tutorial on how to enable this?

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
This version? 0% chance. They are doing DLC and then moving on.
But there will absolutely be another version of Persona 3 one day. This is the fourth release and it's not complete. In another decade, maybe.

Zemoco

Jan 12, 2021

Don't get people that hung up (Not necessarily you, just in general) on this since you can just look up the story online and a significant amount of time passes between the released. (Ignoring FES). Royal was nearly 4 years later. Strange Journey nearly 10. Vengeance 3. Golden is 4 and I consider it to be lesser outside of gameplay improvements. Waiting half or near a decade just to play a game you want just doesn't seem worth it to me. The originals are still perfectly fine games.

Anyway, to answer you, very unlikely if they put their foot down on no FemMC. part of me feels like they might still want to do it just to put it to rest and have a "definitive" version of P3 once and for all but who can say. But if not, No way.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
It is always worth buying Golden. I have it on Vita, Switch and PC.

I doubt we'll see a remake this year, or even next.

I'll probably get it then. I just replayed all of P5 Royal.

Edit: I started playing Golden and am really vibing with the atmosphere. However, I am spoiled by the P3R and P5 combat system, and Golden really shows its age here. There's a lot of QoL I took for granted in the newer games.

Last edited:

FizzMino

Shinra Employee
Sep 15, 2022
Colorado, USA
Almost to Summer break in P3, gonna play a bunch tomorrow though so I'm sure I'll get much further.

I really enjoy the combat so I still haven't burned out on Tartarus yet, despite going in probably more than I need to lol.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't expect it (Preferably not at all) until after Persona 6.
I'd say earliest 2026, so nah. Golden is still perfectly playable anyway.

I just finished the first dungeon. It would be nice if it had all the bells and whistles the newer games have, but it's an interesting story and a neat location.

Zemoco

Jan 12, 2021
I just finished the first dungeon. It would be nice if it had all the bells and whistles the newer games have, but it's an interesting story and a neat location.
I would say (ignoring version differences, straight P3 all editions) P3 has definite higher highs but I'd say Original 4 storywise is the better overall game. Although Golden is the easiest to play it does...quite a number of things I dislike. A perfect way to describe Golden is a New Game+ version of Persona 4, regardless of whether you played it before.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
I would say (ignoring version differences, straight P3 all editions) P3 has definite higher highs but I'd say Original 4 storywise is the better overall game. Although Golden is the easiest to play it does...quite a number of things I dislike. A perfect way to describe Golden is a New Game+ version of Persona 4, regardless of whether you played it before.

Interesting. I'm going in blind on this one. The only character I've seen before is Teddie, and I have no idea wtf he is. Akihiko is apparently a fish now.

Zemoco

Jan 12, 2021
Interesting. I'm going in blind on this one. The only character I've seen before is Teddie, and I have no idea wtf he is. Akihiko is apparently a fish now.

Hmm. Curious, who do you think is the killer at the point you are?

Obviously I won't confirm or deny, but since I did look up who the killer was when I played like 13 years ago, I wondered if I could figure it out blind. Please be sure to spoil it.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm. Curious, who do you think is the killer at the point you are?

Obviously I won't confirm or deny, but since I did look up who the killer was when I played like 13 years ago, I wondered if I could figure it out blind. Please be sure to spoil it.

The gas station attendant you meet in the very beginning. Sus.
(I have no idea. I just think it would be hilarious.)

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Teachers in Persona are all so creepy.
"I'm glad the only cutie in the class is back. Wouldn't you agree boys? Don't tell your parents I said that! haha"

sheesh

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
And credits at 62 hours in-game...

Really really great game from start to finish. The cast grew on me really quickly, and Koromaru's by far the best animal party member of any of the three Personas I've played now. What a good boy. I really liked the idea of the SEES squad, and the chemistry between the characters felt really organic too.

They should have fleshed out the social links in this one a bit more though, they felt really short and stunted compared to 4 Golden and 5 Royal. Still really good, but could have been worked on a bit better. I was a bit miffed that you don't get links for Koromaru/Junpei/Sanada either.

I think my rankings would be 5R>3R>4G at the moment - 4 has my favourite setting by quite a way but lacks all the modern polish this had..

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Hm, I kinda forgot to play for a week. Last thing I did was blow up the Reaper. I should get back to it, take it home.

For January, anything you'd recommend to get ready for the final stretch? Personas to get, levels to hit. I think getting the entire party to max level is going to be fairly trivial by now. Just need to max out Leader's Theurgy and wait. The Exp will come to me, then. Heck, with my Loki casting Sprit Drain for 1 SP, I can actually recover from it with no item use.

Should I spend my incenses on Personas I'm thinking of taking to the end? Actually, can I spend those on Personas for my party members, too?

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Yes. You can use incenses on party member's Personas. Actually I'm only spending those on them.
My final party is going to be so swole, I haven't used any of them. My Black Frost is already hilariously buff, had him since level 30-something, and I just hit 90.

Honestly, I'm thinking the only Persona left on my wishlist that I'm able to get without NG+ and maxing all Confidants, which is impossible for me now in this game, is Messiah. In part because he has an achievement for summoning him. He's not a Special Fusion, though, so how do I get him?

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
My final party is going to be so swole, I haven't used any of them. My Black Frost is already hilariously buff, had him since level 30-something, and I just hit 90.

Honestly, I'm thinking the only Persona left on my wishlist that I'm able to get without NG+ and maxing all Confidants, which is impossible for me now in this game, is Messiah. In part because he has an achievement for summoning him. He's not a Special Fusion, though, so how do I get him?
You have to get to Floor 256 in Tartarus (ie be in the end game), then fuse Thanatos and Orpheus.