Smitch

The Unshakable Resolve of "this guy are sick"
Apr 21, 2022

View: https://twitter.com/persona_central/status/1788920151313653801
Sega Sammy has released the company's Fiscal Year Ending March 2024 (consisting of April 2023 to March 2024) Q4 financial results today. As with previous earnings reports, Sega has outlined the sales of their tentpole series, including Persona.

According to the financial results, the Persona series sold approximately 2.39 million units worldwide (including digital and physical sales) in January, February, and March 2024. This is in large part due to the release of Persona 3 Reload on February 2nd, which was the fastest selling Atlus title in the company's history.

This makes for a total of 5.06 million copies sold of the Persona series in the Fiscal Year ended March 2024. 630k copies were sold between April and June 2023, 750k between July and September 2023, and 1.3 million sold between October and December 2023.
  • April 2021 to March 2022: 1.3 million copies sold worldwide
  • April 2022 to March 2023: 3.27 million copies sold worldwide (+1.97 million copies compared to previous year)
  • April 2023 to March 2024: 5.06 million copies sold worldwide (+1.79 million copies compared to previous year)

Previous Persona Sales Milestones

In March 2024, Atlus announced that the Persona series had sold over 22 million units worldwide. As of December 2023, the Persona 5 series (including Persona 5, Persona 5 Royal, Persona 5 Strikers, and Persona 5: Dancing in Starlight) has sold over 10 million copies worldwide.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Atlus deserves the success. They have a winner of a series, and I am glad it's now getting the recognition

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and foreverâ„¢
Sep 24, 2019
Hottest JRPG brand on the market right now. Also a great example of how to take your brand and grow your audience.
I don't think we're ready for how big Persona 6 is gonna be

I don't even think SEGA's ready lol
You're not joking. If it launches on all platforms Day 1, it's going to be unbelievably massive.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I know P5 was the real breakout hit, but I swear it was P4G, the Vita exclusive, that really took the series out of real niche territory. I'm not talking about the GAF bubble, I'm talking I was on a friggin Animal Crossing forum, and someone was talking about P4G. And that got them to go back to P3P, which led to a fair few people trying that out in a sort of book club manner because let's face it, what is a Vita, but hey I have a PSP. I recall a bunch of YouTubers talking about P4G as well back then — TotalBiscuit spoke on it a few times in his podcasts.

Feels like, even if people didn't buy or play P4G, P4G is what brought more attention to the series at large, and really set up for a more receptive response to P5. They did really really well marketing it, but being the fifth in a series, that's something you have to sort of assuage fears over. And I think that prior knowledge of 4G being standalone, even if you didn't play it, helped a lot.

…..anyways, 6??

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
I swear to God if they go with Sony exclusivity again...

I think it all depends on when P6 comes out relative to the Switch 2. If they can get it on that system day-and-date, it would be ideal (especially for JPN sales).

Hopefully it'll be on PC day one regardless.

I know P5 was the real breakout hit, but I swear it was P4G, the Vita exclusive, that really took the series out of real niche territory. I'm not talking about the GAF bubble, I'm talking I was on a friggin Animal Crossing forum, and someone was talking about P4G. And that got them to go back to P3P, which led to a fair few people trying that out in a sort of book club manner because let's face it, what is a Vita, but hey I have a PSP. I recall a bunch of YouTubers talking about P4G as well back then — TotalBiscuit spoke on it a few times in his podcasts.

Feels like, even if people didn't buy or play P4G, P4G is what brought more attention to the series at large, and really set up for a more receptive response to P5. They did really really well marketing it, but being the fifth in a series, that's something you have to sort of assuage fears over. And I think that prior knowledge of 4G being standalone, even if you didn't play it, helped a lot.

…..anyways, 6??

I think there's always a bit of a delay in sales when individual games in a series break out. I always thought RE4's quality led to RE5's sales jump (at least in part), despite RE4 being the better game. People hear about the prior game being good, and decide to jump in with the new one. P3 made enough of a splash as a niche release to make P4 bigger, and it got enough mainstream focus (as well as things like the GB Endurance Run and the Hiimdaisy comics) to make P5 even bigger.

jawzpause

Nov 7, 2017
I just bought p4g on ps5 on sale. Only an hour in and it's a slow start so far but willing to give it a chance

Oct 27, 2017
Might as well post the rest :

Sonic : 5,92 million copies
Like a Dragon / Judgment : 5,36 million copies
Persona : 5,06 million copies
Total War : 1,91 million copies

(from April 2023 to March 2024, copies shipped)

AnimeAvatar

Apr 28, 2021
I don't think we're ready for how big Persona 6 is gonna be

I don't even think SEGA's ready lol
If you asked me even just a few years ago if Persona 6 would sell around the amount of a new mainline Final Fantasy or even more I would've laughed but now there does seem to be a real possibility.

Sega during one of it's last investor meetings said they're expecting 5 million in the first calendar year for the next numbered Persona game (i.e. Persona 6). You don't get to that number if its Playstation exclusive. I know for a lot of people until Persona 6 is announced and it explicitly says it'll be on everything they're gonna still be skeptical, but Sega has been saying for years what the end goal of expanding the Persona series is.

Celestial Descend

Corrupted by Vengeance
Aug 15, 2022
2.4 million for the whole series, so P3R should be at at least 2 million right? That's the same ballpark as FF7 Rebith. Persona overtaking Final Fantasy is happening right in front of our eyes.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Might as well post the rest :

Sonic : 5,92 million copies
Like a Dragon / Judgment : 5,36 million copies
Persona : 5,06 million copies
Total War : 1,91 million copies

(from April 2023 to March 2024, copies shipped)
Edit: Nvm, think I misread. I feel like Sonic catalogue sales are weirdly high, but Superstars did release. Sega cooks their Sonic numbers though and it makes me wary.

Last edited:

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
Great success for P3R so give me a P4G remake asap please Atlus.

Will be there day 1 too.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
For people who aren't stuck in 1999
No that was a serious question. I don't think we really know if Persona is a bigger series than FF now, but those numbers are interesting. It says Persona series tho, not specifically Persona 3 Reload. FF series would be >5 million in the same period from just 16 and Rebirth.

Still far closer than I expected.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I highly doubt it, they are releasing P3 and Metaphor on most systems the same day and there are rumors that the games will hit the next Nintendo machine.

I know that SEGA and MS have some deal here, but even when they finish it , SEGA has noticed for sure that their games are wildly succesful on PC and Switch, so I expect them to keep the multi-platform release from now on.

Astrogamer

Oct 25, 2017
2.4 million for the whole series, so P3R should be at at least 2 million right? That's the same ballpark as FF7 Rebith. Persona overtaking Final Fantasy is happening right in front of our eyes.
Presumably,Sega would have mentioned it here if it passed 2 million so it would be slightly short. There is probably a little over .5 million that is from back catalog (the remasters, Tactica and Strikers)

sderttreds

Jan 6, 2023
No that was a serious question. I don't think we really know if Persona is a bigger series than FF now, but those numbers are interesting. It says Persona series tho, not specifically Persona 3 Reload. FF series would be >5 million in the same period from just 16 and Rebirth.

Still far closer than I expected.

FF series sold 12 million between sep 22-oct 23 (173->185)

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
Third parties Japanese games doing really well since PS4/XB1

Well, except SP Final Fantasy.

mrtanooki

May 9, 2024
I highly doubt it, they are releasing P3 and Metaphor on most systems the same day and there are rumors that the games will hit the next Nintendo machine.

I know that SEGA and MS have some deal here, but even when they finish it , SEGA has noticed for sure that their games are wildly succesful on PC and Switch, so I expect them to keep the multi-platform release from now on.

Yep. They need to stick with the multiplatform release strategy if they want to continue to see these sales numbers.

TheWildCard

Jun 6, 2020
Be nice if they'd give specifics more than just "series" totals most of the time.

But yes Persona 6 could be pretty big if they can get it on Switch 2 day one.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
I know P5 was the real breakout hit, but I swear it was P4G, the Vita exclusive, that really took the series out of real niche territory.

Was actually 3 and 3:FES that really started expanding the franchise. Then 4 dropped and that grew the pool even more, P4G even more and then it blew open wide with 5.

They've been building momentum ever since 3 though.

mrtanooki

May 9, 2024
Was actually 3 and 3:FES that really started expanding the franchise. Then 4 dropped and that grew the pool even more, P4G even more and then it blew open wide with 5.

Then we had P4G selling really well on PC which showed them that multiplatform releases are well worth it.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, it feels like it's been steadily rising ever since 3. Each new entry blows up more than the last as a result.

Sep 29, 2019
Persona has been having a constant incline in overall popularity and mainstream breakthrough. The amount of people i've seen being introduced to this franchise in the last months is insane, and recent releases like P3R and P5T clearly pushed it a lot, to the point where i'd say this is the hottest JRPG franchise of the moment. Smart decision IMO, as this creates further expectation for Persona 6.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
Persona was one of those franchises that was not pokemon or final fantasy that I was surprised several people in my office played. For the longest time I haven't met anyone who knew what persona was. That was persona 4 though. Didn't kept up with them to know if they played 5. Lol

This made me realize persona really resonates with certain people. Then I really knew it was big when I had to wait in a long line to preorder P5 at a local store and preorders almost sold out.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017

Persona is still selling less than FF mainline same for spinoff games, but I think P6 will be the game where we see them truly flip.

Sega finally realized how big the market is for these games on PC. Shame SE still hasn't figured it out, and also burned a lot of PC potential with a history of half assed ports.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and foreverâ„¢
Sep 24, 2019
Persona is still selling less than FF mainline, but I think P6 will be the game where we see them truly flip.
Yep. Persona's upward trajectory has been remarkable the last several years. It's been very restricted for many years due to console exclusivity, but the combination of opening the doors wide open to all platforms (except Switch for Reload ... maybe Switch 2?) and by dropping P3, P4, P5, P3 Reload and Tactica all on Game Pass to grow the PC (plus Steam, obviously) & Xbox market, they're going to have people absolutely starving for Persona 6 by the time it comes out. And you can bet the house on it not coming to Game Pass similar to how Like a Dragon did but Infinite Wealth didn't. Sales are going to be astronomical for P6.