silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Is Persona bigger than Final Fantasy now?

I'll wait for P6 before saying that. If it sells more than 16, then yeah I guess. But then again one is exclusive and the other will most likely release on 4 platforms.

Might as well post the rest :

Sonic : 5,92 million copies
Like a Dragon / Judgment : 5,36 million copies
Persona : 5,06 million copies
Total War : 1,91 million copies

(from April 2023 to March 2024, copies shipped)

Is turn based Yakuza selling better than action ones?

Wyatt+

Jan 15, 2020
I just get the feeling that the series is going to explode in popularity when Persona 6 comes out.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
I just get the feeling that the series is going to explode in popularity when Persona 6 comes out.

The series exploded in popularity twice already first with P3/P4 on PS2, then again with P5.

I'm very curious how well P6 performs now that it's likely lined up for a cross platform global release. I feel it will be huge, but it might also give us an idea of the global appetite for JRPGs in general.

Is there a hard cap on the genre?

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
I think Metaphor will also be a good indicator of where the Atlus RPG brand is at the moment.
Metaphor still isn't Persona, though. Even if it's got similar elements, it's going to trail behind Persona for sales because it won't get the same amount of automatic purchases on brand recognition.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
Metaphor still isn't Persona, though. Even if it's got similar elements, it's going to trail behind Persona for sales.

TBH I half expect Metaphor to bomb. Even folks I know who like Persona don't really know about it. Hoping that will change closer to release.

Feels like it has less buzz than SMTV did. Might be because of the Xbox marketing agreement.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
great considering P3R is also on gamepass now. I've been playing it for months and just hit Nov and pretty burned out, hoping "the turn" into something wild happens soon because so far its been really, really bland.

I did buy P3 and P4 remasters on both steam and xbox even though I don't think I'll ever play them, they just seem like good games to have in your collection for "some day i'll revisit them to compare them to the remasters" (no i won't)

and yeah I don't really know who Atlus is or their other games, I know I really, really liked Persona 5 and will finish P3R and some day play P4G-R. No idea what Metaphazor is and probably wouldn't check it out unless it comes to gamepass or PS+. I know someone is probably shaking their head in despair at what I just said but just being honest.

Deluxera

Mar 13, 2020
TBH I half expect Metaphor to bomb. Even folks I know who like Persona don't really know about it. Hoping that will change closer to release.

Feels like it has less buzz than SMTV did. Might be because of the Xbox marketing agreement.
I'm not confident in this one either (from a commercial standpoint). It doesn't look like the new fans of Persona since P5 will convert to Metaphor, just like they didn't convert to Soul Hackers 2.

There's still time though, they can turn it around.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not confident in this one either (from a commercial standpoint). It doesn't look like the new fans of Persona since P5 will convert to Metaphor, just like they didn't convert to Soul Hackers 2.

That depends entirely on if it's a strong reviewing/word of mouth game or not. Nobody converted to soul hackers 2 because it was a critical dud on both fronts.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Cool to hear, I'm very happy they made P3R Play Anywhere. Hoping they keep that going for 6. It was really nice bouncing back and forth between my PC and Series S whenever I felt like it.

mrtanooki

May 9, 2024

I think Metaphor will sell well provided it gets decent reviews.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The next time I'll buy a copy of a new Persona title on day one is the next time they give us a FemMC. Otherwise, I'll wait for the inevitable refresh game and then buy that on sale.

Or if they make a game that's not in the high school setting. I'll buy that day one as well.

Makoto Yuki

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Or if they make a game that's not in the high school setting. I'll buy that day one as well.

I would love it if Persona moves past high school. P6 is probably the last Persona game I care to play if it is in high school.

That being said, Metaphor, other than the crappy battle music, looks promising.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
Even tho the series isn't for me, and there is still room for further expansion, Sega Atlus have done a wonderful job expanding the franchise. Well earned.

Wyatt+

Jan 15, 2020
The series exploded in popularity twice already first with P3/P4 on PS2, then again with P5.

I'm very curious how well P6 performs now that it's likely lined up for a cross platform global release. I feel it will be huge, but it might also give us an idea of the global appetite for JRPGs in general.

Is there a hard cap on the genre?
I'm curious too. I think the appetite (or potential cap) for JRPGs is much larger than many people give credit. Pokémon is one of the largest franchises on the planet, and I personally give it a lot of credit for familiarizing generations of people with turn-based RPGs.

Whisu

May 19, 2021
P3R close to 2M with the game still available on Gamepass?

mitsuru-burning-money.gif

Last edited:

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious too. I think the appetite (or potential cap) for JRPGs is much larger than many people give credit. Pokémon is one of the largest franchises on the planet, and I personally give it a lot of credit for familiarizing generations of people with turn-based RPGs.

Anime is more mainstream than ever, but I think "anime" games still have an uphill battle to fight. I do agree that the potential market for JRPGs is much bigger than it appears. Largely, I think high quality JRPGs have been an underserved niche for a looong time with even FF moving away from traditional JRPG experiences. I also honestly think that the biggest JRPG audience is on Switch + PC and not Playstation anymore.

Majunior

Jun 20, 2019
Persona honestly feels signifcantly more popular than what P5's sales would suggest. I think P6 is going to be significantly bigger than P5.

Chiharu

Apr 10, 2020
White Space
How did some people here manage to make a persona thread about ff? đź’€
But I love this for persona! I won't bother buying P3R until it's down to at least $40 (if femc was included or they'd at least bothered including the male party members' social links, it would have been day one 🤷‍♀️), but I'm excited for P6. I really hope they let you play a female protagonist, but I'm sure they won't...

Kirby64

Aug 16, 2020
How did some people here manage to make a persona thread about ff? đź’€
But I love this for persona! I won't bother buying P3R until it's down to at least $40 (if femc was included or they'd at least bothered including the male party members' social links, it would have been day one 🤷‍♀️), but I'm excited for P6. I really hope they let you play a female protagonist, but I'm sure they won't...
Stuff is always going to be compared to the market leader. You know, aside from pokemon....

lucancel

Oct 30, 2017
Italy

Imho One of main persona appeal Is the setting, metaphor lacks of real modern japan setting.
Yet i cannot wait to play It and Hope p6 Is next one.
Imho It Will do Better than smt, now atlus should put a p6 demo on It to sell it

Majunior

Jun 20, 2019
I feel like we won't have an idea of how much of a cap there is for traditional JRPGs until Persona stagnates commercially. If P6 is good and it only does around P5 numbers, than we'd have a general idea for how large the audience is.

TheElderKing

Jul 31, 2020
I mean:

- P3R is already out.
- P1/P2 are rumored to be remasters, not full blown remakes

So...yes lol. P1/P2, if the same gameplay is retained (some of has not aged well), absolutely wont do nearly as well as a full blown P4 Remake.

I'd agree with that statement.

If we're talking about the core fanbase, it could be a toss up between P1/P2/P4, but if we talk about overall sales, it's more likely that P4 remake would sell more of P1/P2 remaster, because of how wildly different they are from P3/P4/P5, and what the average player that increased their sale would expect from a Persona game.

Given how successful P3R is, I think it's quite possible that they'd focus on a similar path for a P4R: use the base of P6 to remake the game without adding really much.

I'd like to hope they won't release the Golden content separately, as well as not repeating the whole P5/P5R situation, but it's Atlus, so it's better to expect them to do so.

I feel like we won't have an idea of how much of a cap there is for traditional JRPGs until Persona stagnates commercially. If P6 is good and it only does around P5 numbers, than we'd have a general idea for how large the audience is.

It'll also depend on the platforms where it'll be released. The expectations should be quite different if it'll be released exclusively on PS5 (which is very unlikely to happen at this point, but you never know), compared to a PS5/Series X/S and PC release, or one where it'll be released day on on Switch 2 as well.

Last edited:

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Is Persona bigger than Final Fantasy now?
If they ever release a Persona 6 we might get an actual answer to this.

Atm, it's hard to say.

Edit: I could be wrong, but I don't think Metaphor will be that big either, at least not bigger than P5 imo. I have quite a few friends who love Persona and are waiting for P6, but only a couple of them seem interested in Metaphor and even they are not fully sold on it atm.

TheElderKing

Jul 31, 2020
I love Persona 4 but I'd rather wait until P6 is out before giving that a remake
Based on the rumours, it won't come out before P6.

I do wonder if, in regards of the map of the game, they'll keep Inaba as it was originally or expand it/make it an open map, due to having released P6 before, if the latter is going to change the way they go around the city/world in Persona games.

Dragon78

May 6, 2024
I wish SMT and the non-Persona Megaten games made close to this kind of money. I mean if the first two DDS games made good money we would be at least on game number 4 at this point.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
nahh ya'll sleeping on Metaphor. It's still a while away, marketings not anywhere near spun up. Its gonna do good numbers. I'd be VERY surprised if SMT5V outperformed it, tbh. Neither's gonna come close to persona though, ofc.