• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Currently
RT: 90
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/pet_sematary_2019

MC: 71
https://www.metacritic.com/movie/pet-sematary-2019

The wrap
Its terrifying story about death still leaves audiences with much to think about long after the credits roll, and the twists that lead to a new ending are fun to follow. Thirty years after the original movie frightened audiences, its source material has given new life to one of the best Stephen King adaptations in the past decade.

THR
The book's creepy premise justifies this modern second look, which proves to be a solid if not earthshaking horror pic built around notably good performances.

Oct 25, 2017
So excited for this! Between this, Us, and Midsomar coming out later this year it's a pretty good year for horror movies.

Oct 27, 2017
The original was solid but I've been looking forward to the remake for a while. So much that could've been easily improved on and it looks like they've gotten it right.

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Everyone has been talking about how the trailer shows the whole movie. I am certain the familiar shots from that trailer were misdirection. There's going to be some twists. Looking forward to this one.

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone has been talking about how the trailer shows the whole movie. I am certain the familiar shots from that trailer were misdirection. There's going to be some twists. Looking forward to this one.

As someone who has read the book, I can confirm that there is already a pretty major change shown in the trailer.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Just got out of seeing this. Not bad. I'm still debating if I liked this one better than the original, I mean its certainly looks better and the acting is better but the original felt creepier.

I will say this:

Spoiling that the daughter was the one that dies was such a mistake because they do everything right before that point to make you think it's going to be Gage like the original. Though don't worry, they add a lot of new stuff and the ending is completely different.

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
Saw this today. Woah boy, that final 30 minutes or so certainly is a trip. lol I knew from the reviews that they changed a lot of stuff but I wasn't expecting that at all.

Still unsure how I feel about it. It's absolutely a better looking and acted movie than the original but it wasn't anything special or all that scary really bar 1 or 2 scenes.

- The Zelda stuff was so disappointing. Did we even get a full shot of her? It was all half shots and quick cut-aways for some reason.

- No Norma once again. Why do they keep doing this!? She's a pivotal character in bringing Jud and Louis closer and Jud telling Louis about the burial ground in the first place. I was also puzzled at Jud's reaction to Ellie's death as they only had 1 or 2 scenes together. We needed a lot more time between those two characters for that kind of reaction scene.

- Cat is evil again (though far less so than the older movie thankfully) instead of just walking funny and being smelly. Why would you bury your daughter there when you saw what the cat came back as?

These plot points make no sense when you remove those aspects of the story. Why can't they get this right?

- The graveyard scene and the turmoil and pain Louis goes through trying to get in and out is my favourite part of the book.
Here he just hops a waist high stone wall and the scene is done in 30 seconds. Fuck sake.

+ All the cult stuff hinted at with the masked kids in the trailer was thankfully just a red herring. That would have been awful.

+ The look of Church was absolutely perfect. I don't know if that was a CG cat at points or just an incredibly well trained real one but they got it spot on. Well, apart from it being angry all the time. At least he didn't throw a rat at Louis!

+ I liked the big twist of Ellie dying instead of Gage. Ellie is the one you have a greater connection to and it hits harder when it's she that dies. Gage is a bit of a nothing character in this movie.

+ All the stuff with Louis and Ellie after she comes back was great and creepy as fuck. The acting from that young girl was amazing.

- The second big change of Ellie dragging her mother to the burial grounds was a bit ridiculous. It got very schlocky at that point. How did she even drag her up over that tree?

- The zombie family final shot. lol

Worth watching. But don't expect a faithful adaptation of the book is all.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
Unfamiliar with the book and I saw the original movie a loooong time ago so I'll be going into this one pretty fresh. Trailer looks great, glad to hear it's reviewing well.

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Now give us a shot-for-shot remake of Pet Semetary 2.

Real shame it just left Hulu. More people should experience the craziness of that movie.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I'm glad it's reviewed pretty well. I just read the book, though I'd seen the original movie before and liked it. Pet Sematary 2, although it's not great by any means.

I might go tonight, but probably not.

Blue Lou

Oct 26, 2017
D3UDDg8XkAAKbZG.jpg

Church was acted by four different cats
Gage was acted by twins.

It was a bit daft, a bit fun. I never read the book and had only seen the other movie.

I also liked the truck accident twist
The car door lock noise at the very end was daft, the child was nowhere near the locks.
Now that they're all dead, where are they going to live? Their house will be sold on.

Last edited:

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Kinda surprised this is reviewing so well, though I did notice the score has dropped quite a bit since those early SXSW reviews.

I thought it was a competent remake but not really much more - it wasn't as laughable as the original and did basically everything better, but the direction was super flat and lacking in atmosphere, a lot of the editing was really awful and only John Lithgow and the girl was really gave good performances.

The CGI and fake slow-mo during the truck scene was SO bad.

The "twist" was clearly meant to be surprising so it's a shame the trailers ruined it like 2 months ago lmao

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
How is Lithgow? Having found the courage to watch the original recently and just listening to Dexter Morgan bring Judd to life in the audio book, this accentless Lithgow got me feeling off.

Plus the fact that the trailer implies
Ellie gets killed instead of gage
has me feeling like a real book snob

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there Achilles tendon stuff in this one? Can't handle that after the original - still creeps me out.

Blue Lou

Oct 26, 2017
ZackieChan

There is but it's less than one second. Most of it's in the trailer in my post above.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
Just got back. I enjoyed my time with this one, its plays out the way you expect but its done well enough.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Having just read the book last month I found this pretty bad. There is no close relationship developed between Louis and Judd which make the plot developments seem totally off to me.

ahoyle

Feb 16, 2018
Saw it last night.

Its good to ok. After the run of horror we had the last few years it certainly isnt anything that special.

Thought the girl gave an amazing performance though. She actually carried the movie.

Jul 18, 2018
Damn. I'm reading the book right now, about 70% through. I was planning on finishing it and watching this movie but I guess I should just wait till it hits home video right? I saw the original when I was young but kind of forgot it

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Damn. I'm reading the book right now, about 70% through. I was planning on finishing it and watching this movie but I guess I should just wait till it hits home video right? I saw the original when I was young but kind of forgot it

Yeah give it space. I did the same thing in anticipation for the movie. I loved the book. Kinda hated the movie.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Just saw this after not having seen the original or read the book and liked it well enough, better than It Chapter 2 at least, but holy shit that 2nd trailer really does give basically everything away.

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The OP was very confusing. I thought there was another Pet Sematary film and was like, wth when did this happen after the mediocre one last year and how did it do so well critically? Then I saw the date.

$10 Bagel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The OP was very confusing. I thought there was another Pet Sematary film and was like, wth when did this happen after the mediocre one last year and how did it do so well critically? Then I saw the date.
I mean, the question you asked yourself still applies.

I have no idea how this did so well critically. It was probably the most forgetful movie of 2019.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Necrobump is ok since the movie released on Netflix not long ago over here :P

It was awful, honestly. Well, the first 20 minutes before i quit were anyway.
Cinematography, absolutely unnecessary use of by-the-numbers creepy music, the way the movie actively tries to erase Gage from the family (i mean, at one point mom and daughter wander into the woods presumably leaving him home alone, wtf ??) which gives away what I imagine is the major twist
he doesn't get run over by a truck. The girl does ? I quit before that part
I expected to enjoy Lithgow at least, but am I supposed to believe they built a strong enough relationship with the family he can talk to the father about the Native American burial place after sharing the screen for a whole 14 seconds ?
Nah, it was rubbish.

EDIT: read the spoilers above, it's not like i'm ever going to watch or enjoy the rest of this anyway.
Yep, just like i thought. I mean, the movie does absolutely nothing to make you remember Gage even exists.

Most SK adaptations concentrate on the horror aspect and forget what makes a lot of his books great: it's the people, it's the relationship between the characters and exploring their believable reactions to unbelievable events.

Last edited:

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I thought it was fine but I think my standards are lower than average. I am surprised at the stark difference between the critic scores and all the negative reactions I've heard

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, the question you asked yourself still applies.

I have no idea how this did so well critically. It was probably the most forgetful movie of 2019.
I mean that's the confusing part, because Pet Sematary ended up with a mid-50 RT score, so it didn't do too well critically. It's just that apparently it started out very strong at 90%, as per the OP, but evidently it nosedived to what it is now -- and has been for months.

Anywhoooo, I too found it pretty meh, but for someone who never read the books nor seen the earlier film adaption in the 90s, it was watchable. I've seen worse horror films, especially in the last couple of years, but definitely much better ones as well. I'd rate it 5 out of 10 personally.

Coleslaw

Nov 3, 2018
I personally think orange juice is an overrated drink. The only kind I like is the kind with the pulp still in it. Fresh squeezed mmmmm.

$10 Bagel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean that's the confusing part, because Pet Sematary ended up with a mid-50 RT score, so it didn't do too well critically. It's just that apparently it started out very strong at 90%, as per the OP, but evidently it nosedived to what it is now -- and has been for months.

Anywhoooo, I too found it pretty meh, but for someone who never read the books nor seen the earlier film adaption in the 90s, it was watchable. I've seen worse horror films, especially in the last couple of years, but definitely much better ones as well. I'd rate it 5 out of 10 personally.
Yeah a 50% is accurate. It wasn't that bad, my issue was just that it was forgettable. I didn't realize it fell off critically after release

Probably because the trailers spoiled literally everything, and being that I go to the movies at least once a week, sometimes up to 3 times, all I saw for weeks were trailers for this movie.