• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Full article here: http://www.rightwingwatch.org/post/youtubes-biggest-personality-promoted-an-anti-semite/

Felix Kjellberg, a Swedish YouTube personality best known online by his account name "PewDiePie," promoted, in one of his video offerings, another YouTube account that has posted white nationalist and anti-Semitic content. At the time of this article, Kjellberg has more than 75 million subscribers on YouTube, making his channel the most popular on the gargantuan video platform, and broadcasts to an audience that skews younger in age.

At the end of a video published on December 9, Kjellberg included a YouTube channel operating under the name "E;R" in his list of recommended channels. The shout-out was noticed by members of the progressive YouTube community, who sounded an alarm.

"We also have E;R, who does great video essays about—he did one on Death Note, which I really, really enjoyed," Kjellberg said. He also linked to the E;R channel in the video description, which has received 15,000 additional subscribers and more than 70,000 video new views since Kjellberg's plug.

In the video description of the Death Note video essay Kjellberg promoted, E;R posts: "The truth about why this took so long is because I thought it was so funny to call Black L "Niglet" throughout all my recordings (obviously because it's an ingenious pun on Lawliet [pronounced Law-let]). I eventually got it through my thick fucking skull that YouTube's looking for A N Y reason, so I redid all the audio to erase my speech crime, but then I got bored and put the project on pause."

In the same video, the user jokes about the murder of Heather Heyer, who died after a neo-Nazi protester at the Unite the Right white supremacist gathering in Charlottesville, Virginia, in 2017, plowed his car into a group of protesters, reiterating the white nationalist myth that Heyer actually died of a heart attack.

On their YouTube channel, the user posting as E;R has uploaded anti-Semitic content, and on Gab the user has openly discussed the "Jewish Question" conspiracy theory popular in white nationalist circles. In January, the user bragged about seeing footage from one of their videos in a Kjellberg post.

On Twitter, the "E;R" account has posted referring to Jews as "them"—common usage in white nationalist circles—and re-posted jokes about Hitler.

How long before he's forced to apologize?

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
Not shocked at all. Probably defend it saying "I watched the one video and liked it" or something, as if he can casually recommend millions of kids to someone he hadn't vetted.

Kotto

CEO of Traphouse Networks
Nov 3, 2017
One day, Youtube will doing something. One day.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
But don't forget to subscribe kids. PewDiePie has to beat T-Series or Christmas will be cancelled this year!

TerminusFox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You mean the guy who said nigger on his channel so casually, would be racist and promotes other racists?

pretendstobeshocked.gif

Ms.Galaxy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You mean the guy who screamed rape jokes back in the early 2010s and said the n word a while ago is still a piece of shit? I had no idea.

YawZah

Oct 30, 2017
Pewdiepie's callout garnered him a nice 16.000 subscriber increase over the 2 day period:

wc3NFxU.png

Source.

One example of E;R's bigoted content is the video, "Pearl Lies Shamelessly to Steven":

1. 1:30 it lists many Jewish celebrities, this is an anti-Semitic tactic called "naming the Jew" meant to accuse them of some wrongdoing for their success.
  2. 2:10 it displays the text "CUT THE (((GEMS))) SPACE WAR NOW" which is a reference to the anti-Semitic catchphrase "Gas the Jews, race war now". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_parentheses
  3. 2:40 it dogwhistles yet another anti-Semitic canard which claims that Jews are humanity's greatest threat, the same used to justify the holocaust.
Source u/shatteredfondant

Another example would be his video "Steven Rapeyverse, Or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love to Fuse", which ends with a 2:30 min long Hitler speech railing against MSM and Jews.

FPGonfu.png

A5Ce0Oq.png

Full breakdown of the situation regarding Pewdiepie and E;R by Hasan Piker from TYT and why this is so problematic.

E;R revealing his MO:

v1perz53

Oct 25, 2017
Not shocked at all. Probably defend it saying "I watched the one video and liked it" or something, as if he can casually recommend millions of kids to someone he hadn't vetted.

I don't like pewdiepie at all, but he always struck me as someone who would do exactly that, recommend something he hadn't vetted due to laziness and taking the easy way out. That doesn't make it ok, but I definitely think it is 50/50 that he knew about the content vs he didn't and still promoted the channel.

Shitty either way though, promoting something like that knowingly or through ignorance.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
Whaaaaat? You mean he keeps doing racist/anti-semitic shit despite the fact that we told the people defending him that he'd do it again?

giphy.gif

RellikSK

Nov 1, 2017
My jaw dropped when I saw the Heather Hyer heart attack joke and further when the JQ dogwhistles in the Hasan Piker video.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm blown away that this jackass had a full angry racist moment of repeatedly screaming 'Nigger' at someone, and the media/his fans moved on from the ordeal like it didn't happen less than a year ago.

If there was ever a time for the Pikachu shocked-face meme, it's now. Like what the fuck did you people expect from this piece of shit?

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017

The issue is that he totally can because outside of platform holders like YouTube and Twitch there's nobody he really answers to. There's no vetting for the qualifications of streamer celebs and they don't have agents/management/network execs making sure they don't ruin their image. Millions of kids just decide some teenager who is good at video games should be a celebrity and all of a sudden that idiot kid has a ton of influence on the next generation.

Protein

Oct 27, 2017
Totally not irresponsible to recommend anti-jew YouTube channels from your own channel that has millions of kids subscribed. Nope.

This is fine.jpeg

Ponn

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Come on guys, give him a 105th chance. He will for sure learn his lesson and change this time.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't forget to subscribe so we can beat the browns together
Btw I'm a good guy I gave some money once

Deleted member 8777

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't like pewdiepie at all, but he always struck me as someone who would do exactly that, recommend something he hadn't vetted due to laziness and taking the easy way out. That doesn't make it ok, but I definitely think it is 50/50 that he knew about the content vs he didn't and still promoted the channel.

Shitty either way though, promoting something like that knowingly or through ignorance.
pretty hard to deny this one tho

QJ97YU7.jpg

Deleted member 11093

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

this guy does youtube for a living
there's zero doubt he didn't check the guy's channel

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
At this point he does it because he's a shitty edge lord and he knows he can ruffle people's feathers while facing no consequences.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
One example of E;R's bigoted content is the video, "Pearl Lies Shamelessly to Steven":

1. 1:30 it lists many Jewish celebrities, this is an anti-Semitic tactic called "naming the Jew" meant to accuse them of some wrongdoing for their success.
  2. 2:10 it displays the text "CUT THE (((GEMS))) SPACE WAR NOW" which is a reference to the anti-Semitic catchphrase "Gas the Jews, race war now". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_parentheses
  3. 2:40 it dogwhistles yet another anti-Semitic canard which claims that Jews are humanity's greatest threat, the same used to justify the holocaust.
Source u/shatteredfondant

E;R revealing his MO:

Holy shit, this video is terrifying. The thoughts of kids stumbling on this video turns my stomach.

Order

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And in 2 weeks we'll all just forget this and act surprised when he does some more fuckery.

Rinse and repeat.

DevilPuncher

"This guy are sick" and Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly think that Pewdiepie can't not fuck up at this point.