• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Right but he made it seem as though he was done wrong by the ADL, instead of what actually happened, which is that he made a video joking about the holocaust, and then made a really shitty non-apology for it, and the ADL reacted. They didn't 'speak out against him' they 'corrected his abhorrent behavior.'
True

Off topic but I can't hear a reference to someone being corrected without thinking of Mr. Grady from The Shining

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
shouldn't he donate the money to a pro muslim organization given that the victims of the christ church shooting (the reason for his donation in the fist place) were muslims? yeah the ADL is definitely the wrong organization to give the money to in that case

what the hell are all these reactions on the first page?

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
What even is this thread? He says he's still going to donate the money, but he's going to make sure it's to a good charity this time and not one with loads of issues like ADL.

Do people not read the articles before posting their hot takes? I get PDP isn't liked and should have done better research, but damn.
What's the more likely cause behind the fan backlash? That they are passionate supporters of the palestinian independence movement and are concerned that the ADL's interests don't align with it? Or because they loved his 'kill all jews' jokes and actively hate the Jewish population?

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I'm legitimately curious why he would get the benefit of the doubt from anybody at all about this lol
Have you guys not been paying attention with his M.O or what

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
Considering the "fan backlash" is from his 4chan fanboys who were ranting about Jewish conspiracies, it's funny that some people in this thread are pretending he wants to do research so he can donate the money to a more progressive charity instead.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
The ADL donation got backlash because of their anti-Muslim trends/stances. I'm pretty sure that's why he changed his mind. Also, the OP failed to mention that he's still going to donate, just to a different organization.

Oh I'm sure the thousands of straight up Nazi and hate jews posts on his Youtube page had nothing to do with it.

flyover

Oct 26, 2017
Wow, almost like people were right to be skeptical of this.

A lot of celebrities pledge money that they never go through with giving. I'm not entirely shocked that this is the case here, but I am shocked that he didn't just let it fall out of the news cycle.
And whether they go through with it or not, it's all about reputation laundering anyway--which is pretty much what he proved here with his comments about "picking a charity that [he] was advised to."

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
[Kjellberg said he's still going to donate the $50,000, which he received as a sponsorship from Honey. He hasn't announced which charity will receive the money, but said he plans to take his time with it. The Verge has reached out to the ADL and Kjellberg's team for further comment.

I am not even a fan of the guy but the selective quoting in the OP is obvious.

The article reads like he was informed on the ADL and didn't like their stance so he will give it someone else.

Chris McQueen

Self-requested ban
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
London
giphy.gif

Deleted member 41183

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Don't forget to mention that he did say he will be donating to another charity after he's able to properly research.

Did he break his research muscle before today?

He had months to find, research, and announce a donation and he apparently chose one without doing due diligence (a pattern with him, it seems). He was under no time pressure, afaik, to announce a donation to anyone.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
On one hand, the ADL isn't great as a bunch of people posted in the last thread

On the other hand lmao @ "especially since they've outright spoken against me"

THEY SPOKE OUT AGAINST YOU BECAUSE YOU MADE A SIGN THAT SAYS "DEATH TO ALL JEWS"

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
If anything, I was impressed originally that he spelled out that he knew the ADL criticized him for the things he was (supposedly) changing about his behavior. Going back on this (and admitting that it was a slap-dash decision unrelated to the actual cause involved) looks terrible, and burns away the goodwill he could have earned.

I know there are broader concerns about the ADL, but I could understand the rationale of choosing it because of its historical focus on antisemitism considering PDP's own pattern of antisemitism.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Also, what the fuck is this shit about a charity he's "passionate about"????? What he's passionate about has nothing to do with the reasons why people hate him.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not going to say anything specific about PDP as Ive never watched anything from him except for snippets when he gets in the news, but this seems like just any other garbage YouTuber starting "drama" for subs and exposure. We should just ignore these things. PDP is not going to ever "change for the better" as long as doing that is not going to make him money and paying attention to everything he does only gives him what he wants.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
ERA be like

*PDP donating to ASL*

"Of course he had to choose the Anti Islamic and shitty ASL for his publicity stunt"

*PDP pulls donation to donate to another organisation after better research*

"Fuckin shithead has no spine, of course he listens to his fans"

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
If anything, I was impressed originally that he spelled out that he knew the ADL criticized him for the things he was (supposedly) changing about his behavior. Going back on this (and admitting that it was a slap-dash decision unrelated to the actual cause involved) looks terrible, and burns away the goodwill he could have earned.

I know there are broader concerns about the ADL, but I could understand the rationale of choosing it because of its historical focus on antisemitism considering PDP's own pattern of antisemitism.

Yep. People in this thread defending him are showing their asses.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What's the more likely cause behind the fan backlash? That they are passionate supporters of the palestinian independence movement and are concerned that the ADL's interests don't align with it? Or because they loved his 'kill all jews' jokes and actively hate the Jewish population?
Beats me. His fanbase is 50 million+ strong. With that big a group to work with, there were probably both sides telling him to stop.

I've had problems with PDP before, like his use of the N-word. But if he's trying to change, then I'll at least give him the benefit of the doubt until he does something to break that benefit. Him pulling a donation to a shitty organization, and donating to a better organization isn't enough for me to break that benefit.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
ERA be like

*PDP donating to ASL*

"Of course he had to choose the Anti Islamic and shitty ASL for his publicity stunt"

It's almost like different people have different criticisms about two different, shitty things.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Not going to judge him until he does announce the charity that he's "100 percent behind".

Jacobson

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I gave him the benefit of the doubt. This honestly sucks. Hoping he should at least donate to a better charity.

Murlin

Feb 12, 2019
So there are some legitimate criticisms of the ADL, like their opposition to the BDS movement, but I'm 100% sure that's not what he's talking about and he was fed some "Jewish money" bullshit by his right-wing fans.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
The quoting used in the OP is rather misleading imo. He was already aware that ADL had been critical of him, it's not the reason why he pulled it. "Kjellberg previously addressed the criticism against his donation in a recently deleted tweet, acknowledging that "making a donation to the ADL doesn't make sense to everyone, especially since they've outright spoken against me."
We can criticize both the charity and the absolute idiotic way PDP has handled the situation.
Sure we can, but we can't criticize him for intending to donate to bad organization and then criticize him again when he doesn't when new information for him popped up. Like do you think this should be the charity to donate to or not? You can't have it both ways.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
ERA be like

*PDP donating to ASL*

Sure if your comprehension of the world around you is paper thin that's exactly what is happening :)

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
Are you a supporter of this charity then and believe he should have donated to them?

withdrawing donation from ADL: good

doing it mainly to stop his fans from posting antisemitic shit on his content: bad

see how that works? two things can be true at the same time

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
ERA be like

*PDP donating to ASL*

The problem was he listened to his Nazi fans.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why in the actual fuck would anyone ever give him the benefit of the doubt over this?

He gives one single concrete reason as to why he's not donating to them, and that's that they've criticized him in the past.

If you think for a single second he's pulling out because of sensitive, liberal critiques of the ADL and their aims, you're a credulous fool.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Are you a supporter of this charity then and believe he should have donated to them?

I think it's weird that a swedish guy is donating to charities outside of his country. If I had his money and time, I would help anti-racist orgs in my neck of the woods.

This whole thing was a publicity stunt.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
ERA be like

*PDP donating to ASL*

almost like those stance aren't mutually exclusive.

Narpas Sword0

Oct 28, 2017
Wow, almost like people were right to be skeptical of this.

A lot of celebrities pledge money that they never go through with giving. I'm not entirely shocked that this is the case here, but I am shocked that he didn't just let it fall out of the news cycle.

It's the opposite. He needs this to be visible because the retraction is a virtue signal to his bigoted fan base. If he quietly didn't do it he wouldn't get the street cred from the people paying his bills.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
I assume his fans are all alt-right nazi trolls from 4chan and T_D. So it's not surprising the backlash he received. His feed is pure trash and hatred.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
But if he's trying to change, then I'll at least give him the benefit of the doubt until he does something to break that benefit.

His donation announcement was literally the mainstream media slandered me and that's why I got quoted by a psychopath. So I'm donating money to ADL even though they unfairly criticized me because of the mainstream media. So I can move on.

Where on earth did you get he's trying to change from that