ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Never had the chance to play this game on the Genesis, but I did grow up playing Phantasy Star 3 (finished both that and 4). I tried to play 2 at some point later and it was rough. I just remember having to deal with constant random battles and confusing labyrinth designs, and I would find myself getting lost trying to figure out what to do or where to go next.

Deleted member 6215

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Playing this right now with a copy of the Sega Ages Collection (PSN version) on a PS3, hooked up to a CRT...and it's incredible. Not going to lie, though, I'm taking full advantage of the XP, money, and walking speed boosts.

OP
OP
SharpX68K

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Now adding Game Players and EGM short strategy guides (warning, spoilers)

YskIqgp.jpg

--

mMw9M6B.jpg

EGM Game Over - Ending - Mega Spoilers! https://i.imgur.com/UQNhcas.jpg

Last edited:

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I loved it when it came out. Along with Madden 92 and NHL 94 it's in the very upper echelon of Genesis games for me.

SkywardBeam

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed PS1 immensely playing the Sega Ages version, so much that I definitely want to play PS2 someday. But I heard you're moving extremely slow in PS2 and battles are rather drawn out as well. Is this correct? As a Sega Ages release of this game will almost definitely never see the light of day, what's the best way to play PS2 nowadays? I planned to get the Sega Megadrive Collection for Switch, but I read the collection is plagued by enormous input lags. Will I notice this in any way when playing PS2? And has the collection version any QOL features comparable to the Sega Ages release of PS1 that make the experience "smoother", so to say?

Deleted member 6215

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed PS1 immensely playing the Sega Ages version, so much that I definitely want to play PS2 someday. But I heard you're moving extremely slow in PS2 and battles are rather drawn out as well. Is this correct? As a Sega Ages release of this game will almost definitely never see the light of day, what's the best way to play PS2 nowadays? I planned to get the Sega Megadrive Collection for Switch, but I read the collection is plagued by enormous input lags. Will I notice this in any way when playing PS2? And has the collection version any QOL features comparable to the Sega Ages release of PS1 that make the experience "smoother", so to say?

If you have a PS3, this is the best way to play:

blueskiesdaily.wordpress.com

Phantasy Star Complete Collection (PS2 / PS3)

The Phantasy Star Complete Collection (developed by emulation masters M2) was originally released on the Playstation 2 in 2008 as a celebration of the series’ 20th anniversary, but unfortunately on…

Follow the instructions at the end on how to make a Japanese PSN account.

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017
Great job on the OP! Two things jumped out at me from the reporting on the game.
A six-meg follow-up to the number one Master System cart of all time.
For starters, I'd forgotten about the past fixation on the filesize of a game. It just goes to show that gamers have always been obsessed with arbitrary features (*cough* TFLOPs *cough*) and you never know which ones looking back will seem silly and irrelevant.

Add in a battery pack back-up and a hundred hours of playtime and you had one of the few cartridges that was worth the $60 price tag.
Adjusted for inflation, the original Phantasy Star that cost $60 in 1987 was the equivalent of a $140 game in 2020. That's insane!

OP
OP
SharpX68K

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Great job on the OP! Two things jumped out at me from the reporting on the game.

For starters, I'd forgotten about the past fixation on the filesize of a game. It just goes to show that gamers have always been obsessed with arbitrary features (*cough* TFLOPs *cough*) and you never know which ones looking back will seem silly and irrelevant.

Thanks. I agree with you!

Adjusted for inflation, the original Phantasy Star that cost $60 in 1987 was the equivalent of a $140 game in 2020. That's insane!

Actually, the original Phantasy Star on the Sega Master System retailed for $70 in the U.S., and released in 1988.

Phantasy Star II retailed for $80 and I think PSIII did as well. PSIV was $100. >__<

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Dragon Warrior for the NES in 1989 was my introduction to the RPG genre. I couldn't get into it. Turn based RPG's were never fun on the 8-bit format.

Phantasy Star 2 came after, and while I appreciated the game's presentation for the most part, I may have been turned off by the choice to stage the battles on a grid battlefield and its very ambivalent ending.

Phantasy Star 3 was a complete turd and nearly shut me out of the genre altogether until I played Final Fantasy II on the SNES.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
I've tried to love PS2 for a long time but I feel its almost a total backstep from PS1.

I love the story beats but I think its nowhere near as fun as PS1 to play, also it doesn't really look as nice, and definitely doesn't sound as nice.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Dragon Warrior for the NES in 1989 was my introduction to the RPG genre. I couldn't get into it. Turn based RPG's were never fun on the 8-bit format.

Phantasy Star 2 came after, and while I appreciated the game's presentation for the most part, I may have been turned off by the choice to stage the battles on a grid battlefield and its very ambivalent ending.

Phantasy Star 3 was a complete turd and nearly shut me out of the genre altogether until I played Final Fantasy II on the SNES.
Different strokes. I've probably enjoyed more 8-bit RPGs than I have 16- or 32-bit.
I've tried to love PS2 for a long time but I feel its almost a total backstep from PS1.

I love the story beats but I think its nowhere near as fun as PS1 to play, also it doesn't really look as nice, and definitely doesn't sound as nice.
I do agree with this. The biggest problem with the game IMO is the screen flashing that happens every single time an enemy attacks you. It make the game nearly unplayable to me.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh, those dungeons suck though...
Ha ha, yeah.

Increasing walking speed, lowering the encounter rate and getting rid of that annoying foreground "it's all pipes!" layer would go a LONG way towards making them more palatable. The Generations remake only did one of those things but that clearly wasn't enough.

Soupbones

Oct 26, 2017
Probably my favorite game of all time. The first game was my gateway drug into RPGs, but this game topped it in every way. Best in the series imo.

Still remember grinding till 3am to finally learn the Megid technique. And that ending was mind blowing at the time lol.

OP
OP
SharpX68K

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
That is an amazing opening post for an amazing game. I'm glad you bumped the thread!

Thanks.

I'm currently playing through the fan-translated PlayStation 2 remake (Phantasy Star Generation 2)

Although the PlayStation 2 remakes of Phantasy Star I and II are not liked by all fans, I really think they did a good job on the overhead graphics.

i.e. Nido Tower from the original 16-bit release, and the PlayStation 2 version.

sjyX1bk.gif
hecChYU.jpg

Nocturno

Oct 27, 2017
I finished it with the guide when I was a kid.

I was fortunate to play PS 1 first thanks to the master System Converter for the Genesis. I loved both games so much and they aged very well.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't have a Genesis growing up, but I did have one of those Sega Smash Packs when they released them on PC. That was my first exposure to Phantasy Star and I loved it, but it had a weird glitch (memory's a little foggy), where the game would crash after an hour and you couldn't save your progress. So I played the beginning of PS2 a lotttt, but never actually progressed past that.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
I love SEGA and Phantasy Star 2... but even back then I was unimpressed with its graphics. I still think today that the original on SMS looks superior in almost everything.

But it's a classic. Before the revolutionary Final Fantasies (VI and up) this was the pinnacle.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I only completed it a year or two ago for the first time. Amazing game and my favourite of the 4 - great music and atmosphere. I do miss the dungeons from the first game. As a kid that title screen was used in Mega Drive promos and it looked amazing and gothic, but I didn't think RPGs were for me so avoided it, it took until Secret of Mana and ALTTP until I dipped my toe in.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I borrowed my friends Gensis and rented the game for 10 days where I played it non stop to finish it.

We used to share our consoles to play some games that were not on our systems.

I later bought a used Genesis to play PS4.

The Phantasy Star games didn't seem very popular on Genesis. At least not with my friends who were either into arcade games or sports games.

OP
OP
SharpX68K

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Playing this right now with a copy of the Sega Ages Collection (PSN version) on a PS3, hooked up to a CRT...and it's incredible. Not going to lie, though, I'm taking full advantage of the XP, money, and walking speed boosts.

I've also been playing the original on PS3 hooked up to a CRT with Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection.

Soupbones

Oct 26, 2017
Any word on how good the Sega Genesis Classics version of this game is? (Switch)

i recall not hearing great things - but the thought of conveniently playing this on my Switch might be too hard to pass up...

jay

Oct 25, 2017
Played it in 1990 and still think it's not a worthy follow up to the first game. Give me some fucking battle backgrounds.

Porkepik

Oct 27, 2017
oooh man now I do feel old,. was 15 and still feel like it was not that long ago...damn 30 years . as much as i don't remember much before I was 10, everything after that is still vivid especially the memories regarding the rpgs I played

Erpy

May 31, 2018
How was the PS2 remake? I noticed that it got fan translated a while back but never got around to checking it out.

It's fairly similar to the original game for the most part. They added some stuff to make up for some of the original's shortcomings. There's an option to disable the pipe overlays now which makes navigating easier. (the dungeons are still largely the same ludicrously convoluted mazes they were in the Genesis) There's now a suspend-option so you can save-and-quite in the middle of dungeons though if you get wiped it's still back to the nearest town until you get the visiphone. Benched allies now have the option of either receiving XP while you're out fighting or crafting unique equipment based on the number of battles you fight until you return home. (you can get some crazy good stuff this way that makes the game a lot more doable but it also requires a guide in order to get the right items and a lot of grinding trash mobs)

At first, party members (mostly Nei and Rudo/Rudger) occasionally comment when talking to NPCs, though this stops once you get the ability to swap party members in and out. The exceptions are a handful of conversations your party members have with some NPCs that are references to their text adventure games. There's a "talk" option just like in PS4, but again it stops actually involving conversations after the Biolab. Cutscenes now have slightly more text meaning there's slightly more context to the story.

There's no longer party-specific inventories. Everyone can use all items you're carrying. Extra items are now stored at your home. Melee attacks in battle now have a light, normal and heavy variation with the lighter ones being quicker (meaning they go before the monster turns more often) and the heavier ones doing more damage) You get experience bonuses at the end based on whether you were able to quickly destroy the opposition, but it's fairly shallow. You also have the ability to "guard" (similar to Mario RPG) by pressing the confirm button just before an enemy attack lands and reduce the damage and dodge chance. Each party member also has a "limit break" whose gauge is mostly charged by defending and that range from not worth using to practically gamebreaking. To offset this, enemies hit even harder than before and if you fail to make use of the equipment crafting and/or guard mechanic later on, you will get slaughtered.

There's also a well-known, but extremely obscure "easter egg" that allows you to finish the game with a full party assuming you jump through two billion hoops including having a clear save from the first game and then loading a clear save from the second game made with that first clear save.

For the most part, it's the same game with the same grindiness and tough-as-nails battles and dungeons, it just looks different and your options are slightly different.

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Has anybody picked up the Sega Ages 2500 Phantasy Star Generation 1 & 2 English translation projects, to work on fixing the critical bugs when running on real PS2 hardware?