Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, going to bed, no PSO on this Beta test I guess.

I imagine the licensing alone is a huge investment they have to overcome, they have to go and figure out all those different licensing agreements and which can be localized and which can't (there are a significant amount). They also have to spin up servers, support staff, localization, all of which have to be actively maintained going forward since it's a live game, so new content has to be adapted pretty consistently. All of that for an IP that doesn't really have a presence in the west outside of a Gamecube/Dreamcast game that launched multiple generations ago.

Like it's probably not obscene (at least imo, I have no idea), but I can imagine it being costly to bring something like PSO west and then maintain it. Especially when it might just find no audience and flop, and SEGA wasn't really in a position to eat a flop like that lightly. I feel like Japanese games had a bit of a resurgence in the last handful of years, but before that and even now I can see why SEGA never took the risk. It took having someone like Microsoft eat that risk for them and provide funding and servers and all that for them to finally bring it over.
I'm pretty harsh to Sega, but yeah, I guess you're right, it's like a mixture of the JSR remaster with WOW classic. It's a weird position they're in.

panama chief

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
I feel honored to at least have played a good bit of the tutorial around 8pm eastern. Sucks they didn't anticipate this at all. Couldn't they look at the amount of downloads as some sort of gauge?

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Kind of bummed that the only races besides Casts seem to be just humans with long ears and humans with a spike sticking out of their forehead.

To be fair, casts is a really cool option. Just expected something more than three different versions of handsome anime lad/lass.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
I imagine the licensing alone is a huge investment they have to overcome, they have to go and figure out all those different licensing agreements and which can be localized and which can't (there are a significant amount). They also have to spin up servers, support staff, localization, all of which have to be actively maintained going forward since it's a live game, so new content has to be adapted pretty consistently. All of that for an IP that doesn't really have a presence in the west outside of a Gamecube/Dreamcast game that launched multiple generations ago.

Like it's probably not obscene (at least imo, I have no idea), but I can imagine it being costly to bring something like PSO west and then maintain it. Especially when it might just find no audience and flop, and SEGA wasn't really in a position to eat a flop like that lightly. I feel like Japanese games had a bit of a resurgence in the last handful of years, but before that and even now I can see why SEGA never took the risk. It took having someone like Microsoft eat that risk for them and provide funding and servers and all that for them to finally bring it over.

Hypothetical crossover licensing issues didn't really exist early on when they made these decisions IIRC, and if the game wasn't successful enough to maintain as a "Live" service you simply apologize to fans, explain why, discontinue western content updates, and keep the base content running as long as viable.

Last edited:

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Everybody after downloading 68GB:

xmSf5Zg.gif

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Just got on to see nothing's working. Have kind of a full day planned tomorrow too so I doubt I'll get a chance to play much if any then :[

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
Think I'm calling it for the night, going to rest up to hopefully hit it hard early in the morning.

Godspeed late night Era.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Don't know what changed, but now when I try to choose a ship, it tells me the server is currently unavailable due to maintenance. Can't remember what it said before, but it was something different.

I'm falling asleep playing Fire Emblem though, so I think it may be time for me to go to bed and just hope I can dive right in once I wake up.

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

edit: Sorry, had assumed Ben and crew were able to play during stream. Had no idea that they had trouble getting in throughout stream

Last edited:

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Yeah, they need to extend this into Sunday and add additional quests. Neither of the Friday night quests will be possible which means to get all four rewards, you'll have to do four of the five Saturday quests.

masizzai

Nov 28, 2017
Yeah, they need to extend this into Sunday and add additional quests. Neither of the Friday night quests will be possible which means to get all four rewards, you'll have to do four of the five Saturday quests.
You can repeat the quests as many times as you want in the timeframe I thought?

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
I thought they were already extending this Sunday. I think that's what the message they sent out said

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Is there a group or friendlist I can add. I would like to play with yall. I'm a playstation user so I dont have xbox friends lol. I need some.

I'm currently downloading this from my xbox one x. Hoping to play tomorrow.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Fuuuu just pulled friends to join a pubg squad... Map just loaded, gonna crash a bike and then bail on them.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everyone is earning Dreamcast MAGs and I'm stuck in another city this weekend without access to my XB1 🙃🥴

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
You can repeat the quests as many times as you want in the timeframe I thought?
I don't see that mentioned on the Xbox post. And they only give half hour time frames for each quest.
Read the fine print
**Even though some Urgent Quests can be completed multiple times during their allotted time, only one completion per time slot will count towards the Special Rewards.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017

tweet text said:
Attention, Arks! We are deeply sorry for the issues that occurred today and for the delay, but we can now confirm that the servers are back up. While we decide on how to make up to you, our most dedicated operatives, we are updating the Urgent Quests schedule for tomorrow.
Really hope they extend the beta and add more quests to make up for the five hours lost. I'm going to sleep now.

valentine71

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Forgot to download and as i remember beta is only a day long. So probably won't have a chance to play but how is it guys? Is it good?