• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
www.gamespot.com

Phil Spencer Suggests Perfect Dark Reboot Helps Xbox Lineup Become Less Male-Oriented

In a recent interview, the head of Xbox said that the upcoming Perfect Dark reboot is important in part because the series has a female protagonist.
We don't know a lot about the upcoming Perfect Dark reboot for Xbox Series X, but Phil Spencer has now said that the fact that the series features a female protagonist is important for the console. In a recent interview, the head of Xbox told IGN Unlocked that details are thin on the ground for the reboot as of yet, but also said that main character Joanna Dark offers "a lot of modern opportunities" compared to the console's "men-with-guns" lineup.

"I think it's awesome that for us we can focus on a female protagonist in our lineup, we don't have a lot of that in our our first-party," he said. "I think Joanna offers a lot of modern opportunities that I love to see the team focusing on, having a strong protagonist..."

The new Perfect Dark game is being developed by The Initiative, which is a studio created specifically for the purpose of rebooting the series as its first project. The reboot is led by Darrel Gallagher, who formerly worked as the studio head for Crystal Dynamics during its reimagining of Tomb Raider.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
"I think it's awesome that for us we can focus on a female protagonist in our lineup, we don't have a lot of that in our our first-party,"
I don't mean no harm, but he says that like it is something he has no say in and can't do anything about

Wigdogger

Oct 27, 2017
I don't mean no harm, but he says that like it is something he has no say in and can't do anything about

I mean, the work is ongoing, right? It takes time to slough off the past shackles of dude-bro 360 land. I think they're getting there with Kait in Gears, the full character spectrum of Sea of Thieves, Senua (through an acquisition), characters in Bethesda/Arkane games, maybe Everwild, Starfield and other future RPGs. If anything, they have a lot of franchises with agency in terms of character creators, so that's something of a middle ground. I think they're actually in a much better place in terms of gender than they have been. But as always, that area -- and other areas of representation -- remain an ongoing project.

Edit: And add the protagonist, possibly, for State of Decay 3. Or The Gunk. Or any other number of projects that MS is putting out there. In fact, I'd say they are putting in more work than the other two big hardware groups on this front.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
In the past he's said he lets studios work on what they want to work on, and they don't have to meet certain quotas about genre or whatever, so that probably extends to the main cast of any given game. But that doesn't exclude work he could be doing with 3rd parties.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
He should fix it. But also don't people want him to be hands off creatively with the studios? Kinda a catch-22.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
I thought everyone wanted MS to be hands off in creative decisions? I expect who the main character is in a game is up to the individual devs. Hopefully they decide to this more, off the top of my head we have senua, kait, Joanna and? Feels like there should be much more.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You were saying?

recore-caratula.jpg

I have no idea who this character is.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
In the past he's said he lets studios work on what they want to work on, and they don't have to meet certain quotas about genre or whatever, so that probably extends to the main cast of any given game. But that doesn't exclude work he could be doing with 3rd parties.
I thought everyone wanted MS to be hands off in creative decisions? I expect who the main character is in a game is up to the individual devs. Hopefully they decide to this more, off the top of my head we have senua, kait, Joanna and? Feels like there should be much more.
Funny how hands off ALWAYS defaults to white straight male. That isn't a management thing, that is a cultural thing.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He's trying to give studios creative freedom. Mandating from the top down who they should have as protagonists isn't that. However, he can adjust the culture that drives that diversity, like you're seeing with some of his senior staff appointments, which has already born fruit (see Gears 5).

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
They are doing better with Joanna, Senua, Kate and others. More is always better!

Oct 25, 2017

In the actual interview it's clear the new studio was formed with the intention to make a new perfect dark. The IP wasn't picked by the people they hired, but they knew the IP they were making so they should be ok with it. So they're doing something about diversity.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
A lack a Japanese support really hurts them here since that's where most women protagonists come from. Still maybe try a little harder?

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Phil Spencer: Hmmmm we could really use some games starring women! Hey, who owns Tomb Raider?

Underling: Square owns them sir.

Phil Spencer: Great! Buy them! That'll give us two franchises starring women.

Novocaine

Oct 26, 2017
I'd kill for another ReCore.

Gears has also moved to a female protagonist. They're diversifying, even if it's not instant it's happening.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
Funny how hands off ALWAYS defaults to white straight male. That isn't a management thing, that is a cultural thing.
Exactly, my point is that he could only nudge studios into having more diverse make characters and keep the hands off approach going. If we want this to change it needs to be at the dev level and each dev under xbox has a different culture and is at different levels regarding this. Maybe the solution is making sure these studios hire and promote diverse groups of people (which is something I think he can and should do).

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the work is ongoing, right? It takes time to slough off the past shackles of dude-bro 360 land. I think they're getting there with Kait in Gears, the full character spectrum of Sea of Thieves, Senua (through an acquisition), characters in Bethesda/Arkane games, maybe Everwild, Starfield and other future RPGs. If anything, they have a lot of franchises with agency in terms of character creators, so that's something of a middle ground. I think they're actually in a much better place in terms of gender than they have been. But as always, that area -- and other areas of representation -- remain an ongoing project.

Edit: And add the protagonist, possibly, for State of Decay 3. Or The Gunk. Or any other number of projects that MS is putting out there. In fact, I'd say they are putting in more work than the other two big hardware groups on this front.
^
I think Phil played himself lol. Shot himself in the foot even though they're already doing a decent job at giving player's agency over their characters in many of their games, and as others have pointed out, female leads specifically are not as scarce as you'd assume.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
They already took the paragon of "dudebro" games with Gears and flipped it have a female lead. Not sure what other first party games people are thinking of when they say Xbox needs to do more.

- Female Master Chief? Ok, maybe. They tried to shake things up in Halo 5 and the top down spinoffs with Locke and Palmer but that didn't really go over well.

- Fable, Minecraft, Forza, Sea of Thieves? You make your own character.

- Seriously what else is there?

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Doing a great job Phil, a huge improvement. keep it up.

Gears 5
Tell me Why
Recore
Gunk
Hellblade
Redfall (Layla looks to be one of the more interesting xters I've seen in a videogame in a while)
State of Decay 3
As Dusk Falls
Perfect Dark

Last edited:

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
They already took the paragon of "dudebro" games with Gears and flipped it have a female lead. Not sure what other first party games people are thinking of when they say Xbox needs to do more.

- Female Master Chief? Ok, maybe. They tried to shake things up in Halo 5 and the top down spinoffs with Locke and Palmer but that didn't really go over well.

- Fable, Minecraft, Forza, Sea of Thieves? You make your own character.

- Seriously what else is there?
People really didn't use their noggins before they replied

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I know you don't mean it but you rolling back to anything but a white dude has to be justified.

When the other games are finishing Master Chief's story, playing as a car and creating your own character for an RPG I don't see it as a case of defaulting to a white dude.

Pivoting protagonists in Gears 5 is worth a lot of points in my book. I think they're making an effort where they can.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Looking over their active first party catalogue, most of their games are 'create your own character'. Sea of Thieves, Grounded, Elder Scrolls, The Outer Worlds, Fallout, Forza Horizon, Minecraft, State of Decay etc.

You have Joanna Dark, Kait, Senua, Julianna (Deathloop) and Alyson (Tell Me Why) in terms of female protagonists.

Master Chief, Doom Guy, BJ Blaskowicz, Colt (Deathloop), Raz (Psychonauts) and Tyler (Tell Me Why) for men.

They don't have many individual female protagonists but I'd blame that more on how a vast amount of their library is 'create a character' and not named protagonists rather than because 'tons of dudes'.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I'd kill for another ReCore.
I really need to revisit ReCore. I tried a while back but felt that I couldn't get the graphics looking right on Xbox. I try to adjust the HDR settings, and Joule looks like she's sunburnt, and the sand has the detail blown out of it. The HDR implementation in ReCore is so bad. I mostly enjoy the game play, fast travel issues aside.