Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Variable Framerate/Refresh
Variable Resolution
Variable Shading

The future is bright, the future is variable

I'm OK with that. I just wonder what the minimum resolution is going to be. Can we realistically expect a full native 4K of the XSX or could it be that they go lower than 4K to maintain a constant 60fps or even higher?

I've never seen a game with a framerate over 60fps, but I would say a locked 60fps is absolutely fine for most games.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
It's a fair enough point and one I agree with. I don't see a huge difference when I see something in 900p vs 1080p so if a barely noticeable drop in resolution means a much better frame-rate then I'm all for that.

Honestly won't be surprised to see a lot of titles running some sort of checkerboard upscaling so they can hit 60fps+. However, as always there are going to be a lot of titles that focus on quality of graphics over frame-rate so I won't be surprised to see a lot of true 4k games at 30fps.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll wait till MS says they mandate all games have a 60FPS option before I wet my pants over more PR talk

darthkarki

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
Microsoft research already work on Next Gen AI.

No loading is the goal for Series X

Microsoft acquire Havok, don't worry about physics.

I'm not sure you understood the point I am trying to make. All of those systems run on the CPU. The point is if the CPU is being fully utilized at 30fps, lowering resolution isn't going to raise the framerate. You'd go from (gross simplification):

Resolution: 4k
CPU Util: 100%
GPU Util: 100%
Framerate: 30fps

Resolution: 1080p
CPU Util: 100%
GPU Util: 50%
Framerate: 30fps

The CPU is the limiting factor there.

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
Hopefully their first party targets 60FPS across the board. Gears switching to 60FPS was the best decision ever.

dtamago

Feb 1, 2019
I really hate how resolutions became a main talking point this generation, last gen nobody gave two shakes of a rat's ass about resolution, at least on consoles.

If the game looks good and runs good, that's good enough for me, and this is coming from someone that recently moved to PC.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phil is making the right choice then.
30 fps just looks straight jank.
So you didn't play Horizon Zero Dawn or God of War.

Sure, in shooters, fighting games, fast action games 60fps is required for good gameplay, but sometimes if the game is made well 30fps isn't bad or janky.

While I'd hope that all games are 60fps next gen, I don't expect it. I would hope that any 30fps games are made with the same care and quality as HZD and GoW where it's not negatively hurting the game.

Deleted member 29691

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Don't own a ps4 pro or xbox one x, but I know some ps4 options let you choose between performance and graphics. Does performance ever push from 30 frames to 60 or is that change not that drastic?

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I really hate how resolutions became a main talking point this generation, last gen nobody gave two shakes of a rat's ass about resolution, at least on consoles.

If the game looks good and runs good, that's good enough for me, and this is coming from someone that recently moved to PC.
Resolution changes have been a big sticking point in game gens. From scaling to 320x240 to 640x480 to 1280x720 to 1920x1080 and beyond.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Resolution aside, I do hope that some games (like a RPG with big open world) will still have the graphical bells and whistles that you want to see in such games. Personally I've always been fine with 30fps in some games.

I do want to be amazed by beautiful visuals in PG's first RPG.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Music to my fucking ears. The time for 60fps to be expected is going to arrive with these new consoles.

didnt he just tweet out a picture implying xbox series x was 8K ready lmao
They never claimed that lots of games were going to be 8K. It's just 8K capable, and that will likely be only achieved by non demanding games.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
I swear Phil only reads reddit threads, says the titles out loud in interviews and people go nuts, every time

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
He is not wrong.
But once their teams start to push next gen exclusives this narrative will fall down.
It´s funny to hear that with Series X and One X marketing tho.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
He is not wrong.
But once their teams start to push next gen exclusives this narrative will fall down.

Or not.

Maybe the system is powerful enough that they can more or less promise all this, and also the next gen worthy visuals.

I wonder, if they have a RPG for example at a variable resolution, something between 1440p and 2160p, things like visual fidelity shouldn't necessarily have to be sacrificed, have they? Or is there just no way to tell at this moment?

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Resolution aside, I do hope that some games (like a RPG with big open world) will still have the graphical bells and whistles that you want to see in such games. Personally I've always been fine with 30fps in some games.

I do want to be amazed by beautiful visuals in PG's first RPG.

You will be with Halo Infinite.

#Calmbeforethestorm

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
so long as the image is clean on my tv i dont care if its 1440p with good AA or reconstructed 1800p or native 4k. 60fps on the other hand is a must

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
I dont think Phil went in and forced the 60fps...

Oh...it has to be forced in order for the obvious trend that's happening can be considered real? Wow.

Because if he were to say that ALL games be 60FPS on the console then I'll pre order the Series X right now

Your posts get worse each time. First it was the performance...then it was quality and now it's forcing every dev to do 60. 3rd party or otherwise.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I kinda think we're going to see a lot of crossgen games that are 30fps on Xbox One, and 60fps+ on Xbox Series X.

I don't think it's a bad thing, I also prefer framerate.

I expect eventually when games are dropping last gen support, we might see 30fps games next gen too.

Yup. He's saying this because all games for the first year will be built for a base XB1. Once the base is the Series X watch a lot of games go back to a 30fps target.

It's a good tactic as I expect Sony's PS5 exclusives will be 30fps but look a generation ahead of some Xbox exclusives.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. He's saying this because all games for the first year will be built for a base XB1. Once the base is the Series X watch a lot of games go back to a 30fps target.

It's a good tactic as I expect Sony's PS5 exclusives will be 30fps but look a generation ahead of some Xbox exclusives.

He is not wrong.
Ah yes, Halo/Gears/Forza etc are going to go back to 30fps (-‸ლ)
giphy.gif

These fanboy/girl narratives are so ridiculous.

Last edited:

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Now if only the casual masses could understand...
The input latency definitely makes games. It's why certain games just don't feel right (sluggish) Frames help as long as you don't tax the GPU to the max

Oct 25, 2017
So you didn't play Horizon Zero Dawn or God of War.

Sure, in shooters, fighting games, fast action games 60fps is required for good gameplay, but sometimes if the game is made well 30fps isn't bad or janky.

While I'd hope that all games are 60fps next gen, I don't expect it. I would hope that any 30fps games are made with the same care and quality as HZD and GoW where it's not negatively hurting the game.
I had no issues with HZD, but I gotta say once I switched to performance mode in GOW I never went back. It's just much more pleasing, even though it rarely reaches 60fps for long.

I very much hope most next gen games offer a 60fps mode.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Ah yes, Halo/Gear/Forza etc are going to go back to 30fps (-‸ლ)

giphy.gif

No they won´t.
Their competitive titles will remain 60FPS, like basically any other competitive title in the market.
Will their other titles follow the route ? I don´t think so but who knows maybe I´m wrong.
Let´s not forget that Hellblade announcement was running in under 30 FPS ( and yes I know it´s just an announcement ).

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
This feels desperately ironic given Microsoft's marketing around the Xbox One X but it's definitely the correct stance. Having said that there is a hell of a lot more to visuals than resolution or framerate so it's always a bit depressing to hear how much time is spent discussing them when compared to IQ, effects, art, and so on.