Dantero

Jan 23, 2018
With the start of this generation I think it's time to look back at the state Xbox was just a short time ago. Lacking first party ( for most ).A console with the wrong selling points and not much confidence in the product they were selling.

But things have changed and Xbox is in a really compelling state at the moment. And it's good for gamers I think in the end. Phill made a lot of promises and a lot of people where questioning if it would a come together. I think it did. He also made a few big decisions that could be considered risky. Buying ZeniMax has been possible because he managed to get a seat with the big boys at MS. So let's look at the things he delivered.

Most powerfull console in the smaller form factor than direct competitor. ( power )

Most affordable console ( price )

Services ( Gamepass is growing really fast and is starting to become hard to ignore)

BC : playing games from 4 generations with enhancement most of the time. Saves across multiple consoles and gens.

Value : Getting a cheap console out with gamepass is value. Specially with prices rising.

1st party : Brought in a lot of studios and buying ZeniMax is a industry shaking move.

I say it's a job wel done and im really looking forward of what's coming the future. Xbox is looking at a new impuls this generation and I hope they keep it up. Do you agree?

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
He is a talented executive for sure. Quite the turnaround from Mattrick.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm more impressed at his ability to keep Nadella from parting off with the Xbox division. The Bethesda acquisition was enough to make me know he still has Nadella's ear for certain things.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
phil3vjay.gif

he really did. i think people really underestimated the moves he was making a few years ago, but it's becoming apparent he had some long term plans to turn things around for xbox.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
That war chest hit at the right time for Phil, Satya having faith helps

bry

Oct 27, 2017
I was actually thinking what he probably feels like lol.

Like going through this whole process from 2013 to now.
It must be a good feeling for him

Oct 29, 2017
I'm really happy with where things are at and will be at over the next several years.

That said, it's taken way too long to get Microsoft's first party game output off the ground. Gears and Forza are in great shape. Halo needs a course correction. Misfires like Crackdown 3 and ReCore. Cancellations like Phantom Dust. Why did it take 10 years to get a studio on Fable?

Again, things are looking up for the next few years, but it's taken too long to get here.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
he promised to redesign the windows/xbox store which hasn't happened yet
other than that, yeah he definitely delivered, xbox now has the the first party studios with the most potential in my opinion

Deleted member 10847

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thank God for the 180 that Phil introduced, if Matrick vision had continued the gaming division would not be here anymore.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really can't imagine anyone else doing a better job than him. He's positioned the Xbox brand incredibly well for next gen.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I'm more impressed at his ability to keep Nadella from parting off with the Xbox division. The Bethesda acquisition was enough to make me know he still has Nadella's ear for certain things.
Why do think Nadella would abandon Xbox?

Nadella loves ARR. Gold and now GamePass are that.

And post COVID19, gaming being generally COVID19 proof, he has more ammo.

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
He's definitely leading the industry to an all digital subscription based model.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
I also feel like Microsoft is finally delivering on the PC front as well, Gamepass on PC is a good value, they're putting their games on Steam and are making PC centric releases like Flight Sim and Age of Empires.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Still seems like a dry year in the way of 1st party exclusives for XSX/S though, so sadly I can't say Phil Spencer has delivered on that front yet. Hopefully by 2022 their output will improve.

Mar 8, 2018
I'm going Xbox this gen, but I find the general circle jerking around executives to be deeply weird and uncomfortable.

Jan 13, 2020
Dude deserves all the plaudits, for sure. It's been an incredible turnaround in philosophy. Almost on par with the shift from Wii U Nintendo > Switch Nintendo. I don't think the results will be quite as drastic, but compare the Xbox's value proposition in 2013 to now and it's night and day.

Servbot24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We'll see. It's been what, 6 years? And the 1st party library is still extremely weak under his watch. He is great at business and subscriptions but horrible at the software side. IMO he should put quality control under someone else's responsibility. Phil isn't Shu in that regard.

I do think XBox has so many studios at this point that eventually the hits are bound to finally come. But I'm not congratulating anyone until that actually happens.

DrMoguera

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know, Xbox One had a bunch of launch games I wanted to play. I don't think Phil managed to deliver with Series X on that front, or even in the near future. I hope it works out in like 4 or 5 years though. I remember thinking that same thing when Microsoft first started promising all of these big changes though.

VirtualCloud

Aug 3, 2018
Things are definitely looking up right now for xbox, but the fact that the series X isnt launching with a big first party game just irks me. The hard work appears to be done now though, cant wait to see the xbox line up for 2022 and beyond

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wonder where the gaming landscape will be if both Nadella and Spencer where in charge of the Xbox One launch?

At this point Don Mattrick seems to have surpassed Bernie Stolar as the worst executive in a console maker

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
I really don't like turning these executives into cults of personality. I will say, however, that his impact on the Xbox brand has completely undone the catastrophic damage that Don Mattrick did. What a colossal fuck-up of a launch that was in 2013.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
He definitely won my business back. I might even main the Xbox this gen if the power difference is noticeable.

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He's done very well, but the consoles haven't launched yet. We'll see where Xbox lands in 2 or 3 years when the heavy hitters start coming on both sides.

I wish he'd talk less to be honest too. He seems like a cool guy, but he definitely over-shares sometimes leading to a few foot in mouth moments that could easily be avoided.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
T'was also willing to let the fan-favorite ex-Nintendo characters they bought out years ago reappear on a Nintendo system through their big crossover game, despite, you know, being a competitor. He'll always have my respect for that.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I've had Gamepass on pc for several months and think it's terrific and only looks to be getting better. I think Mixer was handled very poorly. The new Xboxes and the various acquisitions look great though.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think so. Maybe if he grew 1st party IPs and not outright just bought them.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
For me, he's delivered on every front except actual exclusive games, especially day 1.
The Xbox one exclusive games track record isn't exactly stellar, I hope it can be different for series x as Sony needs some competition

does t matter to me though as I get all the games on pc