mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
https://www.inquirer.com/phillies/phillies-phillie-phantic-lawsuit-settlement-20211115.html

phantic-900x900.jpg

The old Phillie Phanatic will soon be the new Phillie Phanatic as the Phillies will be permitted to again use the original version of their famous mascot after finalizing the settlement of a lawsuit on Monday.

The Phillies unveiled an altered Phanatic in February 2020 after they sued the creators — Bonnie Erickson and Wayde Harrison — in 2019 when they threatened to obtain an injunction against the team's use of the mascot and send the snout-nosed, shaggy, flightless green bird into free agency.

The settlement, which included the Phillies paying an undisclosed amount of money to the creators, allows the Phillies to now use either the new or old Phanatic. The team did not comment but all signs point to them bringing the old costume back to South Philly.

The settlement was reached last month, but both parties had more than 30 days to finalize the terms.

I wonder if the Old Phantic will Highlander the New One.

Just in time for the new season...if it happens.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
Is one of them actually called "Phantic" or did OP manage to misspell it three times

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry Phanatic, this is Gritty's world now.

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
Sorry, Phanatic...but the world of sports mascots in PA is owned by its hockey ones. You've got Gritty on one side & the Jean-Claude Van Damme fighting Iceburgh on the other side. You just don't measure up.

Nov 2, 2017
That picture that greets you when you click on the link is something. I thought it would be the same picture that is shown in the OP, but that threw me off for a few seconds.

After looking around I found that pic of all the Philly pro mascots. Gritty is always looking like he is 30 seconds away from burning a building down.

mascot-slide.jpg

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Is one of them actually called "Phantic" or did OP manage to misspell it three times

I don't know if it's actually the OP's fault. The article's URL has "phantic" in it and the subheading of the article is "The Phillie Phantic is staying in Philadelphia after its creators threatened to send him into free agency." So... the title of the article may have spelled it wrong and was then changed after it was already used for the thread title, without them also correcting the other place it was spelled wrong?

or perhaps I'm wrong and OP here will have to face Gritty and atone for their sins

Nov 17, 2017
That picture that greets you when you click on the link is something. I thought it would be the same picture that is shown in the OP, but that threw me off for a few seconds.

After looking around I found that pic of all the Philly pro mascots. Gritty is always looking like he is 30 seconds away from burning a building down.

mascot-slide.jpg
I was always partial to the old 76ers mascot Hip Hop. He also seemed like the type to commit arson.

hip-hop.jpg

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that they made him buff and not cuddly is what makes him so unsettling but I like Philly mascots being creepy haha
image-placeholder-title.jpg

I don't like the new blue dog cause it just looks like a very generic fursuit you'd see at a furry convention instead of a mascot.

well to be fair to the new mascot that's still on brand. i guess we could make him more buff

OP
OP
mreddie

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know if it's actually the OP's fault. The article's URL has "phantic" in it and the subheading of the article is "The Phillie Phantic is staying in Philadelphia after its creators threatened to send him into free agency." So... the title of the article may have spelled it wrong and was then changed after it was already used for the thread title, without them also correcting the other place it was spelled wrong?

or perhaps I'm wrong and OP here will have to face Gritty and atone for their sins