Oct 25, 2017
There was a lot of discussion and debate over this and people came down on different sides.

Did we really have all that debate and noise and the end result was Microsoft ditching cross-gen in the show outside of a couple of titles?

So the difference in actuality ended up being a blip?

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Halo alone shows they kept their promise I'd say.

That's the one most want.

JCADX

Oct 29, 2017
They promised that every first party in the next couple years would be cross-gen. But those first party announced with CGI or in-engine trailers probably won´t launch until 2022, so...

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
I mean he did say the first 2 years were cross gen, and none of these games looks like it's coming before that. The BS he pulled tho was the whole I hate timed exclusive content, and then he fills half the show with it. Like wtf phil.

nujabeans

Dec 2, 2017
The Verge had an article about MS' promises:

www.theverge.com

It looks like Microsoft is already breaking a big promise with Xbox Series X

Your existing Xbox won’t play the new Forza or Fable

In fact, the company explicitly promised that its own in-house, first-party games won't require you to buy the new Series X console for two years. Here's Xbox boss Phil Spencer just last week:

You won't be forced into the next generation. We want every Xbox player to play all the new games from Xbox Game Studios. That's why Xbox Game Studios titles we release in the next couple of years—like Halo Infinite—will be available and play great on Xbox Series X and Xbox One. We won't force you to upgrade to Xbox Series X at launch to play Xbox exclusives."
And here's what Xbox Game Studios head Matt Booty told MCV in January (bolding ours):

"As our content comes out over the next year, two years, all of our games, sort of like PC, will play up and down that family of devices," Booty explains. "We want to make sure that if someone invests in Xbox between now and [Series X] that they feel that they made a good investment and that we're committed to them with content."
Heck, here's a third version of the promise from March, again with additional bolding:

We're making the commitment to use Smart Delivery on all our exclusive Xbox Game Studios titles, including Halo Infinite, ensuring you only have to purchase a title once in order to play the best available version for whichever Xbox console they choose to play on.
But during today's Xbox Games Showcase, first-party titles Forza Motorsport, Fable, Avowed, As Dusk Falls,Everwild and State of Decay 3 were all listed as coming to Xbox Series X and Windows PC specifically — with no Xbox One support and no Smart Delivery feature. Again, these are all games published by Microsoft's Xbox Game Studios, and almost all created by developers that Microsoft owns.

gamer forever

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
I mean he did say the first 2 years were cross gen, and none of these games looks like it's coming before that. The BS he pulled tho was the whole I hate timed exclusive content, and then he fills half the show with it. Like wtf phil.

I agree, at least Sony are upfront about wanting a new generation and exclusives. Let's see what happens, but I have a feeling that Sony have a few things to show, particularly relating to the actual hardware and this will seal the deal. The PS5 is a genuinely new experience due to the SSD and haptics. There will be something for everyone on launch day and will look forward to trying out the dualsense.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
We all just misinterpreted Phil Spencer.

He never said all games will come to xbox one, he just said there will be no console generations, because games can be played on different hardware and that is a thing on PC since years.
Kinda off topic, but he also never said paying for exclusive content is a bad practice, he said having to buy hardware to play games is bad, i'm sure he is proud of console launch exclusives.

It is just all a big misunderstanding.

ArchLector

Apr 10, 2020
Their studios are just starting up and need time to deliver games. His "plan" was a PR move, a good one, to cover that. Nothing else. People here should really stop reading into PR statements.

gamer forever

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
Another thing is that Microsoft have a history of cutting their console short and moving on. They did it with the xbox, then 360, promised they wouldn't do it with the one and look what they have gone and done by discontinuing the one. Discontinuing the X is pretty shocking and shows what they're all about. Sony focus on generations, but at the same time want to ensure that PS4 owners get the very best, right until the end and beyond with AAA titles like the last of us 2 and ghost of tsushima. Theres also FF7 remake and nioh 2, which weren't too bad!

larryfox

Apr 27, 2020
Two years only and every game shown for 2020 and 2021 are cross gen, where did they lie about?

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Phil says a lot of things, and then does other things.

- I don't really care for time exclusives/second half of event filled with timed exclusives
- Fanboy stuff needs to stop/marketing/twitter is filled with fanboy figures
- Every single year "BEST LINEUP FOR XBOX EVER/medicore conferences

But Phil is such a good guy, he's the people's choice! Dunno when people will realize PR is PR. Phil may be an amazing guy IRL, what you see on twitter/interviews is him working though.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most of the first party games announced are super far off. Like 3-4 years off, I'd wager. So in that sense, it's unsurprising many games won't be cross-gen. It's crazy how unprepared Xbox is.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017

- I don't really care for time exclusives/second half of event filled with timed exclusives

But Phil is such a good guy, he's the people's choice! Dunno when people will realize PR is PR. Phil may be an amazing guy IRL, what you see on twitter/interviews is him working though.

Phil would give you the very shirt off his back

wait, this isn't a shirt, it's a flannel

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Basically everything Phill has been saying in the last few years felt apart in one hour :
- Cross gen because we are pro consumer
- No 3P timed exclusives
- Cross gen won't hold next gen back
- No announcements when game is far from release
- GP won't lead to GaaS content

Good guy Phill says a lot of things people want to hear.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
The pro-consumer plan always had an expiry date of first couple of years, it wasn't meant to be pro-consumer forever.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
It'd depend on when most of those games are supposed to launch. This feels like something that probably needs hard clarification before I'll assume they broke a promise they re-iterated as recently as less than a week ago, AFTER that stream presentation was likely complete.

But yes, I'm sure we are T-minus seconds away from this turning into one of those snarky "but Phil's a good guy!" threads, so have at it.

armadillopoke

Banned
May 14, 2020
It honestly comes across as though they've changed their minds between saying everything's gonna be cross-gen a month ago and yesterday when everything except Halo was XSX-only.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Phil would give you the very shirt off his back

wait, this isn't a shirt, it's a flannel
hahhaaah...I'm sure he would...I would love to have a beer with him and ask him why he always looks smug even when he's laughing.

Phil must be baller IRL man, covid-19 phil be in the middle of the ocean on a yacht!

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
They promised that every first party in the next couple years would be cross-gen. But those first party announced with CGI or in-engine trailers probably won´t launch until 2022, so...
Two years only and every game shown for 2020 and 2021 are cross gen, where did they lie about?
In this case, Microsoft's statement would be true indeed. This makes me wonder which first party games they will have for the next two years though. Obviously Halo Infinite, do we know about any other titles?

Jackpot2027

Aug 1, 2018
EdoFCf5WoAQngv8

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
They have been promising things for years. And here we are. Still waiting. Or seeing the opposite (obviously our fault for misunderstanding) It is easier to talk than make games. Sony took an entire generation to learn and even more to reach their current status.
Their message is we will have everything, most powerful but still crossgen, day one but still CGI.
I hope they saved a few things though, or things gonna be rough.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
PR talk for the most part - like they not going for time exclusivity on 3rdParty content.
They just didnt want people to stop buying Xbox One consoles - which is fair.

But people have to realize that its mostly PR talk to get people interested in the product - even if the reality might paint a different picture.

Optmst

Apr 9, 2020

It's like he's "180 Phil", lol
There is possiblity they'll just toss these games to current gen because it's doable. And they bank on "designed around XSX"
Their messaging is a mess

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Most of the games they showed that aren't crossgen will be far off so they're technically right. Halo will be crossgen and that's the only immediate game we know about.

Honestly the whole talk about Phil Spencer in this thread is just thinly veiled toxic garbage. There's no real reasons for attacks on their character because things don't turn out exactly as they expect because people misquote or misattribute things to them or Microsoft.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This was always going to be the case. Cross-gen will completely peeter out by the end of next year outside of some smaller indie games that will basically say "why not release on Xbox One?" Similar time how the vita held on.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
In this case, Microsoft's statement would be true indeed. This makes me wonder which first party games they will have for the next two years though. Obviously Halo Infinite, do we know about any other titles?

I think there will be not many other first party games, but they will be available on xbox one.

Ivanovic

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
All that crap he said about "not forcing consumers to upgrade" was obviously bull. Seems to me like he changes his mind based on twitter and forum reactions.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
All they need to do is provide a list of titles and this will then be a lot clearer.

I don't know why Phil gets praise here if I'm honest, because his comments are hardly ever followed through.

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018
There was a lot of discussion and debate over this and people came down on different sides.

Did we really have all that debate and noise and the end result was Microsoft ditching cross-gen in the show outside of a couple of titles?

So the difference in actuality ended up being a blip?

Can you assure us that the titles that are not crossgen are going to be released in a couple of years? Because that was the intention, crossgen titles for the Xbox Studio Games released in the next 1-2 years. Game released outside that window is going to be only on next gen.

I see no lies.

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
We all just misinterpreted Phil Spencer.

He never said all games will come to xbox one, he just said there will be no console generations, because games can be played on different hardware and that is a thing on PC since years.
Kinda off topic, but he also never said paying for exclusive content is a bad practice, he said having to buy hardware to play games is bad, i'm sure he is proud of console launch exclusives.

It is just all a big misunderstanding.
What about Japanese games tho. :)

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can you assure us that the titles that are not crossgen would release in a couple of years? Because that was the intention, crossgen titles for the Xbox Studio Games released in the next 1-2 years.

I see no lies.

Console warriors gotta fight for something I guess. Seems like cross-gen is both holding next gen back and not happening at the same time!

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Another thing is that Microsoft have a history of cutting their console short and moving on. They did it with the xbox, then 360, promised they wouldn't do it with the one and look what they have gone and done by discontinuing the one. Discontinuing the X is pretty shocking and shows what they're all about. Sony focus on generations, but at the same time want to ensure that PS4 owners get the very best, right until the end and beyond with AAA titles like the last of us 2 and ghost of tsushima. Theres also FF7 remake and nioh 2, which weren't too bad!

The 360 launched in 2005 and had first party releases through 2014 (Forza Horizon 2, Titanfall). The Xbox one launched in 2013 and will have first party releases through 2021.

Discontinuing the One X is only shocking if you pretend the Series S doesn't exist and doesn't play all of the same games.

Macross

Nov 5, 2017
USA
All 1st party for 2 years will be cross-gen... here is the one game we are putting out for the next two years and it is cross-gen, no lie detected.

Intentionally misleading PR BS detected.

Ombala

Oct 30, 2017
Basically everything Phill has been saying in the last few years felt apart in one hour :
- Cross gen because we are pro consumer
- No 3P timed exclusives
- Cross gen won't hold next gen back
- No announcements when game is far from release
- GP won't lead to GaaS content

Good guy Phill says a lot of things people want to hear.
I understand the "used car salesman" feeling people put on him now.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Bruh, what? The PS4 is being cut off hard by Sony. You won't get a new first party game from them.....ever? Sure it's last year was full of some great games, but let's not pretend it isn't it's last year.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Can you assure us that the titles that are not crossgen are going to be released in a couple of years? Because that was the intention, crossgen titles for the Xbox Studio Games released in the next 1-2 years. Game released outside that window is going to be only on next gen.

I see no lies.

It seems really damn weird to harp on cross gen and consumer choice when behind the scenes Phil knows he doesn't actually have to follow through because most of his games convenietly fall outside the PR period.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
What he meant to say is that you can enjoy the somewhat belated tail-end of Xbox One games on your next gen consoles for a year or two. And they'll have next-gen games after that when they're ready.

He needs a PR handler to reconnect him with short term reality before he goes into interviews, so he can calibrate expectations better, and so it doesn't later on sound like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. The gloss-over he was doing in his most recent round of interviews looks particularly disconnected now.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're wondering why games without a date that will probably come out in 2022-2023 aren't on Xbox One? And calling Microsoft anti-consumer for it? Wow.