• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
0MDS2WS.jpg

Genre: Craction (Courtroom Battle Action)
Platforms: PS4, Switch, XB1, Steam
Download Size: 2GB
Developer: Capcom
Release Date: Now, 2019
Price: $30

ABOUT

The Ace Attorney Trilogy brings the original three games to the big screen. Or the palm of your hand...again. But in HD! Featuring redone artwork to give a fresh coat of paint to some old classics.

jR48G3B.png

In the simplest terms possible, the Ace Attorney series is a point-and-click adventure with an emphasis on critical thinking. You play as rookie attorney Phoenix Wright, and have to get to the bottom of cases that just get crazier and crazier.

Gameplay is split into two parts: Investigations and Courtrooms. Investigations are where you examine the environment, talk to witnesses, etc. to gather evidence and prepare for your battle with the prosecution.

Courtrooms are where all the truth comes to light. Cross examine a colorful cast, look for contradictions in their testimonies, and piece together the truth behind each case.

Need I say more? No!

5bWsN9r.jpg

Reviews

"This shit lit, fam" - Me
"Game of the year, all years" - You, soon

Q&A

"Should I play these in order?" - Yes. The series has an ongoing story, and you'd be doing yourself a disservice to jump around. Ace Attorney -> Justice For All -> Trials and Tribulations is the natural course of things, and the game presents it as such.

"Ladder, or stepladder?" - Stepladder

"Where does this take place?" - Just eat your burgers and don't think too hard about it.

*PLEASE MARK SPOILERS*

There are likely going to be a good amount of first time players here, so please use caution regarding that. The games are all split into cases which makes it pretty easy to section off what you're talking about.

Nobody else seemed to be making this so I did. Court is now in session. Add Phoenix Wright to Smash.

dDT7WwE.gif

Oct 26, 2017
I lost my 3DS and never got to finish 1. I think I'll rebuy on Switch. I was really enjoying it, but I hope outside-the-court stuff gets better in each entry. I was getting frustrated and just wanting to get back to the courtroom.

Fumpster

Nov 4, 2017
I replayed these games with my girlfriend, who hadn't played them before. She had a really great time, I can't recommend these games enough.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Boy I hope you're all ready for some insane shit

I remember buying a DS in I think Christmas 05 and I just BLITZED through the first AA

Deleted member 15476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Based on what I've seen the first 3 cases, not much is going on with this re-release unfortunately. At least we have for the first time official versions outside of Nintendo/Mobile platforms ( and pc technically speaking )

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't need to buy this. But now I'm reminiscing. And thinking of the music.

Goddamn it.

Darío

Oct 27, 2017
The greatest thing about playing these on a big TV is that anyone would come running into the room as soon as they heard Godot's theme just to see what he was gonna say.

claussm

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thule
I never played these growing up. How "on-rails" is the gameplay? Can you just brute force your way through investigations and courtroom stuff, or are their lots of varying paths/options/endings?

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Not looking forward to 1-5. I forgot how crazy long that case gets and it doesn't get good until the final Day.
Then again, I think the last AA game beat it because the final case took me a good 12 hours o_O

iag

Oct 27, 2017
Does AA1 come with the "extra" case? Will buy it (again), but not right now.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I never played these growing up. How "on-rails" is the gameplay? Can you just brute force your way through investigations and courtroom stuff, or are their lots of varying paths/options/endings?
There aren't any varying paths. You could save scum to get around running out of "lives" (or hp), but that's not the point. The point is you won't find another game series like it. Even the ones that come after AA like Danganronpa and such don't capture the same atmosphere or quality of the murder mysteries here.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
These games are linear with only one path and story. That path and story happen to be very good though.

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018
The last case for Justice for All has two endings depending on what you do near the end, but the games are incredibly linear barring that. The most varied they get otherwise is you can sometimes investigate things in a varying order, but for those occasions you still need to investigate everything the game wants you to before you can move on.

Punpun

Alt account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
Will pick this up in the next few days, can't wait. Never played those games before but I'm hyped.

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
I know they come from the gba and that's not going to look super great just blown up on a screen but I dunno it kinda looks weird to me.

Oh okay I get what you mean now, and yeah that shot doesn't hold up too well. But clearly that still involved manual redrawing so it's not a filter. Just got a bit confused is all. I thought you were talking about something like the colours.

I agree, it'd be nice if we could mod the sprites into the PC version for those who want the original look back.

Lafazar

Oct 25, 2017
Bern, Switzerland
I played the PC version for a couple of hours now. I love the original spritework on GBA/DS to death, so I was quite surprised how well the HD art works for me once I got over the fact that, well, no, this is not pixel art any more. IMHO it's simple and basic but also consistent and pleasant and just as expressive as the original. Especially all the little animations (winking eyes, twitching mouths, etc.) work really well.

Combined with the snappy UI that not only highlights hotspots when you hover over them, but also visibly ticks them off once you have already examined them, makes this the definitive version for me. Would not have expected this when I first started playing, TBH.

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
I'm playing the PC version right now with a 144hz monitor, and man it feels like like all the animations are way too fast. I wonder if there is a way to put a frame rate limiter on it, cause I don't need this game at 144 fps.

monstar

Oct 25, 2017
I wish they had an option to use the original graphics, the redrawn HD sprites never quite look right to me. (But maybe they've been improved since the iOS/3DS versions, I don't know) Still always happy to see the series getting another release.

ULTROS!

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have an issue regarding the new graphics in AA:T&T Case 2:

one of DeLite's flashbacks show that the killer hit him but didn't see him. In the NDS version, the shadow of the killer is pixelated as it should be, in this version you can clearly see the outline of the villain's art but only for a flash. It's super obvious who the killer in this version.

Ashby

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was super into AA1 but fell off at 2. Not cause I didn't like it, just happened. If I blow through the Trilogy like I'm expecting I will is it worth it to continue on with the series?

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I really need to finish playing the 3DS games. Not sure I want to pay to replay the original trilogy even though I like the new (for me) sprite work.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Probably my favorite series in all of gaming and I'm so excited more people get to experience these wonderful games.

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
OK, I"m in.
I've never played any of the AA games before, even though I had both a DS and 3DS.

I wish there was a way to use the original graphics though. Most other remasters let you do it, and I'd be mostly playing undocked anyway.
The new graphics lack that pixel art charm, and add odd black lines around everything which kinda clashes. I'll deal though.

Vargas

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the trilogy the other day, felt no shame on holding circle through all of turnabout bigtop.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Ive always been interested in these games. Will deffo buy soon. Might trade in sekiro cause im not enjoying it that much

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
Absolutely loving this game so far
I wanted to play it back in grade school but games were too pricey

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely looking forward to going back through these after such a long time. Most of my experience was with the Wiiware versions, which were... awkward.

But... seriously, Capcom, how'd it take you six years to bring the HD iOS versions of the AA trilogy to any other platform? I can surmise the actual business reasons behind doing it now, but it's still absurd.