• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
I sort of regretfully bought a Series S to play Halo on as it was clear it was going to run like dogs hit on even One X, and I got to say I am pleasantly not bothered by the lack of 4k. Even playing 360 games like Gears 3, HDR, the FPS boost and the 1440p res look great, to the point the visual quality I would say is higher than it did on my one X. Same thing for Halo 5, which looks so much better on the Series S than the One X.

Of course some games like the Matrix tech demo can drop pretty hard in resolution, but the advantages of this hardware are really great. I still wish I had a Series X, but seeing as you still can't get them I am pretty impressed by this thing.

What other games are worth checking out or re-checking out? I was thinking of testing out Metro and Gears 5.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
If you like racing games, you should check out Horizon 5. Best looking game on the S imo.

Basquiat

alt account
Banned
Apr 2, 2020
The series s really is the little box that could. I've got a 3080ti rig and yet I still opt for playing games like Forza Horizon 5 on the XSS due to the pick up and play factor. The quick resume feature is a game changer.

I'd say the XSS + the 3 years of game pass ultimate for 120 pounds is probably the best value for money i've ever experienced in gaming.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Well it's a cross gen games.
It already shows the limits of the system on Flight Simulator, The Medium or Matrix.

I think it's great for now but not really future proof.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
I play my series S way more than my ps5. At the end of the day high end graphics is just a single factor in the entire package.

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
There's a big, big difference between 1080p and 4K, doesn't mean you can't be perfectly happy with the former. We spent decades playing games on smaller resolutions.

ajoshi

Sep 11, 2021
Most of my friends opted for Series X at all costs even though they run 1080-1440p monitors and I just don't get it. There are a few games that fall behind on S but otherwise yea it really was a smart decision by MS

Have to say though, and I won't be first to say this, diff between 1080 and 4k is massive on a large enough TV so this topic title may get you dogpiled. 1440 is def fine up into the 50s of inches but 1080 is stretching

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
yeah i have to admit i can't for the life of me tell whether a game im playing is 1080p or 4K, at least from my couch. let alone if its something in between..

im used to 480p or lower because im old, so everything just looks super sharp to me now heh. i really wish devs would use the processing power for better physics, draw distance, animations and AI etc instead of an ever sharper image :/

Basquiat

alt account
Banned
Apr 2, 2020
There's a big, big difference between 1080p and 4K, doesn't mean you can't be perfectly happy with the former. We spent decades playing games on smaller resolutions.
I also agree with this. For epic story driven single player games 4k is well worth it. For instance the ps5 version of FFVII Remake looks leagues better than the ps4 version. It really does just depend on the type of game for me.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Most of my friends opted for Series X at all costs even though they run 1080-1440p monitors and I just don't get it (they are also big Apple Consumers (tm) so that probably explains the mindset). There are a few games that fall behind on S but otherwise yea it really was a smart decision by MS

There is still going to be a big performance difference between Series X and Series S even if you don't own a 4K or 1440p display.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I have a Series S with a 1080p 144hz screen.

I switched from performance mode (1080 60) to quality (1440 30) and the frame rate was so bad. I am fine with 1080 and I'm double fine if it means a good FPS compared to high res.

FLX127

Jul 21, 2021
It all depends on the size of your tv and how far away from it you're sitting though.

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
Anything beyond 1080p is steep diminishing returns.

edit: in terms of video content.

ohitsluca

Oct 29, 2017
There is a pretty noticeable difference between 4k and 1080p. The problem is resolution isn't the only factor when it comes to games and how they look. 1080p with good AA and max settings can actually present a sharper image than a "4k" image that is AI upscaled/temporally reconstructed or whatever from 1080p with a lot of other IQ settings lowered. On console we have very few games that are true 4k, and even fewer that are true 4k that aren't set to low/medium settings (if comparing to PC). It's the same with streaming media that is 4k…. Watch a 4k Blu-ray and stream side by side. Play a native 4k game with max settings next to a native 1080p game and the differences become much clearer (literally)

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
4k is a big difference but not one I'm concerned with at this point. With the supply issues surrounding GPUs and consoles, it's out of sight out of mind for now. When this all clears up (if?) I'd invest the extra cash in pushing those pixels. But as far as that luxury tax goes for now, it's not close to worth it when the Series S is right there.

Deleted member 5129

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you're playing on my 4k monitor 1080p looks insanely blurry and uncomfortable, so yes there is a difference

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
It is a big difference come on now. 1440p is the most balanced resolution imo. It looks great even on 4k TV

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
How can you make a statement like this without actually playing the game in 4K?

Side by side, you'll obviously see a difference.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
I'm fine with 1440p,
1080p on the other hand is pretty obvious difference. see guardians of galaxy performance mode for an example.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The thing that ruins the Series S for me is the storage space. You start thinking well I'll just get the expansion card but that's $200 which is the same price gap between you and a Series X at that point which also gets you a disc drive and more power and more space.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'm ok with 1440p, 1080p on the other hand…

Same. 1080p is too low of a resolution for me, but all that matters is that you're happy with your purchase. Who cares what we think.

If you're playing on my 4k monitor 1080p looks insanely blurry and uncomfortable, so yes there is a difference

Returnal is one of the best looking games that has come out in a while.
Its 1080p.

Roldan

Oct 29, 2017
I honestly think resolution makes a lot more difference in the PC space, where you're a lot closer to the screen

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Returnal is one of the best looking games that has come out in a while.
Its 1080p.
It's not 1080p though. It's doing a 2 step image reconstruction to hit 4K. Now it may have artifacts, and it may not look as sharp as native 4K or even 1 step image reconstruction to 4K (like 1440p CBR to 4K). But it sure is going to look significantly cleaner than 1080P.

aronmayo

Jul 29, 2020
I agree, though I still think a Series X generally is a much better experience on a 4K TV.

1080p in 2021 is just nothing like 1080p was in 2013. When most people think about what 1080p looks like they think of Nintendo games and early PS4 games with outdated antialiasing implementations (or none at all in many games). Temporal antialiasing and reconstruction that we have now makes modern 1080p games, for the most part, look much cleaner than you'd expect. Halo: Infinite looks really good on Series S, even on a 4K TV.

Oct 27, 2017
It's cool you're OK with it, but I played Infinity in 1080p and even as someone who cannot usually spot or doesn't usually care about these things, even I noticed and switched back to dynamic 4K soon after. 1080p was just too blurry on some of the edges.

Anastasis

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Is HDMI the only way to drive a display? I have a usb-c powered monitor that would be kind of cool to play with on a Series S, but don't think that's possible.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
I think the difference is a less apparent if you are playing on a monitor that is native to your resolution of choice.

1080p will look fine as long as it is used on a 1080p native screen.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure first parties put a lot of effort into the Series S, but long term I would never trust 3rd parties to keep up quality on it especially when we get more next gen only games. Which is why I'm going with X. Glad you're enjoying Halo and that it runs great.

Geezer

Jan 29, 2018
Honestly, I was set on buying a Series S but the comparisons of Forza Horizon 5 are what pushed me over the edge to buy the Series X and Im happy with my purchase. Also the fact that a lot of games won't hit 1440p, particularly third party ones.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
1440p is where it's at for me

I can definitely tell when something is 1080p though

gabegabe

Jul 5, 2018
Brazil
I own a Series S since March and only two games I really noticed the low resolution: Control: Ultimate Edition and The Medium. In moments with too much action happening in the screen I noticed the lower resolution on Control and in the Medium it was basically all the time. I've played more than 100 games there and have yet to see more games that have bad resolution. I play the Series S on a 4k TV and it looks great.

OP
OP
Masterz1337

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017

Most of my friends opted for Series X at all costs even though they run 1080-1440p monitors and I just don't get it. There are a few games that fall behind on S but otherwise yea it really was a smart decision by MS

Have to say though, and I won't be first to say this, diff between 1080 and 4k is massive on a large enough TV so this topic title may get you dogpiled. 1440 is def fine up into the 50s of inches but 1080 is stretching

It all depends on the size of your tv and how far away from it you're sitting though.

How can you make a statement like this without actually playing the game in 4K?

Side by side, you'll obviously see a difference.

How big is your TV and what model?

I have a 70" 4k LED LG, I forget the exact model number so I am def pushing the limits of 1080p on it 4k is much better but I think the gains I am getting compared to the One X are worth sacrificing the pixels. For some games like Apex is makes sense to switch back to the One X over the Series S. But for something like Gears 3, and other BC games, even with resolution reductions the Series S is so much better. Nevermind that Halo is much better on Series S than the One X.

The thing that ruins the Series S for me is the storage space. You start thinking well I'll just get the expansion card but that's $200 which is the same price gap between you and a Series X at that point which also gets you a disc drive and more power and more space.
This is so stupid. Like when I do get a Series X or whatever succeeds it, I'll probably just sell the S and eat the cost. But if I ran out of storage on it where it became a real issue, I'd still do the same thing. They really screwed up with that, should have just shipped both systems with 1tb SSD. Would have made sense on the S too since it's all digital the more space you have, the more people would be incentivized to buy more or explore GP more. Right now mine is almost full with flight sim, Infinite and Matrix.

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018
Well it's a cross gen games.
It already shows the limits of the system on Flight Simulator, The Medium or Matrix.

I think it's great for now but not really future proof.
Its funny how people keep saying this, yet, the S keeps on proving itself. If you dont care about 4K ( I'm not the type that does, aside from my movies) The Series S is a staggering, powerful little box.