• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Demo is up on the Japanese eShop. Yup, this sure is picross with more text. Basically, it seems you choose a character & they have their own set of puzzles, and Mega Picross is now a toggle. Like for the main character, there's 9 normal puzzles, 3 color puzzles, & one giant picture made up of numerous smaller puzzles, then each time you solve a puzzle, it'll show it next to a picture from the anime, plus a gallery to see all of said pics.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Demo is up on the Japanese eShop. Yup, this sure is picross with more text. Basically, it seems you choose a character & they have their own set of puzzles, and Mega Picross is now a toggle. Like for the main character, there's 9 normal puzzles, 3 color puzzles, & one giant picture made up of numerous smaller puzzles, then each time you solve a puzzle, it'll show it next to a picture from the anime, plus a gallery to see all of said pics.
do you get a badge for finishing a level with no assists?

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
Doesn't seem so, no. I went into options & turned off all 3 assists and redid a puzzle, but nothing different happened.

giphy.gif

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see it's still translated in multiple languages (EFIGS) despite this one having way more text, good job Jupiter!

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
hmmmm...
With 162 Picross and Mega Picross puzzles, 330 Clip Picross puzzles, and 27 Color Picross puzzles, there are over 500 puzzles to play!

so 81 puzzles you can solve in normal and mega mode, 27 color puzzles, and 330 clip picross ones. that's A LOT of clip mode puzzles.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
I have zero familiarity with Overlord, but I will play this because it's Jupiter-developed Picross. I've played some mobile nonogram games, and the different quirks of controls and generally weaker presentation made me stop checking them out. Jupiter's have the nicest polished feeling.

deadbass

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not gonna lie, I understand where the people who want touch controls are coming from (I used stylus for Picross DS up til Picross E3), but I ended up switching because buttons are so much more precise and I would never go back. I think you just have to give it some time and I think you'll find that you're faster and more accurate in the end. I could be wrong of course, but that was my experience.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not gonna lie, I understand where the people who want touch controls are coming from (I used stylus for Picross DS up til Picross E3), but I ended up switching because buttons are so much more precise and I would never go back. I think you just have to give it some time and I think you'll find that you're faster and more accurate in the end. I could be wrong of course, but that was my experience.
I still prefer touch controls, but I got used to the buttons and I enjoy them fine now. I don't think the buttons will ever be faster, though. There's lag built into them that isn't there with a stylus.

deadbass

Oct 27, 2017
I still prefer touch controls, but I got used to the buttons and I enjoy them fine now. I don't think the buttons will ever be faster, though. There's lag built into them that isn't there with a stylus.

I guess I was just kinda shaky with the stylus because I found once I got to 15x15s I would make mistakes pretty constantly. Also I like buttons for counting empty spaces (that's very specific to me, probably).

Anyways I obviously think it's better to include more options (although I don't know how much fun it would be to do a 20 x 15 on a capacitive screen with your finger).

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Dumb question- what time to US pre-purchases unlock on Thursday? I have a 2 hour train ride at 9:45 Thursday morning and would REALLY like to play this the whole time

Alternativly, how hard is it to purchase from the Australia eshop, if that unlocks earlier?

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
SORRY, KIDS, THIS PICROSS IS TOO EXTREME FOR YOU

TEEN FOR T, "language, violent references"

...I just find it so funny we have a puzzle game, let alone Picross, that's rated higher than an E.

Dumb question- what time to US pre-purchases unlock on Thursday? I have a 2 hour train ride at 9:45 Thursday morning and would REALLY like to play this the whole time

Alternativly, how hard is it to purchase from the Australia eshop, if that unlocks earlier?
Noon EST, or 9 a.m. Pacific, i.e. when the Eshop updates.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017

...I just find it so funny we have a puzzle game, let alone Picross, that's rated higher than an E.

Noon EST, or 9 a.m. Pacific, i.e. when the Eshop updates.
The fact that there isn't an anime tiddy reveal picross on Steam right now with an adults only rating actually makes me angry

And ugh, that update time. Going to look into foregn e-shops...

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
updated the OP with new links and info

i 100% agree. even on the DS i preferred button controls. i just think they're much better and more precise than using a stylus. i think people who are skipping these because of no touch controls should give button controls a chance.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone

Can't wait for the historic M-rated Senran Kagura Picross: Mega Mammary Nanograms, now featuring touch screen support!*

*(Dressing Room mode only. Puzzles not compatible with the touch screen.)

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
game will launch today. still not sure if i should get it day 1 or wait until i'm one with FE :/

edit: looks like i won't be getting FE until saturday or sunday so pre-purchased this.

Last edited:

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
So I cleared all the puzzles minus the mega picross for a character & when I backed out, saw a silver & gold stamp underneath that character's name. You still get nothing for beating all puzzles without help, but according to the tutorial:

"An icon is displayed when you clear all picross puzzles, color picross puzzles, & clip picross puzzles, as well as a completion icon for clearing all puzzles"

I guess if you want, turn off the aids & consider those icons as your own proof of clearing all puzzles without help, even if that's not what they indicate?

Oh yeah, you can also unlock 4 bonus pictures as you clear more puzzles....as in more images, not additional puzzles.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
finished the game after 35 hours.

if you're gonna pick up a picross game on switch, this isn't the one i recommend, only pick this up if you've beaten S, S2 and S3. it's still good old picross, with great UI and mechanics (even tho not giving points for doing puzzles without assists bothered me a bit) but the anime theme just drags the game down. the S games have a very clean, minimalistic presentation with great relaxing music (even tho i mostly play while muting the switch and listening to podcasts), but this one... i dunno. i just didn't like the anime style. the story is complete nonsense, impossible to understand or care for and is presented in this awkward way which i guess would make sense to fans of the manga/anime since it's mostly done by recapping past events, but for me it just felt weird.
then there's the puzzles. there's a severe lack of any hard puzzles. there wasn't even one that i got stomped on and it took 20 or 30 minutes to solve. the basic and mega puzzles were very easy, and since there's 9 chapters and each one has 5x5 and 10x10 puzzles, there's just way too many easy puzzles to solve whereas in the main games you just finish 1 or 2 pages of small puzzles and then it's just larger puzzles. there's way too many clip puzzles which are never that fun to solve since they consist of a lot of 5x5, 5x10, etc puzzles. the color puzzles were fun but there's too few of them. i hope S4 has at least 50 color puzzles, hopefully even more.

tl;dr: in my opinion, don't bother with this one. get one of the S titles if you haven't beaten all of them, and if you have just wait for S4.