Not open for further replies.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
368035e6db058486.jpg

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think the key with the Ghana funeral ones is the timing.. the original batch posted were all just perfect timing. A lot of the others I've seen are very.. hit or miss.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a cat scientist either but I know my cat's face.

I was kidding but In this specific instance Mrs Stinkles showed me that tweet last night and remarked that BOTH cats were dead ringers for our enormous cat, Monkey and we only knew for sure they weren't him because they were too small.

Here's a picture of monkey shortly before he reached critical mass.

shhiNbV.jpg

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I was kidding but In this specific instance Mrs Stinkles showed me that tweet last night and remarked that BOTH cats were dead ringers for our enormous cat, Monkey and we only knew for sure they weren't him because they were too small.

Here's a picture of monkey shortly before he reached critical mass.

shhiNbV.jpg

Monster! How another pic where he's not sleeping?

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I felt intrigue but my hopes were too high.

Edit: sorry I thought Id be right after the Fred, Albert and Inspector clip..

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
To be fair, there was a doppelganger of one of my cats in the neighborhood who wore the same collar as mine and came when I called, so I almost ended up taking her home myself before realizing she was missing a striped patch on her stomach. I can understand how that shit can happen.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, there was a doppelganger of one of my cats in the neighborhood who wore the same collar as mine and came when I called, so I almost ended up taking her home myself before realizing she was missing a striped patch on her stomach. I can understand how that shit can happen.
We lost our dog, a cocker spaniel, and when we came home from school one day a man had brought our dog back and put it over the fence and left a note.

That same day our dog came back....

Oct 29, 2017

Can someone explain this to me? I've seen a couple different variations of this over the last few weeks and I feel like maybe its referencing something Sponge Bob related? I think the original version of the meme was a sponge bob clip with the same music over it but is it referencing a particular thing from the show? I'm a few years too old to have watched the show as a kid.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
I think the key with the Ghana funeral ones is the timing.. the original batch posted were all just perfect timing. A lot of the others I've seen are very.. hit or miss.
That is the iron law of memes. There's the initial crop that are good and then the meme explodes and a bunch of people just make the same jokes again but worse.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That is the iron law of memes. There's the initial crop that are good and then the meme explodes and a bunch of people just make the same jokes again but worse.

True! I do think there is usually a bounce (maybe a dead cat bounce) where they get better for a time, before just completely falling off the rails. Rarely do they ever top the originals though.

Like this one...

If they'd cut it a second sooner before it hit them, it'd be a lot funnier. (They're apparently ok BTW)

Like the one above with the ice cracking, cutting to the funeral guys right as he looks at the camera like WTF is comedy genius. No one wants to see the outcome, really, we want to see the funny dancing guys which implies they died.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
Hah, interestingly I thought the timing on the first set was absolutely awful, and it wasn't until the second crop that people actually managed to time them well. But yes, it's absolutely about the timing, you need a single moment of 'oh shit' before cutting to the funeral, otherwise it feels rushed.

Oct 27, 2017

Yep. The cut to the funeral without showing the incident actually happen is the comedy. Your brain gathers enough information to infer what was about to happen.

That push-up one is a great example of the comedy timing in full effect.

Otherwise there's a ton of these out there now just showing people getting hurt and then cutting to the funeral. That's not funny, there's no cleverness to that, it's just a fail video with a meme ending at that point.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Another timing problem. If they'd cut either just before his first touch - or as the idiot stands up after the first push and heads back.

Status
Not open for further replies.