• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 2, 2017
Multiple photo agencies, including Reuters and AP, have pulled a new image of the Princess of Wales from circulation over concerns that it has been "manipulated".

The picture in question was released on Sunday morning to celebrate Mother's Day and shows Kate surrounded by her and Prince William's three children: Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis.

The image was initially circulated by a number of picture agencies but on Sunday night at least two withdrew it and told media outlets to "kill" the photo from their systems and archives.

Associated Press also updated its website to inform journalists and broadcasters that the picture was being "killed".

The updated caption read: "At closer inspection, it appears that the source has manipulated the image."

Kensington Palace had provided the photo to agencies and said it had been taken by the Prince of Wales earlier this week.

Kensington Palace has declined to comment

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/C4U_IqTNaqU/?utm_source=ig_embed&ig_rid=4267777e-b175-4d54-ae48-a23a3d412b8a

This is the other most recent picture, taken by media photographers

1b35035f159e4116bac1d444c9ed664f_md.jpg

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
As someone with very little context on this, what is going on with her specifically? Has she just been missing for a while? Is there speculation of something more serious?

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I'm blind or dumb but I fail to see how the grainy as fuck pap pic taken from 100 yards away through a windscreen with her sunglasses on is more representative of what she looks like right now and what I'm expected to learn about what in her gram got 'manipulated'

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
As someone with very little context on this, what is going on with her specifically? Has she just been missing for a while? Is there speculation of something more serious?
She went into the hospital and no one knows why, and the royality been real weird about it

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017

She had some form of surgery (publicly announced) with a long recovery period (publicly announced) but then I think it got extended, they were vague about what it was, nobody had seen her or her family publicly for awhile so rumours started flying. Conspiracy theories abound on her being killed off / getting a BBL or other non-critical surgeries... The internet being the internet.

But now they've released this image and there it's a spot the difference of photoshop blunders.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I did not care in the slightest about this story, but seeing the Royal family try and fail to lie and do damage control is fascinating.

They are an institution that has only been able to survive this long because they can lie to maintain a public image, and the political and media establishment will go along with them (for the most part).

Great to see this continue to crack.

I have no idea what is actually going on with Kate Middleton, if this is anything to do with Will's reported infidelity, a health problem, or something else entirely, but I want to get rid of the royal family and I hope wherever this story leads, results in continued weakening of their position.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
Watching the 10 o clock news and the royal correspondent mentioned she's not wearing her wedding ring in the photo?

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
This has been the sort of silly nonsense story that gets the nutters and your aunt on facebook all riled up over what's really nothing.

At least until now when the pic they put out to show Kate's fine gets pulled for manipulation. Which is objectively funny and will just fuel even more crazies.

Jubilant Duck

Oct 21, 2022
nah

The Royal Family is a disgustingly corrupt, outdated institution but they don't fuck about with announcements of births or deaths because the family tree is what monarchies are founded on.

The amateur-hour photoshopping was incredibly ill-advised though given the rampant conspiracy theories going on right now.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
She had some form of surgery (publicly announced) with a long recovery period (publicly announced) but then I think it got extended, they were vague about what it was, nobody had seen her or her family publicly for awhile so rumours started flying. Conspiracy theories abound on her being killed off / getting a BBL or other non-critical surgeries... The internet being the internet.

But now they've released this image and there it's a spot the difference of photoshop blunders.
Given the understanding of having had abdominal surgery, the pic is actually more believable. They have her sitting instead of standing and wearing black to disguise her torso.

A bit of makeup and photoshop and you get the image. What do people think is going on? That it's a body double or something?

Beefsquid

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I don't think there is anything actually wrong or conspiratorial, but jfc the PR crew for the royals has handled this so badly. Just stoking the conspiracy flames

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The only way the world will get off of this Kate bs is if they have Kate go live on tv lol

SpoonSpatula

Oct 27, 2017
The damage control over this is bizarre, right? They probably took multiple shots of the official photo, and combined certain elements for the final published one. Isn't it just different composited photos? This happens with celebrities all the time when they release their annual thanksgiving, christmas cards, etc.

And now all the headlines are ominously saying there are 'manipulation' concerns. It feels like a major overreaction to a simple photoshop gaffe. Won't stop the media from turning it into a "oh no, what is she hiding" controversy, though.

Zaph

Oct 25, 2017
Will bought a Pixel and used Best Take. Now wishes he used Kate's iPhone

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
The damage control over this is bizarre, right? They probably took multiple shots of the official photo, and combined certain elements for the final published one. And then everyone discovered the screwed up the edit on the hand. This happens with celebrities all the time when they release their annual thanksgiving, christmas cards, etc.

It feels like a major overreaction to a simple photoshop gaffe, and now it snowballed into a "oh no, what is she hiding" controversy.
They literally only released this photo to shut down discussion of her seeming total disappearance. They would just take the photo again, not photoshop it, if there were any issue with the photo.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney

no one has seen her in public in some time. so when edited pictures of her come out it makes it seem like she won't or can't take public photos. this has lead to specualtion that;

1) she's actually dead
2) something went wrong with her surgery (joke is she got a BBL)/she has health issues
3) she isn't co-operating with the Palace for some reason (speculated marital issues with William)

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Boys Club Rhetoric
Educate me, Era.

What is a BBL.

Please post pictures to help me learn.

Lots of them.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
This shit is hilarious. You'd think they would have a pretty official team checking on this kind of thing before it's posted.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I choose to believe the conspiracy theories around this because I find that entertaining

Alent

"This guy are sick"
Oct 28, 2017
I really don't see the big deal about it. She had surgery and has spent time privately recovering from that surgery? That's not really shocking or interesting, but it's somehow blowing up with doctored (?) pics and stuff? Just say she's taking some private time, i dunno.

edit: read danm999's post so that somewhat explains it.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
They could have had William, or whomever actually made the picture, shoot a dozen pictures and pick the best one. But they just had to photoshop shit.

Though I suppose a real picture would have been picked apart as well. Anything to fan the conspiracy flames.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
They could have had William, or whomever actually made the picture, shoot a dozen pictures and pick the best one. But they just had to photoshop shit.

Though I suppose a real picture would have been picked apart as well. Anything to fan the conspiracy flames.
They didn't photoshop it to make up for the kids not posing perfectly.

They did it because she is unwilling or unable to be photographed.

Oct 28, 2017
Australia
Every official photograph you've seen of anyone in the last 20 years has been photoshopped. It is usually better than this, however. You try to get three kids to pose perfectly in the same photo.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Every official photograph you've seen of anyone in the last 20 years has been photoshopped. It is usually better than this, however.

And how many of these have had a mandatory kill order from AP? With AP stating the image has been "manipulated", suggesting not just color correction, contrast tweeaking or cropping etc, but a materially altered image that does not represent what it claims to represent.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
I can't imagine these things are released without being looked over and approved by multiple people. It is incredible that they would put this image out and especially at a time when conspiracy theories are rife. I don't know what is going on and I don't particularly care but it is a little bit funny to see their PR backfire so badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.