• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Struggling to think of examples but I usually really enjoy it when this happens. Keyword is completely. Usually in most fiction the good ones start out the story feeling great, then they get their hopes up and get beat down, the baddies get the upper hand, then the goodies come to their senses, maybe round each other up and give each other a pep talk, then they promptly save the day. What about pieces of fiction where the baddies never stood a chance?

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I guess there can't be that many as that wouldn't make for a very interesting story.

But top of my head, One Punch Man?

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I mean this moment just felt like overkill to the point that they had to nerf Vision and send Thor to another planet to make Infinity War believable.
5153241-9044025380-re-st.gif

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I guess like half the Yakuza games, Kiryu becomes overpowered after the first two games, once he's found out who's behind the conspiracy, he beats the shit out of them.. or their son, if they're incapacitated.

Oct 29, 2017
Movies where con artists are the hero and everything goes according to the plan, including faking their own defeat. e.g. The Sting, Nine Queens, Ocean's Eleven

Huncho

Jun 10, 2020
Cordell Walker in Walker Texas Ranger. You knew the antagonist was strong when he was able to land a hit or two.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
The Dante half of Devil May Cry 4.

Worst and hardest day of Nero's life, random Tuesday side mission for Uncle Dante.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One Punch Man, and it is glorious. Feels like a breath of fresh air.

You have Genos as the typical shounen protagonist with powerups, evolution of skills, and all that regular power curve, yet he's treated as the biggest jobber ever no matter what he does.

While Saitama on the other hand straights up bodies everyone.

Striferser

Oct 28, 2017
One Punch Man.

Saitama never use his full power even in the latest chapters. He curbstomped everyone foolish enough to fight against him

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
In Under Siege 2, Steven Segal is on board a train fighting his way theough thugs up to the main bad guy. When he gets to him, he dismantles him. Like, I don't think Segal takes a single punch. Come to think of it, I the same thing happened in the first movie too.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
i feel like the thing you're looking for is pretty rare because it would be very difficult to make that a remotely engaging or exciting story. i think most times this has happened it's been because of poor execution where it ends up seeming like the bad guys had no chance because of the way the story shakes out, like the ultron example above.

like even john wick movies have moments where he's challenged

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
08top-cop-films1.jpg

Most Bollywood action heroes are rofl stomping everything. But this dude... Yeah.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
Yumeko Jabami in Kakegurui is too dominant. There's also Katanagatari and Kara no Kyoukai, both of which are superior viewings.

Oct 28, 2017
Obelix (always) and Asterix + the rest of the Gallians (when on their magic potion)

Obviously there are lots of shenanigans that still allow for interesting stories, but the Romans, or any other armed forces or fighters are just there to be curbstomped

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
One Punch Man isn't even completely true. It's always one guy that can take on the strongest of villains. As a group of protagonists, they fail most of the time leaving that one guy to clean up the mess.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
The Matrix: Neo versus Agent Smith. You know the part, right after Neo becomes The One and realizes he can see the code of the Matrix, and just starts casually slapping Smith around like he's nothing. The other Matrix films try to revisit it to various degrees, but it never gets as good as it was here again. This is, to my mind, the quintessential protagonist smackdown moment in film.

John Wick: John Wick versus Iosef. The whole sequence, honestly, but particularly for the way he dispatches Iosef himself. No unnecessary drama, no cinematic flourish, he just caps the little shit like he's nothing.

Bleach: Ichigo versus Aizen. The protagonist sets the tone by, instead of following the classic anime trope of "follow me so we can fight in a desert wasteland", instead casually grabbing the antagonist by the face and forcefully dragging him there. There aren't many better examples I can think of where the protagonist just comes right off the block letting the villain know they are not going to be putting up with any of their shit. There are certainly more one-sided beatdowns in anime, but outside of straight-up parody (OPM) I doubt you'll find many that feature a multi-arc antagonist getting this kind of drubbing.

Ed, Edd, and Eddie: Rolf versus Anyone. He just slaps their shit. There's nothing else to say.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
That's sums up The Culture very well.

There's a reason people in the Culture universe say the following:

"Don't fuck with The Culture."

The decimation of an entire war fleet by a single Culture Abominator class war ship called the Falling Outside the Normal Moral Constraints is one great example, from the book Surface Detail.

Or a rogue faction in Look to Windward been decimated by something known as E-Dust another.

There are many such examples from The Culture series by Iain M. Banks.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
I know this isn't in the video games section, but Suikoden V. Your tactician in that game runs circles around the enemies at all times.

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
Yumeko Jabami in Kakegurui is too dominant. There's also Katanagatari and Kara no Kyoukai, both of which are superior viewings.
Kara no Kyoukai is a great shout, actually. It's not like Shiki never struggles, but in terms of actual combat, when your superpower is the ability to instakill literally anything you get a story where physical conflicts can only really go one way.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Mob Psycho whenever it comes to anything telekinetic related. That's why the focus is on Mob wanting to be good at normal things and the personal relationships between the characters.

The new Equalizer movies.

Facts, even the elite squad of old partners stood no chance.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
That's sums up The Culture very well.

There's a reason people in the Culture universe say the following:

"Don't fuck with The Culture."

The decimation of an entire war fleet by a single Culture Abominator class war ship called the Falling Outside the Normal Moral Constraints is one great example, from the book Surface Detail.

Or a rogue faction in Look to Windward been decimated by something known as E-Dust another.

There are many such examples from The Culture series by Iain M. Banks.
I was going to add the 'do not fuck with' sentiment of the Culture but I was beaten to it.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
There is one series on my mind, but I'd actually be spoiling the first season, because the fact that two of the protagonists are overpowered as fuck, to the point where they were never in danger, is one of the twists.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
If you do it too much it just takes all the tension away from the story, making all the bad guys seem harmless and closer to victims than actual opponents.
Baki quickly turns into "all the hyped up super powerful villains we introduced are total jobbers who lose to any rando". Later Terry Pratchett books had an issue with protagonists becoming far too competent for the threats they faced.

One Punch Man gets away with it by being comedy. Well, comedy for Saitama, serious shonen drama for everybody else.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
There is one series on my mind, but I'd actually be spoiling the first season, because the fact that two of the protagonists are overpowered as fuck, to the point where they were never in danger, is one of the twists.
PM me the serie

Otherwise, too many Michael Jai White movies to the point it's honestly boring.

The final fight in Equilibirium, DuPont just gets rolled by Preston.

At least Dupont put up a good show. His henchman before was pathetic.

It doesn't need to. Dragon Ball Z early sagas (Saiyajin and Freezer).
I don't think it applies to DBZ in that case. Despite being hailed the savior, Goku struggled against Vegeta to the point he needed his allies help. Same for Namek, until the Super Sayajin transformation, it was Freeza domination

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2020
If you do it too much it just takes all the tension away from the story, making all the bad guys seem harmless and closer to victims than actual opponents.
Baki quickly turns into "all the hyped up super powerful villains we introduced are total jobbers who lose to any rando". Later Terry Pratchett books had an issue with protagonists becoming far too competent for the threats they faced.
It doesn't need to. Dragon Ball Z early sagas (Saiyajin and Freezer), some arcs of One Piece, all of One Punch Man or just Superman stories, the hero clearly has the strength to beat the villains and the readers know it, so multiple times the problem is simply getting to the villain in time (in One Punch Man it is more about Saitama finally realizing, that there is a villain at all). You can create a lot of drama and tension, if you add a running clock element.