• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pancoar

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I got this game as a birthday present for my 9th birthday. My first pokemon game and it was such an amazing experience to play it at the time.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
They really hit it out of the park with the updated Pokemon sprites. Loved this game!

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'd already give Red a pretty strong run of 151 pokemon but it didn't stop me from going back in for another run. Weird to think I was 11, I figured I was younger.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
My first Pokemon game
All I can think of is how disappointed I was that its voice sounded like a low battery walkie-talkie

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
my first game system was the pikachu special edition. I've played through yellow at least 10 different times since that Christmas and my OG cart still works, the gameboy is worse for wear, however.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
This game is surprisingly strong on a replay and more pleasant than R/B due to the enhancement of the sprites and other added elements in the game. I got it with Red on Christmas nearly 20 years ago and the rest is history.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Somehow, despite joining with gen 3 I managed to get my hands on this game. I can't remember where from either. It's the only physical gen 1 game I own. The sprite improvements are so good, even though the red and blue goofiness is something different compared to how they all became. I really enjoyed how you could get all the starters too.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I used Pikachu through the entire game and I don't regret it. That motherfucker is cute.

Some of the balancing decisions are odd, but I love how you get all the starters and the game in general is a better challenge than Red and Blue.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My first ever handheld game and one of my favorite games of all time. This game literally changed my life. Helped me learn how to socialize and meet people.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I had Pokemon Blue first, but Yellow was the first I actually beat - in Blue I tried the "only raise your starter" strategy which predictably failed (at least for how I was doing it), whereas for Yellow while I still focused mainly on Pikachu I at least caught all the birds before fighting the Elite Four.

I went from finishing the game with only 25 Pokemon in my dex to eventually hitting 140 or so? Then my save file got deleted, although admittedly I think that may have been a conscious decision on my part.

When RBY came out on 3DS VC, I had no choice but to go with Yellow again, and in just about forty hours of in-game time I completed the Pokédex. I had such a good time with it, even got my Pikachu up to level 100.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
tumblr_nqvbq5nnMl1tzbhk4o3_500.gif

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
This was my first Pokémon game. I couldn't beat Brock with pikachu since I refused to catch "lame" Pokémon or grind. I fully blame this game for making me not care about Pokémon.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
My first time beating the Elite Four on 3DS:

12804664_10208973649557202_59546954217102901_n.jpg

I went the Ash Ketchum route and refused to evolve any of my squad (except Butterfree, and I don't remember if I caught Pidgeotto early).

And only because I made a similar collage for Silver a year and a half later:

22308955_10214641844898543_6934291908643384995_n.jpg

Kind of funny how I finished both initial play-throughs with the same number of Pokémon in the dex.

Last edited:

Darknight34

Banned
Apr 29, 2018
This felt like such an adventure as a kid. All I knew was that pokemon was popular, but I didn't know what it even looked like yet. I got a game boy color bundled with the game and the rest was history... Brock and Erica of all people destroyed me.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
I finally got to play Yellow's surfing minigame a few months ago on 3DS, since that version doesn't require a surfing Pikachu. Pretty high production values for the Game Boy Color; can't believe it was essentially locked out for anyone back then who didn't also have an N64, Pokemon Stadium (and lots of time spent therein), and a Transfer Pak.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Second Pokemon game after Pinball, what a ride. Fucking Brock just destroying my team at the beginning lol

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
My dad bought me the yellow gameboy color plus this game when i was 7. Such a great memory and such a good game. First gym was so hard compared to other pokemon games lmao.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yellow was one of the first times I couldn't really cheat the system using the Missingno glitch, along with having a bit of a challenge run having Pikachu in first all the time (Didn't want to make it upset).

I still think when I played it I cheesed it by just catching the Legendary Birds to deal with the Elite 4 at the end though.

Not many reasons to come back to the game nowadays though, there is a remake that's basically a superior version to the game at this point.

I am of course talking about Fire Red and Leaf Green. If only they can get re-released digitally, we are due for it alongside Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald.

Imagine if they wasted everyone's time with a bad remake of these games, and then throw in another version as well to go with it. That sounds about as bad as selling mew with a $50 controller, hahaha.

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017
I remember as a kid spending a ton of time just to unlock the surfing minigame.

It is still my favorite Pokemon game ever

singo

Nov 5, 2017
I finally bought a physical copy of this recently (I also have it on 3DS VC). It really is a great game. Always felt like a pleb playing red and blue while people I knew had yellow :p

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My first Pokémon game, I didn't own a Game Boy when I got it. Instead I played it through Pokémon Stadium. When I'd eventually go to school, I had to borrow my friends' Game Boys to play/trade with them.

Good times.

MangoUltz

Mar 24, 2019
Technically my first Pokemon game, but my parents knew to buy me this and the yellow Gameboy colour because I was obsessed with my friends Pokemon Blue

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I feel weird about Yellow.
It improves the front sprites, but not the back ones so they don't match, and while the RBG ones are uglier, they at least have a certain nostalgia to them.
I'm not sure I liked the anime references.
I know you can get the other starters but not having them at the beginning is once again weird.
It changes some dungeons but they're just different not necessarily better.
I don't know lol. It just lacks something that I can look at and say "this 100% makes the game better than Blue"

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
First Pokemon game I owned.

I had played through most of the Blue Edition from a friend over a night, though. Had some major "Tetris effect" going on the next morning. That didn't feel good at all. Also, I got stuck at the part where you needed to purchase water I think? First didn't know what to do and then was out of money, lol. Well, not sure what my friend did with the save from thereon but I don't think he cared about the game anyway.

Back to the yellow edition, though. While I found it neat that I could see and talk to Pikachu for cute reactions, even back then I didn't exactly favor Pikachu? Dunno, it just wasn't ever my favorite in the anime and it wasn't that strong in the game, which mattered (and still matters!) to me quite a bit. In any case, as a whole the game just seemed so far above other gameboy titles I knew. The franchise hooked its claws into me real good then and boy did I grind a lot of Pkm to level 100. Fun fact, I never once reset the game because, of course, I couldn't. So many hours spend and fuck if I lose all those Pkm.

Well, I think I did reset 2-3 times to play the early parts without saving? Not 100% sure if that was possible but I think so.

Not having additional save slots sure sucked and that very thing came to bite me in my ass in regards to replayability with the next few titles, too. Fuck that lack of feature that somehow still exists today. Smh GF.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I still remember how difficult it was to get a copy of this game where I lived. I used to call Toys R Us, Best Buy, EB Games a few times a week after getting home from school, check the mall on the weekends, and was always told they were sold out. Wasn't until a month or so after it came out (around Thanksgiving time) when I went to visit my relatives (who lived in a much larger city) that I was finally able to find a copy of Yellow at a local Gamestop or EB over there.

I had only played Blue for the first time a few months before Yellow came out, but I remember really enjoying Yellow a lot. Even if it wasn't wildly different from Blue, I remember getting a kick out of the changes I noticed in the story and having Pikachu follow me around. Good times.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I had Red the year before (97?), and adored it. I got Yellow the following Christmas - and boy, did I play the hell out of it. About 200 hours with no guide hunched over a GB Pocket (and then later the hyper hard to see Color).

One of my Top Ten of All Time, and one of the first video games to establish the fleeting interest into a life time hobby.

Chiramii

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
My first Pokémon game, and it had the best starter in the series history! What a great way to start my Pokémon journey. 💛