• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

predict the metascore

• 95-100

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • 90-94

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • 85-89

Votes: 52 34.9%
  • 80-84

Votes: 72 48.3%
  • 75-79

Votes: 15 10.1%
  • 70-74

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • under 70

Votes: 2 1.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Metacritic (85)
OpenCritic (85)

Eurogamer (recommended):
Just like its own small treasures, Pikmin 3 is well worth dusting off, as we wait for the series to properly end its garden leave.

Console Creatures (recommended):
Pikmin 3 has this charm to it that makes it hard to put down. It also appeals to adults as much as children. Pikmin 3 also benefits from being on a Nintendo console that is still selling well and, in many homes, so the base of users who can dive into this experience is greater than it was on the Wii U. That said, the lengthy campaign is incredible and the design choices in play make this one of the smartest games I've played recently. If you need a game that wants to challenge you with excellent exploration, tons of strategy and cute creatures; go out and get yourself Pikmin 3 Deluxe.

The Games Machine (9.3/10, review in Italian):
Pikmin 3 is still fresh, engaging and eventually challenging after all these years and we hope that this Deluxe Edition is just the beginning of a new era for this sweet and hard-working little creatures.

IGN (9/10):
Pikmin 3 Deluxe makes an already excellent game even better and transplants it onto a console where far more people have a chance to see how good it really is. Its Side Stories and difficulty modes aren't massive additions, but they gave me more of the already clever and fast-paced fun that made me fall in love with the original game seven years ago. And while not as flashy new missions, there are a downright impressive amount of smaller touches and quality-of-life adjustments throughout (including replacing the Wii U's Gamepad screen with Switch-friendly controls) that make this the best the Pikmin series has ever felt. There's plenty of reason to come back for returning players, and if you missed Pikmin 3 on the Wii U then you absolutely shouldn't repeat that mistake here.

Destructoid (9/10):
Pikmin 3 Deluxe is another re-release that isn't going to blow some people away, but provides another means with which to play a potentially forgotten Wii U classic. For me, it still holds up, and then some.

Cubed3 (9/10):
There's nothing quite like Pikmin, as it perfectly captures the same magic as Miyamoto's other masterpieces. While the Wii U itself was a sales disappointment, it hosted some absolutely wonderful titles that deserved a better home and it has been great to see them finally receive that with Nintendo's initiative to bring them to Switch. Pikmin 3 was already a superb game, and while this release is not a remaster, the extra elements added to Pikmin 3 Deluxe elevate it to something special. While the price point may be exclusionary for some, this is completely worth the asking price, even as a double-dip for those who already have it on Wii U. Perfect for families to play together, for friends to grab a Joy-Con each, or for solo play sessions to track down every badge and master the highest rank.

God is a Geek (9/10):
Pikmin 3 Deluxe has blossomed on Nintendo Switch into the complete package. With excellent coop and bags of content, it's an experience not to be missed.

Switch Player (4.5/5):
Beautiful, challenging, and engaging, Pikmin 3 Deluxe is a fantastic strategic experience, accessible to players of all skill levels. It's the best version of the best Pikmin title.

Nintendo Insider (9/10):
Pikmin 3 unsurprisingly is still fantastic and Pikmin 3 Deluxe is arguably the best version of the game out there. While some of the new content can feel uninspired and motion controls a tad clunky, that doesn't hurt what is otherwise an outstanding real-time strategy game and a great second chance for players to experience the best Pikmin game to date.

3DJuegos (9/10, review in Spanish):
Pikmin 3 Deluxe is the best choice in order to discover -or rediscover- one of the best Wii U games. This edition adds coop for story mode, new missions, a high difficulty setting and more. Definitely, it's a good improvement when compared with the original release.

XGN (9/10, review in Dutch):
Pikmin 3 Deluxe is a complete game like you tend to get from Nintendo. The graphics got a good brush-up and the controls are adjusted. However, there are still some small issues the game works smoothly. Next to that, the game has some new missions, and you can play the entire game in a worthy split-screen co-op. This is a must-buy for every Switch owner, just because of the great co-op mode.

Areajugones (9/10, review in Spanish):
This is, with no doubt whatsoever, a great chance to enjoy one of the long forgotten gems of Wii U and, what's more, in its best possible version.

PLAY! Zine (8.9/10, review in Bosnian):
Pikmin 3 Deluxe brings back the beloved game and improves it in many fields. Better controls, more of the cooperative options and the new story pieces to name a few. It does not enhance the game in visual terms enough to call it a full improvement, yet if you wanted to go back to the Pikmin 3 or to experience it for the first time, this is the game for you.

Wccftech (8.8/10):
This is probably the best Pikmin game, and this is undoubtedly the best version of it. It's a bit of a shame that this isn't full-HD like many Wii U ports have been, but the quality of Pikmin 3 Deluxe is unmistakable. An excellent action-strategy adventure that'll tempt you into 100% completion, and probably leave you in tears when you see your Pikmin eaten at the end of a complicated day.

Multiplayer.it (8.8/10, review in Italian):
If you have already played Pikmin 3 on Wii U, you can skip this conversion: Olimar's new missions aren't as interesting as we hoped. Otherwise, this is a must have: the best episode in the series, with improved controls.

Hobby Consolas (88/100, review in Spanish):
7 years after its original release, Pikmin 3 for Nintendo Switch is a great strategy and exploration game, with unique characters and interesting additions (prologue, epilogue and main story multiplayer).

Nintendo World Report (8.5/10):
It's very easy to recommend Pikmin 3 Deluxe, especially if you have never played the game before. I wish the new playable content was more substantial or there was online play, but the additions are still an overall positive. The variety of difficulty settings makes the game harder if you want it to be, while also making it far more approachable for gamers of all skill levels. The controls don't quite match the elegant design of the Wii U, but the tweaks here approximate it well enough. I know for me, as someone who played and enjoyed Pikmin 3 on Wii U, revisiting this game again was well worth the time. Pikmin 3 Deluxe is very close to being the definitive version of a modern classic. Now please, bring me more Pikmin adventures. I would like to visit more areas with these little plant aliens.

TrueGaming (8.5/10, review in Arabic):
Pikmin 3 Deluxe and this series is still one of most unique IP's Nintendo has ever made, not for the sole reason of its immersive qualities but the acute sense of responsibility it brings forward while playing.

GamePro Germany (83/100, review in German):
Pikmin 3 Deluxe has cast a spell over me again. And that's mainly due to the co-op mode. Commanding the small Pikmin army and fighting the Beetle opponents has never been as fun as with another player.

Nintenderos (8.3/10, review in Spanish):
Finally, we believe that a Pikmin game can be played by a large public, as with Super Mario Odyssey or Luigi's Mansion 3, offering a fun, different and high-quality experience.

Twinfinite (4/5):
It's a leisurely, slow-paced experience that is fantastic for just kicking back and chilling after a long hard day on the job. Of course, you can raise the difficulty if you want a challenge, but Pikmin 3 is laidback as ever, and because of the changes here, it's more streamlined and accessible for everyone.

It may not have enough new features for revisiting players to sink their teeth into, but there's enough content here that'll make it worth your while.

GameSpot (8/10):
Although Pikmin 3 Deluxe may not offer much in the way of substantial new content, the game still holds up wonderfully thanks to its unique gameplay and carefully constructed levels, and the tweaks and additions that have been implemented here help smooth over the whole package for newer players. Even three installments in, there is no other series quite like Pikmin, which helps Pikmin 3 still feel fresh seven years after its original release.

Critical Hit (8/10):
If you need some optimism and pure joy injected into your life, Pikmin 3: Deluxe Edition is for you. A fantastic remaster that adds a healthy chunk of new content to what was already a bulky game, that improves the overall experience.

GamesRadar (4/5):
Honestly, the Deluxe part of the experience, like DLC and extra missions are all just the icing piped carefully around the main gameplay cake and will be of interest only to the hardcore who need an excuse to purchase Pikmin 3 for a second time. Not that you need one, the game is still a classic and its Honey I Shrunk The Kids miniature world and gameplay translates perfectly to Switch. It's been seven years since Pikmin 3 arrived on the Wii U, and with its tweaks and extra goodies it absolutely deserves another chance in the sun.

GAMINGbible (8/10):
As one of the Wii U's best games, Pikmin 3's arrival on Switch is welcome indeed. Already beautiful, its visuals didn't need much attention; and the controls, while initially a little fiddly, will click after a couple of days' exploration. It's great that more people will now play this compelling, oddly affecting strategic-puzzler (with a hefty splash of terror stirred in, no matter the low expense of the expendables) - and if enough do, who knows? Perhaps Nintendo will commit to releasing a fourth game - it was said to be pretty far along in development as far back as 2015. As certainly, when you get to the end of this game's story, you'll be wanting more.

My Nintendo News (8/10):
Pikmin 3 Deluxe is well-rounded and even more replayable than its original outing seven years ago; it's a joy to experience, even if it's your second time doing so. And with the 'Ultra-spicy Mode', seasoned Pikmin players should look forward to the new challenge that awaits. For newcomers, let's just say you're in for a magnificent treat. If you've never played a Pikmin game before now, stop what you're doing and order yourself a copy. Your tiny but mighty army is waiting for you.

VGC (4/5):
Its new content may be underwhelming, but this demanding strategy adventure is still well worth a revisit.

Nintendo Life (8/10):
Visually, Pikmin 3 Deluxe doesn't push the boat out much further than the original Wii U version did. Where its changes lie are in its revamped control system and the addition of a new Side Stories mode. Neither are necessarily transformative enough to warrant double dipping if you're perfectly happy with your Wii U copy, but if you're one of the vast majority who don't have a Wii U copy, this Switch update is unquestionably the best way to play it.

Gameblog.fr (8/10, review in French):
As fun and refreshing as it was on the original Wii U, Pikmin 3 Deluxe offers a second chance to a very good strategy game. Despite the loss of a second screen, this Switch port add many extras, like an entire bonus arc with well tied challenges, but also very interesting difficulty modes.

Eurogamer Italy (8/10, review in Italian):
Pikmin 3 Deluxe is a pure gem of the Nintendo Difference heritage. It has everything that's needed to feel new to veterans while still catering to a broader audience, but the real magic resides in the roots of the brand. It's a game everyone should try, but it's not as impressive as the original release.

IGN Italia (8/10, review in Italian):
One unforgettable experience, that unfortunately comes to an end too soon. But still, this is one journey everyone should embark on.

MGG Spain (80/100, review in Spanish):
Pikmin 3 Deluxe offers what it promised but doesn't want to go beyond that. It's a great game, but it leaves the feeling of lost opportunity there for not adding an extra layer of improvements beyond its new multiplayer features.

Millenium (80/100, review in French):
Pikmin 3 Deluxe is a wonderful port. The game remains just as enjoyable as it was at the time and will surely take a new generation of players on a journey. More than an exploration game, it's a real ode to discovery, and its simplicity will attract even the most casual player. It's a shame that some of the main flaws of the original game remain, but they don't spoil the gaming experience, which remains relaxing and enjoyable.

PCMag (3.5/5):
It's not Pikmin 4, but Pikmin 3 Deluxe adds just enough to the base game to satisfy fans looking for a Pikmin fix on the Switch. Nintendo could have added more content, but at least the company added something. That said, series newcomers should increase our review score by one point, since the core game carries the same magic that delights us in Nintendo's more-famous franchises. Enjoy the fruit of Pikmin 3's garden.

TheSixthAxis (7/10):
Nintendo continues to revive what some might call their lost generation of games. Pikmin 3 Deluxe is yet another Wii U transplant though one that slots seamlessly into Switch's first party line-up. Although unwieldy and slow to start, Nintendo's charming inventiveness has produced an intriguing, if not excellent, entry in the strategy genre.

Last edited:

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
After playing the demo I'm happy with the new control scheme, hoping it's received well as it's still a fantastic game. Depends on if they're reviewing it as a port of a remaster I suppose

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The original version has a metascore of 87.

85 is my guess for Deluxe.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
It should score 85 or higher, the game absolutely deserves that. But I wonder if the fact that it's a full-price re-release of an old game is gonna hurt the score.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
I'm playing this on my WiiU for the first time, it's a fantastic game and the control scheme on the Switch is decent too. I think the lack of any technical improvements will prevent it from scoring higher.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
Ignoring the price, this is a 95/100 game for me.
But even for those that have never played it yet, don't buy it at full price. €40 would be better.
Not saying it's not worth the price, but I would never support these practices of selling an old game for full price with minor additions. If it was a remastered release, that would be another story.

Had it been the Pikmin triology for $60, would be seeing 90+ reviews.
Or this!

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
This is a great game, but I wonder if reviewers will review a PORT, not a GAME. Because 720p and 30FPS is laughable.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Expecting low 80s for this, even though I'd give it 8.5 or 9 personally going by the demo.

80-84; 81-82 in the end.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Curious to see how much reviewers can talk about the new content. The original was great and this will be a nice purchase later down the line during a slow period.

Nov 5, 2017
The game itself was fantastic on the Wii U, probably my favourite game on the platform. But what Nintendo did on the technical side for the remaster (absolutely nothing) is insulting, considering the € 60 price tag. It feels like they are holding my favourite game hostage.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Why didn't this release a few weeks ago :/

I know that the Switch is its own platform and it's an exclusive but I don't get why you'd release when a lot of the media coverage is going to be on third parties and next gen

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I loved it on WiiU, really took pikmin from good to great.
Expecting the popular 80-84 vote due to how late this port is with few bells and whistles seemingly, I'm not expecting a lot from olimar's new content outside some slightly novel map reuse for another hour or two but boy would I like to be surprised

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
screenshot2020-10-28aadje5.png

FerranMG

Oct 29, 2017
I loved the demo and will purchase the game eventually, but it's technically dated and the 60€ price tag is unacceptable for remaster like this.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Gonna go with 85. It's a very, very good game with some extra content and I doubt many reviewers will care about the resolution/frame rate. There might be some slight criticism of some of the dated looking textures, but again, that's not going to be an issue when the fundamental experience (level design, mechanics etc) is mostly excellent.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder why the New Play Control version of Pikmin was significantly less well received than the original (more than I'd expect for a port), especially when the controls were better?

No new content + being very bare bones compared to pikmin 2 which is 2-3 times as long according to howlongtobeat, were the biggest reasons for the decrease I would assume. Everywhere except America , New play control pikmin 2 releasing a couple of months after 1 probably made that a more popular choice. Apparently it was hugely delayed in the US for some reason?

Apr 9, 2019
I was never interested in Pikmin at all, but the demo sold me. Very tight game feel and focused design, plus charming as heck. Looks nice too - the prominent DoF effect hides the lower resolution quite well. Would be nice if performance is stable.

e60 is a little steep though, so I'll wait a few weeks for that to drop to e50 - which is the spot where most first party Nintendo games end up in NL.

digi_era

Jul 21, 2020
The original was 87 and this one is the same game with extra content and a controlling scheme compatible with the Switch which was well received according to the demo feedback. I honestly don't see any reason why would it get much different score, so I'll go with 85-89.

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017
Can't wait to blaze through the story again, but this time in co op.
It's gonna be niiiiiice weekend

Zaro

Nov 13, 2017
I don't think i'll rebuy it but Pikmin game are the best kind of RTS games i've play.

The Traveller

Oct 31, 2017
Played the demo and really enjoyed my time, enough to buy it. Haven't played a Pikmin game since the first one back on Gamecube.

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
83, but it deserves 89.

I've beaten the game twice on Wii U, and honestly I'm still tempted to pick it up before Black Friday. I want to encourage everyone to pick up this game especially if they haven't played it before, but also because I really, really need Pikmin 4.

Honestly I can think of few game series that are not only so much fun to play but also fill me with such unbridled joy in strategizing tactics.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
The original was 87 and this one is the same game with extra content and a controlling scheme compatible with the Switch which was well received according to the demo feedback. I honestly don't see any reason why would it get much different score, so I'll go with 85-89.
On the other hand... the graphics are a dissapointment for switch (720 docked, sub undocked), the new content is lacking in the opinion of some, the controlls are okay, but universally people liked the more options of the original, and it is a port of a years old game for 60$.

Not that im holding all of those positions, it was a great game on the wii u and i would say, if you havent played it go on, its great. But i could see it fall around 80-85% with those points.
New Super Mario Bros U : 84 -> 80, even if it came with Super Luigi U
Donkey Cong Tropical Freze: 83 -> 86, even increased with the port

Super Mario Galaxy: 97, one of the highest scores on metacritic
Super Mario 3D All Star: Its a port of Galaxy with 64 and Sunshine as bonus for the same price, and has 82

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I appreciate the one person who voted 95-100, whoever you are. Never lose sight of your dreams.

Anastasis

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
My 8yo son is really interested in this because he remembers playing a demo of a 3DS Pikmin game at GameStop a couple of years ago. I've preordered the game for a holiday gift so hope the reviews are solid. He seemed to enjoy the demo.

Blayde

Oct 27, 2017
Kentucky
I was initially excited for this. I would like to play it again, but it doesn't really look improved much from the wii u version. Don't think I can spend $60 on it. Probably woulda done $30-$40. If it ever goes on sale in that range ill probably grab it. Worth getting if you never played the wii u version imo.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
My 8yo son is really interested in this because he remembers playing a demo of a 3DS Pikmin game at GameStop a couple of years ago. I've preordered the game for a holiday gift so hope the reviews are solid. He seemed to enjoy the demo.
uh...totally different gameplay. I still hope he likes it, but let him try the demo first. Its expensive enough to get a feel for the gameplay. (till the first boss fight, including)

Arithmetician

Oct 9, 2019
I might be in a minority of one, but I'm really glad they didn't increase the resolution. The frame rate on the original was not stable at all, and the final boss was almost unplayable going into the single digits.

The switch isn't much more powerful than the Wii U. Keeping the resolution at 720p should let it lock to 30 FPS hopefully

Also, this is a fantastic game people, play it if you haven't, replay it if you have.

digi_era

Jul 21, 2020
Super Mario Galaxy: 97, one of the highest scores on metacritic
Super Mario 3D All Star: Its a port of Galaxy with 64 and Sunshine as bonus for the same price, and has 82

This somewhat shows how the online discussion affects the scoring. Internet hated it so a collection of 94, 92 and 94 point games gets 82.

I somewhat understand the situation because you have to somehow show your opinion about the quality of the pack and the added value and not only the quality of the games in it but it is still strange and I am rather sure it is mostly about the online discussions and not about the quality of enjoyment the product gives.

Another strange one:

Xenoblade Chronicles: 92->89. That Definitive Edition was definitely not a lazy port and it had 10-15 hours of extra content, several fantastic QoL updates. It is objectively the best way to play that game as of right now by a ton, yet if you decide the platform of choice by the scores you'll go for the Wii version.

Layell

One Winged Slayer
Apr 16, 2018
I'm hoping scores similar to the Wii U version, but honestly, some of these ports could use two scores, one if you played it before, and another if you haven't.