Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
Who the hell would prefer the music in New Horizons over New Leaf or the original Gamecube Animal Crossing? That's mind boggling. The list is cute and fun but no wonder I stopped reading Pitchfork after like 2007 - the shit they say sometimes.

Nov 8, 2017
There's somehow both recency bias AND rose tinted nostalgia in the same list. Weird.
Oh well, its not my list.

Lmao it's like subverting expectations: the list. What a strange mix. Without including compilations of real songs, my top 10:

- Ghost Trick
- Nier
- Nier Automata
- Katamari Damacy
- Final Fantasy 7 Remake
- Halo 2
- Hotline Miami
- Shadow of the Colossus
- Super Smash Bros Ultimate
- Metroid Prime

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
No Amon Tobin's OST for Chaos Theory? SMH. It even made videogames cooler in '05:

Also 7.2 is a quite high for Pitchfork. I quess none of the listed haven't been reviewed?

pitchfork.com

Amon Tobin: Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory OST

Ninja Tune star makes the jump to video game soundtracks with this score to Chaos Theory, Xbox's latest addition to Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell series.
Yes, Chaos Theory soundtrack is absolutely incredible. I feel like it flew under the radar because you basically wont hear a lick of it if you're playing well in-game. It's my favorite work from Amon Tobin as well.

Lack of Disasterpeace on there is also lame. Both FEZ and The Floor is Jelly are top 20 contenders easily.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao it's like subverting expectations: the list. What a strange mix. Without including compilations of real songs, my top 10:

- Ghost Trick
- Nier
- Nier Automata
- Katamari Damacy
- Final Fantasy 7 Remake
- Halo 2
- Hotline Miami
- Shadow of the Colossus
- Super Smash Bros Ultimate
- Metroid Prime

Journey and Ori too. I mean its their opinion and all but it still feels quite unrelatable.

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
THPS2 and NBA Street Vol 2, while great, those 2 are cheating lol. Might as well fill this list with Guitar Hero and Rock Band games. But yeah, trying to cram 20 years of video game OST's into a top 12 list is a terrible idea. Wayyyy too many great soundtracks out there. Some great choices on this list though.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Lmao no NieR.

Persona 5 deservies a spot just for "Price".

GOAT song. When it kicks in at 21 I always have to jam. Impossible to ressist.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just surprised they didn't find a way to shoehorn 10 Radiohead albums into that list.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
No Tetris Effect? Fuck outta here, Pitchfork.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Eh I would disqualify licensed soundtracks (THpS/NBA Street)

Also WoW should be there somewhere

Oct 31, 2017
No Tropical Freeze means they didn't play Tropical Freeze.

Edit: Also, I see the thread title doesn't quite indicate what the selection criteria was in the actual article.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
YOOOO

THIS LIST IS LEGIT

Celeste, Monument Valley, THPS2, Undertale

The Sims

godlike

www.youtube.com

The Sims Soundtrack: Building Mode 3

The third of twelve music pieces that come from the PC game "The Sims." The build mode music was written by Jerry Martin alongside Marc Russo and John R Burr...

www.youtube.com

The Sims Soundtrack: Building Mode 5

The fifth of twelve music pieces that come from the PC game "The Sims." The build mode music was written by Jerry Martin alongside Marc Russo and John R Burr...

Mr Pricklefingers

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 4, 2017
I mean Deadly Premonition is a niche game, so it's understandable they haven't had the opportunity to experience it's generation defining soundtrack.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
do the people at pitchfork actually play enough games to make a qualified list lmao

I like most of the entries on the list but there are some really notable misses

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Pitchfork just put up a list of their 12 favourite video game soundtracks/OSTs of the past 20 years, pretty good choices in the article IMO.

pitchfork.com

Our Favorite Video Game Music of the Past 20 Years

Including the soothing lullabies of Animal Crossing, the punk and hip-hop blasts of Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 2, the ambient soundscapes of Monument Valley, and more

Animal Crossing: New Horizons (2020)
Composers: Kazumi Totaka, Yasuaki Iwata, Yumi Takahashi, Shinobu Nagata, Sayako Doi, Masato Ohashi

Celeste (2019)
Composer: Lena Raine

Eternal Sonata (2007)
Composers: Motoi Sakuraba, Frédéric Chopin

Monument Valley (2014)
Composers: Stafford Bawler, Obfusc, and Grigori

NBA Street Vol. 2 (2003)
Various Artists

Persona 5 (2016)
Composer: Shoji Meguro

Space Channel 5 (2000)
Composers: Naofumi Hataya, Kenichi Tokoi, Ken Woodman

Shadow of the Colossus (2005)
Composer: Kow Otani

The Sims (2000)
Composer: Jerry Martin

Superbrothers: Sword and Sworcery EP (2011)
Composer: Jim Guthrie

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (2000)
Various Artists

Undertale (2015)
Composer: Toby Fox
No final fantasy automatically makes this a shit tier list. Next.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Usually with lists I'm understanding or even close but the ordering is different. I'm not on the same page, or even same in the same book as these picks.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Everyone's opinion about everything is trash except me. I have perfect taste in literally anything, even things that don't exist anymore or do not yet exist.

Aftervirtue

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
No Chrono Cross (2000 US- release for the uncouth Pitchfork staff) no Nier, no Skies of Arcadia, No JSRF? Pitchfork and their staff have always been shit. Just more confirmation.

Last edited:

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can people read the link or the OP, or is that too hard? I swear, this fucking place sometimes. The way some of you are reacting, it's as if they're trying to frame this as a best of all time list or fact. This is what the article says... in case you missed it:

Here are 12 of our faves from the last 20 years, in alphabetical order. –Noah Yoo

-All releases featured here are independently selected by our editors

This is the staff's favorite video game music. Just because YOUR favorite soundtrack didn't make it, doesn't make it trash. It's a harmless article yet people in here are acting pretentious as hell... the very thing you're pointing the finger at Pitchfork for.

do the people at pitchfork actually play enough games to make a qualified list lmao

I like most of the entries on the list but there are some really notable misses

This is a weird post. Video games are pretty mainstream, and I would assume most of Pitchfork's writers are in the late 20s/30s age, a main demographic of video game players. They've made other articles on game music that are good.

https://pitchfork.com/thepitch/837-gamings-best-ambient-tracks/
https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/koji-kondo-the-legend-of-zelda-ocarina-of-time/
https://pitchfork.com/thepitch/1254-nintendo-64s-hidden-musical-gems/

This is just another example of people jumping the gun to shit on something because they don't agree with it or because, in this case, it's something by a publication like Pitchfork.

No Chrono Cross, no Nier, no Skies of Arcadia? Pitchfork and their staff have always been shit. Just more confirmation.

So if I make a favorite video game music thread and post my picks, none of which include any of those, I'm just shit then? So because my opinion doesn't align with yours, it's automatically shit? Get out.

Aftervirtue

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Can people read the link or the OP, or is that too hard? I swear, this fucking place sometimes. The way some of you are reacting, it's as if they're trying to frame this as a best of all time list or fact. This is what the article says... in case you missed it:

This is the staff's favorite video game music. Just because YOUR favorite soundtrack didn't make it, doesn't make it trash. It's a harmless article yet people in here are acting pretentious as hell... the very thing you're pointing the finger at Pitchfork for.

This is a weird post. Video games are pretty mainstream, and I would assume most of Pitchfork's writers are in the late 20s/30s age, a main demographic of video game players. They've made other articles on game music that are good.

https://pitchfork.com/thepitch/837-gamings-best-ambient-tracks/
https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/koji-kondo-the-legend-of-zelda-ocarina-of-time/
https://pitchfork.com/thepitch/1254-nintendo-64s-hidden-musical-gems/

This is just another example of people jumping the gun to shit on something because they don't agree with it or because, in this case, it's something by a publication like Pitchfork.

So if I make a favorite video game music thread and post my picks, none of which include any of those, I'm just shit then? So because my opinion doesn't align with yours, it's automatically shit? Get out.
No, I never do that, nor will I shit on any person posting an opinion on resetera, as we are not writing for a online publication with clout, getting people to listen to liscened music for Tony Hawk instead of all of the amazing game music that has been originally composed. Feel free to start a thread with your top picks.

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, I never do that, nor would I shit on just one person posting an opinion on resetera, as we are not writing for a online publication with clout, getting people to listen to liscened music for Tony Hawk instead of all of the amazing music originally composed.

Some people connect more with licensed music in games than originally composed music. There's nothing wrong with people having nostalgia for shit like Tony Hawk, SSX, Gran Turismo or even GTA over something like Nier, or the other soundtracks you posted. Musical choices aren't a right or wrong situation, it's subjective. So if someone chooses to listen one of those soundtracks to something like Xenoblade, which I adore, more power to them. That doesn't make their choice trash... poster on Era or writer for a music publication.

NewDayMarch

Nov 25, 2017
It's 12 soundtracks, impossible to please everybody.

What I look for in these is at least one recommendation to check out. I'll see what the deal is with Superbrothers on the Switch.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Mostly on point although I'm sad to see Nier Automata and Tropical Freeze get screwed over again 🤭

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
Decent list, with a few great choices there. Funnily enough, Eternal Sonata is the last JRPG I finished, since it's length is about how much I can tolerate that kind of gameplay.

On a related note, move over Nier fans, Eternal Sonata is quickly becoming the hipster JRPG game of choice now. Our time has arrived!

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
Getting mad at the list doesn't seem reasonable given that it's just a "twelve of our favorite game soundtracks."

It's definitely surprising to see a list that doesn't have Nier Automata or Hotline Miami.

I'll throw in Bully and Watch_Dogs 2 as underrated amazing game soundtracks though. Shawn Lee and Hudson Mohawke know what's good when it comes to music.

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
Without even looking at that spoiler, if Furi is not on that list I will join the Taylor Swift fans and grab a pitchfork (get it haha) to burn the website down.

Edit: Okay, time for some rioting. Tho I have to admit seeing Frédéric Chopin gave me a chuckle.
Edit edit: Oh wait, OP lied to me. It's not a "best" soundtrack list, it's their "favorite" soundtracks. I'm canceling the rioting, this is fine. Having bad taste is totally acceptable.

This is best video game soundtracks of the past 20 years...not the all-time greatest OST ever made...

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
Can people read the link or the OP, or is that too hard? I swear, this fucking place sometimes. The way some of you are reacting, it's as if they're trying to frame this as a best of all time list or fact.

To be fair to others, and before you try to burn people to the ground even further, the URL and title of the article in my browser tab does in actual fact claim to be the "12 best video game sound tracks of the last 20 years." I had a similar reaction to you at first, but it does outright state that on Pitchfork's website. I wonder if they originally intended to go with a "best soundtracks" article, realized their list was too wack, and tried to pull back to an "our favorites" list instead, without fully scrubbing the "best" claims entirely from the article.

Deleted member 49438

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
NBA Street Vol 2 is definitely one of the best videogame Soundtracks ever. This list is fine by me because they're wise enough to acknowledge that.

Real

Oct 28, 2017
NBA Street Volume 2 makes the list very worthwhile. Loading screens and T.R.O.Y. are some stark memories.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
completely spoiled by the amount of good OSTs that have released in the last decade+

Monster Hunter World and Iceborne's OST is godly, been listening to it a lot recently