Dai101

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't pay money to see kids movies. Looks like every other pixar movie to me.

Nice, didn't this place had a minimum age limit?

And yet we still don't know what it's about. Can you enlighten us?

Above all, this is a film about family and how much we care of them, even if they arent phisically with us anymore.
The Dia de Muertos (NOT Dia de los Muertos, as is usually writen) setting and the cultural aspect of it serve as a frame to represent those themes. Is a movie SO mexican in every aspect that i have nothing but the utmost respect for Pixar to portray it with such detail and love.

Ya'll should watch it.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
mstxn1c.png

Trained Rage

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Not watching Pixar movies because they're children's movies is like not reading The Hobbit because it's a children's book.
I never read the Hobbit so there ya go. Plus books don't equal films. I liked the Hobbit film. Wouldn't call it a kids movie. Nor would I let kids under like 12 watch it.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
It's al in Mexico and Latin America.

They've been pushing it a lot in Hispanic media in the U.S., but Disney knows it won't be a mainstream hit like Zootopia or even Inside Out. They're hoping they can get a big hit from Latinos and Hispanics in the U.S. and then slowly use WOM to pump it's numbers up until The Last Jedi comes out.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I never read the Hobbit so there ya go. Plus books don't equal films. I liked the Hobbit film. Wouldn't call it a kids movie. Nor would I let kids under like 12 watch it.

Apples / oranges. What I mean is that most Pixar movies straddle the adult and kid line far better than others. They're "meant" for kids in the same way that The Hobbit (book) is.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
I seen book of life last year and this seems very similar. I'm intrested for my local theaters $5 tuesday or if my moviepass card comes in the mail soon.

Oct 28, 2017
Nice, didn't this place had a minimum age limit?

Above all, this is a film about family and how much we care of them, even if they arent phisically with us anymore.
The Dia de Muertos (NOT Dia de los Muertos, as is usually writen) setting and the cultural aspect of it serve as a frame to represent those themes. Is a movie SO mexican in every aspect that i have nothing but the utmost respect for Pixar to portray it with such detail and love.

Ya'll should watch it.

Cool beans. I know they hired cultural consultants and spent years studying Mexican homes to have it be as authentic as possible. Disney also tried to trademark Dia de Muertos in a flub but apologized. They did similar extensive studies for Moana.

I'll watch it because it's Pixar but I'll give it the Redbox treatment. I think my next theater movie is going to be Star Wars and then probably nothing until may.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
You're officially racist if you don't go see COCO and The Black Panther. Them's the breaks.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Even if he did, if we avoided everything that a sexual harasser touched, we might as well become Amish, and enjoy churning butter instead of TV/film/music.
Hence why all these men need to be punished for how systemic and widespread sexual misconduct is. One of those ways is boycotting until John Lasseter is fired instead of just having a 6 month break and coming back.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's al in Mexico and Latin America.

They've been pushing it a lot in Hispanic media in the U.S., but Disney knows it won't be a mainstream hit like Zootopia or even Inside Out. They're hoping they can get a big hit from Latinos and Hispanics in the U.S. and then slowly use WOM to pump it's numbers up until The Last Jedi comes out.
Because it stars a brown Mexican kid called Miguel? I sure hope you're wrong because otherwise that'd be extremely depressing. Why can worldwide audiences watch an animated film about vikings but not Mexican día de muertos? This is a spectacular, if a bit predictable, movie that will wreck you to your core.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
yeah lets punish the whole company and people behind something just because one person did something bad.
That one person is the top dog of the whole company. Him being in power is how he was able to engage in sexual misconduct and get away with it. This isn't even punishment. He hasn't been fired, and I'd rather focus on punishment against perpetrators. I'd rather focus on the victims and support them.

We all understand animation/videogames/films/etc are a team effort but until perpetrator who is the person in charge is not, people as consumers should be free to avoid the product. Just respect others' decisions when it comes to these issues.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Because it stars a brown Mexican kid called Miguel? I sure hope you're wrong because otherwise that'd be extremely depressing. Why can worldwide audiences watch an animated film about vikings but not Mexican día de muertos? This is a spectacular, if a bit predictable, movie that will wreck you to your core.

This movies does Mexican culture justice and, sadly, will see less numbers because of it. Niche is niche, even when it's just a perceived niche.

That one person is the top dog of the whole company. Him being in power is how he was able to engage in sexual misconduct and get away with it. This isn't even punishment.

We all understand animation/videogames/films/etc are a team effort but until perpetrator who is the person in charge is not, people as consumers should be free to avoid the product.

I mean, you could easily flip this on your head and say "I want to support the people who are getting assaulted and have worked hard on this project, and not have them risk their livelihood to come forth with this news only to risk their livelihood even further by having people boycott it." What then?

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
none of the trailers have really grabbed me, the trademark thing left a bad taste in my mouth and pixar fandom chestthumping like this is always offputting:

This has little to do with Pixar's track record and more with their care with the culture for this particular movie. Same could be said about the Moana team.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
none of the trailers have really grabbed me, the trademark thing left a bad taste in my mouth and pixar fandom chestthumping like this is always offputting:

thats not pixar fandom for fucks sake, is a mexican loving how mexico and its culture was portrayed on a film

but whatever, you just want reasons to hate things bluegh

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Hence why all these men need to be punished for how systemic and widespread sexual misconduct is. One of those ways is boycotting until John Lasseter is fired instead of just having a 6 month break and coming back.

Boycotts always fail. Remember when people were going to boycott Chic-Fil-A? They apologized, promised to never donate to anti LGBT groups again, and their profits have never been higher.

Pandy

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Went to see Paddington 2 in the UK yesterday, no adverts for Coco beforehand. There was one poster of Coco in the lobby, but it was so non-descript I'd have missed it altogether if I hadn't already seen the name in the Box Office threads.

Being sent out to die, marketing wise.

Boycotts always fail. Remember when people were going to boycott Chic-Fil-A? They apologized, promised to never donate to anti LGBT groups again, and their profits have never been higher.
But... did they ever donate to anti- LGBT groups again?
I ask because, if they didn't, you just gave an example of a boycott that worked.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
This has little to do with Pixar's track record and more with their care with the culture for this particular movie. Same could be said about the Moana team.
referring to a a film with a mexican director that had a tough time getting made due its subject matter as "taco bell" is lame as hell no matter how you slice and dice it. some of yall have no optics beyond "how do i win at forum posting??"

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I mean, you could easily flip this on your head and say "I want to support the people who are getting assaulted and have worked hard on this project, and not have them risk their livelihood to come forth with this news only to risk their livelihood even further by having people boycott it." What then?
Pixar is not going to disappear if John Lasseter is gone. If enough people boycott Pixar to the point where it's financially affecting the company, then the toxic elements will have to be kicked out to regain the trust back. There's not much else consumers can do other than vote with their wallet.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
referring to a a film with a mexican director that had a tough time getting made due its subject matter as "taco bell" is lame as hell no matter how you slice and dice it. some of yall have no optics beyond "how do i win at forum posting??"

I didn't make that comment, nor would I, and I stand by my statement.

For someone so concerned about people trying to win an argument, you sure like to stoke the fire.

Pixar is not going to disappear if John Lasseter is gone. If enough people boycott Pixar to the point where it's financially affecting the company, then the toxic elements will have to be kicked out to regain the trust back. There's not much else consumers can do other than vote with their wallet.

I'd wager his leave of absence is a stealth fire or at least the first step down that direction. If not, I'll be disappointed.

Deleted member 2426

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Woo I wonder if the pro boycott people will also boycott Star Wars or if they would have boycotted Thor. I mean Pixar and Disney are the same company anyway.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio

This is a Disney/Pixar movie. A billion people could decide to boycott this movie and two billion others will still go see it and make them trillions.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I didn't make that comment, nor would I, and I stand by my statement.

For someone so concerned about people trying to win an argument, you sure like to stoke the fire.
look i was clarifying why i made my post in the first place. since you didnt make the comment, nor would you, why would you think the second sentence pertains to you at all? sorry i called out what i thought was a really lame offputting way to prop up a movie??

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
look i was clarifying why i made my post in the first place. since you didnt make the comment, nor would you, why would you think the second sentence pertains to you at all? sorry i called out what i thought was a really lame offputting way to prop up a movie??

One movie does Mexican culture better in that person's opinion (which is mine as well, and will likely be popular opinion when this releases). Obviously a person's statement that includes Taco Bell is going to be hyperbole, why bother getting upset at it if you know the underlying of what they were trying to say?

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017

It's not so much about the color of his skin, but one reason Mexicans enjoyed the hell out of the movie is that it shows Mexican culture and traditions in a positive way that's rarely shown in such high quality animation. And the music is incredible in Spanish and for Mexicans. But the story itself is kind of predictable, and if you're not Mexican or Hispanic, it might not have a huge appeal to worldwide audiences.

Emphasis on the word might because some American reviewers have said they too were moved by the final act, like all of Mexico has been meming about since the movie premiered over here. That might sell it to most audiences outside of Mexico.

Of course, there have been foreign culture-centric movies that have been big hits in the U.S., from Kung Fu Panda to the Lion King and others, but I don't think Coco's story or writing is on par with those. It's ok, but what really makes it worthwhile is its music, visuals, ending and uniqueness in style, as well as being a (mostly) faithful representation of Mexico, or at least, the idyllic Mexico.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
One movie does Mexican culture better in that person's opinion (which is mine as well, and will likely opinion when this releases). Obviously a person's statement that includes Taco Bell is going to be hyperbole, why bother getting upset at it if you know the underlying of what they were trying to say?
dude the reason its offputting is not because its "hyperbole". i dont know if you're legitimately not getting it or if youre willfully doing so, but if you dont understand why i find it a really crude statement to make lets drop this so we dont have keep talking past each other in circles.

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hope racism has nothing to do with the lack of hype, but i wouldn't be surprised in this current climate.

Also... bring your eye towels.