riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Doesn't summer break start first week of June in most of the US? This came out June 16 which I would guess most kids are already out.
It's pretty all over the place from what I've ever heard living here.

But either way, it makes sense a kids movie would just be fairly steady in the summer and could rule the weekdays.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This movie was honestly low-rung Pixar fare, enjoyable in that cutesy childish way, but still squarely on its way to forgettable-town. Some pretty fire and water effects at least.

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now
Again I don't know why people are trying to make this a thing it's great in terms of the trash fire that was Flash but that's really not hard to do.

Frankly I enjoyed my time with Asteroid City much more even though that was a frou frou quirky Hollywood movie yet again. With ALL THE STARS

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Have no plans with me and my gf off and we plan on heading downtown, was legit thinking of just seeing Elementals with her later today. The past 2 weeks we've seen Flash, Spider-Verse and the Blackening so just missing out on this.

Vinx

Sep 9, 2019
Is that Tweet saying Elemental is #1 at the Box Office based solely on Tuesday?

So, it had a good Tuesday and suddenly everyone likes the movie now and its #1 at the Box Office.

I guess marketing really is all about framing.

kowhite

May 14, 2019

So, it had a good Tuesday and suddenly everyone likes the movie now and its #1 at the Box Office.

I mean, you sell your movie based on the wins you have. That being said the film is showing good legs, even though it opened so low it's still gonna end in a less than great place. But hey domestic, it might outgross Lightyear, despite opening over $20M less.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Have no plans with me and my gf off and we plan on heading downtown, was legit thinking of just seeing Elementals with her later today. The past 2 weeks we've seen Flash, Spider-Verse and the Blackening so just missing out on this.
I think it's a very good date movie. Loved seeing it with my boyfriend.

Whitemex

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
If the Marvel movies are anything to go by, I wouldn't expect this movie to hit D+ until sometime in September. They changed their strategy to max Box Office and Digital sales before putting on D+

Deleted member 13330

User-requested account closure
Banned
Mar 14, 2023

This sort of trajectory is very unusual for a movie, and really does show positive WOM.

Elemental is still going to be a huge disappointment box-office wise, but it might now avoid "megabomb" status.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
I mean it was fine. Like, yes, the broad strokes aren't as passe as initial marketing made it out to be, but that doesn't mean that the actual story is amazing or anything. Still definitely lower rung of their catalog, and incredibly boring to look at.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I would've gone to watch it but only dubbed screenings have been available since it premiered here, so that's a no go. It's honestly weird how post-covid I see lot more dubbed screenings... before covid you'd get a considerable numbers of original language screenings here at different theaters, now it's probably sub screenings at a few and mostly during first and second week, after that you're SOL.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
can someone explain the clod jokes
He's a character that appears for like 3 minutes total in the movie yet the marketing acted like he's a major funny part of the movie including that weirdly bizarre fake cam rip posted by Pixar on Twitter where they pretended people went crazy for him.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
He's a character that appears for like 3 minutes total in the movie yet the marketing acted like he's a major funny part of the movie including that weirdly bizarre fake cam rip posted by Pixar on Twitter where they pretended people went crazy for him.
Oh. I must've missed most of that. I was confused because I saw the film and the trailers and didn't realize it seemed like they were marketing around him. He is indeed a non-character. They really botched getting the word out about this film starting with closing Cannes with it.
"It's Clodberin' Time!!"
lol

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
I think it's a very good date movie. Loved seeing it with my boyfriend.
In our seat watching the credits, thought the movie was awesome. You were right, perfect date movie.

There was a moment during the move where I told her she's definitely Wade and I'm Ember(minus the issues) and she laughed cuz she was thinking the exact same thing.

Shig

Oct 30, 2017
I wouldn't say this was marketed poorly, so much as it was conceptualized poorly. It's a rom-com for kids. Are kids interested in rom-coms?

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
I'll probably catch this when it makes its way to Disney+ but it's good to hear that the film isn't as bad as the initial buzz was.

This post has a lot of Heart.

captainplanet_thumb2.jpg

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
I saw the movie over the weekend and I thought it was nicely done. The main characters were pretty likeable I felt, didn't really ever feel bored by the movie either.

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
Looks Disney+ as fuck to me. Also with Spiderman right there I think I'd rather rewatch Spiderman.

Apr 6, 2022
Good first step for dinner returning to the box office. they just have to keep TLM and this off of streaming for a loooooong time. They messed up bad by pushing streaming (well every studio did tbh)

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Happy to hear it, always love seeing the success of animated features.

Side note, this is one crispy ass jpeg.
FzuQdRzXsAIZ3PF

Is this the product of Twitter's compression algo or CinemaScore's marketing team? Abhorrent either way.

…The position of Wade's bag strap in correlation to the climaxing earth guy on the left isn't doing this compressed picture any favors.

Adorable movie otherwise.

Oct 25, 2017
Wondering if we can take my 4 year old to see this...? We tend to find that PG movies are a bit too much for her (scary bits, characters being very mean and threatening) but after seeing Mario with her (which was perfect tonally etc for her demo) she's really wanted to see another movie in theaters and we promised her "one more in the summer". So few good candidates for small kids, though

Elemental Movie Review

Heartfelt, romantic fable about immigrant experience. Read Common Sense Media's Elemental review, age rating, and parents guide.

This site is pretty good from what I've seen. Recommends 6+ and I should probably just trust it.

…The position of Wade's bag strap in correlation to the climaxing earth guy on the left isn't doing this compressed picture any favors.

Adorable movie otherwise.
I saw that immediately

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's going to have legs for a bit since kids are out of school and this is really the only kid-friendly animated film out other than Spider-Verse. In fact, there's not really a kids film coming out until that Ruby Kraken movie and the new TMNT film in August. It could have a decent run.

Last edited:

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
We just got back from seeing this. It was fantastic. Not my favorite Pixar film but it's very solid; up there with Inside/Out or Toy Story 2.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad it's getting some good traction. Disney needs to dump whoever handled the marketing for this film lol

Ramsiege

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Glad it has some legs. Really surprised how much I enjoyed it.

And to all of you saying you'll wait for Disney+, i don't want to see y'all in the Toy Story 5 threads complaining about sequels.

G Status Ray

Oct 31, 2017
I absolutely adored this movie. It's not perfect but it has so much going for it. I've heard from people who immigrated to America that it captures the experience really well.

I liked it more than Across the Spider-verse. *shudders in fear*