OP
OP

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
So if it's tiled based i guess it will be pretty limited graphically right ? Fixed resolution ? I mean in rpg maker you can use a background map and collision on top of it after all so who knows. You can also hack the resolution with plugins
I dont know anything for certain on how this one works. I do know that it takes plugins though so if it isn't in it initially you can make plugins or try to download one to get what you want just like the RPG Maker series. Whether its tilesets or has more options though we have to wait for more details.

INPAQ

Oct 27, 2017
IGN Japan had the opportunity to interview the team behind Action/Pixel Game Maker MV during their livestream of BitSummit. The interview is all in Japanese, but it shows off a solid amount of gameplay and development footage from the Action/Pixel Game Maker Engine (which looks decent). From what was shown, the development UI looks a bit convoluted, but it also seems pretty versatile as well. Also, the animation shown in their game demo seemed pretty fluid (beyond my expectations). You can check out the direct footage of Action/Pixel Game Maker MV within the IGN Japan livestream below

https://youtu.be/LS-eywgxNnw?t=41m2s

Also, if anyone fluent in Japanese here could translate some of the highlights within the interview, that would be awesome.

Last edited:

HP_Wuvcraft

Oct 26, 2017
South of San Francisco
IGN Japan had the opportunity to interview the team behind Action/Pixel Game Maker MV during their livestream of BitSummit. The interview is all in Japanese, but it shows off a solid amount of gameplay and development footage from the Action/Pixel Game Maker Engine (which looks decent). From what was shown, the the development UI looks a bit convoluted, but it's also seems pretty versatile as well. Also, the the animation shown in their game demo seemed pretty fluid (beyond my expectations). You can check out the direct footage of Action/Pixel Game Maker MV within the IGN Japan livestream below

https://youtu.be/LS-eywgxNnw
(the Action Game Maker MV Interview starts
around the 50 minute mark)

Also, if anyone fluent in Japanese here could translate some of the highlights within the interview, that would be awesome.
Wow, that UI is.... super convoluted. It's literally just copy-paste RPG Maker.

KnightimeX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if the metroidvania style allows for rpg elements like Castlevania symphony of the night.
if so, i'll go broke investing in this.
would buy EVERYTHING!!!!!!!

INPAQ

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if the metroidvania style allows for rpg elements like Castlevania symphony of the night.

The game demo shown by Action Game Maker MV team during their IGN Japan interview, seemed to have a few similarities to Castlevania/Metroid (with a hint of MegaMan). I wouldn't be shocked if you could add LVL Up elements to these type of games as well, since the development team has so much experience with the RPG Maker series.

INPAQ

Oct 27, 2017
A few more PGM updates from BitSummit

4Gamer - PGM Interview
http://www.4gamer.net/games/418/G041884/20180514041/

- 4Gamer questions the development team on creating a fighting game with PGM engine
- The team responds that it is possible to develop a fighting game with PGM, but it would be very difficult

Nedon Ch - PGM Gameplay Footage
https://youtu.be/bNM2yGcU3us?t=2m57s

- Shows off some gameplay footage of the Motorcycle and Pinball demos within Pixel Game Maker
- You can get a glimpse of how physics will work within the PGM development software

Last edited:

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Looks good, although I'm comfortable with RPG Maker's UI so that's no surprise. Should be really easy to make maps/levels quickly if you've got the assets, although you still need good level design to match (see: Mario Maker).

Physics look more advanced than I expected, assuming that's all in-engine and not plugin stuff.

Deleted member 3465

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Space
This looks really great! Can't wait to hear more impressions. I hope it's also available on Mac like RPG Maker MV is!

Yeah I really hope this allows for many rpg elements without too much hassle.

INPAQ

Oct 27, 2017
Looks good, although I'm comfortable with RPG Maker's UI so that's no surprise. Should be really easy to make maps/levels quickly if you've got the assets, although you still need good level design to match (see: Mario Maker).

Physics look more advanced than I expected, assuming that's all in-engine and not plugin stuff.

The physics showcased in the PMG game demos seem to be all in-engine. Although I'm really excited to see what plugins will be added to game, to further expand on its capabilities.

Deleted member 4372

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Very cool, I've always wanted to buy a program like this and play around w making my own action game. What's the word, Era, is this the go-to suite for a first-time game maker w no programming knowledge?

OP
OP

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Soooo, it's been a few significant updates surrounding the development/release of Pixel Game Maker MV.

Official Steam Early Access Page + Trailer
https://store.steampowered.com/app/837510/

New Direct Gameplay Footage

Cross X Carrot (4 Player Smash-Type Game)
https://youtu.be/4ITFbfo1qtw

Witch & 66 Mushrooms (2D Metroidvania)
https://youtu.be/TwBROcEN3kI

PinPin BallBall (Pinball Game)
https://youtu.be/ITHCp5u5eOM
Great job spotting this! These look pretty good too. Very smooth combat and platforming and the screen transitioning looks solid too. Definitely has some good physics for us to play with from what I'm seeing. I'm eager for this one to hit. I really wanna use it.

Hoot

Nov 12, 2017
This is gonna be super neat, as an entry level engine. Especially for younger students.

As a teach, I'm always happy when I can get more accessible tools. Stuff like gamemaker or clickteam fusion are nice but do require some patience. This might break down more barriers

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Soooo, it's been a few significant updates surrounding the development/release of Pixel Game Maker MV.

Official Steam Early Access Page + Trailer
https://store.steampowered.com/app/837510/

New Direct Gameplay Footage

Cross X Carrot (4 Player Smash-Type Game)
https://youtu.be/4ITFbfo1qtw

Witch & 66 Mushrooms (2D Metroidvania)
https://youtu.be/TwBROcEN3kI

PinPin BallBall (Pinball Game)
https://youtu.be/ITHCp5u5eOM

Holy shit people are making Pinball with this? That rules.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Holy shit people are making Pinball with this? That rules.

If the pinball like physics can be applied to characters that might mean someone could make a decent Sonic clone with this.

Although I have a preference more for action based platformers.

Looking at the Cross X Carrot shows that jump & shoot mechanics also are present so that is good for stuff like Mega Man. Also the Metroidvania concept gives me great hope for a personal project I want to give a crack at.

Of course ultimately like how their are ton of RPG Maker games on Steam, this new tool will likely give rise to Action Game games. So expect a ton of Castlevania derivatives.

As for me. I want to try my hands on something similar to that of Contra or Metal Slug.

Miles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego, CA
I need to finish my RPG project before this releases, I have a crazy cool idea for a platformer that I would love to try to make with this!

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
This could potentially be easier for me if it requires less math than RPG Maker.

I do alright with RPG Maker until it comes time to actually think of balancing weapons, armors, battles, leveling, etc. Then my brain catches on fire and I always end up walking away from it.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
My dream game probably still can't be created yet.

It was a military based game in which typical battles of enemies are done in a turn based strategy style (think Shining Force II or Fire Emblem) however raiding an enemy fortresses the gameplay shifts into specially themed action platformer levels in the vein of Contra / Metal Slug. However you don't get power ups like in those games your entire weapon load out is entirely dependant on the unit you send. So Shock Troops may only carry shotguns which are close-range high power. Scouts may only have a Handgun and consumable grenades. Snipers will have a powerful long range shot attack but a weak dagger for close encounters. Basically depending on the theme of the base the units you send may be at advantage or disadvantage depending the layout of the level and placement of enemies on your way to the boss to take over their base.

SweetSark

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
I would be very interested to see a head on comparison with the other platformer maker.
The other one is Super Retro Maker.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Adds to Wishlist

Hm, I got some simple little game ideas that I wouldn't mind to prototype out. I can probably do some basic sprite art myself, too. Do these tools come with sound libraries and such? I'll at least imagine I'll have to get music from elsewhere if anything gets to a point where I'd want to do something with it. But sounds for swords and fire and generic footstep sounds and all those very basic ones would be great to have, even if it'd mean a lot of games are going to sound similar. A sci-fi laser can only go pew-pew in so many ways.

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
Adds to Wishlist

Hm, I got some simple little game ideas that I wouldn't mind to prototype out. I can probably do some basic sprite art myself, too. Do these tools come with sound libraries and such? I'll at least imagine I'll have to get music from elsewhere if anything gets to a point where I'd want to do something with it. But sounds for swords and fire and generic footstep sounds and all those very basic ones would be great to have, even if it'd mean a lot of games are going to sound similar. A sci-fi laser can only go pew-pew in so many ways.
If it's anything like RPG Maker, there should be a decent sized sound/graphics library that comes with it.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Just when I get the urge to make a game I've wanted to make for years.

Wonder how easy a top down game with falling platforms would be?

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
If it's anything like RPG Maker, there should be a decent sized sound/graphics library that comes with it.
Excellent! And I'm sure there'll be a ton of DLC packs if I remember RPG Maker right...

I think I'll get this when it comes out. Honestly, the content pack(s) is what appeals to me most. I can code a bit, but I cannot make sounds. Or music. That's really going to be the sticking point eventually.

Feral

Oct 25, 2017
Your Mom
I'm split between wanting to start something with Action Game Maker and UE, and I'm kinda getting impatient waiting for the release of AGM. I'd like to find out how easy-to-use and efficient the visual programming tools in AGM are compared to UE

e: Pixel Game Maker MV now

Last edited:

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
It's out on Steam as Early Access with 20% discount.

Edit: You can also download the motorcycle sample game, and a benchmark game.

Last edited:

INPAQ

Oct 27, 2017
Since Pixel Game Maker MV is officially out now, is anyone planning on creating a official Reset Era thread for the title? It would be dope to have a space here, where we can share ideas and game development progress using the PGM engine.