Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Gita Jackson was also one the people that were dog piling on ND (specifically Neil Druckmann) during the TLOU2 shit storm.
rt98NDy.png
I mean, Ok?...

The post earlier was the first I had ever heard of Gita before so I have absolutely no knowledge or bias for them.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I didn't consider that it's only been up for a couple of days. And at this point, if hbomb puts something up, my wife and I tend to watch it immediately. I would think there's pretty sizable overlap between hbomb and some of the targets though.
Its still a pretty big chunk that the channel has lost so far and the video was dropped over the weekend. I would be surprised if doesnt increase to 100k with everybody back to work and talking with coworkers and friends. I also expect some of the usual YT reactors to react to HB's video as well during this week.

Badb

Feb 14, 2023
Not everyone watches Hbomb or partake with the current goings of social media drama. But loosing that many subs in a few days will definetly make the algorithm take notice.

Today I'm noticing a lot of people in creative spaces I follow (mostly comics) opting to watch their first hbomberguy video even with the daunting run time. Word is getting around.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Can someone explain to me what Stephanie Sterling actually did wrong? I may have missed something and I'm entirely willing to own up to that if I did, but from what I can tell they didn't just use the Kotaku article as their script like the examples in the hbomberguy video do. It's very clearly in Sterling's own voice, they just got the news itself from Kotaku, which they clearly credit in the video. They say "according to kotaku" and show the article with Gita's name displayed. That's how showing your sources is supposed to work, right? What am I missing?

Polk

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
What.

Like, what the fuck is the analogy he's going for here? Even in the most generous reading, he's equating being in the closet with the forced slavery and mind control of an entire community.
I have suspission he didn't see single episode of Wandavision just like he never seen all those movies he was talking about.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain to me what Stephanie Sterling actually did wrong? I may have missed something and I'm entirely willing to own up to that if I did, but from what I can tell they didn't just use the Kotaku article as their script like the examples in the hbomberguy video do. It's very clearly in Sterling's own voice, they just got the news itself from Kotaku, which they clearly credit in the video. They say "according to kotaku" and show the article with Gita's name displayed. That's how showing your sources is supposed to work, right? What am I missing?
The implication was that Steph largely just based their video on Gita's article but then only framed it as just quoting it for the one specific part, and even then the citation was the barest of effort with them just showing the article and saying Kotaku, but never mentioning Gita by name and providing the actual link, all of which should be standard but is something that Steph apparently is habitually not great about.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
Finally watched through both.

Not much to add over their comments. The look and sound of pain they both showed by the end. The story has only winner at the cost of so many people, and that guy was the first to flee when the info was dropped. What a horrible man.

That isn't a heavy enough word for him. Hope it catches up with him sooner than later. He deserved to be sued into the underground.

Corncob

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Surely some of these victims are working out how to sue his ass? He made so much money off of their hard work.

Ashes of Dreams

May 22, 2020
The implication was that Steph largely just based their video on Gita's article but then only framed it as just quoting it for the one specific part, and even then the citation was the barest of effort with them just showing the article and saying Kotaku, but never mentioning Gita by name and providing the actual link, all of which should be standard but is something that Steph apparently is habitually not great about.
That implication is one I would call false, then. And this thread suddenly jumping into "oh I always knew she was bad, look at that joke outfit she used to wear that she has directly explained WHY she stopped wearing" style commentary is kinda gross. All anyone needs to do is read the article in question and then watch the video:
kotaku.com

NBA 2K18 Is Riddled With Microtransactions

The latest game in the NBA 2K series is frustrating to play if you don’t want to spend any additional money on top of the $60 you have to shell out to get the game.
www.youtube.com

NBA 2K18 Pulls A Microtransaction Slam Dunk

Source Article: https://kotaku.com/nba-2k18-is-riddled-with-microtransactions-1818554307NOTE: The link to the source article has been edited into the descrip...

The article is Gita detailing their personal experience with the microtransactions. Stephanie's video is mostly just using this as an example to complain about the larger issue of the practice and the company. It spends awhile comparing it to mobile games, it spends awhile going over Steam reviews to argue that fans are not happy with the situation, etc. None of that stuff is from Gita's article. The only thing Stephanie uses from the article is the anecdote about how little the free currency they give gets you and while that's happening the article is displayed on screen with Gita's name displayed clearly.

I don't regularly follow either of these creators anymore so it's possible I missed something but based on just this I think it's an inappropriate comparison to the stuff hbomberguy was talking about, you know?

Oct 8, 2019
Given how he compares "coming out" with "enslaving a bunch of people, robbing them of their very identity and free will for months", it also comes off as unintentionally homophobic, if you overthink what he is actually equating here.

This is the same guy who gave us "The SS was teeming with homosexuals, to the point people knew they could get out of crimes by blowing the SS officer".

Astrogamer

Oct 25, 2017
Gita Jackson was also one the people that were dog piling on ND (specifically Neil Druckmann) during the TLOU2 shit storm.
They got death threats but, I'm pretty sure this was related to overly dramatic comparison of TLOU2 to Schindler's List and Druckmann defending the guy who made it despite that being accidental antisemitism and getting upset at game journalists pointing it out in a joking manner of comparisons.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
I don't regularly follow either of these creators anymore so it's possible I missed something but based on just this I think it's an inappropriate comparison to the stuff hbomberguy was talking about, you know?
I mean

At the end of the day, improper citation is an issue of plagiarism, and plagiarism and improperly citing the people that you are taking stuff from is the topic of Hbomberguy's video. Gita felt that Steph improperly used their work without proper citation. Steph clearly copped to it given they went back and added the citation in, albeit with frustrations at how it was approached. Gita openly said that this is a frequent problem Steph has but that they didn't feel comfortable with publicly speaking out against someone who is held up as an important critic...which is also incredibly relevant to the topic of this thread.

Quite frankly, this really helps to provide context as to how Somerton was able to get away with what he was until someone who was big enough came along to say something.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I mean

At the end of the day, improper citation is an issue of plagiarism, and plagiarism and improperly citing the people that you are taking stuff from is the topic of Hbomberguy's video. Gita felt that Steph improperly used their work without proper citation. Steph clearly copped to it given they went back and added the citation in, albeit with frustrations at how it was approached. Gita openly said that this is a frequent problem Steph has but that they didn't feel comfortable with publicly speaking out against someone who is held up as an important critic...which is also incredibly relevant to the topic of this thread.

Quite frankly, this really helps to provide context as to how Somerton was able to get away with what he was until someone who was big enough came along to say something.

Especially when the person you want to speak out against has a parasocial cult of personality that WILL go to war for them and accuse you of being in the wrong for speaking up.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I mean

I think with how hated Steph is among... certain groups... if plagiarism in their work was more wide spread it would have been full exposed by now. If ultimately that one example is all anyone can find it probably was a genuine mistake. It's still bad and Steph probably deserved more criticism then they got, but it's many tiers below when people like James or Illumanghtii did.

Gespenst MKIV

Nov 1, 2017

Ashes of Dreams

May 22, 2020
I mean

... Gita WAS credited though. In the few moments where the video uses information provided by the article, the article is clearly displayed on screen with Gita's name displayed, while Stephanie says "according to Kotaku". Sure, it could also have been linked in the video description as well but to compare that to just copy and pasting entire paragraphs and presenting them as your own writing without mentioning where it's from at all is such an extreme stretch I would say it's defamation. Like did you watch the video? It's nothing like the article other than being about the same topic.

I guess what I'm asking is if anyone has any examples of where she supposedly has repeatedly done plagiarism or who else in the industry supports this supposed bad reputation for doing this. Because I see a lot of people just accepting the tweet calling her out and using it as an excuse to rant about how they never liked her and knew something like this had to be true despite there being any real evidence.

Especially when the person you want to speak out against has a parasocial cult of personality that WILL go to war for them and accuse you of being in the wrong for speaking up.
Literally every creator of note has that fanbase though? People who are fans of Gita's work clearly did the same thing to Stephanie. Not to mention that Stephanie has just as large of a group that hates her as she does a fanbase.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Literally every creator of note has that fanbase though? People who are fans of Gita's work clearly did the same thing to Stephanie. Not to mention that Stephanie has just as large of a group that hates her as she does a fanbase.

My point is mostly that trying to fire a cannonball shot against a significantly larger content creator is a gigantic risk that usually won't pay off...unless someone bigger than your target fires the first shot at them. The content creator with the larger fanbase usually winds up beating down the smaller one.

Gespenst MKIV

Nov 1, 2017
I think with how hated Steph is among... certain groups... if plagiarism in their work was more wide spread it would have been full exposed by now. If ultimately that one example is all anyone can find it probably was a genuine mistake. It's still bad and Steph probably deserved more criticism then they got, but it's many tiers below when people like James or Illumanghtii did.
Yeah it's not something like what Sommerton and Iluminaughtii did but Steph should definitely address it and they handled it poorly, as I said in their OT it should not be up to the victim (be it intentional or not in this case) of the plagiarism to have to contact the one doing the plagiarism to get things fixed.
They self admitted that it somethings that happens to them, so they should be very diligent avoid doing it again

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
At least we know this is original work! Or at least, I don't think anyone has ever put forward such a stupid analysis of Anthy nor has any Utena analysis ever focused so much on Akio before.

Haha fucking yikes!
It's like when you watch Star Wars vs the prequels and realize what George contributed and what others contributed and you're like "oh"

SimonChris

Oct 27, 2017
The article is Gita detailing their personal experience with the microtransactions. Stephanie's video is mostly just using this as an example to complain about the larger issue of the practice and the company. It spends awhile comparing it to mobile games, it spends awhile going over Steam reviews to argue that fans are not happy with the situation, etc. None of that stuff is from Gita's article. The only thing Stephanie uses from the article is the anecdote about how little the free currency they give gets you and while that's happening the article is displayed on screen with Gita's name displayed clearly.

Most of the pictures in the video are taken from the article with no attribution.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
rt98NDy.png

I gotta say, I hate this kind of 'gotcha'. Gita could be a terrible piece of shit but what does it have to do with her accusation? Since she went at ND her accusation is no longer valid? The youtube drama 'guilty by association to an unrelated event' is not how it works in the real world.

I will also say Gita vs Sterling is also a thread derail considering what we are dealing with.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
They got death threats but, I'm pretty sure this was related to overly dramatic comparison of TLOU2 to Schindler's List and Druckmann defending the guy who made it despite that being accidental antisemitism and getting upset at game journalists pointing it out in a joking manner of comparisons.

It wasn't related to that. A Kotaku writer wrote either an article or tweet wondering if there would be Part II DLC where Ellie kills her creators. Neil responded with that quoted tweet. From what I remember the writer agreed with him.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
I mean

Steph does not shut down conversations or lie about receiving death threats when called out. Instead, they openly acknowledge their mistakes and avoid doing them again.

Yeah, it's not great that some people have this problem. Steph and Hbomberguy condemn this behavior but have no control over it. And I think they mean what they say regarding this, and not in a "hehe, i'm only telling you this so i don't get banned. winkwink" way.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
OK, stop me if I sound stupid because I'm a straight man and this obviously isn't my place to act as an arbiter but the segment in Todd's video where he goes over James saying "All the cool gays died of aids in the 80s, the ones who survived were losers" made me want to rip my hair out. Imagine looking at a community recovering from an epidemic where many lost best friends and lovers, and going "If you were cool you'd be dead too 😎, bet you your art sucks also"

I get it's not originally his words but he seems to agree with it. Why does having AIDs mean you were a "Good Gay"? Why does not having sex or not having loads of unprotected sex make you a "Bad Gay"? He's looking down on some gay men as not gay enough. It's quite literally Gay Gatekeeping

Rant over

From what I understand it wasn't even a serious statement when she did it she was just talking shit

So for James to say it for real is just extra horrendous

Don't derail the thread to be about people not connected to the video.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Stop the derail concerning people who are not tied to this video (James Stephanie Sterling, Neil Druckmann etc.), since that just takes the discussion away from this video.

If there ends up being found more substantial evidence of Sterling doing plagiarism, that can become its own thread.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Stop the derail concerning people who are not tied to this video (James Stephanie Sterling, Neil Druckmann etc.), since that just takes the discussion away from this video.

If there ends up being found more substantial evidence of Sterling doing plagiarism, that can become its own thread.
My apologies!

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I'm not familiar with Illuminaughti or James Somerton, but, watching this video, one thing that stands out to me is that.. They're not even really that good at speaking.

It sucks that James Rolfe just started reading dreck other people "wrote", but even clearly checked-out, he's still somewhat engaging. The other two, if you remove the idea that they're actually doing any research or doing their own thinking, there's absolutely nothing there.

It's funny because watching this video I had the same thought about Rolfes work. I enjoyed some
of his early AVGN stuff when he was clearly passionate and into it but his reviews were so incredibly boring. I honestly can't understand how people still tuned into him a videos.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Its because for many AVGN was one of the first internet personalities and there's that nostalgia factor

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny because watching this video I had the same thought about Rolfes work. I enjoyed some
of his early AVGN stuff when he was clearly passionate and into it but his reviews were so incredibly boring. I honestly can't understand how people still tuned into him a videos.

The thing about Rolfe that always sticks out to me is that his content kinda stopped growing shortly after he left ScrewAttack. Once he became fully independent, his videos stopped having the same level of inventiveness that his early days did. It just kinda feels like he found a formula that worked, and then something about AVGN The Movie killed the joy of making Nerd videos for him. It came back temporarily when he made Board James, which felt like the one single time he was TRULY enjoying himself making AVGN-adjacent content, and then Board James ended and that was that.

But he has a family to support, and this is basically what he decided to do for a living. So he's stuck continuing to run that formula over and over again despite the passion being completely gone, and with less and less time in his life (due to real, understandable family commitments) to invest in finding ways to spice it up.

I also think that the mid-2000s "angry youtube reviewer" conceit just kinda...burned up at some point over the past decade, but James was isolated enough from the death of Channel Awesome and its "style" that he wasn't caught up in that collapse the way virtually everyone else was.

He just kept running the formula. He's still running the formula. The only thing that changed is who's writing the jokes. First it was him, then it was Matei, then it was Screenwave, and that's what resulted in him being included in Harris' video. Who knows what's next.

Lady Emily's video on the AVGN controversy is a fantastic deep dive, if any of you care.

Last edited:

mantidor

Oct 25, 2017
I watched many of Somerton's videos and there was something just off about them. He sounded so pretentious, but it wasn't just that, his videos went nowhere and had no real conclusions or analysis. They seemed so disjointed, like many articles plastered together, which now makes a lot of sense lol I always thought he was putting more effort in the credits than in the actual content of the videos, and it turns out the credits were not even original, they were bought! my god I can only laugh.

So, this is particularly bad in context that a few months ago Somerton had put a short video up where he was on the verge of tears. He said he wasn't making enough money from this to support himself and would likely have to quit if he couldn't get more patreon subs.

Oh you are selling it short. The thumbnail was a literal "THIS IS THE END" in all caps. It was such a wild video, I immediately smelled a scammer. It was all the more damning when the video was deleted and he continue posting new content, with no update whatsoever about the situation. The way he talked about it really tug the heartstrings of people, I remember reading the comments and many fans mentioning they just had made a Patreon donation to help, how awful.

I think part of it is such detailed dives into history of queerness in arts, cinema, and entertainment are the kind of stuff a lot of LGBTQ people are really looking for because there still isn't a lot of it being packaged and presented for a modern audience. There is real hunger for the subject. That he was stealing from well-written pieces helped make him look serious as a scholar.

This hits it right in the head, as a queer person you are just thirsty for material, the hunger is absolutely real, even in this day and age. As a gay guy anything remotely queer gets a view from me when I surf Youtube, just out of principle. I watched the Celluloid Closet ages ago when anything remotely queer was very rare and I loved it. The documentary does address this, how we hunger for this representation. When Somerton did his video the plagiarism was so obvious, but I thought nothing of it at the time, because it had been a while since I saw the original, which is based on a book, so I naively thought Somerton just read the book! lol

I'm glad HBomber recommended Matt Baume and Khadija Mbowe, they are delightful.

I don't get why somerton was so confident he'd only plagiarized "by mistake" once when like everything he ever did was stolen. lol so weird.

This goes back to Tallarico as well (from the previous HBomber video). These scammers/con artists/etc are basically pathological liars, narcisists if you will. As Hbomber said they see nothing wrong in what they are doing, the creators they are taking credit from are just beneath them.