May 24, 2019
Question for ya'll. Not strictly Gundam-related, but I recently built a Figure-rise model of Exodia from Yu-Gi-Oh! and I'm looking for one of those super-fine tip markers to color in the pattern sculpted into the plastic. Is there a particularly good marker anyone would recommend for that purpose?

Just get Fine Tip Gundam Markers.

View: https://youtu.be/Di-MvbxpOl0

I use flow type paint with Tamiya Accent Colour, which travels up lines for you. It's super sharp and clean, but you do have to be careful to make sure it doesn't get trapped between pieces and crack the plastic (mostly avoided by doing the lining pre-building).

Jan 20, 2023
whats the fighter nose?

www.goodsmile.info

PLAMAX MF-56: minimum factory Fighter Nose Collection VF-31J (Hayate Immelman's Fighter)

Presenting a collection of the nose sections of Valkyrie Fighters in big size! Enjoy the main character Hayate's machine! A new series of highly collectible 1/20th scale Valkyrie plastic models, the largest scale in the history of Macross plas...

V cool kit, but basically required an entire paint job to look decent. It comes pre painted but...terribly so imo.

Also the decals are only available as stickers which suuucks, i had to scan and clean up and reprint them manually on decal paper to make it look half way decent

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Finally gave in & nabbed the Jehuty kit from BBTS since it was the cheapest I could find it. Not sure when it'll ship, but least I'm finally getting one of the kits I've wanted ever since I got into the hobby 4 years ago. Now I just need to get Anubis & maybe Doloros.

Friend also finally helped me get the Metalgreymon kit that he was trying to get for me since Xmas. Should arrive on the 24th, when I start a 4 day weekend, so between that & Paper Mario, it'll be a nice nostalgia filled time.

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'd do the MK2 or GP01/FB for PGs. I'd like to challenge myself to something pretty old and fiddly. Spend weeks on the thing, paint it all.
I like that you can make two versions of the GP01 and put the spare parts on a hanger.

But I ain't spending NZ$300+ on a Gundam any time soon.

Built the Macross YF-19 HG today. It's pretty fun, and I'm paralyzed on which mode to keep him in.
uX7JtkA.jpeg
tbD0kPZ.jpeg
YpEgW8L.jpeg

Since it partially parts-forms you're left with either a spare robot torso if you build the Fighter or plane nose + top without the wings and underside if you make the Battroid, so I wish they included a dumb chunk of plastic for the rest of the Fighter while the transforming bits are in the Battroid form, then you could display both at once.
The plus side with me getting distracted and sidetracked after only building the Battroid parts first is I've been able to have that on my shelf for awhile before I get around to finishing the rest and it's displayed in fighter mode lol.

Still need to buy the YF-21. Have the YF-29 sitting in my backlog already.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Hmmm, not as bad as Escaflowne but this isn't one I'd recommend too highly. Plus really lousy placement of undergating.
Ok the Aesty has both a super insecure footing and a poorly designed mounting spot(put something too big in there and the front guard pops off) so I had to pull out some extra stand parts to get it on there

Also who's freakin terrible idea was it to include the battery carrier(cool) but then make it so neither of the grabbing hands actually fit it?!? (Also having it silver on the box but dull gray in the kit is dirty pool. Especially when it's on a separate sprue they could've done in a better plastic color! Not the first time I've run into moderoid cheaping out like this either(Biggus Mchugeguy had the same issue with the feet being properly separated but not doing another color)
At least it has a full set of hands and a spare weapon tho

IMG_8906.jpg

IMG_8907.jpg

IMG_8908.jpg

IMG_8909.jpg

I got it on sale so no big issue, but I'm glad I skipped the ground unit version. Makes a touch concerned for the Black Selene tho. Also the chin bit took glue but like I said not had by general terms. Did enjoy it. But on the mid lower side for Moderoid

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Speaking of Escaflowne, think Bandai will ever do a HG Escaflowne? 😅
They've now established a dedicated Sunrise kit line, so I'd imagine it's a when not if. Just like Layzner. And hopefully Jushin Liger! Tho considering the transformation maybe RG Escaflowne? Seems beyond a Hg

Edit: also we got the full Go-Saurer trio even before the line began in earnest, I would say nothings off the table

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
They've now established a dedicated Sunrise kit line, so I'd imagine it's a when not if. Just like Layzner. And hopefully Jushin Liger! Tho considering the transformation maybe RG Escaflowne? Seems beyond a Hg

Edit: also we got the full Go-Saurer trio even before the line began in earnest, I would say nothings off the table
I think an expensive HG like the Macross kits will be fine unless they see a demand for something more premium. If that's the case they might go along with the RG Epyon engineering for transformation. We'll see. Escaflowne is my favourite TV anime, but I can't in good faith give GSC any money for those kits that just don't look fun to build. :/

May 24, 2019

View: https://youtu.be/6M56bkchrCM

The plus side with me getting distracted and sidetracked after only building the Battroid parts first is I've been able to have that on my shelf for awhile before I get around to finishing the rest and it's displayed in fighter mode lol.

Still need to buy the YF-21. Have the YF-29 sitting in my backlog already.
I made a dinky cardboard insert for the shared bits of the fighter yesterday. It's actually convincing from the other side of the room haha
sDLUEzn.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Man I've never done an in depth diorama besides basic stuff like a runway, hangar, etc but man I've gotten hooked on a couple mini diorama YouTube channels but now after getting a new 3d printer and playing Mass Effect for the first time I'm feeling really inspired to start

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Knocked out this guy today, a fun little quicky, tho I'll need to do the Ryujinmaru he pairs with next(sorry for the odd pic quality, my photo box is in the loft and I took down my setup for the moment for reasons)

IMG_8921.jpg
IMG_8922.jpg

IMG_8923.jpg

IMG_8924.jpg

IMG_8925.jpg

Only sticker is the belly gem sticker. It looks great

Oct 26, 2017
Do water transfer decals have a "shelf life"? Bought a kit with high difficulty decals that I probably won't get around to for quite some years as I want to get a painting set up and practice on other kits as well. Wondering if the decals will lose adhesiveness or become brittle etc. if I don't use them for like up to a decade.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
Do water transfer decals have a "shelf life"? Bought a kit with high difficulty decals that I probably won't get around to for quite some years as I want to get a painting set up and practice on other kits as well. Wondering if the decals will lose adhesiveness or become brittle etc. if I don't use them for like up to a decade.
They do, but it's really variable especially based on your storage conditions. Some last decades just fine and some aren't great after like 2 years. Either way Mark setter would help as long as they're not so old that they dissolve once they touch water for the first time. They do tend to last longer than stickers in my experience, though, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I don't love this line, there's tons of random weird choices between kits, fits can take a ton of force and there's odd bits galore. But for this much of a lucky clearance Grab I'm willing to give another try XD(last one I got was in a blind bag)
IMG_8947.jpg

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Oh damn, was that from Hobby Lobby? Yeah, I got Optimus Prime via 40% discount & it was okay, though one of the weaker kits I've bought. For those prices, though, I would gladly nab more of them.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Oh damn, was that from Hobby Lobby? Yeah, I got Optimus Prime via 40% discount & it was okay, though one of the weaker kits I've bought. For those prices, though, I would gladly nab more of them.
Yeah it's rare and the markdown is random and inconsistent(there was another identical bee kit only marked down to $22) but occasional you'll find a clearance item if it's an area where they're slow to move. I got the skywarp(which is a recolor of this Starscream) in a blind bag years ago and yeah not the best I've built(but far from the worst, they're modern at least… and I honestly would put them even or slightly above moderoids older or worse output like the Escaflowne . Now there's a line that's a gamble). Not a line I'd buy even with the 40% off but at 80% off heck yes.

On the 40% tho you have to hope you get there early first day if you're in an active market(where my family is isn't but the one closest to me is), and always double check the base price cause the bigger kits can be a dice toss on markup(the margin on the small ones usually isn't an issue tho) tho I've also had some luck where the wrong label was on it since it's not a modern sku system.

Oh and I'm happy to confirm they are now carrying planosaurus! One had the T. rex and another I went to had the triceratops. Both were $23. Not something I need but they're great entry kits if you have a kid you want to introduce to it.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
It's been a while since I was at HL, & I feel like for my area, they're not the fastest selling, nor that big of a selection, but I've had some decent finds with the 40% offs. Might swing by today to check their stock. It's usually just some Gundam, Transformers, Star Wars, Pokemon, & maybe some other easier stuff like DBZ, which is why I haven't checked their stock for some time since I try to be more selective with what kits I'm buying.

Moreso just want something to compensate for the fact Amazon pushed back Metalgreymon yet again & BBTS still hasn't shipped out my Z.O.E kit, and was hoping one of them would arrive during my PTO weekend.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
It's been a while since I was at HL, & I feel like for my area, they're not the fastest selling, nor that big of a selection, but I've had some decent finds with the 40% offs. Might swing by today to check their stock. It's usually just some Gundam, Transformers, Star Wars, Pokemon, & maybe some other easier stuff like DBZ, which is why I haven't checked their stock for some time since I try to be more selective with what kits I'm buying.

Moreso just want something to compensate for the fact Amazon pushed back Metalgreymon yet again & BBTS still hasn't shipped out my Z.O.E kit, and was hoping one of them would arrive during my PTO weekend.
Far as I can tell, they basically have slots for each size group and rotate that internally every couple months, but it only swaps in store when the previous one runs out. So if they move a lot of kits the lineup freshens up way quicker

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Ooooh shit, not only another Zone of the Enders kit, but this one also transforms. Doesn't release until Jan., but gives me time to get Anubis.

Just wish BBTS would get around to shipping Jehuty....and Amazon would stop bumping back Metalgreymon's release date.

FYI odd that BBTS are so behind on shipping Jehuty. I ordered mine from Amiami and got it about a month ago. Half way through the build atm.
They just shipped Anubis to me as well, should have it in a week or so.

Last edited:

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Far as I can tell, they basically have slots for each size group and rotate that internally every couple months, but it only swaps in store when the previous one runs out. So if they move a lot of kits the lineup freshens up way quicker
Just checked & the only clearance was $4.50 for The Mandalorian, which is usually $45. They REALLY shrunk their selection down, just Gundam (with a few MG like RX-78-2, Wing Gundam Zero EW, & Zeta Gundam Ver.Ka), 2 Transformers, & some Star Wars. Didn't see any sales, so I passed. Was debating by a MG like the RX since I have the RG, but without a sale, I'd rather put the money towards a different kit.

FYI odd that BBTS are so behind on shipping Jehuty. I ordered mine from Amiami and got it about a month ago. Half way through the build atm.
They just shipped Anubis to me as well, should have it in a week or so.
Yeah, just said "May 2024" & it's still under my pre-orders/open orders tab.

Will have to make an AmiAmi account to see what shipping is like when I'm back home.

Edit: Do they charge for pre-orders upon shipping or placing the order?

Last edited:

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Oh man don't remind me on BBtS preorders, I've 8, and 5 have been arriving this month since last december(they're all reprints, all Bandai. One I know got restocked elsewhere months ago but they still haven't gotten it), and 3 Q2 2024(again 2 reprints, all Bandai. One is a new release tho). Mostly some random Gundam stuff I've been wanting of the cheaper stuff, the final Go-Saurer trio unit I need, the super tiny Yamato to go with all the other kits I have from that line that I haven't messed with due to water decals, and the next Wataru kit. Barring Bandai announcing some getter kits I'm on a freeze for the most part excluding lucky sale finds. Got more than enough I'm working through. This was just stuff I didn't want to miss and BBtS pile of loot is just too convenient.
Just checked & the only clearance was $4.50 for The Mandalorian, which is usually $45. They REALLY shrunk their selection down, just Gundam (with a few MG like RX-78-2, Wing Gundam Zero EW, & Zeta Gundam Ver.Ka), 2 Transformers, & some Star Wars. Didn't see any sales, so I passed. Was debating by a MG like the RX since I have the RG, but without a sale, I'd rather put the money towards a different kit.

Yeah, just said "May 2024" & it's still under my pre-orders/open orders tab.

Will have to make an AmiAmi account to see what shipping is like when I'm back home.

Edit: Do they charge for pre-orders upon shipping or placing the order?

Like I said it's just luck of a draw. And yeah they do the sale every 2 weeks or so and it was last week. I'm not close enough to check out mine often.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
So AmiAmi is one of those "we don't give you a shipping cost until after you've ordered the item itself & it's ready" sites? Only thing I could find was this chart. Looks like for one kit, $25ish seems to be the cheapest.

I'll keep them in mind since it seems they ship sooner & could be a bit cheaper, but I really wish I knew the full cost before placing the order.

May 24, 2019
I've been curious about Advance of Zeta for a while now, so just jumped in with the big-un. Definitely the most expensive kit I've bought, though I haven't ventured into PGs yet.
iZYkUcT.jpeg
PcyMlH6.jpeg

So many X's on the runners. Hopefully I can make some full parts with them. Pretty sure I can get an alternate head.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I've been curious about Advance of Zeta for a while now, so just jumped in with the big-un. Definitely the most expensive kit I've bought, though I haven't ventured into PGs yet.
iZYkUcT.jpeg
PcyMlH6.jpeg

So many X's on the runners. Hopefully I can make some full parts with them. Pretty sure I can get an alternate head.
I was curious if they were just straight up reusing the HGUC Psycho's arms but that doesn't appear to be the case.

May 24, 2019
Just finished painting HG Mighty Strike Freedom. Amazing kit!

4xvEZkr.jpeg

e4BaQq4.jpeg

m58JAwq.jpeg
Can you plug a beam into the forehead canon? That'd be fun. Maybe they'll sell a big sparking effect on P-Bandai.

I've got the AOZ Gigantic Arms done.
IxVb7an.jpeg

4ot8fRg.jpeg

(images replaced with a cooler pose)
I feel like I'm working up to a PG or something. I might need to step back 😅
I was curious if they were just straight up reusing the HGUC Psycho's arms but that doesn't appear to be the case.
I think they're mostly based on the HG Psycho, but with the transformation bits removed and some new molding. There's also a new collapsing flap gimmick in there that lets it get a deeper bend.

Last edited:

Mayjur

Feb 7, 2021
So I'm in the neighborhood of trying out Gunpla for the first time, chalk it all up to me wanting to pick up a new hobby to occupy my spare time with.

I planned on picking up the HG 1/144 Gundam Aerial model
bans63030_0.jpg

Since I am a newbie to all this, I was wondering there was any basic tool sets available that come with what's needed to build the model since I lack them. (I'm also not sure if anything else is needed beyond the minimal requirements so I'm happy for anymore additional information and/or recommendations)

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Since I am a newbie to all this, I was wondering there was any basic tool sets available that come with what's needed to build the model since I lack them. (I'm also not sure if anything else is needed beyond the minimal requirements so I'm happy for anymore additional information and/or recommendations)
For a basic HG set you don't need much. I would recommend a cutting mat, a hobby knife, and a pair of nippers. That's about it. You could also get sandpaper or sanding sponges but... likely not necessary at this point. Just have fun first.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm in the neighborhood of trying out Gunpla for the first time, chalk it all up to me wanting to pick up a new hobby to occupy my spare time with.

I planned on picking up the HG 1/144 Gundam Aerial model
bans63030_0.jpg

You could look at a set like this and see what is included:

Tamiya 74016 Basic Tool Set / Tamiya USA

This set contains the basic, indispensable tools for model and craft work: A pair of side cutters for plastic, angled tweezers, small (+) and (-) screwdrivers, a craft knife and a file, all neatly packed in a handy plastic case.

I think the nippers, knife, and file are what you are looking for, though you don't need to get this set specifically and can buy a la carte elsewhere.

Mayjur

Feb 7, 2021
For a basic HG set you don't need much. I would recommend a cutting mat, a hobby knife, and a pair of nippers. That's about it. You could also get sandpaper or sanding sponges but... likely not necessary at this point. Just have fun first.
You could look at a set like this and see what is included:

Tamiya 74016 Basic Tool Set / Tamiya USA

This set contains the basic, indispensable tools for model and craft work: A pair of side cutters for plastic, angled tweezers, small (+) and (-) screwdrivers, a craft knife and a file, all neatly packed in a handy plastic case.

I think the nippers, knife, and file are what you are looking for, though you don't need to get this set specifically and can buy a la carte elsewhere.
Thanks, I did see basic tool sets like this available on Amazon for relatively cheaper prices compared to elsewhere, I think it'll suit me for the time being.