Deleted member 24624

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Those character designs are pretty basic looking, but everything else looks interesting. Platinum hasn't made anything noteworthy since Bayo 2, so I'm hoping this and Bayo 3 knock it out of the park.

Quinton

Staff Writer at TheGamer / Reviewer at RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar, With Love
I think I'll have a better time with this than Metal Gear Rising. I could never get into that one because its approach to storytelling within its established universe frustrated me to not end. This game won't have that issue. I'm excited to learn more.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
It's gonna get weird Evangelion shit where the Legions are themselves demons, trapped in armour, and chained to the cops as they're technically slaves.

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
Outside of the average looking anime protagonists, the game looks dope. I think I might give it a try just to support the fact this is a new IP by Platinum!

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
It's gonna get weird Evangelion shit where the Legions are themselves demons, trapped in armour, and chained to the cops as they're technically slaves.

The trailer made it seem like they're actually making an effort with the plot, so that's nice to see.

Really curious what Taura might bring from his experience with Automata into this.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That trailer is so Tokusatsu it hurt.

The character designs are bland (both the protagonists and the enemies), but Platinum knows how to add flash to make anything feel special.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The main issue with Platinum is that their tutorials are terrible and tend to teach you to play the game wrong. Over the years they've been getting worse. We'll see what happens.

I honestly think that they do it on purpose because they want you to learn the game systems yourself

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
This is made with the Xeno engine, I can feel it on my bones.

It looks like Nier: Automata's rendering engine, namely the particle effects towards the end of the trailer. Wouldn't make sense for Platinum to abandon their own internal engine updated for modern hardware, with toolsets they're familiar with, for a foreign engine anyway.

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
Just because it looks similar doesn't mean it's on the game engine. That's not how it works.
It looks like Nier: Automata's rendering engine, namely the particle effects towards the end of the trailer. Wouldn't make sense for Platinum to abandon their own internal engine updated for modern hardware, with toolsets they're familiar with, for a foreign engine anyway.

K people, my bad. Let's move on!

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
K people, my bad. Let's move on!

Nah, easy assumption. Sometimes devs contracted to work with first parties will take on technology from first party studios. Death Stranding is using Guerilla's engine from Horizon. It's an exclusive to PlayStation 4, but Kojima Productions isn't a Sony first party studio. So that's an example of what you thought.

Platinum made the smart move to invest pretty heavily in their own technology from early on. Even when they took on development of Metal Gear Rising, salvaging KojiPro's mess, they didn't adopt FOX Engine despite the game originally being built on such.

In fact, nearly every game they've ever worked on has utilised their own inhouse engine. It's a good idea, especially for an independent dev, as it ensures technical consistency across all staff and titles. Allows for asset and code reuse pretty easily. Speeds up the production pipeline as programmers are familiar with the toolset.

Funnily enough, Scalebound was I think the first major detractor from this pattern, as they were making it on Unreal Engine 4. And...well, we know how that ended.

duckroll

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
I can't imagine it's in active development. If it is, either Babylon's Fall or Bayo 3 isn't.
Why would you say that? Platinum has a ton of people. As of mid last year, they would have been working on Bayonetta 3, World of Demons, Babylon's Fall, Astral Chain, and Granblue Re:Link actively. That's how big they are. They're no longer working on two of those titles, and Astral Chain is probably almost done, given how it's shipping in August, so I don't see why they wouldn't be working on more games which aren't announced yet.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
I'm completely indifferent to this game. It didn't help that the Direct was full of games with a similar style. I know it will play good but eeeeeeh.
Maybe I missed something. What other game looked and played like this?
GratefulInexperiencedKakarikis-size_restricted.gif

UniformJointLiger-size_restricted.gif

Taka

Apr 27, 2018
Considering that this will obviously target 60fps, I feel this is going to be one of those games that "maximizes" the Switch hardware.

It's hard to imagine games looking much better than this on Switch.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
More than simplicity I'd say it has a lack of polish and balance. The bullet-hell sections are awful and work bad with the combat system, the roll is overpowered and makes the combat more tedious than difficult, the regen chips make it even more easy... I know you can customize the character a lot, but even so the basics are poor compared to the good Platinum action games.
Well, they weren't trying to make Bayonetta with a Nier skin, though. They were making a Nier game.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Pink-Haired Terrorist Lady is my terrorist-fu. The evil-looking scientist dude is pretty neat design too. Getting some Shinji's dad in Evangelion vibes.

Everything looks awesome. I'm the slightest bit iffy on the grittiness, but overall it's an awesome aesthetic.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Well, they weren't trying to make Bayonetta with a Nier skin, though. They were making a Nier game.
But what's a Nier game? We only had the first one before Automata, and well yeah, the bad things about Nier are indeed in Automata: bad bullet hell sections, bad enemy design, bad balance, mediocre attemps at doing multiple genres in one single game...

Automata is far better than the first Nier thanks to the elements Platinum brought from their other games: faster combat, better use of shooting mechanics for the ship sections (the first game had that awful attemps at the mine cart, let's try to forget the section), aerial combos...

I know that the music, world, writing... are from Nier, but the gameplay elements are a mix of good Platinum design and bad Yoko Taro decisions. Thankfully a third Nier will have even less fixated camera sections, minigames, and less half-assed mechanics that Yoko Taro is obsessed at including at his games even if we all know that his idea of gameplay design is more focused on quantity than on quality.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
But what's a Nier game? We only had the first one before Automata, and well yeah, the bad things about Nier are indeed in Automata: bad bullet hell sections, bad enemy design, bad balance, mediocre attemps at doing multiple genres in one single game...

Automata is far better than the first Nier thanks to the elements Platinum brought from their other games: faster combat, better use of shooting mechanics for the ship sections (the first game had that awful attemps at the mine cart, let's try to forget the section), aerial combos...

I know that the music, world, writing... are from Nier, but the gameplay elements are a mix of good Platinum design and bad Yoko Taro decisions. Thankfully a third Nier will have even less fixated camera sections, minigames, and less half-assed mechanics that Yoko Taro is obsessed at including at his games even if we all know that his idea of gameplay design is more focused on quantity than on quality.
It's an action RPG. It has good action RPG combat that doesn't require the precision of playing straight-action games like Bayonetta or Metal Gear Rising. And as much as Automata cleaned up the wonkiness of the gameplay from the original Nier, it was also reverent toward it, maintaining crazy bullet-hell sequences, camera shifts, odd sidequests, and even fishing, despite you never having to fish for any reason in the game at all, ever. You can just do it, get the lore from those crazy fish you catch, and then maybe go for one of the game's many alternate endings that's just there for a joke.

As a Nier fan, Automata is more Nier, but better executed on a mechanical front. That's all I'd want or expect from it, regardless of the developer behind it.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
A lot of things y'all hate about Nier/Automata are things I love and hope they never change.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
A lot of things y'all hate about Nier/Automata are things I love and hope they never change.
Well it depends on personal preferences for sure. My opinion is that when you have a solid gameplay foundation, you can start adding mechanics and "special" sections, but IMO the first Nier, and to a lesser extent Automata lack the solid gameplay foundation.

The first one had a mediocre mix of the worst platforming I've ever played, one of the worst combat systems on a ARPG, really bad riding sections, lots of backtracking to the same 3/4 areas (the platforming section in the bridge is maybe one of the worst ideas ever in a videogame, considering that you'll need to traverse the same sections multiple times), a bad bullet-hell implementation, a magic system that requires some aiming in a game that is not prepared to offer good aiming...

Thankfully Platinum/Taro decided to reduce the focus on implementing more things in Automata and decided to polish some of the elements from the first game.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.

Director left mid-way.

Nothing, like most of the claims people make about games we haven't seen in a while

I play Nomura games and wait for them just fine =) I'm used to not seeing any new visual for a game for ~2 years.

Koizumi just said development is fine, chill out.

Would they say something else?

I'm chill but I don't like to see games changing directors mid-way. Bad memories from Nomura > Tabata I guess.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Director left mid-way.

I play Nomura games and wait for them just fine =) I'm used to not seeing any new visual for a game for ~2 years.

Would they say something else?

I'm chill but I don't like to see games changing directors mid-way. Bad memories from Nomura > Tabata I guess.
When things got really bad for Metroid Prime 4, Nintendo produced an apology video explaining the situation.

duckroll

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
The difference with Bayonetta 3 here is that even if there was a massive retooling and the new director has a very different vision/direction from Hashimoto, as long as they get to finish the game, we wouldn't know the difference because they have shown nothing of the game so far. The biggest challenge for Tabata is that he was forced to keep certain things because of fan expectations from years of trailers and teasing, while he also want to do things his own way, leading to mish mash product that made a lot of people have weird expectations and perceptions, leading to disappointment. The comparisons will never end because S-E opened themselves up to that by showing Versus for years on drip feed, then announcing that it had become FFXV and claiming it was the same product at first, before announcing Nomura being dropped entirely and things clearly switching gears.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Nier Automata lost me at the demo. I own the game because I buy all things Platinum (and I had Amazon cash as a credit card reward), but I still haven't played through it all because I found the top-down sections and shooting stuff in the demo to be rather dull.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
The difference with Bayonetta 3 here is that even if there was a massive retooling and the new director has a very different vision/direction from Hashimoto, as long as they get to finish the game, we wouldn't know the difference because they have shown nothing of the game so far. The biggest challenge for Tabata is that he was forced to keep certain things because of fan expectations from years of trailers and teasing, while he also want to do things his own way, leading to mish mash product that made a lot of people have weird expectations and perceptions, leading to disappointment. The comparisons will never end because S-E opened themselves up to that by showing Versus for years on drip feed, then announcing that it had become FFXV and claiming it was the same product at first, before announcing Nomura being dropped entirely and things clearly switching gears.

That is true yes. many reasons of my hate were the changes! but it felt like Tabata didn't really know how to make a game out of those remnants of Versus.

The director of Bayo3 has ever been confirmed?

Not yet I believe. I think how well the game will turn out to be depends on the replacement. This may not be bad actually.. maybe the new director can shake up the gameplay and formula. Especially that as Duckroll said, we haven't seen anything.