• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Well, I mean, just look at them. They're not exactly appealing to your general audience. I can't easily recommend Bayonetta to my friends like I could Zelda or God of War. It's not exactly the sort of game you'd feel comfortable playing in front of somebody else

It's a big success by Platinum Game's standards but not by any other major publisher and developer. Not sure if Astral Chain would be as big of a success but I'm sure it'll do fine

Why not? To me Bayonetta 2 and God of War are on the same league with Bayonetta having a far better combat. It's just because the amount of "hot" scenes? Then what about games like Vanquish or The Wonderful 101? Those are also niche and they don't have all of that.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Why not? To me Bayonetta 2 and God of War are on the same league. It's just because the amount of "hot" scenes? Then what about games like Vanquish or The Wonderful 101? Those are also niche and they don't have all of that.
God of War does not have a sultry lady who strips when she attacks as the main character or anything as near as over the top as the bosses or enemies as Bayonetta. Then you have the fact that God of War is a cinematic narrative driven Western game with incredibly high production values and strong marketing. It's very easy to see why it's an easier recommendation

I can't comment on Vanquish but The Wonderful 101 is a very tough recommendation for just about anyone. It's not exactly pretty or accessible and the Saturday morning cartoon vibes are naturally not gonna be up most people's alley. It doesn't help that it was on a failure like the Wii U either

Rafavert

Oct 31, 2017
Portugal
Maybe you guys already discussed this, but check this out - it looks like the summoning device encircles the neck of the Legion, like a dog collar, while the chain attaches to it like a leash, suggesting the Legion's subservience. But also, on the other end, the chain looks like it is shackled onto the cop, like a handcuff - maybe going along with the theme of the twins themselves being slaves to the system? Just some possible ways to interpret the imagery:

Astral-Chain_2019_02-13-19_050.jpg

Talking a bit out of my butt here:

Could they be extradimensional characters that are being enslaved?

I thought of the multiple dimensions things in the scene where we see a "simulation" of something that looked like a bridge collapsing. Potential multiple dimensions, with that being what happened in another one, and the Legions are being from there (or yet another) that are being forced to work with the humans?

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Talking a bit out of my butt here:

Could they be extradimensional characters that are being enslaved?

I thought of the multiple dimensions things in the scene where we see a "simulation" of something that looked like a bridge collapsing. Potential multiple dimensions, with that being what happened in another one, and the Legions are being from there (or yet another) that are being forced to work with the humans?

The falling bridge is likely the character using forensic tech to investigate a crime scene, as you can see the bridge already on the ground just before the holograms appear.

LostLink

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There is something unattractive and I can't point it out really. Anyhow, I'm looking forward to it, I trust the studio and the names behind the game.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
It's part of me not understanding why Platinum Games are so niche, when (besides the few subpar releases) they nail everything:

- The presentation is always big and epic (from the scenery to the soundtrack)
- They don't have long ass intro, with annoying dialogues or tutorials, it's straight into the gameplay.
- Core gameplay is fun, and they always have that arcade-y feel which allows for replayability if you want higher scores
- They are generally not long games, usually you can finish the main story in 10-15 hours which is the sweet spot, but you can obviously spend more than 50 hours going for all the extras.

Bayonetta sales should be closer to Devil May Cry for instance.

Nier Automata was a big success, i'd be happy if this sells like a Xenoblade Chronicles 2, for these types of games that's already a big achievement.

You're right, of course, but I think they aren't bigger for two reasons -- 1) aesthetically, they lean heavily into the anime/manga/otaku world, which some people don't have a taste for, and which will never have wider mainstream appeal; and 2) they tend to be pretty difficult, challenging games where you need to think on your feet and really master the controls (i.e., button mashing is punished). Just my two cents - I love their games to death and would love to see them blow up huge, but I think these two aspects will hold them back. However, I also really appreciate those two aspects and would rather they don't change, so I dunno.

Laur

Oct 27, 2017
Seeing the chain on the legions neck makes me think that we'll lose it at some point and that we'll be fighting with both twins tied to each other until we earn the legions trust or something.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just as a follow-up:
Nice. Was searching for any art earlier and really didn't see these. Hopefully it picks up with time and we have way more in the future. The other characters have more grounded pretty cool visuals to contrast with the more over the top main characters too.

God of War does not have a sultry lady who strips when she attacks as the main character or anything as near as over the top as the bosses or enemies as Bayonetta. Then you have the fact that God of War is a cinematic narrative driven Western game with incredibly high production values and strong marketing. It's very easy to see why it's an easier recommendation

I can't comment on Vanquish but The Wonderful 101 is a very tough recommendation for just about anyone. It's not exactly pretty or accessible and the Saturday morning cartoon vibes are naturally not gonna be up most people's alley. It doesn't help that it was on a failure like the Wii U either
tbh I think both of you are somewhat right. "Nintendo fans" really ignore a lot of content that isn't from their childhoods or long running, yet sometimes a few things do well like Splatoon. But it's weird, even Splatoon I see some people resisting like it's not a "true Nintendo", which they probably see as only the old mainstream things of their childhood, like Mario, Zelda, Pokémon, Star Fox, etc.

Yet I can't say "next-gen" gamers are totally open to other things. They do get more into new third party stuff, but we've seen time and time again more niche titles doing better with Nintendo audiences -- stuff like Dragon Quest will likely keep being sold mostly to Nintendo owners. I would say high budget/AAA presentation will always be more interesting to the next-gen audience and eat the attention other more bizarre/niche ideas could have.

I think this is a less of a problem as long as the designs lean more towards Dragon Ball and less to Senran Kagura.
I don't think this is a great example considering Dragon Quest is literally designed by Dragon Ball's creator and the series never breaks out in the west. I would say Nier Automata is closer to Senran Kagura than Dragon Ball.

Oct 27, 2017

Yea the problem with W101 is essentially an audience mismatch. I know there are adult fans of Power rangers and the Sentai genre but fact of the matter is that in the west its seen as for children only. But the content and gameplay is clearly aimed for older gamers so hence its audience will always be limited

Principate

Oct 31, 2017

Breh there's QTE sex scenes in God War. You seem have taken the latest God War game as barometer for the franchise when that's furthest from the case. God of War 3 that launched last gen with Bayonetta is at least as eggregious as bayonetta was back then with these sorts of things.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
It's part of me not understanding why Platinum Games are so niche, when (besides the few subpar releases) they nail everything:

- They don't have long ass intro, with annoying dialogues or tutorials, it's straight into the gameplay.
- Core gameplay is fun, and they always have that arcade-y feel which allows for replayability if you want higher scores
- They are generally not long games, usually you can finish the main story in 10-15 hours which is the sweet spot, but you can obviously spend more than 50 hours going for all the extras.

Nier Automata was a big success, i'd be happy if this sells like a Xenoblade Chronicles 2, for these types of games that's already a big achievement.
PlatinumGames is indeed the studio that can make highly critically acclaimed games and yet stay in the shadow as niche developers, that's really odd.
Like I had hope after Nier Automata that they finally can have mainstream appeal and yet we're back to square one.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017

You only have to look at the type of games that win GOTY awards and sell 5 million+ copies to know that Platinum don't make games that appeal to more wider audiences.

Krypt

Nov 10, 2017
Center of the World
Just as a follow-up:

They are FAR from "exactly the same." We've never seen the blade Legion do a bow attack, and the bow Legion doesn't even blades on its arms, it just uses a bow. Even aside from their having two different designs, one being focused on close-range and the other being focused on long-range is a preeetty big difference.

gzfSe8n.jpg

The fanart are nice.

Apr 9, 2018
You only have to look at the type of games that win GOTY awards and sell 5 million+ copies to know that Platinum don't make games that appeal to more wider audiences.
Yeah, character action games are a niche genre in the same way as JRPGs or fighting games. There just isn't a huge market here for technical gameplay, it's not anime dislike though there's obviously a bit of that too.

This game won't touch Nier Automata numbers as an exclusive but should blow past Bayo 2 if it still looks good at E3.

Oct 26, 2017
Yea the problem with W101 is essentially an audience mismatch. I know there are adult fans of Power rangers and the Sentai genre but fact of the matter is that in the west its seen as for children only. But the content and gameplay is clearly aimed for older gamers so hence its audience will always be limited
Yeah, TW101 was always going to be a tough sell in general. That's not a knock against its quality but the audience it was aiming for wasn't exactly large. In all honesty, I think the game would've struggled on any system

Breh there's QTE sex scenes in God War. You seem have taken the latest God War game as barometer for the franchise when that's furthest from the case. God of War 3 that launched last gen with Bayonetta is at least as eggregious as bayonetta was back then with these sorts of things.
Oh that's absolutely true but there are several key factors that work in favor of God of War 3 that likewise don't for Bayonetta. Its production values, marketing, and the fact that it's a major 1st party title meant that it was pushed to the forefront. Then you have the fact that it's a male power fantasy, where it's more raunchy and violent stuff is more so in line with what a guy would play, versus Bayonetta

tbh I think both of you are somewhat right. "Nintendo fans" really ignore a lot of content that isn't from their childhoods or long running, yet sometimes a few things do well like Splatoon. But it's weird, even Splatoon I see some people resisting like it's not a "true Nintendo", which they probably see as only the old mainstream things of their childhood, like Mario, Zelda, Pokémon, Star Fox, etc.

Yet I can't say "next-gen" gamers are totally open to other things. They do get more into new third party stuff, but we've seen time and time again more niche titles doing better with Nintendo audiences -- stuff like Dragon Quest will likely keep being sold mostly to Nintendo owners. I would say high budget/AAA presentation will always be more interesting to the next-gen audience and eat the attention other more bizarre/niche ideas could have.
Oh I've definitely noticed that, even amongst my own friends, who aren't exactly big Nintendo fans. They have a tough time going for newer Nintendo franchises or even newer entries in their older franchises. Something like Splatoon is definitely seen as "not a real Nintendo game". But I think they're more of a vocal minority as, when Nintendo does make a new major IP with a lot of appeal, they tend to sell well

Yeah, that's the thing. Most folk in general tend to stick with what they're familiar with and/or with the games that are pushed the hardest, with the highest production values, most accessible and played amongst their friends

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
WFfJHE7.png

What does it say?
No clue

Funny enough, psycho-pass also had these mascot things as a pretty relevant part of the anime

Taka

Apr 27, 2018
What does it say?
No clue
"It's Platinum Games, isn't it..."

Not really. Sword - Bow - Doggo legions has it own shape and Design.
xOCD5Go.jpg
These shots are really great. I've said it before but the artstyle really helps get extra mileage out of the hardware. Considering the 60fps target I really feel like this is going to one of those games that pushes the Switch to its limits.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a thing Kamiya says a lot on Twitter correcting people who say PlatinumGames wrong. In this case usually correcting people who say
"プラチナゲームス" (PlatinumGames with the su kana ending) instead of "プラチナゲームズ" with zu in the end.

Basically "it's PlatinumGames".

Deleted member 32106

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
It's a thing Kamiya says a lot on Twitter correcting people who say PlatinumGames wrong. In this case usually correcting people who say
"プラチナゲームス" (PlatinumGames with the su kana ending) instead of "プラチナゲームズ" with zu in the end.

Basically "it's PlatinumGames".
Even this thread's name is wrong about PlatiumGames lol

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
Weird that so many people confused it for a Xenoblade game based on reactions.
Doesn't look anything like 1 or 2, and has vague connections to X but X had mechs and not the blade/stand system.

Just looking at the combat should've been enough.
It almost seems that any Sci-Fi Anime looking game (Daemon X Machina got this as well) is automatically going to get a Xenoblade comparison now. It's also almost as if people have forgotten that Monolith is solely working on their new Medieval Fantasy RPG game now.

I mostly got Nier vibes from the trailer anyway. The music and the voices particularly. I mean, maybe I'm hearing things but I swear the main girl voice in the trailer (The "Terrorist") sounds like A2 or YoRHa Commander from Automata.

Also this pink-hair girl instantly made me think of Devola/Popola for some reason.
NbFYxSL.jpg

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It almost seems that any Sci-Fi Anime looking game (Daemon X Machina got this as well) is automatically going to get a Xenoblade comparison now. It's also almost as if people have forgotten that Monolith is solely working on their new Medieval Fantasy RPG game now.

I mostly got Nier vibes from the trailer anyway. The music and the voices particularly. I mean, maybe I'm hearing things but I swear the main girl voice in the trailer (The "Terrorist") sounds like A2 or YoRHa Commander from Automata.

Also this pink-hair girl instantly made me think of Devola/Popola for some reason.
NbFYxSL.jpg
People saying xenoblade 1 or 2 are just looking for something but anyone who thinks xenoblade X honestly thought so, the character models look remarkably close almost as if they were rendered the same way, xenoblade games also arent known for being a direct sequel so you could potentially see it as taking place before earth blew up in X if takahashi wanted, however once the actual gameplay starts it became more and more clear that this is a platinum title

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017

Not exactly "solely." Takahashi's next project is also recruiting, and it seems to be separate from the medieval fantasy game.

Supreme Leader Galahad

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
A bit of a sidenote:
I think it looks nicer than Bayonetta 2 did, but there also seem to be fewer enemies, perhaps focusing on few more complex enemies vs several you can weave around.
Not sure if it looking nicer has to do with the cellshaded style or anything else.

It does look really nice, though I'm a bit bummed that there's probably no switch pro out this year or maybe ever.
Would've been cool, but i guess the line up for 2019 doesn't really need much of a boost. Hope one comes out around Bayonetta 3, tho
What happened to Switch Pro?

Oct 25, 2017
What happened to Switch Pro?
I think insiders agreed on the next switch model being a slimmed Switch.
Pro might happen, but likely next year?

Perhaps positioned as a stronger alternative to Switch that'll look better next to PS5 and XB1.
Bayonetta 3, and likely either a new Mario/Zelda are likely due out that year so it would be smart to push it with new hardware

Supreme Leader Galahad

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I think insiders agreed on the next switch model being a slimmed Switch.
Pro might happen, but likely next year?

Perhaps positioned as a stronger alternative to Switch that'll look better next to PS5 and XB1.
Bayonetta 3, and likely either a new Mario/Zelda are likely due out that year so it would be smart to push it with new hardware
;—; guess ill have to buy a normal Switch then later this year, cant wait that much, Astral chain made me pull the trigger.

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Weird that so many people confused it for a Xenoblade game based on reactions.
Doesn't look anything like 1 or 2, and has vague connections to X but X had mechs and not the blade/stand system.

Just looking at the combat should've been enough.

Well, Xenoblade 2 didn't look anything like Xenoblade 1 or X in the first trailer too. I was thinking it could be something new from them. Then the music and town gave me X vibes. And one enemy looked a bit like the monsters under the cloudsea in Xenoblade 2. And then i remembered that Takahashi wanted to make an action game and could have gone full Sci Fi again. Also the partner reminded me a bit of blades. Only started Nier after this trailer, so that connection didn't come to my mind, but yes the battle system should have been a sign that it is a Platinum game.

Oct 25, 2017
Well, Xenoblade 2 didn't look anything like Xenoblade 1 or X in the first trailer too. I was thinking it could be something new from them. Then the music and town gave me X vibes. And one enemy looked a bit like the monsters under the cloudsea in Xenoblade 2. And then i remembered that Takahashi wanted to make an action game and could have gone full Sci Fi again. Also the partner reminded me a bit of blades. Only started Nier after this trailer, so that connection didn't come to my mind, but yes the battle system should have been a sign that it is a Platinum game.
I'm not sure, as soon as the cop lady kicked the alien and the screen froze for a second to accentuate an action, that told me it was platinum.

Do hope Monolith makes an action RPG in the future, though. The combat in XC2 is pretty cool, but it probably limits their audience

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure, as soon as the cop lady kicked the alien and the screen froze for a second to accentuate an action, that told me it was platinum.

Do hope Monolith makes an action RPG in the future, though. The combat in XC2 is pretty cool, but it probably limits their audience

Probably my wish for a new monolithsoft game was just too strong. WIll be interesting what they do with the more fantasy like game (and at least one of the 2 games seems to be more like an action rpg) . I really like the battlesystem of Xenonblade 2 but it's complicated and was a horror to explain to newbies of the series. So yeah, it's a hurdle for many players.

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
I keep rewatching the trailer for that music, I have a really good feeling about this game.
Taura hopefully learnt a lot from Yoko Taro working with him on Nier: Automata. Plus Platinum has usually done a good job with getting their games to perform well on Nintendo hardware too. So should be a good result one would think, even if the game is definitely coming very quickly.

Well, hopefully Taura learnt more than these crazy antics of getting his shirt pulled off from Taro :D