LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
Cutscenes are great, I love em, you love em, no one is arguing that fact.

However, this medium's greatest strength is interaction, and while games get more emotional I was thinking back on those moments where interaction struck me emotionally:

Uncharted 3: walking in the desert. The single moment I knew I wanted to be a developer. I hate the term "walking simulator" because it is so dismissive of engagement. The second night Drake is in the desert you have to keep pushing on the stick or he collapses; you the player becomes a manifestation of willpower. THAT'S FUCKING BEAUTIFUL. It will always be my favorite moment in my favorite videogame.

The Last of Us: carrying Ellie so beautifully calls back to the opening. It is a great example of plant and payoff and I can't imagine the game ending originally with just a cutscene of the sequence.

Mass Effect 3: running to the beam. There is something about that moment that made the stakes feel so high and desperate.

Brother: A Tale of Two Sons: the ending in the water and the controller configuration was brilliant.

And last but not least, the entirety of Journey. I do not think we will ever have a game that hits in exactly the same way, that's both beautiful and sad. I remember having the same partner throughout the entire game, they got a little ahead of me, but they waited for me and we walked into the mountain together.

What about you, Era? What moments "on the stick" moved you?

Mephissto

Mar 8, 2024
Just recently the "Aerith Trial" in FF7 Rebirth. I am usually not someone to cry during games/movies but I had to hold back tears, lol.

Edit: It is party cutscenes too though but the playable part was the most impactful to me.

Khaidu

Oct 28, 2017
The final moments of The Last Guardian tore me to pieces. A big reason why I haven't been able to replay it.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
A couple of parts in What Remains of Edith Fitch. Some of those vignettes hit pretty hard.

Ending E of Nier Automata

dipship31

Oct 26, 2017
tears-of-the-kingdom-link-reaching-for-zelda.jpg

Stavo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 26, 2022
Brazil
Telltale's Walking Dead, Season 1, final chapter.
Cutting off Lee's arm and later shooting him with Clem. I really liked Lee and I was devastated when the game gave me the chance of shooting him. But I'd rather he die knowing he wouldn't come back.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Yep I'll second Journey at launch for sure. Clearing the storm, having lost the person I was with from the beginning... man I was heartbroken after spending so much time with them learning the game. Then I hear the ping, turn around and they are blasting emotes at me, jumping up and down and we just celebrated for a good minute to two before we continued, followed quickly by the beautiful ascent together... man I was welling up for sure

What a magical game

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022
Nier Automata : Ending E didn't make me cry but was emotional for sure.

GulfCoastZilla

Shinra Employee
Sep 13, 2022
Still waiting for it to happen.
I'm not young anymore so I kind of zone out during cut scenes and check my phone.

I mean killing a dog will do it but I think that's a low blow and will literally walk out the room and bring the garbage out to the curb.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
rdr 2, the last ride into camp in ch6. you just knew shit was gonna go down and it wasnt gonna be pretty

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Aerith's trial in Rebirth brought me close.

Parts of the end of Ori and the Will of the Wisp got me close, too.

Aug 31, 2019
Many little gameplay moments in Spiritfarer, most impactfully rowing people to the Everdoor when you really, really didn't want to.

You already mentioned Brothers, but that moment for me was intense and has stuck with me since.

ratprophet

Banned
Jun 24, 2021
The ending of brothers: a tale of two sons. Best example of ludo narrative resonance I can think of

RezziHD_

Apr 28, 2022
End of Valiant Hearts. Obviously not gonna spoil it but slowly realizing whats about to happen and knowing/hearing what the playable character is thinking (and believes to be true) was heartbreaking.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Saw the title and came in here to say the part in TLOU were you're carrying Ellie out of the hospital and the museum part in TLOUP2, but they were already mentioned.

The trials in FF7 Rebirth. Specifically Aerith's were all emotional to varying degrees.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
Not really in a "this is sad" way, but near the end of Bioshock Infinite. When you
get teleported to rapture, its one of the only times where i've been truly stunned at a game. Made me extremely nostalgiac and emotional.
Im so glad I did not have that spoiled prior to plating it

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
There's a lot but really wanna give a special mention to FF7 Rebirth. The section here you play as Aerith as a child broke me. A short but impactful sequence

Like the hat?

Oct 25, 2017
Telltale's Walking Dead, Season 1, final chapter.
Cutting off Lee's arm and later shooting him with Clem. I really liked Lee and I was devastated when the game gave me the chance of shooting him. But I'd rather he die knowing he wouldn't come back.
that whole first season was such a gut punch and honestly one of my favorite gaming experiences.

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
Hollow Knight's final boss due to the self-stabbing and also the masterpiece that is Christopher Larkin's Sealed Vessel. Gets me every time.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I kinda feel like a soulless husk realizing that games rarely ever make me flat-out cry. LOL I feel emotion and attachment of course, but nothing has driven me to tears the way other media has (books, movies, music, etc.). I don't know why.

But! There are games that have affected me deeply and make me think about them all the time, some of which have been mentioned: Mother 3, Undertale, Outer Wilds, Sayonara Wild Hearts, Celeste, Shadow of the Colossus, Life is Strange, Nier, and so many others.

Jan 19, 2022
I'm weak to anime shit, so most recently, the true final boss of the Penacony arc in Honkai Star Rail.

Oh, and obviously Ending E in Nier Automata and Undertale true ending and escaping the hospital with Ellie.