• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
social-card-3.d239ab8gpj7f.jpg

Just got the owner's email and it seems to have been a battery issue.

As our first 5,000 finished Playdate units arrived at our warehouse in California for 2021, we began to test a few of them. We quickly became concerned that some of them weren't giving us the battery life we expected. Playdate's battery is designed to last a very long time, and always be ready for you, even if not used for a while. But that was not the case: in fact, we found a number of units with batteries so drained, Playdate wouldn't power on at all — and couldn't be charged. That's a battery worst-case scenario.

This quickly turned into a months-long, all-hands-on-deck research stress-ball, and we halted production at the factory.

The conclusion?

We made the difficult, expensive decision to replace all of our existing batteries with brand new ones, from a totally different battery supplier.

It was extra frustrating, because when we built our Developer Preview units, the exact same type of batteries worked just fine — but something, somewhere (we're researching) changed between then and now, and the new ones did not work just fine. We have no time to waste, so we're moving on.

And so, we shipped 5,000 finished Playdates back to Malaysia to be given new batteries. How did that feel? Not great!!!

The good news: we've already received the new batteries from the new supplier, and they're looking really impressive — they're exactly what we're hoping for, if not even better than before. We're extremely confident the new supplier can give Playdate the battery life we designed, and you deserve.

Current Estimates:
screenshot2021-11-11ajrjv4.png

Crank you later!

ElMexiMerican

Oct 25, 2017
Just saw this in my inbox. Sucks, but completely understandable and expected. Crazy that anything past the orders that have already been placed are now going to go into 2023.

eltercero

Feb 3, 2018
Madrid
I'm in Group #1 (according to the email) and I can wait just fine. I mostly feel sorry for them; it must have been a very stressful experience finding out the batteries issue.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
Bleh. Not surprised though. Was hyped for this and StreamDeck to (possibly) close out the year. Now it's just disappointment all the way down.

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
Not surprised, this seems like a ridiculously hard time to release any kind of tech product, especially as a small time company

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
With lots of pre-orders in place, we immediately placed an order at our factory for all the parts needed for 2022 units and beyond. The response was… sobering. Many of our parts have been delayed significantly. In fact, we can't get any more of Playdate's current CPU for — you're not going to believe this — two years. Like, 730 days.

Here's one way we're working to beat the chip shortage: we've just finished a revision of Playdate's main board (for units made later next year) so that we can use a similar, but more widely available, CPU.

Damn

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
I had to cancel mine last week due to financial reasons... go to play.date, sign in, go to orders, cancel. It was painful but now that it got delayed it doesn't hurt as much.
Yeah, I just brought up the cancel page. I was getting two units with two covers for $450 total. I'll wait for an official word about the delay before hitting the eject button.

EDIT: I got the email as soon as I made this post. The order is now officially cancelled.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
It sucks, but it's for a good reason. I'm Group #2, I'll be okay.

Despite the delays of both the Playdate & the Steam Deck, I really appreciate both companies for at least allowing you to place an order with estimated shipping dates. For the life of me, I do not understand why Sony, Microsoft & Nintendo doesn't do the same. Even with its numerous retail channels does this with their products.

Ckoerner

Aug 7, 2019
I'm a long-time user of Panic software, a fan of their produced games (Firewatch, Untitled Goose Game), and an early preorder-er for the Playdate.

This is fine. I feel more empathy for the folks trying to make something in the current dumpster fire of global capitalist supply-chain fuckery than upset that I don't get to play with a new gizmo.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
On the one hand, horns.aiff, particularly for anyone who'd wanted this for Christmas; on the other hand it's very good that Panic caught this issue rather than ship DoA units and had to issue a recall.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Really playing fast and loose with the term "owner's" here, Play Boys.

gifyku

Aug 17, 2020
I actually forgot I had a playdate preordered lol. But its what it is.

The holiday season belongs to Halo exclusively now. Who would have thunk it?

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
I'm actually quite devastated by this lol, have been REALLY craving it lately, but I'm so happy they are doing the right thing by taking care of the battery problem before it becomes a problem. Thankfully, I am in group 1, so it's still relatively soon.

The fact that it was a battery issue this time leaves me wondering the if the Analogue Pocket will indeed see a similar delay, fingers crossed that the one I'm most looking forward to can stick to its 2021 goal.

Ruck

Oct 25, 2017
That sucks but I'd rather have it delayed than get it and have it be recalled and still not get one until 2022.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
Disappointed, but in group one and looking forward to early 2022 I guess. Would rather have a decent battery than a return tbh.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Disappointed, but not surprised. Thankfully I am in that first 10,000. But was hoping to play this over Christmas. Best of luck to the team as they work through the final weeks before shipment.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Forgot I preordered this.

Sending back 5k for battery rework has to suck.

KingDrool

Oct 27, 2017
Luckily, I'm in group 1. But I really appreciate their transparency. The email was super detailed. It's a bummer, but I can handle it.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
How hard is it to swap the battery? Just send me my unit and a new battery, I'll take care of it!

I'm kidding obviously…mostly.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
At least I got confirmed I'm in the first group.

There's also the news that they had to switch to a different CPU because the original one isn't available anymore until 2023.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
This is fine. I'd rather have a good battery life than a rushed product, and at least for the initial wave it's not that bad of a delay.

Oct 25, 2017
In Group 1, got the e-mail, have been expecting it due to a combination of things being extremely quiet from their side re:delivery lately, and the Steam Deck delay.

Doesn't really bother me; I'm honestly mostly surprised that it was a battery failure that took them out of 2021 and not just the general supply chain issues. Really, really sucks for them to have come so close only to miss their planned launch date, but it'll just be something to look forward to in early 2022 for me.