DarthKamen

Keeper of the White Materia
Jun 22, 2023
I'm sick of waiting for that rumored remaster from I think 2021? So I'm finally buckling down and just going to try and emulate the game...which I usually don't stick with as I hate gaming on my terrible laptop, but I am determined to finally play this game. I LOVED Tactics Ogre Reborn, I love the world building of FF XII, and I even really enjoyed the Ivalice and Bozja story in FF XIV.

I'm playing a modded PS1 version that apparently adds in a lot of content from the PSP release. Silly as it sounds, the "blame yourself or God" line was what convinced me to go with the PS1 over the PSP, I do prefer the style of dialogue in the PS1 release, even if the PSP's is overall more well written. I was shocked said God quote was in the first 15 minutes of the game though.

Coming from TO:R, is there anything I should know or try and do differently than playing that game? I believe I've heard FFT is a bit more RPG-ish in some ways? Any help is appreciated.

(I've also never done a LTTP and am not proud of how long it took me to figure out what that even meant, so if I did something wrong with this let me know and I'll try and correct it.)

jungius

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Sep 5, 2021
utilize save slot tbh, there's several continous battles in mid to late game that will wreck you out and make you cannot continue the game if you don't grind enough

also calculator is best job

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
Not that you shouldn't be doing this already because he is one of the best characters gameplay wise, but be sure to level Ramza and keep him well equipped

Last edited:

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
Once you finish, if you enjoyed the gameplay, I highly recommend FFT Advance on GBA. The story in that one sucks but the gameplay loop is so good that I sunk hundreds of hours in that game.

Vaenyr

▲ Legend ▲
Mar 16, 2019
There are some difficulty spikes, a couple being quite notorious, so don't neglect leveling your characters and jobs, and keeping multiple save slots. That said, I found the first couple of hours to be the hardest. I could barely win random battles against monsters, which made leveling an ordeal, but after a while things started getting easier.

When I first started FFT I was a bit disappointed and it didn't click with me because I approached it from a Fire Emblem point of view. I'm glad I came back to the game a couple years later. I could properly appreciate it for what it is and had a great time.

OP
OP
DarthKamen

DarthKamen

Jun 22, 2023
There are some difficulty spikes, a couple being quite notorious, so don't neglect leveling your characters and jobs, and keeping multiple save slots. That said, I found the first couple of hours to be the hardest. I could barely win random battles against monsters, which made leveling an ordeal, but after a while things started getting easier.

When I first started FFT I was a bit disappointed and it didn't click with me because I approached it from a Fire Emblem point of view. I'm glad I came back to the game a couple years later. I could properly appreciate it for what it is and had a great time.

I've never played a FE game but have always wanted to. I'm curious, what are some differences?
From the guy that leaked a lot of stuff these past months.

Silknigth on X, Tactics remaster will arrive on all platforms by the end of the year, is what he said.
Huh. Oh well, guess I can replay it when that does release. Thanks for letting me know

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
I've never played a FE game but have always wanted to. I'm curious, what are some differences?

There are many to list, but the biggest differences are larger maps (more "zoomed out" scale, if that makes sense). More units in your squad at one time. A little more emphasis on where you position units in a battle. Random stat increases when characters level up.

I like the character progression in FFT and TO a LOT more than FE. But FE does feel like you're playing with the full chess board rather than a subsection of it.

Apr 9, 2018
Thanks OP, by purchasing and starting the original you have completed the ritual and the Tactics remaster will be announced and released imminently. Thank you for your sacrifice 🫡

Vaenyr

▲ Legend ▲
Mar 16, 2019

Kinda difficult to explain the differences since most of my experiences with tactical RPGs comes from FE and FFT is the only one I've played that's different and my playthrough of it was a couple of years ago.

In most Fire Emblem games you don't have random encounters or even an over world map. You have a map that visualizes the locations to put everything into context and in between maps you get the current happenings in the world as well as an explanation why you're fighting Duke X or Earl Y who is allied with Empire Z in this next map. Stuff like that. The battles themselves (or chapters) are usually a bit on the bigger side compared to FFT. You have units like cavalry on horseback or pegasus riders who can fly. Riding and flying dramatically increases how far a unit can move in their turn and the later can stay on spots like mountains or castle walls that other units can't stand on.
That said, most of the modern FE games have some kind of map that you can replay without continuing the story to level and ability grind. Instead of jobs you have classes. Many of them have some kind of gimmick (mages having the equivalent of black magic, healing classes the equivalent of white magic, cavalry can ride on horseback, generals or knights wear heavy armour making them far more tanky at the cost of mobility, archers get to attack from two spaces away and if the enemy uses swords, lances or axes usually can't be attacked in their own turn).

The biggest difference is probably the way combat works. In FFT each unit has its own speed stat which determines the turn order. In FE you have phases, where each of your units gets to do an action, then each of the enemy's, then yours again and so on. The actual fighting is basically a stat-based coin toss. If you attack an enemy they'll be able to counter attack at the same time. Say you have two sword fighters, then your unit attacks and if the enemy survives they hit back. The unit's speed stat can influence how often you can attack, for example you might get to hit the enemy once, they hit back, but then you hit a second time. Most of the games use a rock-paper-scissors system with swords, lances and axes, so you have to choose which enemy unit should be attacked by which of your fighters.
When attacking an enemy you get a preview that approximates how much health the enemy and your unit will probably have after the fight, what the hit chance is (since you can miss) and what the crit chance is. That's what I mean with "probably" because it could be that the enemy is supposed to be left with 10 HP, but you crit or activate a chance-based offensive ability of your unit which outright kills the enemy.

Debuffs like poison appear from time to time, but aren't really important mechanics. Usually the affected units lose a bit of health at the beginning of the phase. In actual story maps the general idea is to position your units in a way where they won't get overwhelmed by enemies, while at the same time you try to get the most effective units to the enemies you can get killed in a round. There are sometimes gimmick maps where specific characters are trapped or ambushed and have to escape while somehow trying to survive. Or you have to save villagers or some other kind of NPC. The maps themselves can be quite short (around 10 minutes) to quite long (45 to 60 minutes, depending on your luck). The fourth game (which is rumoured to be the next one to be remade and originally only released in Japan on the SNES) has enormous maps that take hours to clear, but also "only" 10 chapters.
I'd say the general combat and gameplay is, or at least feels, more fast paced, even if the map might take some time since it's not unusual to bring around 10 to 12 of your units against the enemy's 15 to 20. You often have various gimmicks that help you balance the fights.

This probably borders on incoherent rambling lol. I hope this makes a bit of sense and I'm sure that if I missed anything important or remembered something wrong people will chime in to correct me.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Make two save slots that are a several in-game days apart. Other than that, I think Tactics is a game best enjoyed blind. You'll find out your favorite characters and classes organically like we all did. Just go with the flow and look up guides for very specific questions (such as unlocking classes) if you really feel you need to.

OP
OP
DarthKamen

DarthKamen

Jun 22, 2023
There are many to list, but the biggest differences are larger maps (more "zoomed out" scale, if that makes sense). More units in your squad at one time. A little more emphasis on where you position units in a battle. Random stat increases when characters level up.

I like the character progression in FFT and TO a LOT more than FE. But FE does feel like you're playing with the full chess board rather than a subsection of it.

This probably borders on incoherent rambling lol. I hope this makes a bit of sense and I'm sure that if I missed anything important or remembered something wrong people will chime in to correct me.

Thank you both! I think this answers pretty well. One day I'll splurge on a Nintendo console to check them out.

Make two save slots that are a several in-game days apart. Other than that, I think Tactics is a game best enjoyed blind. You'll find out your favorite characters and classes organically like we all did. Just go with the flow and look up guides for very specific questions (such as unlocking classes) if you really feel you need to.
All I really want to know going in, can certain characters be missed permanently if I do something wrong?

Thanks OP, by purchasing and starting the original you have completed the ritual and the Tactics remaster will be announced and released imminently. Thank you for your sacrifice 🫡

Hahaha...yes, purchase.

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
I'm itching to play this again, but want it to count towards my idiotic quest to platinum every FF game, so I'm patiently waiting for the remaster.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
It's a bit janky at times, but it might be my favourite FF, even including the mainline titles. Having more than one save is mandatory, though. I had to restart the whole game because of a specific fight.

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
All I really want to know going in, can certain characters be missed permanently if I do something wrong?
I'll say this. Be a friendly, agreeable protagonist. People ask "can I join" and just say yes. There are technically a few missable characters so when new characters ask to be adventurous, just do it. Otherwise, there's a unique character that's good with engineering (it'll be obvious) and you don't want to ever dismiss him from your party as he'll ensure some other characters are obtained. Also if a cutscene asks you to spend a minuscule amount of money, spend it.

OP
OP
DarthKamen

DarthKamen

Jun 22, 2023
I'll say this. Be a friendly, agreeable protagonist. People ask "can I join" and just say yes. There are technically a few missable characters so when new characters ask to be adventurous, just do it. Otherwise, there's a unique character that's good with engineering (it'll be obvious) and you don't want to ever dismiss him from your party as he'll ensure some other characters are obtained. Also if a cutscene asks you to spend a minuscule amount of money, spend it.
I will keep that in mind then, thank you.

And thank everyone for the two saves recommendations. I've a bad habit of not doing that in the past.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Thank you for taking one for the team. Now once you finish the game, Square will announce the remaster/remake a few days later.

But, really, I hope you enjoy the game. It was my first Final Fantasy. A friend told me to "get final fantasy when you get your playstation", but he was referring to VII and I got Tactics. It wasn't the worst mistake of my life, but I was let down from what he described to me and what I played. Thankfully, it was a rental and not a full purchase. Ramza still remains in my top 3 FF protagonists. His relationship with Delita is top tier story telling. Love this game.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Btw I have also been replaying it recently, and I was surprised that the story still holds up even if it's infamously made a mess by the translation.

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
I started this on my Vita back in 2022 for the first time and was really enjoying it but once I got wind of a Remaster, I stopped playing plus I messed up my squad at the start of Chapter 2 and it made some fights afterwards almost impossible to beat.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017

The biggest difference is that FFT emphasizes character customization and theory-crafting over moment-to-moment tactical decisions. Maps tend to be pretty open and units have a high time-to-kill, so combat tends towards extended slugfests where party composition and character builds are what matters.

FE is the opposite, with much more limited character-building but much stronger emphasis on moment-to-moment tactics. Combat has a rock-paper-scissors logic where any unit can go down in just a few hits, so careful positioning and controlling enemy movement is critical.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
The only major thing I can add without straight up spoiling is to not buy too many extra "generic" units. As the game progresses, you start getting more and more "named" units who fill specific niches, and sooner or later you're just going to run out of space if you have too many generics. Two or 3 generic units are fine until you start building your ranks up.

Also, since nobody has really mentioned it in this thread yet, keep a strong eye on your Bravery/Faith numbers. Bravery in particular is important since the number is equal to the percentage in which all but a handful of Counter Reactions trigger (70 Brave = 70% trigger chance, etc). Faith is also important since the number helps determine how strong and accurate spells are. The higher the Faith, the more successful. The lower the Faith, the weaker the spell becomes (potentially dealing 0 damage). There are methods to manually raise/lower Brave + Faith (and Ramza himself will eventually learn a very powerful ability to self-raise Brave), and there are also outlier abilities that rely on inverse Brave/Faith values for success, but try not to worry about those too much in the early chapters.
you unlock him like when all the hard fights are already done though
yeah, he's really only as strong as your party is weak tbh

OP
OP
DarthKamen

DarthKamen

Jun 22, 2023
So far this really does feel like the perfect marriage of Tactics Ogre, FFV, and the PS1 Final Fantasy's. That's a winning formula for me.

It's amazing how immediately the job system clicks...once I understood how to use it.

bm1677

Oct 28, 2017
I just started a play through the other day, but haven't had much time to get very far. Lost an entire winter break growing up to FFTA and always wanted to give this one a go, but never got around to it. Might spur me to give the PSP and DS Tactics games a shot as well.

My dumb ass thought the first battle after the prologue was a required loss only to realize after getting a game over that you could add additional party members to the battle. Ooops. Might have to dust off the old GameFAQs and read up on some of the systems.

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
Don't listen to the people who tell you you need to grind - it's not true, at least most of the time. There are a couple of times where it might be needed , especially at the beginning, but by and large the game can be played linearly (and is more fun that way I think).
It has a dumb difficulty curve which is all over the place - really hard at the beginning, gets easier with randomly placed absurd difficulty spikes, and the last act is absurdly easy.
Enjoy ! It's a GOTF

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
The opening parts of the game can be quite hard, I would have multiple characters learn hi potion as soon as possible

It never really explains bravery and faith to you, for the most part you want high bravery for everyone. Faith varies, it increases how much magic damage you deal and receive and that includes healing

Don't listen to the people who tell you you need to grind - it's not true, at least most of the time. There are a couple of times where it might be needed , especially at the beginning, but by and large the game can be played linearly (and is more fun that way I think).
It has a dumb difficulty curve which is all over the place - really hard at the beginning, gets easier with randomly placed absurd difficulty spikes, and the last act is absurdly easy.
Enjoy ! It's a GOTF

You don't need to grind if you stick with a small number of characters for the whole game, you will to some extent if you want to have all the classes covered

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
So far this really does feel like the perfect marriage of Tactics Ogre, FFV, and the PS1 Final Fantasy's. That's a winning formula for me.

It's amazing how immediately the job system clicks...once I understood how to use it.
Welcome to the party. I'd give anything to experience this game blind again, so I'll live vicariously through your thread instead haha

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Funny enough, I just finished this for the first time this past weekend. Like you, I was tired of waiting for this elusive remake and decided to go through the game on my Deck. Anyway, aside from some BS fights at the end, the game is an absolute triumph in world building and storytelling. I don't like it more than Tactics Orge Reborn, but it's damn close.

As for tips, other than keeping multiple saves (seriously, some of those endgame fights are brutal), I'd suggest not wasting your time leveling up dozens of units. Your unit deployment numbers are always pretty low, and I found myself using the same units over and over by the end of chapter 2.

Oct 25, 2017
It does have the problem where once you're about a quarter of the way through the game, your team's power is gonna start exponentially outleveling the content and all challenge completely disappears.
I'm curious if the remaster will address this.
Tactics Ogre got a ton of rebalancing I hear.

ReticentRobot

Apr 16, 2021
I've started the Android version a few times and put it down quickly, not because it was bad - but that I just don't game on my phone much. I'm hoping that the remake/remaster does indeed come out this year - and that it isn't on PS only, so I'll finally get around to playing it.

Kerwop

Dec 15, 2017
To get past the infamous choke point you have to make sure your Ramza can handle himself well without support from the rest of your team. It's been a while since I last played through the game, but I think I usually make Ramza a monk until I pass that point since they're pretty versatile for 1v1 situations

Rolento

Oct 25, 2017
Take time to do side stuff, it's almost always beneficial or you get a new troop with unique skills/job.

OP
OP
DarthKamen

DarthKamen

Jun 22, 2023
God Dorter Slums feels like such a difficulty spike. Everyone dies so fast, and I don't see a way to get any better armor right now than what's in the Gariland shop.

Is this one of those times I just need to grind?

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
God Dorter Slums feels like such a difficulty spike. Everyone dies so fast, and I don't see a way to get any better armor right now than what's in the Gariland shop.

Is this one of those times I just need to grind?

Those early fights come down to luck a lot of the time, that one is easy once the black mages are down, it's just hard to get at them without dying

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I wish there were more games like FFT and TO. It's odd but nothing really scratches the same itch for me, the closest being maybe classic FE games (which I love! but they're very different).

Great combat + great tone + great pacing + great music + beautiful pixel art.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I wish there were more games like FFT and TO. It's odd but nothing really scratches the same itch for me, the closest being maybe classic FE games (which I love! but they're very different).

Great combat + great tone + great pacing + great music + beautiful pixel art.
The pixel art part makes it hard as that up and died with the PS360Wii generation, while the PS1 and PS2 stuff that fits (Flight-Plan's catalogue) 99% wasn't localised. But you've got stuff like Berwick Saga (has a fan translation and is the last full release from the creator of Fire Emblem):

ad88b006dfbc2d339b2e3752d5c2e18408e2a42cv2_hq.jpg

tenor.gif