Trago

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, my fist console, and my fist game for that console, the beastly Air Combat!

180635-air-combat-playstation-front-cover.png

catvonpee

Oct 29, 2017
First one I played or saw was Battle Arena Toshinden or Resident Evil. I can't remember what one I saw first.

Oct 27, 2017
I know I can play Ps1 games on one of my two ps2 slims, my ps3 too but I can't fight the feeling of wanting to buy an original unit and play them all over again on original hardware

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
First games I played on PS1 as best as I can remember. Played on a neighborhood friend's PS1, and as well my mom's then boyfriend who both had it around launch. Didn't get my own PS1 until late 1997.

Ridge Racer
Battle Arena Toshinden
Tekken
Warhawk
Jumping Flash
Twisted Metal
X-Com
1Xtreme
Based Loaded 96'
Novastorm
Doom

Oct 29, 2017
Paris
I had the original japanese version a few months before it came out in Europe. And off course, i had it with Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidddddddddddddggggggge Raaaacer! Then Motor Toon, Jumping Flash and Tekken.

53211-Ridge_Racer_(J)-2.jpg

Between the PSX, the Neo Geo and the Saturn, it was glorious!

DisturbedSwan

Oct 25, 2017
Hampshire, UK.
My parents rented me one from a Video store before I actually ended up getting one years later.

I probably played the original Time Crisis as my first PS game, possibly Point Blank, Tekken or Wipeout. I can't remember.

The first game I played when I eventually got my console years later was Crash Bandicoot.

GUNGRAVE_NYC

Nov 4, 2017
took me a while too get a ps1, around 1998 Christmas, got NFS3 and Crash Bandicoot.

811RidAPpKL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

user__

Oct 25, 2017
It was 1997. My first two games, bought with the console, were Gran Turismo and Final Fantasy 7. The console, an scph 1001, was used and probably already busted when I got it. It didn't survived that summer. It was the worst piece of junk I ever bought, but I was happy like a child.

Ryu bogard

Nov 23, 2017
I got mine later and I sold my sega saturn to get money for it. The games I really wanted to play back then were street fighter ex and final fantasy 7. So those were my first games on the system.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
When I was 4 or 5 my dad brought home a PS1 and we would play the Crash games, Tekken 3, Rayman, and Poy Poy.

Mr Delabee

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Oh another thing I absolutely miss about PS1 and CD's generally was be awesome printed disc artwork that you got on some games.

Always remember this one.

2503052-sony-ps1-game-ridge-racer-revolution-0.jpg

Did anyone have any favourite printed disc artwork?

TLZ

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I bought Captain Tsubasa J months before I bought my PS1. This was the first and last time I buy a game first before the console. I knew nothing of the PS1 TBH and I just wanted to play that game. It made me buy the PS1. I think it was 94 or 95.

My PS1 came with a demo disc that had cool games like espn extreme sports, loaded, wipeout, jumping flash, destruction derby etc. These games made me for the first time play games that I thought looked realstisc and was something different for me. Showed what the system was capable of and what the future looked like.

Imo this practice should make a return at least having tech demos of upcoming games on a disc or have all of them ready on the store day 1. I'd defo like a disc though.

sugarmonkey

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
cover_large.jpg

This may have been the first, but Silent Hill will always be the best for me. Stayed up all night with a buddy playing it, scared the crap out of us.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
Got mine about 6 months mths after the UK release on an insurance claim as our house had been broken into.

Tekken, Ridge Racer & WipEout, but it was the demos for Tomb Raider & MGS that really stick out in my mind.

Raidou

Oct 25, 2017
This and Final Fantasy VII were the first games i played.

It's funny that both series have almost the same number of main games now.

Eus77YR.jpg

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Ridge Racer and ESPN Extreme Games. I spent a ton of time with the Extreme Games for whatever reason. Looking at videos now, it appears to be a mediocre games at best. But I enjoyed the hell out of it back then.

Deleted member 33744

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 19, 2017
#プレイステーションの日 means "PlayStation's Day", some good japanese stuff on the hashtag as usual.

My first game was Rayman in 1995 on a store. I think "this is nice, but this is gonna be another failure as the 3DO".

I was so, so wrong.

Got my PS on 1997. My country is Chile, so most people didn't have one until at least 2000/2001. I was so, so lucky at the time.

Fellow Chilean! I'm pretty sure you must've been one of the first people to own one over here, I was born in '96 but I remember the PS1 being huge in the early 00's, most people only had the SNES back in 1997 (so I've been told).

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I finally bought it when Final Fantasy VII demo came out. I think I grabbed Tekken 2 and Tomb Raider 1 with it. I am fairly certain I grabbed some other games but don't remember which exactly.

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
My parents couldn't afford a game (or memory card) when we bought a PS1, so I just played the demo disc over and over during the holiday. I remember it has some awesome demos in there like Spyro, Soul Reaver, Medievil, Gran Turismo, and MGS.

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
Hot Pursuit was fucking incredible. Hands down my favorite NFS game.
+1 there is really no competition.

And that's against games like High Stakes and Hot Pursuit 2 which are also great

@ thread my literal first game was FF VII on PS1.

We had rented a PS1 and the game was FF VII. The console was beautiful enough, so was the 3 disc case.

Never looked back since. What an experience. I still remember the first days with the console, where it was, how it felt, the TV I played it on (Sony Trinitron which we still have).

Still remember even the demo discs. There will never, ever be an experience of amazement like that again moving into 3D gaming with such a grandiose game for the first time.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
I cannot remember the first game I played, but it was in 1995. I played most of the big early games. To me when I think first PSX game it's Tekken though, since I played the arcade version a decent amount before the console came to America.

BenRoderick

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Fun fact: The "1, 2, 3! 1, 2, 3!" are the words of the three Japanese pre-launch PlayStation commercials back in 1994.
Anyway, my first game is probably Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back because I remember there was a Coco Bandicoot level in this game.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
I had a SNES and then the N64 (shared with my brother), sadly I missed the PS1 back in the day, when my father went to buy the console he almost got the PS1 but my brother cried he wanted the N64 and that's it,
earliest memories of me playing it were probably late for the PS1, I think Gran Turismo 2, Tony Hawk 2 on a friend's house...
I also was gifted a PS1 in 99 or 2000, but it was the wrong color system, I used it to play MGS1 (years later when I had a TV with support for PAL), still have it and it works great (the dual shock is not 100%)

Doctrine Dark

Nov 13, 2017
ps1_twisted_metal_2_p_gddcf5.jpg

My very first PS1 game. I was so hyped just going around creating havoc. This game had so much craziness taking place all at once and I could not get enough of it.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
First games I got were 2xtreme and Darkstalkers (with the long cardboard case!)

PS1 was my first console all my own and favorite. Thought 2xtreme was garbage at an early age and hated it haha. Brother chose a game and I chose one (Darkstalkers) but man it was so hard. Spent my first 5 or so months just playing the demo disc, these two games and some rentals. Soon after moved on to Twisted Metal 2 and eventually RPGs!

Friend in the next school year always talked about RPG's but I never had money for them (4th grade and family was not exactly doing well at the time) but got Street Fighter Alpha and Final Fantasy 7 some time later. It had not dawned on me that FF7 and Pokemon were the same genre but I remember my thinking being "omg it took forever to get out of midgard, I have to be close to the end!" haha. Doubled down on RPG's then and basically my remaining PS1 collection is 95% RPGs. As a kid in a poor family I needed to make games last and these definitely took a long time to beat!

Dad never understood my love for them though, only getting a handful of action games for himself lol.