El Crono

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
I have a lot of good PlayStation memories, but the most important and relevant is the first one: I will never forget the day a friend showed me the demo for Final Fantasy VII. That day I became a PS fan.

megashock5

Oct 27, 2017
Powell, Ohio
Interviewing at a design agency. The guy took me in the break room where they had one hooked up. He held up WipEout and asked if I'd seen it.
I hadn't so he booted it up.

Graphic design, music, and video games all wrapped up in one package. I needed it, but I was still in school and planning a wedding.

Not long after graduation and the wedding I caved and bought one. There were other awesome games, but that's what sold me.

VirtuaModel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Croc: Legend of the Gobbos. I got it, Marvel Super Heroes, and another game along with the PlayStation console for Christmas 1997. I was 9 years old.

BcWNXPl.jpg

My brother got Triple Play '98, NBA Live '98, and Madden '98.

Abdiel

Oct 28, 2017
My first game on PlayStation was final fantasy viii, my friend introduced me to jrpgs. It blew me away. I was hooked. I'd be at his house and we'd be up playing all night. When ix came out, I would play chocobo hot and cold until the sun came up. I still hum vammo Dr flamenco to myself all the damn time. Amazing games.

Played chrono trigger for the first time on ps one as well, with the anime scenes. Blew my damn mind.

jblanco

Oct 27, 2017
Leaving Midgar for the first time... OH MY GOD. My child brain was absolutely blown away. PS1 BABY!!!!
Qc8h2Ncl.png

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
From a launch perspective, I still remember that I spent more time playing ESPN Extreme Games than any other games. It really had nothing in common with the actual X Games except for the branding. It played more like Road Rage in the sense that you were constantly trying to knock competitors off bikes, skates, skateboards etc. It's probably aged terribly, but I remember having a lot of fun with it back then.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, what a system. Until PS1, I had only own the Game Boy, SNES and N64. I was a Nintendo boy. Then I got a PS1, man...what a system. Played stuff like Crash Bandicoot 1-3, Fighting Force, Smackdown, Rug Rats, Crash Team Racing, Champions League and Rayman.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
PS1 is still my gaming utopia, and probably the best overall generation or console ever in my opinion. So many memories, more than I can ever put down. One big one was I remember I got my PS1 and Suikoden 1 in December of 96, but I didn't get a memory card because I didn't know I needed one and I was a child who didn't pay attention to things like that.

So fast forward to me playing like 10 hours straight and then turning it off and waking up the next day to no saved progress lol. So I told my dad who said he would go get one in a couple of days when he had time. I had to keep my PS on for 3 days straight while playing, and damn near beat the game without ever turning it off, finally got the card and all was right in the world. I was so afraid my cat would somehow open the lid or turn it off haha.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
I've lost count of the amount of times I've played through MGS. I was blown away even just playing the demo before it came out.

OP
OP
asmith906

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone remember Grind Session.

I honestly loved it just as much as the Tony Hawk games

It had an amazing soundtrack

s-l300.jpg

Aug 30, 2020
I was literally replaying Warhawk last night.

My favorite memories are renting a PS1 for the first time, renting it again, and getting it for Christmas with some games - WipEout, Warhawk, Jumping Flash, Toshinden.

It felt completely impossible, incredibly luxurious, having this system that could do 3D graphics like the arcades.

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Playing tekken and Resident Evil on my birthday. We cringed everytime we cracked an arm in Tekken by grappling because it sounded so lifelike. We shat our pants playing resi because it was too scary for our young minds and we shouted from the window to who ever left first just to make them more scared on the way home. Oh and playing loads and loads of demos from magazines. Playing through FFVII-IX and printing the world maps on several A4's, sticking them to my wall and checking off visited areas.

Deleted member 23068

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Amazing part of my childhood. Two weeks after launch in Australia we got the console with PGA Golf 96 (my Dad wanted it) and Tekken. It was amazing to play Tekken at home after playing it in the arcades. Truly mind-blowing at the time.

It holds a special place in my heart. I have so much nostalgia for it. Pretty crazy to think at the time the console was around $700 AUD from memory.

Oct 27, 2017
Best memories? Crash Bandicoot 1-3, Final Fantasy VII, Silent Hill and Nightmare Creatures, probably. Also splitscreen multiplayer Quake II. The demo discs were amazing back then too.

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
I was playing through FF7 when my grandmother died and I got to the city of the ancients the evening after her funeral.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Was in a local junk/second hand type shop seeing what Mega Drive games they had and this was playing on a demo TV. I spent god knows how long watching it over and over.

Other than that, remembering how insanely prolific and consistent late '90s-early 2000's Squaresoft was.

I probably played 100s of hours of Soul Blade and unlocked every single weapon in that game. It was fantastic. Then Dreamcast came out with SoulCalibur and absolutely melted my face off.

PS1 was definitely my least favorite platform that generation - I thought N64 and Saturn had more games that spoke to my personal tastes - and I still do think that. But PS1 was certainly the platform that had something for everyone. The library was massive and every genre was well represented.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Most of my PS1 memories were from the PSone revision that would release five years later. THPS2, Chrono Cross, FFIX, Gran Turismo 2...

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
25 years... Jesus H that is some wild shit.

You realize in your head that yeah I'm in my 30's now and stuff like Playstation 1 was decades ago but you don't quite fathom it until you sit down and really go over it. I had Nintendo in my house and thats just the way it was so it's not like I noticed the difference, some friends had sega, one friend has playstation and it was always mind blowing in that "what planet am I on?" when you played their games.

I got a playstation from my friend so I could play Dragon Warrior 7 which was 20 years ago just back in August, and played it for stuff like that and Arc the Lad but otherwise was never really deep into the eco system. But I remember how cool it was to play and experience different kinds of games and titles.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
FF7 was the first game I played on it.... never been more wow'd by a game

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Many but one that stands out was Wipeout. One of my best gaming experiences ever especially because I had just moved from England and was huge into electronic music. It's still one of my favorite series ever and if I don't see a brand new one for PS5, with PSVR support, I will fuck somebody up.

stephbm6

Jun 30, 2019
Salt Lake City, Utah
I bought it on launch day. I bought it at Software Ect. with a memory card with MK3, Rayman, The Raiden Project, Battle Arena Toshinden and ESPN Extreme Games. Such great memories.

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
Must have been August '96 when I got my PlayStation. Had little idea what I was getting as I'd never bought a console before. I had an Amiga 1200 and a Spectrum before that.
Got two games. Loaded and Wipeout. I think they were on sale. My next two purchases though..Resident Evil and Tekken 2.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
Playing all of the demo discs that we had around the house were some of my best childhood memories! Still remember playing through the first forest on Jade Cocoon and falling in love. So many great games that have become forgotten over time. I need more Future Cop LAPD and Gex.

devilmuzik

Oct 27, 2017
For me it's sitting up all night with a copy of the short-lived MAXIMUM magazine, learning all the moves for Tekken 2 including Nina and King's multi-part throws.

But Square's run of PS1 games is still a revelation to me in their diversity and quality. Even the lesser ones had moments of genius. I can't imagine we'll ever see a list like this released in such a short space of time ever again:

Final Fantasy VII
Bushido Blade
Tobal 2
Einhänder
Final Fantasy Tactics
Xenogears
Bushido Blade 2
Parasite Eve
Chrono Trigger
Chrono Cross
Brave Fencer Musashi
iS – internal section
Parasite Eve II
Final Fantasy VIII
Vagrant Story
Final Fantasy IX

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I actually rented the PS1 and tried the twist controller for Ridge Racer. Was blown away (not by the controller but the hardware) and bought my own system about a month later. Had so much fun playing Destruction Derby and ESPN Sports.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't even know where to begin. Beautiful but flawed hardware, exceptional software that rivals the SNES in terms of quantity and quality, the greatest hits pricing, the marketing.

The industry needed a kick in the pants as Sega, for whatever-fucking-reason, was going into self destruct mode, and Nintendo obsessively trying to control and bend the industry to their whims while not listening to the wishes of 3rd parties, all the while sacrificing Japan and it's incredible bevy of quality software.

Before US launch, playing an import PlayStation 1 and Battle Arena Toshinden for the first time at a gaming store in St. Catharines Ontario called High Score was a very cool experience. We put the system thru the ringer, we were allowed to pick it up, check it out, and it was awesome. Salute to an incredible milestone in our industry.

JooJ

Oct 27, 2017
So many fond memories. Seeing RE for the first time was mind blowing. You can only understand what it was like if you were a kid in the 90s seeing 3d for the first time, it was like entering a new dimension.

I played pretty much every main game and lots os lesser ones, my dad would buy me new games evey time I made him a list.

So much nostalgia, I feel glad to remember but also tearing up in a sad way as so many things are gone now and nothing has the same feel anymore.

tiebreaker

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Skipping class to play Saiyuki: Journey to the West.

A bunch of Winning Eleven matches

Harvest Moon

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
I bought a Saturn the summer of 1995. Exciting times until magazines stopped running previews for any games I wanted and the depressing envy I had reading the PSX coverage. I had ok times playing some multiplayer titles at friends' houses, but I could only afford another system until I was 15 the summer of 1998. Granted, that fall was the greatest ever in gaming so it worked out in the end.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
My least favorite memory was having my launch day system die after less than three hours and then waiting two weeks to replace it from the retailer.

It was pretty good after that other than needing to play it upside down after a few years.

OP
OP
asmith906

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
My least favorite memory was having my launch day system die after less than three hours and then waiting two weeks to replace it from the retailer.

It was pretty good after that other than needing to play it upside down after a few years.
I wish I had known about the upside down trick back in the day. When finally got a ps2 my dad gave me the ps1. Shortly after I had it the system stopped reading discs si we threw it away.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Having one of my older brothers come home with the PS1 and Resident Evil. We played it non stop over that weekend. Final Fantasy VII with my younger brothers over Christmas break at our dad's house is another great memory. Numerous other great memories, but those would be my top 2.