Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020
dGkxESG.png

Source: https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/pdf/23q4_supplement.pdf

dfSZqBx.png

gundalf

May 6, 2022
If it wasn't for the chip shortage the PS5 would be today at 63-65 mil. units sold, how unfortunate.
Still great numbers for such an expensive, bulky and weird looking console.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Hopefully they can find a way to get the price down before the PS5 Pro launches. Ideally they'd introduce PS5 Pro at the current PS5 Slim price, and then knock $100 off the latter. Hard to know if that's possible at this time, though. I know the margins are razor-thin for them at the moment.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Trailing only slightly behind the PS4 while being more expensive.

And also most games being cross-gen and the number of games being less too than on PS4. I say PS5 is doing well considering the epidemic and the shortages back then and now continuing. No wonder Sony is doing a PS5 Pro cus they are sure it will seel decent numbers.

Pheonix Will

Sep 6, 2021
Interesting to see what first party games they announce - alongside GTA6 next year it should be one hell of a year.

Dust

C H A O S
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Should clear 100m LTD.
PS5Pro + GTA VI could be absolutely massive but GTA VI cannot catch a delay...which I suspect might happen.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully they can find a way to get the price down before the PS5 Pro launches. Ideally they'd introduce PS5 Pro at the current PS5 Slim price, and then knock $100 off the latter. Hard to know if that's possible at this time, though. I know the margins are razor-thin for them at the moment.

I think GTA VI will get many people to buy a console.

I know it's kind of biased but in my immediate circle more people are waiting for GTA VI to buy a PS5 than people who already bought one. It was the same since the 360. GTA V and Red Dead 2 did the trick.

Mung

Nov 2, 2017
Really great sales, especially considering the head winds over the last few years.

dusan

Aug 2, 2020
They did a extraordinary job with weaker exclusives compared to older gens. A big showcase with stronger lineup (hopefully) and Pro boost will fire the ballistics.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully they manage to cut the price of the PS5.

Still expensive for most people

How is PS5 Digital selling?

Cause I wonder, even if you drop Digital by 100 and the regular PS5 by 100, would that do much? Granted it would be an insane price cut, but you'd almost have to think they would need to drop the regular PS5 to $300 to make a big swing happen.

OP
OP
Red Kong XIX

Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020
Hopefully they manage to cut the price of the PS5.

Still expensive for most people

They forecast 18m units next year, so roughly ~77m LTD. For comparison, PS4 was at 79m LTD at that point. Not sure if there will be a significant price cut if they again don't expect to overtake PS4 launch aligned. Maybe a small one. Or maybe they made a more conservative forecast this time compared to last FY.
Since the PS5 will probably have a longer cycle than the PS4 (7 vs 8 years), I guess selling as much as the last system still could work out to ultimately overtake it.

Doctor Avatar

Banned
Jan 10, 2019
GTA VI is going to push huge numbers of consoles. If they're roughly matching PS4 then the PS5 will likely exceed it in sales with the GTA boost.

Baobab

Feb 4, 2021
Sony is projecting to sell 18 million consoles next year.
PS4 sold 19 million consoles lauched alligned.
So sony is not expecting to reach PS4 but to lose ground to it. GTA VI beeing there or not.
PS5 will be here longer then PS4 so it will probably sell a little more at the end.

Last edited:

St. Eam the 3rd

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 18, 2022
18m is a nice soft decline after peak year, I think price cut is out of the question so that is all Pro doing the heavy lifting there, will fall 2m behind ps4 which is quite good imo.
What was the FY next to this one for PS4(not the 19m, the one after)

bitcloudrzr

Banned
May 31, 2018
So sony is not expecting to reach PS4 but to lose ground to it. GTA VI beeing there or not.
PS5 will be here longer then PS4 so it will rpobably sell a little more at the end.
They are projecting declines relative to what a gen would be like. It would be very difficult to bake in projections of a third party game, even one as big as GTA and even if they had the marketing exclusive.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
This is excellent news tbh - yes, it's not a growth from PS4s install base but being in the financially hard time that we are, basically falling behind only 1-2 million while being a lot more expensive speaks to the brands strength.
Pity that it's being framed as a failure.

I would say the biggest problem for Playstation is that launch aligned, gaming budgets for AAA games have gone up significantly while install base hasn't so exclusive support is becoming much harder to sustain.

Baobab

Feb 4, 2021
They are projecting declines relative to what a gen would be like. It would be very difficult to bake in projections of a third party game, even one as big as GTA and even if they had the marketing exclusive.
A projection is indeed an estimate based on much more data then a historical trends i hope, no need to specify that in a thread about financial projections and fiscal prospects of a multinational giant like sony.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
PS5 will be here longer then PS4 so it will rpobably sell a little more at the end.

I don't expect the forecast to get bumped up to 19 the way ps4's did, but I do find it interesting they both had initial 18m forecasts for their corresponding years

I thought PS5 did much better than PS4. My fault.

You might be thinking of US numbers, where it is ahead a good amount so far

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That's a great number for a $500 console (or $550? I don't know), but some people talk about it like a failure.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
That's a great number for a $500 console (or $550? I don't know), but some people talk about it like a failure.
Some of that is on Sony, though. When you revise your projection and then still fail to hit it, that's not a good look. Sony themselves told people to expect them to sell more PS5s than they did.

Is the console as a whole a failure? Of course not. Is the post-shortage demand for it as strong as Sony initially expected? It doesn't look like it.

It's doing okay. They need more games, and that $399 Digital Edition Spider-Man bundle they were selling in March to try to boost their numbers really should be a permanent base SKU.

bitcloudrzr

Banned
May 31, 2018
A projection is indeed an estimate based on much more data then a historical trends i hope, no need to specify that in a thread about financial projections and fiscal prospects of a multinational giant like sony.
We do not even know if GTA6 is going to be this fy or not, which was your assumption.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Compared to a similar time last gen.
What the comparison of PS5 + Xbox Series and PS4 + Xbox One?

Is the addressable market getting smaller in consoles?

What's been the comparable rise in the PC market?

Was thinking how just from a CPU power perspective. The Apple M1 was like 30% faster than Zen 2. The M4 in the iPad seems to have done that again Vs Zen4

Qualcomm is launching ARM CPUs for laptops in a couple of months that's competitive.

AMD 7900x:

ASRock X670E Pro RS - Geekbench

Benchmark results for an ASRock X670E Pro RS with an AMD Ryzen 9 7900X processor.
M4 iPad:

iPad16,6 - Geekbench

Benchmark results for an iPad16,6 with an ARM processor.

If people are not buying consoles.
Then people's phones are starting to get powerful enough to run full games.

Consider how much of the PC games library could run on an iPhone if Resident Evil 4 remake can run on one. And there's efforts for a Proton like tool for arm.

I think the next stage for games is that the entrypoint can be buying a controller, and plugging your phone into a TV with HDMI out.

It'll significantly drive down the cost of entry
But we need to get to this point ASAP.

Last edited:

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Compared to a similar time last gen.
What the comparison of PS5 + Xbox Series and PS4 + Xbox One?

Is the addressable market getting smaller in consoles?

What's been the comparable rise in the PC market?

Was thinking how just from a CPU power perspective. The Apple M1 was like 30% faster than Zen 2. The M4 in the iPad seems to have done that again Vs Zen4

Qualcomm is launching ARM CPUs for laptops in a couple of months that's competitive.

AMD 7900x:

ASRock X670E Pro RS - Geekbench

Benchmark results for an ASRock X670E Pro RS with an AMD Ryzen 9 7900X processor.
M4 iPad:

iPad16,6 - Geekbench

Benchmark results for an iPad16,6 with an ARM processor.

If people are not buying consoles.
Then people's phones are starting to get powerful enough to run full games.

Consider how much of the PC games library could run on an iPhone if Resident Evil 4 remake can run on one. And there's efforts for a Proton like tool for arm.

I think the next stage for games is that the entrypoint can be buying a controller, and plugging your phone into a TV with HDMI out.

It'll significantly drive down the cost of entry.
Xbox Series is behind Xbox One, so yeah, the PS+Xbox market is shrinking