• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
www.gamesindustry.biz

PlayStation 5 sales jumped 75% in the UK after price cut

The console is the UK's most popular this year
PlayStation 5 sales jumped 75% in the UK last week, Gfk has revealed.

It follows the first temporary price drop for Sony's console, with retailers selling the machine for as low as £399. Some bundles from the likes of Amazon and GAME also included a game, with titles such as LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga, Forspoken and Saints Row available. The price cut is temporary, with the console set to rise back to its previous cost later this month.

It's worth noting that unofficial pricing activity around PS5 kicked off in June in the UK. The average price of the console was £423 last week, which is actually only 6% lower than the week before when it was £451.

PS5 revenue is up 63% week-on-week, GfK reveals.

The Standard PS5 console was the biggest winner with sales up 205% in units and 162% in revenue (average selling price went from £491 to £421). This version of the console accounted for 73% of sales. The price cut played a big part in that, but GfK says that unofficial retail bundles featuring , LEGO Star Wars and Gran Turismo 7 were also popular.

Overall, last week was the third best week of the year for PS5. The console delivered a strong February driven by a God of War Ragnarok hardware bundle.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
Good - £450-500 is too high psychologically IMO. They'd be sold out the entire gen at a lower price if they were willing to razors and blades it a bit more.

Michilin

Nov 14, 2017
User Warned: Platform warring
Goddamn Xbox is even more cooked, they're already losing so much on Series X that I doubt they could do something similar there. Sony is going for the jugular

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
And there's an even more expensive pro model round the corner. I doubt we'd even be seeing price cuts if that wasn't coming

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
If the PS5 needed a price increase to justify a price drop, I think the PS5 Pro will determine Sony Corporation decision to price the PS6.
Make sure you vote with your purchase.

shadowman16

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hardly surprising. I mean, I remember how people started jumping on the PS3 after its slim revision/price drop, so makes sense that the same happened here. Even after they raised the darn price lol.

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
I'm bummed that I bought one during the highest price point. Every other console I've waited a year or two for that first price dip, but instead it went up, and then I wanted to get one in time for SF6 and FFVI.

Oddhouse

Oct 31, 2017
Getting close to the Xbox S.

That's aggressive pricing from Sony.

I guess the flip side is game pass gives you all past and future first party MS games for the price of 1.5 PS5 games.

Oct 30, 2017
While it's likely a stock clearing move, I do think Sony values capturing market share right now over immediate hardware profits.

With publishers slipping away and major multiplatform games and studios leaving their platform, it's important to lock in customers now.

An aggressively priced PS5 slim with Spider-Man 2 is going to sell a boat load.

Dupr Dog

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 16, 2022
Is it a straight up price cut, or is it temporary?
They're trying to clear out as much stock as possible fore the slim model shows up later this year.

While it's likely a stock clearing move, I do think Sony values capturing market share right now over immediate hardware profits.

With publishers slipping away and major multiplatform games and studios leaving their platform, it's important to lock in customers now.

What major multiplatform games are leaving their platform?

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Getting close to the Xbox S.

That's aggressive pricing from Sony.

I guess the flip side is game pass gives you all past and future first party MS games for the price of 1.5 PS5 games.

GAME are actually running a pretty nice trade in promo also. Trade in a Series S and makes it £259.99 (with a game) or PS4 slim / Xbox One S makes it £299.99 etc etc. Good time to upgrade from an older system if you've been on the fence

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
I'd have thought it be more due to first price cut this gen. However it was probably still selling really well the week prior and well, is summer the time when lots will spend £400 on a console? Still impressive however.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
$399 for the new PS5 model. Do it Jimbo.
The funny thing is when there are discussions about the current PS5 price....the DE price gets forgotten, lol.

It wouldn't even be wild. I am hoping they repeat what they did with the PS4, PS4 Pro. Give the PS5 Pro the $499 price, base model gets a price cut.

Jul 2, 2021
The funny thing is when there are discussions about the current PS5 price....the DE price gets forgotten, lol.

It wouldn't even be wild. I am hoping they repeat what they did with the PS4, PS4 Pro. Give the PS5 Pro the $499 price, base model gets a price cut.
I know, right?
I mean the current price of the PS5 DE is $399. And it's cheaper for Sony to make the new model.
So $399 and 399€ (back to the original price) for the new model and $449 or $499 for the new model + disc drive module bundle should be the way to go.

Oct 30, 2017
They're trying to clear out as much stock as possible fore the slim model shows up later this year.

What major multiplatform games are leaving their platform?
We have already been aware of a number of games cancelled due to publisher buyouts. This will only increase and is a safe bet for Sony to act accordingly.

arrado

Jan 1, 2020
I just opened BOL.com (big online retailer from Netherlands), and on the home page I see the Series S 1TB available for preorder.
I still understand what Microsoft was thinking with that price of 349 euro. The value is so bad.

Meanwhile the same store currently sells a Series X Diablo bundle for 489 euro.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
We have already been aware of a number of games cancelled due to publisher buyouts. This will only increase and is a safe bet for Sony to act accordingly.

Like what?

CoD is still coming, that's all that matters in terms of sales.

I get what you are saying, just with how well the ps5 is going I don't think that is of Sonys upmost concern else they wouldnt have increased the price to begin with.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Well, yeah, not surprising. The prices are actually decent now. Been seeing most retailers offering both the console and a game for £400. Damn sight better than the price raised price they were trying to push before which was £479.99 with no game.

Also makes the Spiderman bundle look a complete joke of a price too.

LV-0504

Oct 6, 2022
This really isn't the factor you think it is.

I just opened BOL.com (big online retailer from Netherlands), and on the home page I see the Series S 1TB available for preorder.
I still understand what Microsoft was thinking with that price of 349 euro. The value is so bad.

Meanwhile the same store currently sells a Series X Diablo bundle for 489 euro.
Yea I don't know who that product is aimed at, the only way it would have made sense is if MS dropped the price of the standard Series S and brought this one in at the original price.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
I'm tempted to finally buy one, but with all the rumors about a soon to be released Slim model, it might be a better idea to wait, I guess.

Oct 30, 2017
Like what?

CoD is still coming, that's all that matters in terms of sales.

I get what you are saying, just with how well the ps5 is going I don't think that is of Sonys upmost concern else they wouldnt have increased the price to begin with.
Bethesda projects.

There will be more iterations of large franchises or historically multiplatform studios with new IPs that are likely to skip PlayStation.

And beside COD, nothing is off the table.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
I'd have thought it be more due to first price cut this gen. However it was probably still selling really well the week prior and well, is summer the time when lots will spend £400 on a console? Still impressive however.
Well the weather has been complete garbage throughout July in the UK, wettest July on record for some places. It's been closer to weather you'd expect in winter than July. So I'm actually not that surprised people might have stayed in and played games instead, lol.

LV-0504

Oct 6, 2022
I'm tempted to finally buy one, but with all the rumors about a soon to be released Slim model, it might be a better idea to wait, I guess.
Have we ever had any actual substantive reports that there will be a slim? I don't think the detachable drive model will be all that different to the current digital editon.

Well the weather has been complete garbage throughout July in the UK, wettest July on record for some places. It's been closer to weather you'd expect in winter than July. So I'm actually not that surprised people might have stayed in and played games instead, lol.
I could swear it hasn't stopped raining in Ireland since late May. Its insufferable at this point and I thought I was used to rain.

Oct 27, 2017
Have we ever had any actual substantive reports that there will be a slim? I don't think the detachable drive model will be all that different to the current digital editon.
No, I don't believe so, Tom Henderson revealed a detachable drive unit but hasn't confirmed that this same unit will actually be smaller.

Copilot

Jun 27, 2023
Goddamn Xbox is even more cooked, they're already losing so much on Series X that I doubt they could do something similar there. Sony is going for the jugular
I wonder how Sony can reduce the costs of PS5 and Microsoft can't reduce the costs of Xbox Series X|S. Something is not right here. Playstation out engineered Xbox again, like the previous gen.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
I wonder how Sony can reduce the costs of PS5 and Microsoft can't reduce the costs of Xbox Series X|S. Something is not right here. Playstation out engineered Xbox again, like the previous gen.
Well they are a hardware company. There is a reason why Mark Cerny is held in extremely high regard and Sony keeps contracting him.

Bethesda projects.

There will be more iterations of large franchises or historically multiplatform studios with new IPs that are likely to skip PlayStation.

And beside COD, nothing is off the table.

While these are concerns for sure, I don't tink Sony is reacting to them, they would have known Starfield was exclusive for ages, its not like the FTC meeting would have been a shock to them to find out they weren't getting Bethesda games. I just don't think its the primary reason for the price drops, or even a mior reason. We know they are releasing a new model, and this is what usually happens when a new model is coming out.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
They just increased the price of the XSX as well.

I'm not sure, to be honest. People keep mentioning it here on Era.
Many of us are just calling it a Slim even if it may not be a slimmer system.

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017
With neither of them really wanting to compete temp price cuts will be the standard way for the future. Price cuts mostly fizzle out after a few months anyway, while temp price cuts create extra demand.

Oct 25, 2017
No, I don't believe so, Tom Henderson revealed a detachable drive unit but hasn't confirmed that this same unit will actually be smaller.

I feel the shorthand for it recently just became "slim", for no other reason then it's what we are used to new models being. Some people will probably be disappointed when it's essentially just the same look