• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I had Mile Morales on the pause for a while when suddenly I noticed that the screen was glitching out. I got a crash notice from Sony and submitted a report, but after I came out of the game I noticed that the glitch was still happening.

Similar stuff to this have had happened before a couple of times to a way lesser degree (screen flickering a bit) in some other instances and every time when I unplugged the HDMI and plugged it back in (either on TV side or the back of PS5), it would be fixed. But this time it's happening much more extremely and reconnecting HDMI isn't fixing it.

Here is a short video I took of the problem:

It's like this both in the games and in dashboard. I did a lot of stuff that was suggested (changing HDMI cable, changing the settings, restarting PS5, etc) none of them fixed my problem (I'm updating my TVs firmware as I'm writing this, which is going painfully slow). In fact, after I changed the settings, now it's telling me that my TV doesn't support HDR and won't let me activate that setting anymore. (I have a LG UH850V that definitely supports HDR, and I was using that before this whole thing happened)

So I was wondering, has anyone else encountered this problem? Do you guys know any fixes for this. It's driving me insane cause I live in middle east and there is no Sony warranty here so if it's faulty PS5 then I'm fucked.

kodax_shc

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Not sure this would have any impact but try rebuilding the database.

Maybe see if you can do a clean install of the system firmware. I am not totally sure if that is a thing though.

Oct 27, 2017
Iooks like it's hardware like it's loading something else then flickering back. Middle East has no Sony warranty?

OP
OP
Son of Sparda

Son of Sparda

Oct 25, 2017

Primeau31

Nov 18, 2017
Did you try adjusting the HDMI Bandwidth in the HDMI settings? Not sure if that would help even if you haven't, just thinking off the top of my head on all potential OSlevel adjustments that haven't been brought up yet.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
first i would try it with different monitor,tv with different hdmi cable to see if its still happening.
that video gives gpu problem vibes though.

Oct 27, 2017
Looking closer, I can't see that being tv or hdmi issue. The flickering is back to the baseball field on that is part of the intro. Like the other suggested maybe reformatting your drive?

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I've got a different LG TV but I had flickering with the PS5 until I turned off Live Plus in the TV settings

Heazy

IT Tech
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
London, UK
It sounds silly, but turn the console off and leave it for a minute then turn back on.

I downloaded and installed division 2 on PS5 and was getting screen tear and frame drops, until I switched the console on and off and then it was fine

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
I have seen this but only for a few seconds in-game and it never stuck around. Couple seconds and gone.

OP
OP
Son of Sparda

Son of Sparda

Oct 25, 2017
I rebuilt the database but still having the same problem.

I have tried different HDMI cables/ports and my TV is working with other devices without any problem.
I've got a different LG TV but I had flickering with the PS5 until I turned off Live Plus in the TV settings
Where can I do that?

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
I don't think that is a TV or HDMI problem.
I don't have the game, but i don't think that basketball court has to be in the menu screen, and a TV or HDMI problem can't display things that aren't there.

Pretty sure it is a problem with the game file, because a GPU can also only display something that is meant to be there.
Maybe in the worst case a SSD problem, but i don't think so.

Now the games are crashing as well
OP
OP
Son of Sparda

Son of Sparda

Oct 25, 2017
Well now I can't play any games. I try going into a game. The screen gets super glitchy. The game freezes for a sec and I get booted out with a something went wrong error asking me to submit a report.

OP
OP
Son of Sparda

Son of Sparda

Oct 25, 2017
General -> additional settings
Couldn't find that option there. Maybe my TV doesn't have that feature. I don't think it's a TV issue anymore since I'm getting crashes now when I'm trying to play games.

I'm gonna shut down the PS5, put it vertically (it's been horizontal thus far) and wait a couple of hours and see if that changes anything.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Couldn't find that option there. Maybe my TV doesn't have that feature. I don't think it's a TV issue anymore since I'm getting crashes now when I'm trying to play games.

I'm gonna shut down the PS5, put it vertically (it's been horizontal thus far) and wait a couple of hours and see if that changes anything.
How hot is the air coming out the back? For that matter is your room/house/area dusty much at all? I hate to generalize with your location, but there's a reasonable possibility the vents are being clogged and air flow isn't cooling the GPU properly.

OP
OP
Son of Sparda

Son of Sparda

Oct 25, 2017
How hot is the air coming out the back? For that matter is your room/house/area dusty much at all? I hate to generalize with your location, but there's a reasonable possibility the vents are being clogged and air flow isn't cooling the GPU properly.
It's not really dusty and the PS5 looks clean as well.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
I've had GPUs die doing stuff like that before.
I don't think there's a fix. It's a hardware issue.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
If there are no problems in the PS5 home screen, but with several games, i think the SSD game files get messed up or are messed up.
I would delete all games, and make a factory reset. Maybe that helps.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Eliminate any software issues first, so rebuild the DB, factory reset the system, reinstall the firmware, etc. If it's still going on after all that, contact Sony support.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Stuff like this sounds like bad GPU or RAM which means you might be shit outta luck without warranty.

OP
OP
Son of Sparda

Son of Sparda

Oct 25, 2017
Download latest firmware for fresh install. Fixed all my issues first day.
How can I do this?
I had the latest firmware and have both rebuild the database and did reset factory.

I should also say that the PS logo at the start isn't glitchy. But once I get into dashboard/profile selection it starts glitching out.

There might be some warranty from my local shop (fingers crossed)
OP
OP
Son of Sparda

Son of Sparda

Oct 25, 2017
I did the reset factory with the file on USB (last option in safe mode) and it's still having the same problem. It's even doing this in the safe mode.

I looked up the local website that I've bought the PS5 from, and while they didn't say they had a warranty for PS5 specifically, it seems like they have a 10 days warranty as a general rule for all the products they sell and it's only been week since I got my PS5 so here is hoping that I can send it back and get a new one.

I'll have to call them tomorrow and see how it goes. I'll post an update here later.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
I am receiving mine today. I hope I don't have these issues. Fingers crossed. And I hope your local shop can help you out there. Best of luck to you. Do you have the disc version ? Or the digital Edition ? Son of Sparda

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully you can return it. This looks like a faulty GPU causing these glitches.

OP
OP
Son of Sparda

Son of Sparda

Oct 25, 2017
I am receiving mine today. I hope I don't have these issues. Fingers crossed. And I hope your local shop can help you out there. Best of luck to you. Do you have the disc version ? Or the digital Edition ? Son of Sparda
Disk version. I hope yours isn't faulty. I found a thread on reddit with a bunch of people having the same issue so it's definitely not just a single case.

I called my local shop and after explaining the situation a bunch, the support person told me to call in 6 hours since he is not the one that handles this type of requests and those people work in the evening shift. Fingers crossed that they honor their warranty terms and I can send the PS5 back to them tomorrow.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Disk version. I hope yours isn't faulty. I found a thread on reddit with a bunch of people having the same issue so it's definitely not just a single case.

I called my local shop and after explaining the situation a bunch, the support person told me to call in 6 hours since he is not the one that handles this type of requests and those people work in the evening shift. Fingers crossed that they honor their warranty terms and I can send the PS5 back to them tomorrow.
Oh boy. That sounds bad. I hope yours can be fixed quickly. I will report if my unit has any issues when I receive it. What happened here Sony ? Bad Quality Management?

OP
OP
Son of Sparda

Son of Sparda

Oct 25, 2017
Oh boy. That sounds bad. I hope yours can be fixed quickly. I will report if my unit has any issues when I receive it. What happened here Sony ? Bad Quality Management?
Thanks. I hope so too.

No idea what they fucked up that resulted in faulty GPU units, but looks like at least there are a few PS5s with bad GPUs out there.

komaruR

Oct 28, 2017
http://www.twitch.tv/komarur
is your console overheating? somewhat look like what happen at a yt video with the guy unplugging the fan and playing spiderman for 15min. forgot what his channel is but he does the usual repair videos. like buying broken device and tries to repair it.

Called the shop, looks like they might honor the warranty
OP
OP
Son of Sparda

Son of Sparda

Oct 25, 2017
So I called the shop this evening and after some debate over the fact that they should count the 10 days warranty from the day that PS5 has been delivered to me and not the day I've ordered it (and asking me if my PS5 has a certain overseas shop logo on its box once I said the problem isn't repairable and they'd have to replace mine - and thankfully it did have that logo, since it sounded like they can send it back to that shop), they told me to send it back to them tomorrow and that they'll check my PS5 and if the problem wasn't on my side (physical damages, power outage related problems, etc) they'll either repair or replace it for me.

So fingers crossed that everything goes smoothly.
indeed. What is your manufacturing date ? I wonder if this can be an indicator too.
I tried looking at the manufacturing date earlier but didn't find anything under the PS5. Maybe I was looking at the wrong place. I've put everything back in the box now to get it ready for tomorrow.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like GPU failure at first glance, but if things are crashing, could possibly be memory, sending bad data around the system. Either way, it's definitely a hardware problem. Hope you can get it fixed!

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
So I called the shop this evening and after some debate over the fact that they should count the 10 days warranty from the day that PS5 has been delivered to me and not the day I've ordered it (and asking me if my PS5 has a certain overseas shop logo on its box once I said the problem isn't repairable and they'd have to replace mine - and thankfully it did have that logo, since it sounded like they can send it back to that shop), they told me to send it back to them tomorrow and that they'll check my PS5 and if the problem wasn't on my side (physical damages, power outage related problems, etc) they'll either repair or replace it for me.

So fingers crossed that everything goes smoothly.

I tried looking at the manufacturing date earlier but didn't find anything under the PS5. Maybe I was looking at the wrong place. I've put everything back in the box now to get it ready for tomorrow.
That sounds pretty good. I hope your repair goes by quickly. Got mine today and played a long session of Demon Souls. Didn't have any issues and no GPU glitches either. But I have to see if this keeps this way or if this changes. Got all the newest updates for it installed.

OP
OP
Son of Sparda

Son of Sparda

Oct 25, 2017
That sounds pretty good. I hope your repair goes by quickly. Got mine today and played a long session of Demon Souls. Didn't have any issues and no GPU glitches either. But I have to see if this keeps this way or if this changes. Got all the newest updates for it installed.
Thanks, and yea fingers crossed.

Congrats on getting your PS5. I hope you get years of enjoyment and fun out of it without any issues. Be sure to play Astorbot, it's really cool.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Thanks, and yea fingers crossed.

Congrats on getting your PS5. I hope you get years of enjoyment and fun out of it without any issues. Be sure to play Astorbot, it's really cool.
I wish you the best of luck. Keep us updated. I hope this will be sorted out quickly for you. And thanks. Pretty amazing tech wise. Everything is very smooth. Way different than the PlayStation 4. And thanks. Let's see how it will hold up. I will look into Astro Bot as well heard good things about it. Also got Ratchet and Clank for free because of Sony giving it out for free. Tried crash bandicoot 4 on PlayStation 5. buttery smooth.

PS5 finally sent back
OP
OP
Son of Sparda

Son of Sparda

Oct 25, 2017
After going through an insanely tedious process of verifying that I'm indeed sending a defect product back (that involved going to different buildings and departments around the city) and not trying to smuggle and sell a new working product to our capital under the disguise of a defect one (the joys living in the biggest port city in the country), I was finally able to process my shipment and send PS5 back.

Now I have to wait for a few days before it gets to their hands and they check it and hopefully replace it for me. Fingers crossed.

The shop got my PS5 and they are checking it
OP
OP
Son of Sparda

Son of Sparda

Oct 25, 2017
Quick update on the situation for anyone who might be curious. The shop finally got my PS5 back and now they are checking it to see what's the problem and if it's something that warrants a replacement.