• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Why post the boosted clock speed on the spec sheet? It'll never stay there. This sounds like PS4 all over in regards to it being a jet engine. 9 was the number all along and it looks like they just tried to push it higher after seeing 12 for the Series X.

dynamitejim

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like this "variable" qualifier. If it can't run at those clock speed 100% of the time then these specs are really misleading.

Edit: This thing seems like it's going to be horrendously bandwidth limited.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Interesting that the "headline" specs are similar (before you look at the numbers) for the two consoles, more so than the last time, but the design philosophies are very different.

EroticSushi

Oct 25, 2017
Spec list comparison from Series X + PS5.

Gh3bNQY.png

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I'm satisfied with that especially if $399. Just give me a date and let me pre order.

less concerned about power gap wirh xbox since LH May exist. Either way, can't wait to see what Sony first party does with 10TF, 8 cores 3.5Ghz, and SSD speeds

rabathehutch

Nov 1, 2017
Variable clock speeds is risky, could mean different people have a substantially different experience in the same game and will lead to either poorer cooling or louder fans.

Mr_DyZ

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 12, 2019
More than anything, this has me curious about Microsoft's lower end system they plan on releasing.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
the variable clock combined with that 2.25GHz.... hmmmm... I'm guessing it's less capable than those specs in real games, while MS showed fixed real world clocks.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
The PS5 is obviously going to sell more but if they are the same price i can see MS closing the gap quite a bit. If they are smart they are ramming money down EA, Activision and Take 2's throats for marketing rights on Fifa, Madden, COD, 2k etc in an attempt to gain market share outside of the US.
It will not be the same start as last gen. MS is coming to play ball this time.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
While if I wanted the better quality third party experience I'd certainly go for the Xbox Series X. They won't have God of War, Spider-Man, and the rumored Silent Hill, Metal Gear etc. So when those kinds of games are all available I'm going for the PS5. It's where the games I'm more interested in are at.

The XSX has everything going for it, apart from the games I want.

Genuinely not trying to sound like I a Sony fan-boy or trying to spark pro Sony rhetoric but that Konami rumor really tipped the scales for me!*

I just have to wait for those games to (1) Be exclusive and (2) Be real and (3) Get released before buying the console 😆

Stickman

Oct 27, 2017
So the power gap is roughly comparable the Pro vx X1X, maybe a little smaller. The big question mark now are the prices of these machines.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is why MS was making it clear that the console runs at peak clocks all the time. They knew.
Yes - seemed like such a weird thing to state from ms

... and seems like a panic move from sony.. it will never run@peak performance for long so basically that TF is not correct. In real life it is way lower

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
I hope someone gathers the responses from the so called insiders on the other site that have been pumping up specs for months. They gave so many era users false hopes.

Why the weird hard drive space?

I would hope it's because that's how much is available to users after the system takes its portion. If not then Sony is using binned chips with bad blocks and walling off the bad portions to save money.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
All those custom silicone and cooling for those high frequencies makes me think this and Series X are gonna be the same price
Yeah I just dont think they are saving cost here. MS made the simpler console actually. We will see how it works out in real world performance. At best it will be still worse.

Specs Comparison Chart
OP
OP

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
2Y44kqu.png

Here's a table of comparison for the specs.

Please note that hardware specs don't always mean that performance will be better, etc. There is a ton of behind the scenes, not on paper things developed for each respective system to perform at different thresholds.

Last edited:

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I wonder if the PS5 is actually going to end up cheaper than the XSX. I think theyre both going to be priced at 499, maybe 449 for the PS5? Dont think it can reach 399.

Also interesting that PS5 actually beats XSX in SSD

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Same as with Microsoft: what do I care, I want them games.
That'll decide which of the two I'll buy as my next home entertainment console to complement my Nintendo hybrid/handheld.

shadow2810

Oct 25, 2017
Sony will need to price the console lower than MS, SSD speed will be difficult to market to average customer, so about $399-450 seems right...

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Now start the years of storage device speeds.

We'll all miss the years of [insert thing that great game devs work with/around anyway].

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
The SSD along suggests it probably isn't.

This is what I mean. People are looking at the CPU and GPU numbers, which they don't really understand in the first place, and coming out with "weaker than the Xbox Series X, it better be 399". huh? Listening to the talk and reading the Eurogamer article, this is going to be a premium product for a premium price.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
The people saying "this is a 399 console", do you actually, genuinely even understand the specs that you're reading? Legitimate question, because these are sounding like hot takes. Especially when we don't know how much the Series X costs. This is still a premium piece of tech.

I definitely feel that these are hot takes, considering this an ERA thread for a new console. People are all over the place from what I've seen posted months ago lol.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
how can you expand your storage on a PS5, does it need to move games back and forth as you are playing them?

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
Yes - seemed like such a weird thing to state from ms

... and seems like a panic move from sony.. it will never run@peak performance for long so basically that TF is not correct. In real life it is way lower
Basically unless you have AC your performance may not be optimal depending on where you live.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny to see the discourse over what are practically identical machines. I am curious as to what the SSD difference translates into, of anything.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
oh fuck off sony...
well at least people who wants a 400 console can be happy now.

micrsoft won the hardware war, BRAVO phil.