• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
The GPU decode here is only for one optional mode, which adds a little extra lossless compression to BC7 textures, on top of the lossy RDO/Kraken BC7 compression which is decompressed in hardware on PS5.

You can see a comparison of what each additional step offers here: https://cbloomrants.blogspot.com/2020/06/oodle-texture-bc7prep-data-flow.html

Microsoft said Xbox Series X decompression hardware supports BCPack along with ZLib.

BCPack has been classed as a lossy RDO encoder, so is analogous to the lossy RDO/Kraken encoding/compression you can do with Oodle Texture's regular data flow, not with BCPrep.
I really need to set aside some time to digest all this. Are there any flowcharts/hierarchies/trees that show interrelations?

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
That is not something PS4 Pro has needed as for the most part Pro games are just PS4 games rendered at higher resolution but I don't see how assets enhancement couldn't be done as PS4 patching system supports.
8pfWaUI.jpg

Hardly. The post I replied to implies that is something unique to Smart Delivery.
sorry i dont mean you i meant their post.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft said Xbox Series X decompression hardware supports BCPack along with ZLib.
BCPack has been classed as a lossy RDO encoder, so is analogous to the lossy RDO/Kraken encoding/compression you can do with Oodle Texture's regular data flow, not with BCPrep.
MS has been needlessly cryptic here IMO, but you can rest assured that LZ is the major part of BCPack (after whatever RDO like loss generation and other work done to make DXT 'nicer' for LZ to deal with) it's not like it's completely different ASIC - just like Kraken is a LZ derivative and thus likely plays nicely with having ZLIB as a second option.
In that vein - it's almost a given BCPrep-like steps are ran ahead of LZ as well - there's been a compressor like that in XDX since 360 days.
And while this 'prep' copying bits around is a low-cost operation, having it in hw removes extra steps from the pipeline, and marketing gets to tag it with a cool name.

MS solution apparently involves automatically installing platform specific portions/builds.
That will require Developers to provide builds separated into platform specific portions - ie. it's less of a MS solution and more an extra burden on developers if it becomes a mandated thing.
But that brings me to want to rant about SKU/Patch mastering on console platforms and I really have nothing good to say about it, so I'll stop here.

I'm also interested if Sony update their system to work similarly to ensure PS5 Ssd gets to benefit from reduced asset duplication. I know they've already talked about breaking up packages by SP/MP or by levels. Maybe they have people manually choose that.
For cross-gen targets there's no way to automatically do this without requiring developers to have their data-authoring pipeline 'aware' of it (keep some sort of reference map for 'deduplication' if you were to install a legacy game and then optimize it down for SSD console). I suppose it could be made into TRC requirement if MS/Sony are feeling sadistic - but there's no tech wizardry that will make it work - it'll come at expense of developer time.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
MS has been needlessly cryptic here IMO, but you can rest assured that LZ is the major part of BCPack (after whatever RDO like loss generation and other work done to make DXT 'nicer' for LZ to deal with) it's not like it's completely different ASIC - just like Kraken is a LZ derivative and thus likely plays nicely with having ZLIB as a second option.

I was going to suggest that but didn't want to potentially poke a hornet's nest. But yeah, I also wonder if there's distinct 'bcpack' decompression hardware, distinct from the zlib hardware, or if bcpack encodes for zlib (in the same way crunch and oodle encode for lz).

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
I was going to suggest that but didn't want to potentially poke a hornet's nest. But yeah, I also wonder if there's distinct 'bcpack' decompression hardware, distinct from the zlib hardware, or if bcpack encodes for zlib (in the same way crunch and oodle encode for lz).
About 99% sure it's the latter. Nothing else would really make sense from throughput and methodology perspective - also evidenced by the fact state of the art methods for DXT encoding mostly rely on some lossless standard anyway. EVEN the likes of JPeg were built on top of a well established lossless codec - albeit the 'packing/RDO' process is a fair bit more involved there.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
This is only for BC7 which is intensive, which is what that part of the Twitter thread was about. Not required for BC1-6, which uses the hardware Kraken decompressor.

It's not required for BC7.

The bulk of - and all the lossy - compression for BC7 is achievable here with just the hw kraken decompressor.

You can optionally go for a little more extra compression with another tool they're offering, and that's what requires GPU decompression. Even though it only offers relatively little extra compression next to RDO/lossy compression mentioned above, this additional compression is lossless, so it might be worth the trade-off in some circumstances.

Without it, though, you can still get 2x or more compression ratios for BC7 with their 'medium' RDO settings, without requiring any cpu or gpu time.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
It's not required for BC7.

The bulk of - and all the lossy - compression for BC7 is achievable here with just the hw kraken decompressor.

You can optionally go for a little more extra compression with another tool they're offering, and that's what requires GPU decompression. Even though it only offers relatively little extra compression next to RDO/lossy compression mentioned above, this additional compression is lossless, so it might be worth the trade-off in some circumstances.

Without it, though, you can still get 2x or more compression ratios for BC7 with their 'medium' RDO settings, without requiring any cpu or gpu time.
If you're underutilizing resources because you're bandwidth-starved, maybe it begins to make sense.

foamdino

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Reading how people have issues with PS4 and Pro noise levels and it goes away after cleaning how difficult would it be to add a small filter above air vents that can be cleaned like some PC cases have ?

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel

Amplitude Just Got the First Gameplay Trailer From Harmonix

By now you would have heard of the "reboot" version of Amplitude which is being developed by Harmonix. Gamers who were fans of music based videogames back

PS5 is confirmed to have VRS.
You got to love these kinds of news stories:
Story -> quoting a Neogaf user -> who posted an Era screen capture -> talking about a tweet (that was already posted here a thousand times :)):

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
You got to love a news story quoting a Neogaf user who posted in April an Era screen capture from March, talking about a tweet that was already posted here a thousand times :)
Yeah....

I also do not understand the connection of variable rate shading and the more fine grain drawing of triangles enabled by mesh shading or RDNA Geometry Engine. One does not require the other at all - hence why Activision literally created a software version of VRS which basically hijacked hadware Coverage Sampling in consoles.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
Yeah....

I also do not understand the connection of variable rate shading and the more fine grain drawing of triangles enabled by mesh shading or RDNA Geometry Engine. One does not require the other at all - hence why Activision literally created a software version of VRS which basically hijacked hadware Coverage Sampling in consoles.
I think people misunderstand that tweet which basically tries to say "GE/Mesh Shaders > VRS", but they think it means "If it has GE/Mesh Shaders, it has VRS". And I say:
irEsMis.gif

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Another blog post here on the compressibility of BC6H (hdr) textures with Oodle. It looks really good in comparison to the other encoder shown.

www.jonolick.com

Oodle Texture BC6H ExposƩ

Oodle Texture is a new technology we've developed at RAD Game Tools which promises to dramatically shrink game sizes, reducing what you need to download and store on disk, and speeding up load...

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do we even need VRS if literally every PS5 first party exclusive was shown running at native 4k 30 fps?

i mean its disappointing if the ps5 doesnt have it, they are losing what 15-20% of performance? but clearly the ps5 can push great visuals at native 4k. they just need to drop the res to 4kcb and push the visual fidelity further.

this is done by an ex-DICE dev and hes employing the same black bars techniques Ready At Dawn and Ninja theory did to really push visuals instead of pixels.

running realtime. made by one guy.
All nature you see here ā€“ vegetation, rocks, cliffs, etc ā€“ I've built from my own photogrammetry scans captured on a recent visit to Australia. I kept within typical game budgets for content and technical features, running in real-time on Unreal Engine. I hope you get a little taste of these memories and experiences that bring me joy. Enjoy!

did anyone here play the last of us 2 last night? the indoor areas look like the epilogue sections in uncharted 4. near photorealistic.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Do we even need VRS if literally every PS5 first party exclusive was shown running at native 4k 30 fps?

i mean its disappointing if the ps5 doesnt have it, they are losing what 15-20% of performance? but clearly the ps5 can push great visuals at native 4k. they just need to drop the res to 4kcb and push the visual fidelity further.

this is done by an ex-DICE dev and hes employing the same black bars techniques Ready At Dawn and Ninja theory did to really push visuals instead of pixels.

did anyone here play the last of us 2 last night? the indoor areas look like the epilogue sections in uncharted 4. near photorealistic.

They have VRS so why ask if it matters if they do or don't have it?

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
Another blog post here on the compressibility of BC6H (hdr) textures with Oodle. It looks really good in comparison to the other encoder shown.

www.jonolick.com

Oodle Texture is a new technology we've developed at RAD Game Tools which promises to dramatically shrink game sizes, reducing what you need to download and store on disk, and speeding up load...
It will be fascinating to see quality/compression-ratio between BCPack and Oodle Textures once both will be available soon.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
And other segments believe ps5 can't have flaws.
I don't believe either next-gen console has any flaws. I would even go as far as say that anyone that says either o them does is flawed.

They are both better at somethings than others, based on the design priorities they chose. I can't think of a single thing either of them has done that could be considered as a flaw.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
AegonSnake
Even if you don't need VRS now, at the very start of the generation, computing/rendering demands for a 36 (and to a lesser degree, 52) CU chip will call for such techniques 5+ years from now.
well, we should have midgen consoles by then. like i said its disappointing, but its not like this is a weak gpu. its weaker than the competition but its still offering 2070 super levels of performance. so we dont get to hit 2080 performance, thats ok. as long as they push the res down to 1440p instead of chasing some unrealistic dream of native 4k, we should have a fine gen.

playing the last of us at 1440p and i seriously cant tell if its native 4k or not. it looks better than anything ive played this gen.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain

www.jonolick.com

Interesting.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
It still is...

They have intelligent delivery which means devs can allow the right version of their game be downloaded by the player saving valuable space and making it seamless.

And they ALSO have smart delivery which means players can install the right version oft he game they have on their platform saving space and making it seamless.

They are both right there on Xbox site.

See why I hate buzzwords?
I'm right there with you.
sorry i dont mean you i meant their post.
Cheers.

ImaginaShawn

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't believe either next-gen console has any flaws. I would even go as far as say that anyone that says either o them does is flawed.

They are both better at somethings than others, based on the design priorities they chose. I can't think of a single thing either of them has done that could be considered as a flaw.
Everything ever made has a flaw.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain

This looks good.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Every system has flaws, you'll see in 2027 when they talk about how the PS5 was amazing to work with but they just couldn't quite do X thing because they'd have to compromise something.

I think while that'll be true, both these next gen systems present much less of a problem fundamentally from a game design perspective at least, anyway.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth

I agree with this. Both are extremely well thought out and are nice leap compared to last gen. I also like that they have both gone in different directions while being still comparably the same. It hopefully means we will see different kinds of games really taking advantage of each's strengths, something we haven't seen between consoles in quite some time.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
It's not baseless. The fact that Microsoft's presented number represents exactly a 2:1 compression ratio is strong evidence that it's less realistic than Sony's. Their ratio estimate not only has 4 significant figures instead of 1, but was also given with an error bar. Even a cursory knowledge of real-world data sets indicates how much more likely such a measure is to be accurate, versus a single-digit integer.

This is not to say either number will pan out as fully correct. Just that there is plenty of well-founded reason to find one stated result more plausible than the other. For an exactly analogous situation that further proves the point, Sony's stated maximum throughput is exactly 4:1 with their raw transfer speed. This was suggestive; why, apart from technical limits, would benefits stop so precisely on a round number? So this gave us good warrant to view that number as more pie-in-the-sky theoretical than truly measured. And just recently, we found out that's correct. The max is 4:1 because that was the technical requirement from Sony to RAD, that the Kraken decompressor had to be input-bound up to that level.
I accept the argument that a range will cover more real-world cases than a single point, but the only real difference between Sony and MS in that regard is that Sony talked more about it, and MS almost didn't talk about it at all. And it makes sense, each company is putting their best foot forward, you don't see Sony parading their GPU or BC support around but focuses on the storage and audio solutions and while MS doesn't talk much about their storage solution while they just love talking about BC and their GPU.

But that last part isn't true, it isn't restricted to single digits. Even without RDO, Kraken can reduce BC7 by 20-30%. Therefore the ratio presented by Sony as real world is in fact possible without RDO. (It's a little higher than that range, but we also know that it comes from testing of PS4 game data, which will have had a lower proportion of BC7 and higher of BC1 and BC5, which are more compressible.)

This whole discussion is probably inconsequential; see below. But your argument that Sony's real-world numbers have to already include RDO is unsound, because your premise that the number is unachievable otherwise is false.

Again, this is incorrect. Your performance ceiling estimate for Kraken without RDO on BC7 is too low.
There are a lot of numbers floating around regarding non-RDO BC7 compression ratio, RAD talked about it being common to be sub 10%, Richard Geldreich talked about 20%-30%, but all these numbers are too low of a ratio for Sony's numbers. So either Sony didn't use much BC7, which makes their numbers not very representative of next-gen, or they used RDO. But if you read where this whole discussion was coming from, it was me and GoFreak talking about that if Sony used RDO in their numbers or not is an unknown right now. I don't know if Sony did use RDO or not, just offering a counter to Chris 1515 who is 100000% sure they weren't and it was all just BCn textures compressed as is using Kraken.

I think any statements predicting what specific compression ratios we'll see is foolish. That goes for you, me, and chris 1515 . Because in almost all cases, we're talking about lossy compression. So predicting ratios isn't purely a technical discussion, it's also inherently a prediction about what amount of quality loss art directors and tech leads will live with. For example, I feel like a stickler for render quality, but I look at the examples RAD is providing and even at lambda=40 I'm like, "Well, that's not too awful." Whereas some employed artist with real expertise could be thinking "What have they done with my texels?!"

So projecting lossy compression makes the mix of confounding factors include not just varied game styles, not just teams with different skill levels, but specific individual psychologies. If anyone thinks they can Nostradamus through that haze they're goofy. It's like arguing over conflicting estimates of what bitrate IGN will use in their next Youtube video.
I 100% agree.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
Yeah 4k titles with RT reflections checkerboarded to 1080p.
Ooooh what a let down. Same optimization technique used for raytracing on PC. Where they also use DLSS to improve image resolution and game performance because raytracing is expensive. Shocked these optimization techniques will also be employed on console. Lol

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
Variable clocks on a console, 36 CUs when AMD RT is more reliant on CUs than clock speed, having the same bandwidth as a 5700 when you now have to share said bandwidth with the CPU and RT.
Everything has a limitation/bottleneck.

You can just as accurately say XSX has a bottleneck being only 12 TF.

It's a flaw in the same way pretty much every thing is a flaw.

foamdino

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah 4k titles with RT reflections checkerboarded to 1080p.

We'll see in July what XSX brings to the table - right now everything is theoretical as very little has been shown - at least there is now a known quality bar set for launch titles with PS5. I hope that people more interested in the Microsoft software ecosystem get what they want next month too.

Status
Not open for further replies.