• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ShabbadooJr

Oct 27, 2017
Omaha, NE
Hi ResetEra, I was hoping I could find some help or answers about my Playstation Account being permanently suspended. I was playing online and then all of a sudden received a pop-up saying my account was permanently suspended. I've tried talking to Playstation support twice and was basically given the runaround, saying

Thank you for that information. After verifying your account I can see it was permanently suspended. Violation of the "Terms of Services and User Agreement" for the PlayStation Network was found in the Sony Entertainment Network account and it was suspended according to the agreement.

Here is article with a list of reasons why your account can be suspended: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/account/suspensions-psn/ . To continue using our services you may create a new PSN account.

The reason was because fraud was detected in the account.

Unfortunately, I cannot provide more details about this and it does not apply to an appeal, which is why you regret the message you received on the web form.

They aren't telling me why my account was suspended at all. I have no emails about it either.

So I know in the past these have typically resulted due to chargebacks, which I have not done. Or lewd messages being sent, which I also have not done. I have no idea why it was suspended. Sony won't give me any reasoning as to why. The website won't let me file an appeal, (also something I've never done). So I am at a loss, I am heartbroken as I play Playstation probably between 50-100 hours a week. I spend thousands of dollars with them yearly. I have a PS5, a PSVR 2, Portal, and even the Pulse Earbuds pre-ordered. Has this happened to anyone before? What did you do to get your account back? Does anyone have any advice? Does anyone have an in at Sony and can help me? I will do anything to help get my account back.

Brando

Oct 25, 2017
You're going to need to file a complaint against Sony with the BBB if they're giving you the run around. It's the only way to get Sony to actually engage in customer service with you.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Sadly, I don't have any solutions to offer here, I'm just going to say that Sony's customer support is absolute dogshit and it has been for years. They seriously don't care about individual customers' experiences and have to be actively forced to put any effort into resolving issues.

kradical

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The message says fraud was detected - have you had any issues with payments recently? Buy some credit from a dodgy source? Do you share your account?

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
I might be reading it wrong but they are saying your account was suspended for fraud. So did you happen to buy psn cards from eBay or anything? I know people using psn cards that were purchased using a stolen card having issues before.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
So I had this happen to me and I managed to get everything restored and the permanent ban lifted. What happened in my case was that I had a PSN that I wasn't using for years, and what I didn't realize was that it was accessed by a hacker who tried to do some shit (I didn't have any payment info so they had nothing to steal). I was able to to lift the ban by speaking with one of Sony's reps through chat. It was quick and painless, though I have heard lots of stories saying the opposite.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Feel like this has come up before. Fraud is typically related to the credit cards or Paypal (I remember there was an issue awhile back that was getting some banned due to having their paypal linked).

Did you perhaps get chargebacks for something stolen recently and your bank included PSN credit with it?

I might be reading it wrong but they are saying your account was suspended for fraud. So did you happen to buy psn cards from eBay or anything? I know people using psn cards that were purchased using a stolen card having issues before.

This was another aspect I was thinking as well.

OP
OP
ShabbadooJr

ShabbadooJr

Oct 27, 2017
Omaha, NE

Tommi813

Jul 19, 2020
Yeah, my account was permanent banned too, today. And I can't do anything and don't know what happened.

I also can't appeal. I didn't receive any mail. I just wanted to check my account today for a delivery by Direct PlayStation and I could not login anymore.

OP
OP
ShabbadooJr

ShabbadooJr

Oct 27, 2017
Omaha, NE
Feel like this has come up before. Fraud is typically related to the credit cards or Paypal (I remember there was an issue awhile back that was getting some banned due to having their paypal linked).

Did you perhaps get chargebacks for something stolen recently and your bank included PSN credit with it?

This was another aspect I was thinking as well.

No chargebacks ever with Sony. No Credit Cards have been stolen recently to my knowledge.
I buy Playstation gift cards from Costco quite often to buy games. But there shouldn't be issues with Costco. I did buy a $100 gift card recently from NewEgg though.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Best of luck OP.

Sony customer service is absolute dogshit. It took me a week to reverse the console ban on my brand new PS5 from PSN. Which I bought. Directly from Sony.

Do everything you can to chat with a real human. I had decent luck, but it took forever to find the right option on the webpage to open a chat with someone, and then it was a few hours before someone connected. Whatever you do, get a ticket number and keep it so you can reference it whenever you inevitably have to connect with another rep, since you'll probably be disconnected.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I had this happen to me before, but it was a temporary suspension of 10 days I think. Same thing, couldn't get in touch with anyone in chat customer service, no actual person to talk to on their phone line (just a runaround of options). Could never figure out why I was suspended as I was barely playing anything at the time.

Drove me nuts.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Before anything, answer these questions:

1)Did you recently buy any PSN vouchers from an unauthorized source?

2)Is you CC attached to your PSN and did you have any issues with that?

3)Do you play EA FC/Fifa? Were your emails compromised recently?

OP
OP
ShabbadooJr

ShabbadooJr

Oct 27, 2017
Omaha, NE
I am quite active on PSN. Usually 8+ hours a day, usually either playing games or using the streaming apps, so it's not due to inactivity or someone hacking my account. That I am aware of.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
I hope you can get your account back, OP. And that there was no real fraud associated with it.

(50-100 hours a week though! Holy shit.)

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Are you doing anything strange with your account like residing/playing in a country other than the country your account resides?

Or like someone else mentioned, sharing the account or purchasing gift cards through unofficial channels?

Is the CC you use on your account in the same country you use your PS5 in?

Basically anything they could deem against their policies regarding the usage of your account or basic anomalies that might seem like weird/non-typical usage patterns?

OP
OP
ShabbadooJr

ShabbadooJr

Oct 27, 2017
Omaha, NE
Before anything, answer these questions:

1)Did you recently buy any PSN vouchers from an unauthorized source?

2)Is you CC attached to your PSN and did you have any issues with that?

3)Do you play EA FC/Fifa? Were your emails compromised recently?

1. No. Only Costco about ($100 x 10 times in the last year) or NewEgg (1 time).
2. Yes, and no issues.
3. No Fifa issue. And My emails have not been compromised to my knowledge.

OP
OP
ShabbadooJr

ShabbadooJr

Oct 27, 2017
Omaha, NE
I hope you can get your account back, OP. And that there was no real fraud associated with it.

(50-100 hours a week though! Holy shit.)

I work from home, so I always have something going on the PS5 (Netflix, Apple Music, Gaming, ETC)

Are you doing anything strange with your account like residing/playing in a country other than the country your account resides?

Or like someone else mentioned, sharing the account or purchasing gift cards through unofficial channels?

Is the CC you use on your account in the same country you use your PS5 in?

Basically anything they could deem against their policies regarding the usage of your account or basic anomalies that might seem like weird/non-typical usage patterns?

1. Nope my account is in the US. I haven't bought from another countries store in years.
2. No sharing of my account. No purchasing Gift Cards through unofficial channels.
3. CC is US based, as is my account
4. Nothing that I can think of

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
2. Yes, and no issues.
I would check that newegg card and see if it was sold directly by Newegg or if it was done by one of their third party sellers. Otherwise I think you need to try to call them directly and get a rep on the phone for more info. Also let them know it's not letting you submit an appeal.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
Try contacting them on social media. FB or twitter if you have one of those. I find the easiest way to get in touch with corps in thru social media DMs

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I would check that newegg card and see if it was sold directly by Newegg or if it was done by one of their third party sellers. Otherwise I think you need to try to call them directly and get a rep on the phone for more info. Also let them know it's not letting you submit an appeal.

Yeah that Newegg one sticks out to me. It wouldn't be Costco if you got the same thing multiple times in a year.

I'd call them personally, especially since they said the reason was because of fraud.

OP
OP
ShabbadooJr

ShabbadooJr

Oct 27, 2017
Omaha, NE

It was sold by NewEgg.
I was using 2FA and have been using it for years. I've even changed my password to be much stronger about 6 months ago.

Dec 19, 2022
As others have already suggested, contacting BBB and filing a complaint might be your best bet at this point. Sony's customer support is unfortunately very well known for being pure horseshit.

Tommi813

Jul 19, 2020
There are hundreds of reports about it on Social media. Maybe it's just an error by Sony... I hope so. Because their customer servicer sucks.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's beyond the pale that Sony can completely invalidate all of your purchases, just like that. Revoke fraudulent purchases (if any), maybe even prevent the user from buying new stuff, just don't revoke access to legitimate purchases. Christ.

Negatorous

Jul 14, 2018
So, when you get suspended like that can you access games you've legally bought from them digitally over the years or do you lose access to everything attached to that account?

JSRF

Aug 23, 2023
They might have screwed up. I have seen large businesses make mistakes when actioning large groups of people before and walk it back after a bit of time. I have been in the middle of situations like that a few times professionally, it's not fun.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017

Oh damn, yeah something is going on then.

It's beyond the pale that Sony can completely invalidate all of your purchases, just like that. Revoke fraudulent purchases (if any), maybe even prevent the user from buying new stuff, just don't revoke access to legitimate purchases. Christ.

Welcome to the all digital future, baby.

Tommi813

Jul 19, 2020
A user on Resetera (Link above) posted

"There is some sort of account authentication issue right now that has hit a chunk of people on PSN, and for many of us it's saying "account permanently suspended".

"I don't interact with other people on PSN. I don't share my account. I'm not using any third-party hardware or firmware hacks. I've had my account for 10+ years with no issues, and I got the "account permanently suspended" message out of the blue an hour ago while playing a game on my PS5. I didn't even receive an email about the suspension, and the playstation support chat system is completely slammed and mostly unavailable right now."

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
2. Yes, and no issues.
If you truly didn't do anything and no one compromised your account, you most likely got some kind of false positive on owing money to Sony charge.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Welcome to the all digital future, baby.
It's more about Sony being a shitty company in this instance. They should take a hint from more responsible storefront owners.

Honestly, revoking access from legitimately purchased games should be illegal, full stop. Regulate that shit.

Oct 19, 2023
I hope you get this resolved quickly and I hope for the best.

Terrible situation.

I would move to PC exclusively if this happened to me.

Dec 15, 2017
Wow, I feel for you and I hope you can resolve this.

There would certainly be no "new account" for me if that ever happened over some frivolous BS or if they wouldn't even give details. They give no shits, but that's spurned enough to say no forever.

I agree with the sentiment that this should be illegal and regulated. Lock me out going forward? Sure, but all my legitimately purchased games that now span almost 2 fucking decades? That would just be unreal and I might be in bed depressed for days.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
It's crazy though, I have $60+ dollars in my PSN account right now.

Yeah, I do have some dollar in my PSN account too. I purchased some games with it two days ago.
Yeah hopefully it gets resolved and you can update us.

Wow, I feel for you and I hope you can resolve this.

There would certainly be no "new account" for me if that ever happened over some frivolous BS or if they wouldn't even give details. They give no shits, but that's spurned enough to say no forever.

I agree with the sentiment that this should be illegal and regulated. Lock me out going forward? Sure, but all my legitimately purchased games that now span almost 2 fucking decades? That would just be unreal and I might be in bed depressed for days.
1Imorgv.jpeg

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Ok I just checked and my account is good as well as all my usual friends. OP definitely give them a ring tomorrow.

I hope this gets resolved soon for you and all those other people affected by this.