• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BuBu Jenkins

Oct 27, 2017
Damn at Gears, knew the series popularity declined heavily from the 360 days but going by the lack of youtube views and even on this board with its E3 trailer thread buried deep in the recesses of ERA with hardly any activity going on it seems the series have completely cratered. I'm sure haters mad that their "dude bro" shooter now stars a female as the lead isn't doing it any favors either...

KNECHT

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
God of Wat sold 5 million in a month which puts it on pace to beat Halo 5 absolutely for all those who quoted me. Last of Us finished at 8 million roughly, and Halo 5 we only have 5 million + in 3 months.

So God of War is a definite for the latest game in the series, Last of Us most likely too, but we'll see on the upcoming ones. But anyone doubting Halo's popularity is sorely mistaken, while not what it once was it still sells gangbusters and has a ton of players.

Nah, no one has said that.
Halo is still one of the most popular franchises in the industry, but its popularity is clearly decreasing, that's all.

X Wi77iaM X

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Dude its 2018
We are in the PS4&X1 Gen - The 360 days are over.Bungie and EPIC aren't anymore making Halo and Gears.

Halo 5 SHIPPED 5 Million Units in 3 months
God of War SOLD 5 Million Units in 1 month

Horizon was 1 year after release at 8 Million
Uncharted 4 at ~9 Million in 7 months and outsold Halo 5 and Gears 4 COMBINED.
The last of Us sold easily over 10 Million Units by now over obviously 2 platforms and The Last of Us 2 will be one if not the biggest non Nintendo Exclusive Game in this Gen.

Maybe Gears has a chance to be big again if they make the guys kiss each other
They should try it!

My god, one of the most embarassing post ive saw here...

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
OP should be updating those numbers.

B3Tt8H6.png

1.5 million confused viewers now! :P

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Gears needs a rest, nobody cares anymore.

Halo is back though.

As for Sony, Playstation is huge and much more widely known so of course their channel is bigger, will attract more more views.
Gears needs a better cast first and foremost. Coletrain, Fenix, Dom and Baird had more charisma in their left hand than the current troop has in their entire body.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
Gears' numbers really shouldn't be too surprising. The franchise is in decline. Gears 4 was a well-produced and polished product but didn't bring anything new to the table while taking a step back from 3 with respect to enemy design and characterization. Of all the great things MS is doing lately, milking Gears to the tune of three new games strikes me as a big mistake, as is attempting to imbue 5 with a tone of serious drama. If TC wanted to make a dramatically engaging, cinematic TPS, they were better off doing Shangheist or the like.

It looks like MS is going to be changing things up and have started investing big in gaming. They have the money, way more technical and intellectual people power, and are American (it is easier to suceed if you are American). If they have a solid gameplan, well all I am saying is I would not bet on a somewhat debt laden, conservative Japanese company.

This doesnt mean that PS will cease to exist, just that MS gaming will be bigger and more profitable.

Instant classic. This is the ERA heir apparent to GAF's I'm an expert in Japanese culture. Can't wait to see this riffed on.

Then again, this seems a little too absurd to be genuine, in which case I applaud you for brilliantly towing the line between delusion and sarcasm.

Remember

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Chicago, IL United States
Each company has an odd difference in conference mentality and when it comes to Nintendo and Sony I think it's time people start looking at their treehouses for new footage and new games.

Microsoft laid everything on the table upfront, which includes games that may or may not be canceled in the future(remember all those first party games they announced a few E3s prior and nearly canceled them all except crackdown?). They take unsafe bets in order to be bombastic in delivery.

Nintendo decided to focus mainly on 2018 games and continue the dripfeed, which makes them seem like they have little to offer in quantity but on the flip side this shows how much quality each of their games have and they give them breathing room.

Sony is doing the thing they did last year which I still question, they are revealing games and new gameplay on their treehouse-esque stream instead of utilizing their conference to the maximum like microsoft. They are also still making their conference about the audience at the convention center instead of the audience at home watching. They treat e3 like Comic con in a way. On one hand, this makes it so that they are giving you plenty of gameplay but on the other hand it makes their lineup look more sparse than it actually is. They are also spreading themselves super thin with their own conference in Paris, then Tokyo, then ps event during winter.

Bethesda made the odd choice of giving teasers of games possibly 5-10 years away. A very square enix-esque move which they normally never do. I assume they just did it to appease the Skyrim whiners.

Square enix gave everyone else the good footage and left themselves with barely anything of their own. At least Keith David was a cool plus.

Ubisoft unfortunately had their games leaked so everything they had lacked impact. Also, off screen footage of BGE 2 was a huge negative.

PC gaming conference finally had one of the best pacings they could possibly have, but still have issues getting the big surprise AAA announcements and footage, as they had more indie games to show than the others. The best thing they did was not focus on hardware too much this time around.

No one solely won this e3 but they all did a great job showing up.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
It looks like MS is going to be changing things up and have started investing big in gaming. They have the money, way more technical and intellectual people power, and are American (it is easier to suceed if you are American). If they have a solid gameplan, well all I am saying is I would not bet on a somewhat debt laden, conservative Japanese company.

This doesnt mean that PS will cease to exist, just that MS gaming will be bigger and more profitable.

This is a spicy hot take! It's almost as if MS with all their money has tried for three generations to make Xbox a global brand, and outside of North America and the UK they've not had much success.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Gears 4 was actually very succesful as it's got a larger playerbase than even Gears 3 when it was at this point. As for this Halo vs other franchises debate, none of those franchises have even reached the popularity of Halo 2 so it's a pretty bad comparison overall. Gears never even reached Halo 2's popularity.

Well to be fair, at this point, Gears Judgement was already out and the 360 was winding down anyway (it'd be June 2013 atp), so I'm not sure that comparison means much.

Still, I have no trouble finding matches so I guess things are going well enough for the game.

I'm actually surprised there are still new players around. I jumped in a gears match for the first time in years last week and destroyed everyone. Felt kind of bad for them lol

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For people asking for updated numbers, they're updated live here and take into account multiple channels that have posted the trailer instead of just one:

http://vizioneck.com/forum/index.php?topic=6396.0

Here's the current Top 5:

1. 6,863,530 views Cyberpunk 2077
2. 5,872,044 views The Elder Scrolls VI
3. 5,449,445 views The Last of Us Part II
4. 5,034,988 views Halo Infinite
5. 4,968,273 views Devil May Cry 5

Sorry no this is not even close to true bud.

The reversal between Sony and Microsoft exclusives popularity this gen has been pretty big:

Jokegeta

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Sony's games were better than anything MS had. Sony was already telling us it wouldn't be a traditional show. MS put up a bunch of 3rd party games, with no gameplay for their exclusives, the a more traditional format for e3. This years E3 wont change anything as far as games go. The Last of Us part 2 is the most viewed game out in the time frame it came out

BDubsLegend

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
Youtube stats mean nothing. All the Downvotes Infinite Warfare got and it still outsold Battlefield 1. I don't get how youtube is a platform full of trolls unit it crates some numbers to support my point of view.

Presskohle

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Is this 2002? Back then, I was eager to believe that. 16 years later, not so much.

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017

It took Sony 20 years to cultivate their WWS to what it is today. MS isn't going to do that in a span of 4-5 years.

Nov 4, 2017
To be fair, the Death Stranding views are just the same 100k people watching it over and over to try and work out WTF they're looking at.

Anti

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Australia
Sony has better games and audience today but the game is likely to change in the future due to MS huge investment in 1st party.

Michael Pachter told me.

Really?

They bought a studio with one game of experience, they are making a new studio which obviously means it has no experience as a studio, and a studio with 2 games as experience and you are already saying that they will win and beat studios like ND, Guerrilla, SP, Bend, Japan Studio and the others who have in some cases more than 15 years of experience and multiple games and franchises.

M8, your conclusion is terrible.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Gears pop 3 tines more poular than gears tactics ugh...

But seriously what is going on with gears 5 low views?

Guymelef

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spain

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Nah, no one has said that.
Halo is still one of the most popular franchises in the industry, but its popularity is clearly decreasing, that's all.

God of wars popularity was decreasing as well.
The thing is GOWps4 was amazing and considered a must own... The reviews really helped sell it.

Halo hasnt had agame like that since halo 3

Could 343 make a game like that? Well they havent yet...but sony santa monica improved so maybe they can too?

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
Gears pop 3 tines more poular than gears tactics ugh...

But seriously what is going on with gears 5 low views?

i play Gears weekly but I'm just not interested in the SP campaigns of these games at all. when the MP footage gets posted I'll watch. I would be very ok with MS launching a standalone MP suite for this IP.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
i play Gears weekly but I'm just not interested in the SP campaigns of these games at all. when the MP footage gets posted I'll watch. I would be very ok with MS launching a standalone MP suite for this IP.
I think that sounds awful. Gears mo is already low on playersthis would sell even less games.

Unless they madeit ftp then you could enjoy even more microtransactions.

Halo 3 outsold Halo 5 on a smaller installbase. The installbase wasn't the limiting factor.
Reviews and word of mouth matters

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
I think that sounds awful. Gears mo is already low on playersthis would sell even less games.

Unless they madeit ftp then you could enjoy even more microtransactions.

Reviews and word of mouth matters
As well as customer satisfaction in regards to your previous products. I.E Halo 4 & Halo MCC