Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
DPNxeeIUIAA9nyK.jpg

Link to main page & stream: https://asia.playstation.com/en-sg/events/playstation-awards/

About PlayStation® Awards
PlayStation® Awards is a ceremony recognizing big hit game titles sold in the PlayStation® platform for Japan and other Asian territories.
Details of the PlayStation® Awards 2017

Date:
  • 30th November, 2017 (Thursday) 17:00 Japan Standard Time
Venue:

• Grand Prince Hotel New Takanawa, Tokyo Japan
Award Category:
  • Platinum Prize : Software titles (DL) with an accumulated shipment quantity (including download quantity) of over 1 million copies
  • Gold Prize : Software titles (DL) with an accumulated shipment quantity (including download quantity) of over 500,000 copies
  • PlayStation™Network Award : Top 3 network sales titles will be awarded (period: From Oct 1st 2016 - Sept 30th, 2017)
  • Users' Choice Award : Top 10 titles voted by Japan and Asia users. (Released in Oct 1st 2016 - Sept 30th, 2017)
  • PlayStation VR Award : 3 titles that contributed to the sales of PlayStation®VR (period: From Oct 13th 2016 - Sept 30th, 2017) * Excluding last year's winning titles
  • Indies & Developer Award : 3 titles that contributed to the expansion of PlayStation® (period: From Oct 1st 2016 - Sept 30th, 2017) * Excluding last year's winning titles

Servbot24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So this is an event in which PlayStation will award itself...?

I guess it's neat to get new sales info.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Here are the 2016 award winners for a memory refresh:

Platinum Prize

Software with an accumulated shipment quantity (including download quantity) of over one million copies.
  • No winners

Gold Prize

Software with an accumulated shipment quantity (including download quantity) of over 500,000 copies.
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops III (SIEJA / Activision Blizzard)
  • Dark Souls III (From Software / Bandai Namco Entertainment)
  • Dragon Quest Builders (Square Enix)
  • Dragon Quest Heroes II (Square Enix)
  • The Last of Us Remastered (Naughty Dog / SIEJA)
  • Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2016 (Konami)
  • Persona 5 (Atlus)
  • Sword Art Online: Lost Song (Bandai Namco Entertainment)
  • Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (Naughty Dog / SIEJA)
  • The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (CD Projekt RED / Spike Chunsoft)

PlayStation Network Award

The top three network sales titles were awarded. (Between October 1, 2015 to September 30, 2016.)
  • Dragon's Dogma Online (Capcom)
  • Phantasy Star Online 2 (Sega Games)
  • Pro Evolution Soccer 2016 (Konami)

Users Choice Prize

The top 10 titles voted by Japan and Asia users were awarded. (Released between October 1, 2015 and September 30, 2016.)
  • Bloodborne: The Old Hunters Edition (SIEJA)
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops III (SIEJA / Activision Blizzard)
  • Dark Souls III (From Software / Bandai Namco Entertainment)
  • Dragon Quest Builders (Square Enix)
  • Fallout 4 (Bethesda Softworks)
  • Overwatch (Blizzard Entertainment / Square Enix)
  • Persona 5 (Atlus)
  • Rainbow Six: Siege (Ubisoft)
  • Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (SIEJA)
  • Yakzua: Kiwami (Sega Games)

PlayStation VR Special Award

Five titles that have contributed to PlayStation VR were awarded.
  • Hatsune Miku: VR Future Live (Sega Games)
  • Northern Lights: The Story of the Lights Shining in the Northern Sky (Orichalcum Technologies)
  • PlayStation VR Worlds (SIEJA)
  • Rez Infinite (Enhance Games)
  • Summer Lesson: Hikari Miyamoto Seven Days Room (Bandai Namco Entertainment)

Indie Special Award

Five titles that have contributed to PlayStation were awarded. (Released between October 1, 2015 and September 30, 2016.)
  • Downwell (Moppin)
  • Goat Simulator (Double-Eleven)
  • Salt & Sanctuary (Ska Studios)
  • Touhou Scarlet Curisoity (Mediascape)
  • Rocket League (Psyonix)
Source

OP
OP
Nightengale

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Reminder that these awards are based on copies sold.

And that this awards ceremony are:
- hosted in Japanese.
- meant as a celebration/congratulatory event for corporate publisher partners. It is streamed to the public, but the event is not held for the consumers.
- have an extremely low (practically zero) probability for announcements/game updates/new trailers of any kind.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
So this doesn't count sales from outside of Asia? Otherwise P5 and Nioh would have the Platinum awards easily.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
IIRC there was a live English translation last year right? Since it also includes mainland Asia?
If that's the case again, I might just watch it to compare to Famitsu/Media Create numbers to see how well games are faring in mainland Asia. Seems to be a potential growth hot spot.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
This is a Sony Japan Asia managed event, and public voting options related to this event are limited to the following countries: Hong Kong, Taiwan, Korea, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand and Indonesia.

China is managed by Sony China, a separate division of business.

Oh, I see...

...Wait, there's voting?! Where do I vote @_@!

Hexa

Oct 25, 2017
So is anyone else going to watch this? I kind of want to, but I don't want to do it alone.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
So is anyone else going to watch this? I kind of want to, but I don't want to do it alone.

There will be people watching. The orchestra that was added a few years ago really seemed to grab some people and they've been watching since.

Are there ever any announcements at this event?

No, but what you will get is hints toward future announcements during their post-show Q&A on the PS stream. This is what was said during Square's interview about Builders award last year

Producer Noriyoshi Fujimoto: "We really heard a lot from the fans, such as good points, things they want improved, and we really heard a lot of 'we want you to make a sequel!' As part of the Dragon Quest series, I want to live up to the fans' expectations, but what kind of thoughts do you have about that, Niinou-san? (Laughs.)"

Director Kazuya Niinou: "…There are a lot of things I can't say unless Fujimoto-san says it, but since we received this selection, I think we have to return the favor with a good game, and I want to work hard too for the time being to live up to your expectations.

https://gematsu.com/2016/12/dragon-quest-builders-director-next-game-return-favor-good-game

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Is there any nomination list for this year? Something like best picture, best actor actresses, or anything like that?

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Persona 5 was eligible for this again? I guess it might be because of its 2017 Asian release.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
User Choice Award:
Battlefield 1
FFXV
RE7
Nioh
Nier Automata
Horizon
Persona 5
Ys VIII
DQXI
Uncharted The Lost Legacy

ULTROS!

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure these are the winners for each category:

Platinum:
- Final Fantasy XV
- Dragon Quest XI

Gold:
- NieR: Automata
- Resident Evil VII

DKHF

Oct 28, 2017
Pretty sure these are the winners for each category:

Platinum:
- Final Fantasy XV
- Dragon Quest XI

Gold:
- NieR: Automata
- Resident Evil VII
DQXI is Double Platinum since they said that was one of the categories they're doing today, it's the only game that could have reached that.

Hayama Akito

Oct 25, 2017
lol Toby Fox

I'm the only one who thinks the PlayStation Awards fanfare sounds pretty much like the Sega Saturn boot screen song?

Hexa

Oct 25, 2017
Indie Choice Awards:

Touhou Gensou Wanderer
3v3 Freestyle
Undertale

VR Awards:

Resident Evil VII
Farpoint
Summer Lesson

Hexa

Oct 25, 2017
PSN Awards:

Phantasy Star Ocean 2
Rainbow Six Siege
FIFA

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
It's not necessarily easy to predict all of the sales awards due to how well some games do in the rest of Asia, and we never really get sales details on those games until here. For example, last year The Witcher 3 surprised the hell out of everyone by winning a Gold Award.