Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
I live in China but I never thought there would be a western board where people would get their accounts banned and suspended what simply disagreeing with the 'official' opinion. (and most likely simply for stating this my account will be banned or suspended)
The "official opinion" is to not be a bad person. Just use some common sense over what is a good thing to say and try not to say bad things. Saying women don't have a right to bodily autonomy is a bad thing. Saying they do have a right is a good thing. It's a pretty easy rule to follow.

skillzilla81

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I live in China but I never thought there would be a western board where people would get their accounts banned and suspended what simply disagreeing with the 'official' opinion. (and most likely simply for stating this my account will be banned or suspended)

We can disagree and still love each other unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist.

James Baldwin

Glace

Banned
Dec 8, 2021
If your opinion is women are not able to decide what is best for their own bodies you aren't a part of civil society let alone an online community

the two opinions are women should have control of their bodies and women should be told by the government what to do with their body. One gives women rights an autonomy, one is about controlling and turning women into baby carrying pods. That is the difference.

Hopefully we see a rapid apology for this bullshit tomorrow

you're just ultimately in the wrong place if you call supporting women's health and body autonomy an opinion. There's a right and wrong answer here.

What do you consider to be the "official" opinion here?
I mean you can't just distil it like that. You can easily say the opinions are one where people kill an unborn human and one where people don't consider what is unborn to be human. Currenly the US discussion is even more ridiculous because the rights of the unborn and the rights to bodily integrity of women were always based simply on a Supreme Court judgment with the legislature never even bothering to legislate for the issue, ie having an actual public debate it.

Again living in China, if I wrote on a Chinese board I think the government is wrong and we should give protection to the rights of the unborn I'd have my account deleted. Writing even less on Resetera (ie 'people should respect each other's opinions on the issue') has led other users to a ban on here. I don't mind people discussing it, like if I say something and then twenty people tell me I'm wrong or they disagree or even tell me to fuck off is actually a healthy discusion. But the moderators clamping down because you don't follow the party line just means this place will become (or has already become) a bubble of like minded people.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Respecting someone's opinion means you don't agree, but they're free to do or believe what they want.

Respecting someone's opinion isn't you don't agree and therefore you have to force the other person to do what you want.

There's a clear difference between the two when it comes to the pro-choice and pro-life camps.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I mean you can't just distil it like that. You can easily say the opinions are one where people kill an unborn human and one where people don't consider what is unborn to be human. Currenly the US discussion is even more ridiculous because the rights of the unborn and the rights to bodily integrity of women were always based simply on a Supreme Court judgment with the legislature never even bothering to legislate for the issue, ie having an actual public debate it.

Again living in China, if I wrote on a Chinese board I think the government is wrong and we should give protection to the rights of the unborn I'd have my account deleted. Writing even less on Resetera (ie 'people should respect each other's opinions on the issue') has led other users to a ban on here. I don't mind people discussing it, like if I say something and then twenty people tell me I'm wrong or they disagree or even tell me to fuck off is actually a healthy discusion. But the moderators clamping down because you don't follow the party line just means this place will become (or has already become) a bubble of like minded people.

At the end of the day, there is no debating whether or not women should have bodily autonomy. They should, and anyone trying to crack down on that is wrong.

Think of it this way: only one side is trying to FORCE people to do things against their will, and it's not the side that promotes women having the right to make their own choices with their bodies.

Glace

Banned
Dec 8, 2021
We can disagree and still love each other unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist.

James Baldwin
I actually agree with this. But I also believe that the unborn has rights and then it's a balancing act of right to life and right to autonomy. On the other hand, I believe in personal freedom so it's not the role of the state to tell women what to do with their bodies and their unborn babies. Everyone should decide for themselves.

skillzilla81

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I actually agree with this. But I also believe that the unborn has rights and then it's a balancing act of right to life and right to autonomy. On the other hand, I believe in personal freedom so it's not the role of the state to tell women what to do with their bodies and their unborn babies. Everyone should decide for themselves.

The problem is that one group taking away the ability to decide for themselves, and there is no in between. Women get to decide what to do with their bodies. Period.

Any other opinion is hateful rooted in the oppression of women.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
The problem is that one group taking away the ability to decide for themselves, and there is no in between. Women get to decide what to do with their bodies. Period.
for real, this is happening while Roe v Wade is about to be fucking demolished and the GOP are making plans for a national ban

Glace

Banned
Dec 8, 2021
The "official opinion" is to not be a bad person. Just use some common sense over what is a good thing to say and try not to say bad things. Saying women don't have a right to bodily autonomy is a bad thing. Saying they do have a right is a good thing. It's a pretty easy rule to follow.
What if I believe in the rights of the unborn. What if I believe that there is life from conception? Even if you want to find a compromise there, what if I believe there is life from the moment there is a heartbeat (so around 6 weeks) as there is a clinical death when there is no heartbeat. Would I be wrong for simply stating that? Like in this debate there is no scientific right or wrong.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017

I, too, have a brain that is slowly turning into slurry and making me forgot a 30 year old concept like "message board moderation".

skillzilla81

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What if I believe in the rights of the unborn. What if I believe that there is life from conception? Even if you want to find a compromise there, what if I believe there is life from the moment there is a heartbeat (so around 6 weeks) as there is a clinical death when there is no heartbeat. Would I be wrong for simply stating that? Like in this debate there is no scientific right or wrong.

Then fuck off.

Trunchisholm

Oct 31, 2017
Sure, because being an utter misogynist and tolerating opinions that are going to get women killed is merely "disagreeing with the 'official' opinion". Bigotry should never be tolerated. I wonder why you're okay with Ryan's statement. Would you have been okay if he had asked employees to respect their workmates' racist, homophobic or transphobic opinions? Because that's exactly how bad this is.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
lol you aren't slick dude.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
What if I believe in the rights of the unborn. What if I believe that there is life from conception?

You can believe whatever you want without evidence. People will rightly tell you you're fighting against bodily autonomy and basic human rights.

You can't deny that forced childbirth hurts a great number of people, while the counter argument boils down to "well I choose to believe" while forcing your beliefs on everyone else.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Do you believe in a woman's right to her own body or not? It's pretty easy.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

You can believe what you want, and you don't have to get an abortion if you don't want to get one. That doesn't mean women who aren't you should be forced to carry babies to term just because you feel that way.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
What does your beliefs have to do with stranger's children?

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Hi I'm Glace and I'm really concerned about people being able to express their opinion on here, and I'm totally not shit-stirring in a thread about a sensitive issue while conveniently ignoring all context.

Surely you can all see I'm here to argue in good faith

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody trying to defend taking away women rights deserve to be banned and shunned yes. Fuck those people no matter where they live.

CupOfDoom

Dec 17, 2017
I was going to cite the evidence that the "heartbeat" at six weeks is bullshit because there is no heart at six weeks but, I think its better to just not engage

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
It's still a woman's choice who is carrying it. Not yours, not mine, not any man's or even other woman's choice. The only one that has any say is the one carrying the fetus. Full stop.

You don't like it, cool. You don't have to get an abortion and that is the crux of being pro choice.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
Hi I'm Glace and I'm really concerned about people being able to express their opinion on here, and I'm totally not shit-stirring in a thread about a sensitive issue while conveniently ignoring all context.

Surely you can all see I'm here to argue in good faith
Hi I'm Bobby42069 and I'm from [insert authoritarian country here] and I am very concerned about free speech in this here forum. (Account created in April 24, 2022, 24 messages)

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
But I also believe that the unborn has rights and then it's a balancing act of right to life and right to autonomy.
That "balancing act" is exactly what Roe v. Wade established.

Like in this debate there is no scientific right or wrong.
Cool, then believe whatever you want, but your non-scientific belief shouldn't be a basis for stripping away the rights of others.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
This guy has zero charisma and I never understood how he got to be the new face for PS and headlining the conferences. Sure he might be good with numbers behind the curtains, but he sure as hell seems like a moron, a huge twat.

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
If people truly respect each other's opinion, then they'd become pro-choice.... because even if I don't like abortion (well, nobody LIKES an abortion) and it's incompatible with my moral/religious values, I respect your choice for having an abortion.

Asking or demanding the lawmakers to make your choice illegal is not respecting your opinion. It's shit like some Christians who claim they love 'the homosexuals' (in the 'hate the sins, love the sinners' way), but they still don't want to see your marriage/union recognized by the country's law.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada

Ahh, yes, just a casual bystander concerned about the state of the discourse, coincidentally armed with standard anti-abortion talking points.

"I'm personally placing the line at the heartbeat" doesn't logically follow from "there is no scientific right or wrong", dude.

Never mind that a heartbeat is not at all the sole determination of life and there are plenty of cases where it's considered acceptable to end a life should a heartbeat be basically all that remains.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
What?

"dogs really are man's best friend, they know their place, and perform useful functions like biting burglars and chasing balls that you throw for them."

Please tell me he's not literally dog whistling.

Trunchisholm

Oct 31, 2017
I believe in personal freedom so it's not the role of the state to tell women what to do with their bodies and their unborn babies. Everyone should decide for themselves.
What if I believe in the rights of the unborn. What if I believe that there is life from conception? Even if you want to find a compromise there, what if I believe there is life from the moment there is a heartbeat (so around 6 weeks) as there is a clinical death when there is no heartbeat.
Who the fuck are you trying to fool with the bolded part? You don't believe in women's right to bodily autonomy when you proceed to deny said right by invoking some vague "rights of the unborn".

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
That's nice. But pregnancy is an incredibly involved process for the woman. Even life threatening in some cases. In the United States, one of the worst maternal mortality rates in the developed world.

Not to mention all of the other issues surrounding childbirth.

So until science changes I guess, it should always be the woman who has the choice to dictate what happens to her body. It is not your concern what she decides. If you don't want an abortion, you are not forced to get one.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Not to dog pile, but overturning of Roe will not protect "unborn". Research has shown that women who want an abortion will get it regardless, but under less hygienic, less safe methods thereby risking their own lives. Overturning of Roe = increased deaths and injury of women. We need to understand that. This action by Supreme Court will lead to deaths of (likely poorer, minority) women. . Then there's a question of bodily autonomy. Why do rich, out of touch white people get to decide you need to carry a fetus to term.

Finally You can believe what you want to believe, but if you do believe in God, I doubt he will ask you "why didn't you support the overturning of Roe" and flick you into hell.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I have no idea what universe I am living in where it is now a bad thing to say that you respect other people's different opinion. Doing so is literally the only rule for successful communication. In order to have a conversation with others, I have to begin by respecting their right to state their opinion even if it disagrees with mine.
why do people keep saying this but completely ignore the dog comment that only makes his original statement way worse?

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is a humorous contrast to Bungie, now a PlayStation studio, straight up saying "Fuck off pro-lifers, we stand for women's rights".

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
This is a humorous contrast to Bungie, now a PlayStation studio, straight up saying "Fuck off pro-lifers, we stand for women's rights".
Well I really hope this is just Jim Ryan's personal stance (and he can fuck off for that) and not SIE in general. I'm sure most people at PS Studio disagrees with him.

TazKa

Oct 27, 2017
Had to check if ut was not April 1st... what really stupid thing to do and on top talking about cat birthday and getting a dog.

I question Ryans sanity.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Had to check if ut was not April 1st... what really stupid thing to do and on top talking about cat birthday and getting a dog.

I question Ryans sanity.
He also shared his TV shows. He said he's watching Anatomy of Scandal
Kotaku also separately confirmed the content of this email and learned that Ryan also wrote about missing his travels to Japan, and watching Anatomy of a Scandal.
Looks like he has his own real-time Anatomy of a Scandal going on.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Bungie isn't a PS Studio yet. Regulators are looking at the deal as we speak. Bungie made the right call by standing up for human rights.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
Honestly fairly easy when people willingly show their ass in broad daylight
homer-simpson-mooning.gif