• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
People are allowed to believe this is an overreaction from Sony, just like people are allowed to believe it's a sensible precaution. Do not attack others just because they disagree with you about this.
No. We're talking about trying to prevent this from getting out of hand in the context of videogames.

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
People are allowed to believe this is an overreaction from Sony, just like people are allowed to believe it's a sensible precaution. Do not attack others just because they disagree with you about this.

Nobody disagrees that people are "allowed" to believe things.

Your post only raises another question -- are people allowed to point out toxic, hateful comments that are posing as "beliefs"?

Oct 26, 2017
I seriously doubt that they were flying in people from around the globe to man some demo booths at a fan convention. They are an international compnay with a huge American wing.

That said, is the CDC or WHO cautioning against even international travel?

No. The WHO is encouraging nations to take precautions so it doesn't spread to countries with poor health care systems.

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Wow, this thread has been a mess almost from the beginning where some people can understand that these companies are simply looking out after their employees in a real life situation that supersedes what's happening in our little paltry video game hobby.

And the fact that some are using it to directly criticize Sony as if this is some kind of system wars type decision is really bothersome on top of moderation not doing the best job of doing just that, moderating.

And to allow the inflammatory comments piggybacking some system wars level of rationale is baffling.

This is a bigger issue than games.

mangochutney

Jun 11, 2018
About the virus, the situation in Asia, and risk factors involved. Do I really need to spell that out?
I just was curious because after reading your post your position on the matter was clear, but I hadn't really seen much posts from the other side of the debate that were ignorant to facts - if anything I felt it to be the reverse, so I wanted to clarify which facts you were referring to in case it wasn't what I assumed them to be or if there were any posts in particular that had caught your eye. That's all.

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
I seriously doubt that they were flying in people from around the globe to man some demo booths at a fan convention. They are an international compnay with a huge American wing.

That said, is the CDC or WHO cautioning against even international travel?

Does it matter? What's your concern? Like, truly. What are you concerned about?

Xbox FanFest

Banned
Dec 30, 2019
All this safety first talk. Lol. There's the flu in USA that's way worse than the Corona going around. It's in Boston. It's fine there. Hell, the whole USA is fine to travel to.

RoaminRonin

Nov 6, 2017
"Public health should be priority #1 above all else" is a philosophy that, taken to this extreme of cancelling an event over a virus that one person in the state has, is never followed by anyone in any context and would be pretty weird to follow.

Should you not go to parties during the winter because you could get the flu and then give it to other people.

This is a much bigger public health concern than the possibility of the coronavirus at PAX East.

Fight on proud warrior.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
As many others in this thread have already said about this post, public safety is more important than some fucking video game news. PAX is an event that is very crowded and will likely have people coming in from all over the world. It is very easy to get sick at an event like this.

What the fuck is this post?
As many other in this thread have already said, the move Sony is taken is far outside the norm for current operating procedure re: coronavirus within the United States. Giving the move some scrutiny rather than just taking the company at its' word is perfectly reasonable.

Regardless, nothing in this thread justifies people getting this aggressive at oneanother.

Deleted member 6215

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Era Mod: Don't attack other people for their opinion.
Era Members: I'm appalled.
This is a big misrepresentation of the issue, but I'll humor you. Personal attacks are already against the rules making that mod post redundant and unnecessary. Just ban/warn people who need it.

But the way that it's written gives the appearance that it's ok to downplay the severity of a public health issue as just "opinion." And that's upset a lot people.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Taking precautions in light of a world wide epidemic isn't an overreaction.

I'm appalled that this post hasn't been revised to take that out.

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
"Public health should be priority #1 above all else" is a philosophy that, taken to this extreme of cancelling an event over a virus that one person in the state has, is never followed by anyone in any context and would be pretty weird to follow.

Should you not go to parties during the winter because you could get the flu and then give it to other people.

This is a much bigger public health concern than the possibility of the coronavirus at PAX East.

Alright. So what are you saying? Why did they **really** cancel their event?

Oct 26, 2017
Taking precautions in light of a world wide epidemic isn't an overreaction.

I'm appalled that this post hasn't been revised to take that out.

This is a virus that is devastating to the health and economy of Hubei and has created a culture of fear and pain in China as a whole along with wrecking China's economy. My wife is Chinese and is devastated to see those suffering in Hubei.

But in the United States, the main impact of the virus is xenophobia through a culture of fear that due to Americans being terrified of foreign diseases.

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
Genuinely think people are way in denial over the danger of nCov. Yeah it probably wont kill you, but it is so much more contagious than 'just the flu' and has a higher mortality rate that progresses pretty hard for over 50s. Which is a lot of people. Sony are taking appropriate measures here and I wouldn't even be surprised to see E3 withdrawals (other than those already withdrawn)

Yes. There are several factors to consider that really bear reflection. Not panic, but thought. COVID-19 has worrying statistics so far emerging on asymptomatic carriers and spread, and lengthy incubation periods in which these infected individuals can unknowingly carry this nascent infection far and wide. It also has a number of strange behaviors during progression that seem particularly brutal and may explain some of the recently released 2.3% fatality rate, such as cases observed where it will hit someone particularly hard, and then seem to ebb off, then come back after someone has already been sick for 10-14 days and cause their weakened system to rapidly deteriorate. The whistleblower doctor who was 33 or so died in this matter iirc.

That lengthy incubation and asymptomatic carrier element combined with the unusual nature of the disease along with the hopefully unlikely but real possibility of a more aggressive mutation makes this worth approaching with caution. Treating one another with respect, empathy, and kindness is never a bad thing.

Dr. John Campbell is the most reasonable source for going into this issue that I can find. No conspiracy stuff, no mania, just quiet and clear analysis. Highly recommended.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I would want to know what highly educated people who study epidemeology professionally have to say about the risks of travel. Is this decision just made in confusion and panic, or is there a justifiable scientific basis to forego travel?

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Era Mod: Don't attack other people for their opinion.
Era Members: I'm appalled.
The thing is, it's kind of a harmful opinion so it's understandable people would not want it promoted. Not only the conspiracy theories, but just throwing people at the wall for not forcing their employees to feel unsafe. That's kind of a good thing, right? They even took a financial hit in order to do it.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City

What about the conspiracy theory that this isn't being done as a proactive, preventative measure — rather Sony avoiding having a public presence at the event for reasons beyond the virus? Going by what hasn't been actioned in this thread, it seems conspiracy theories are fair game depending on the subject.

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
Yeah, I would want to know what highly educated people who study epidemeology professionally have to say about the risks of travel. Is this decision just made in confusion and panic, or is there a justifiable scientific basis to forego travel?

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
What about the conspiracy theories that this isn't being done as a proactive, preventative measure, rather to avoid having a public presence at the event for "reasons"? Going by what hasn't been actioned in this thread, it seems conspiracy theories are fair game depending on the subject.

Exploitation of the first amendment is literally a disinformation tactic lol. Fuck anybody who accuses Sony of having ulterior motives for cancelling their event. Especially if they're going to be dishonest and pretend that they're concerned about it "feeding a campaign of fear" or "just giving a balanced opinion"

This thread is full of the worst types of arguments lol

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I guess anything is fair game for concern trolling, disgusting.

Wish my employer would be as cautious, oh wait they are cancelling all work trips till this blows over. Telecon is a thing is this year 2020 and even our suppliers and clients are happier about this.

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
Im gonna go out on a limb here and say that most people that are mad at Sony for skipping the event are the same that keep shouting every week: "SONY'S COMMUNICATION IS HORRIBLE!!/Where's my PS5 announcement SONY?/IF YOU DONT ANNOUNCE IT TILL THE END OF THE MONTH, I ANT BUYING IT!"

As someone from the "outside", who has no interest in the event and knows that the consoles and games are gonna come out anyways, I say, good for Sony.
Health should be everyones top priority, and without knowing how dangerous this epidemic truly is, and if they can't guarantee the safety of the employees and everyone around them, then why risk it for a chocolat biscuit?
I mean, its not even a chocolat biscuit, just a damp one, with no flavour, in the grand scheme of things.

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
this is an awful staff post

It indeed seems rather woefully uneducated and grossly ignorant of the facts so far, and beyond that the 'known unknowns' of the asymptomatic carriers. The next two to three weeks will be critical in whether this gets far worse or hopefully just another temporary scare.

Any dismissal of a company or individual taking an abundance of care and harming nobody in the process would look particularly ignorant if there is the second/third wave of this thing.

The reason things like Ebola didn't get widespread was because of the rapid incubation period and lack of asymptomatic carriers. People that got sick did so rapidly, and didn't carry it far and wide without knowing it / being noticed. The spread of COVID-19 is currently unknown until the incubation periods expire of the asymptomatic carriers, wherever they may be at present. Hope for the best.

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
Im gonna go out on a limb here and say that most people that are mad at Sony for skipping the event are the same that keep shouting every week: "SONY'S COMMUNICATION IS HORRIBLE!!/Where's my PS5 announcement SONY?/IF YOU DONT ANNOUNCE IT TILL THE END OF THE MONTH, I ANT BUYING IT!"

As someone from the "outside", who has no interest in the event and knows that the consoles and games are gonna come out anyways, I say, good for Sony.
Health should be everyones top priority, and without knowing how dangerous this epidemic truly is, and if they can't guarantee the safety of the employees and everyone around them, then why risk it for a chocolat biscuit?
I mean, its not even a chocolat biscuit, just a damp one, with no flavour, in the grand scheme of things.

Is it really that unrealistic that these same people are the same people who are dishonest about why they feel so upset, and masking it in "concern"...

Deleted member 388

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Opinions on if precautions taken regarding something that's a global health emergency are necessary? 🤔
People looking at the numbers (47 cases in Japan, 16 in USA) are thinking that the Japanese company bowing out of appearing at the convention is perpetuating fear mongering in panic. US citizens are literally avoiding Chinese takeout because of the news. Is it crazy that there are people who think this is being blown out of proportion with a strong sense of xenophobia fueling it?

It doesn't seem too insane for mods to say "hey, maybe don't personally attack each other". There are two sides to it and there should be civil discourse. I don't know why anyone would be upset to be told to not attack another poster. But here we are.

The thing is, it's kind of a harmful opinion so it's understandable people would not want it promoted. Not only the conspiracy theories, but just throwing people at the wall for not forcing their employees to feel unsafe. That's kind of a good thing, right? They even took a financial hit in order to do it.
The conspiracy theories shouldn't be entertained. This likely was decided by corporate.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
It makes sense that less you travel from a local area that does not have the virus to going on an enclosed plane with passengers that could potentially have it, the less risk you are likely to undertake, right? Even if it's a small increase, it's still an increase. There is the chance that they would be just as likely to catch it staying where they are in a more controlled or familiar environment but I doubt that. There's also more at play than science, there is a human element as well, you don't want people feeling unsafe, that is an unproductive work environment.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This virus is not comparable to the flu and that it's in Boston is irrelevant to Sony's decision. These are things not subject to personal opinion.

It's absolutely comparable to the Flu (since both are respiratory viruses), and not doing so undermines the Flus actual impact on mortality.

Evodelu

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 19, 2019
Hmm. Maybe you don't understand what people dislike about the mod post then.
Mods are right here, not sure what people are on about. It doesn't say anywhere that Corona virus is a matter of belief. The matter of belief is whether somebody should be considerably more careful than WHO guidelines.
Saying that this will end up justifying antivaxxer nonsense is about as hyperbolic as saying that the other way around will justify people taking a wide berth whenever they see an Asian in the street. Pure sliding scale fallacy.

Of course in the end it's just videogames, so nobody should be worked up about this.

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
People looking at the numbers (47 cases in Japan, 16 in USA) are thinking that the Japanese company bowing out of appearing at the convention is perpetuating fear mongering in panic. US citizens are literally avoiding Chinese takeout because of the news. Is it crazy that there are people who think this is being blown out of proportion with a strong sense of xenophobia fueling it?

It doesn't seem too insane for mods to say "hey, maybe don't personally attack each other". There are two sides to it and there should be civil discourse. I don't know why anyone would be upset to be told to not attack another poster. But here we are.

It sounds like you still don't understand what people dislike about the mod post.

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
Mods are right here, not sure what people are on about. It doesn't say anywhere that Corona virus is a matter of belief. The matter of belief is whether somebody should be considerably more careful than WHO guidelines.
Saying that this will end up justifying antivaxxer nonsense is about as hyperbolic as saying that the other way around will justify people taking a wide berth whenever they see an Asian in the street. Pure sliding scale fallacy.

Of course in the end it's just videogames, so nobody should be worked up about this.

So you're equating the two "sides" and still claiming you're "not sure what people are on about".

It seems like you still don't understand why people are upset about the mod post.

Status
Not open for further replies.