• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
They absolutely deserved to be mocked constantly. There are 12 people infected with coronavirus in the United States. This is incredibly stupid.

It's hard to take mods seriously when these kinds of posts are allowed.

It's one thing to question Sony's decision, but to mock them for it? There's nothing stupid about it at all, and I dare you to bring that up in the main thread.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

It's one thing to question Sony's decision, but to mock them for it? There's nothing stupid about it at all, and I dare you to bring that up in the main thread.
I agree with you, and find this entire fiasco is a disappointing display by Era as a whole. There are actually people that are so dependent on electronic toy commercials for whatever reason that they're openly mocking a very positive effort by a company to protect their employee's health, and getting away with it. It's disgustingly lacking in empathy, regardless of what you think of the illness' actual potency.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Fore those in interest, AMD cancelled their EMEA partner conference due to fears of corona....Intel cancelled theirs.....there have been numerous cancelations by large corperations due to fears of this spreading.

To attack Sony for this, is just downright wrong IMO.

Silencerx98

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fore those in interest, AMD cancelled their EMEA partner conference due to fears of corona....Intel cancelled theirs.....there have been numerous cancelations by large corperations due to fears of this spreading.

To attack Sony for this, is just downright wrong IMO.
It's downright wrong to blame any company for cancelling any public events today for the safety of their employees, but people will continue pushing their narratives, I guess. I'm just perplexed that the mod think this is acceptable

zephiross

Mar 27, 2018
They absolutely deserved to be mocked constantly. There are 12 people infected with coronavirus in the United States. This is incredibly stupid.

C1D604C2539D25AEF29DA8D19D9ECDF4B6D5A573

mangochutney

Jun 11, 2018
It's downright wrong to blame any company for cancelling any public events today for the safety of their employees, but people will continue pushing their narratives, I guess. I'm just perplexed that the mod think this is acceptable
It is acceptable because people can have a viewpoint. How you present your viewpoint and debate the opposing side is what defines it's acceptableness.

Sony are one of many, many exhibitors. Many of those will have already taken a decision on their attendance. And they're still attending so they clearly feel the risk is low.

I mean look at car insurance as an example. The price reflects your risk levels. When I look at car insurance some insurers offer me quotes for around £300, but others go as high as £2,000. In other words they see me as nearly 7x more risky.

It is a bit more nuanced than that, but you get the idea - people's assessment of risk differs.

We know that you cannot enter the US if you've recently been to the deeply affected areas if you are not a US citizen, and if you are US citizen you must undergo quarantine.

We know that there have been 15 cases in the US, and given the recovery period elsewhere there's likely only 3 active cases, and no new cases in a week.

We know that the seriousness of the disease for those under 50 is very low.

We know that with the exception of South Korea in the last couple of days and also the cruise ship that cases outside of China on a daily basis has been in single digits or into the low 10s.

The risk that someone would attend PAX who has it, or would transit through somewhere and pick it up from someone in order to attend is very low.

Sony has obviously taken the viewpoint that even if that risk is 0.0001% they want to avoid it.

Sony is fully entitled to hold that risk viewpoint.
Others are entitled to think that based on the risk level that Sony's decision is interesting and not one they'd take.

Someone is not entitled to think someone should be mocked for holding either view and is precisely what the mods are talking about in their original post.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Sony have to be commended for taking a health and safety decision that's damaging to business. It shows they care about their staff.

Silencerx98

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is acceptable because people can have a viewpoint. How you present your viewpoint and debate the opposing side is what defines it's acceptableness.

Sony are one of many, many exhibitors. Many of those will have already taken a decision on their attendance. And they're still attending so they clearly feel the risk is low.

I mean look at car insurance as an example. The price reflects your risk levels. When I look at car insurance some insurers offer me quotes for around £300, but others go as high as £2,000. In other words they see me as nearly 7x more risky.

It is a bit more nuanced than that, but you get the idea - people's assessment of risk differs.

We know that you cannot enter the US if you've recently been to the deeply affected areas if you are not a US citizen, and if you are US citizen you must undergo quarantine.

We know that there have been 15 cases in the US, and given the recovery period elsewhere there's likely only 3 active cases, and no new cases in a week.

We know that with the exception of South Korea in the last couple of days and also the cruise ship that cases outside of China on a daily basis has been in single digits or into the low 10s.

The risk that someone would attend PAX who has it, or would transit through somewhere and pick it up from someone in order to attend is very low.

Sony has obviously taken the viewpoint that even if that risk is 0.0001% they want to avoid it.

Others are entitled to think that based on the risk level that Sony's decision is interesting and not one they'd take.

Someone is not entitled to think someone should be mocked for holding either view and is precisely what the mods are talking about in their original post.
You have your point and I can see a valid argument being made for those who think that Sony is taking extreme precautions is unnecessary for a very low chance of contacting the virus, but as they say, better safe than sorry. Besides, is it fair to think a company is acting unreasonable and "mock" them for doing what they think is best for their employees? This forum in general is against crunch time because it requires developers to work against their will to ship a product. How is forcing employees to attend an event attended by people worldwide, also possibly against their wishes any different? And lastly, the kind of posts I was referring to in my original post was about people who made conspiracy theories like "Sony is doing everything they can to delay PS5 announcement!". There is no substance to this claim and it serves nothing else than to undermine the concern Sony has for their employees

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

If everyone wrote like you did then I would totally agreed with the mods. But unfortunately there are many posts that are more concerned about why they aren't getting PS5 info, or Sony info, or concern trolling about what will happen to the PS5 or whether Sony is using the virus as an excuse. Then there are also those that mock people who think that the virus is a real threat and keep saying things like "WHAT ABOUT SEASONAL FLU HUHHH?!

The initial mod post legitimised these people and that's what some posters and I had issues with.

It's great that you typed all that out reasonably but not everyone is like you and I think it is disheartening to see people valuing videos games over the health of those that are actually making them.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wake up to see this at 24 pages!? Seriously??? Its just a convention, why on earth do people give a shit. They were not going to announce PS5 at fucking PAX East.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They could literally announce the PS5 a month before it comes out(they won't) and it would do gangbusters, the same games would be there either way. For people on this forum, the announcement is pure gravy. People getting worked up about as if this is something they need to prepare for are being absurd.

Anchelepizze

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 18, 2019
Lmao this is peak era
Sony will probably have to pay a lot of cancellation fees, it's not like someone woke up one day and said "nah I ain't going"
"they could wear masks", lmfao

KrAzEd

Oct 27, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Absolutely ridiculous. The corona virus has been pretty well contained so far to mainland China. I've been traveling like crazy and am currently in Europe, and if I didn't keep up on news I wouldn't even know something was going on. Between this and E3 their PR is off to a pretty shit start.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Absolutely ridiculous. The corona virus has been pretty well contained so far to mainland China. I've been traveling like crazy and am currently in Europe, and if I didn't keep up on news I wouldn't even know something was going on. Between this and E3 their PR is off to a pretty shit start.

You're not sick doesn't mean there is no risk. Jesus, some people.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

The numbers look contained in China but numbers elsewhere are starting to climb. And it looks more and more possible that the disease spreads asymptomatically in some cases.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany

nope, looking at how thirsty people are at this point, they are doing everything right. when they finally release infos about their next plastic box known as the PS5, people will be going batshit crazy, pre orders will be through the roof and everyone will be excited to throw their bucks at sony.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

Yesterday there were 51 new cases in South Korea alone. Today it was just announced that there are now more than 100 confirmed cases, including SK's first death. SK now has the second most infections, surpassing Japan who just surpassed Singapore for the second most yesterday.

Rust

Jan 24, 2018
I have no problem with Sony pulling out due to health concerns. If they believe there is that much of a risk, then go for it - it's the right move. However, there are some questions to be asked:

• Are there other Japanese/international companies going to PAX East? Are they doing something different?
• If PAX East could become problematic itself, why hasn't PAX stopped the entire event? Has PAX commented on this concern?

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Lol, what is this thread?
Supposedly cleaned up but somehow this heap left untouched?

Someone repeatedly downplaying the concern throughout the entire thread. Even managing to squeeze in the old "have you heard of the flu?" angle that people have been banned for before. Even comparing it to cars and alcohol in the US. Like if people are concerned about coronavirus in the US they should also be concerned by cars.

"We should have no events in person because of alcohol and cars if the coronavirus is enough to cancel an event."

Literally an ocean of bad faith points..

It's a global health emergency that has affected 15 people in the United States
We should cancel all gaming events to protect ourselves from the 5G.
The coronavirus is an extremely serious and horrible situation for older people in Hubei but the level of hype it's getting in the United States is just dumb.
Also, we should close grocery stores and force people to order all their food via delivery.
We should also warn against parties.
Should close schools too imo, the kids are very dirty.
Caring about people's health=Good
Giving into a culture of fear over a hyped up virus that has about a 1/6000000 chance of killing you compared to alcoho or car accident=bad.
We should have no events in person because of alcohol and cars if the coronavirus is enough to cancel an event.
Alcohol and cars are significantly more dangerous than the coronavirus in the United States, yes.
Do you think that the people who are hyping up this virus as the end of the world drive cars or drink alcohol.
Or eat lots of sugar.
Do they view health as the end all be all or have they watched too much CNN and too many zombie movies.
The people acting like 12 year olds are people hyping up every foreign virus as the end of the world because their medical knowledge comes from World War Z.
So should the US halt air travel right now.
"Public health should be priority #1 above all else" is a philosophy that, taken to this extreme of cancelling an event over a virus that one person in the state has, is never followed by anyone in any context and would be pretty weird to follow.

Should you not go to parties during the winter because you could get the flu and then give it to other people.
This is a much bigger public health concern than the possibility of the coronavirus at PAX East.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2019
I think Sony's reason for backing out of PAX East is fine. They are just in this weird position where they really need to blow people's minds when they finally decide to show up. They've just been silent for too long and people's thirst and expectations are growing. Their PR department has been really weird from the beginning of 2019 too.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lol, what the fuck is this thread?
Supposedly cleaned up but this is heap somehow just left untouched?

Someone incessantly downplaying the concern throughout the entire thread. Even managed to squeeze in the old "have you heard of the flu?" point that people have been banned for downplaying the concern with before. Hell even moved comparing it to fucking cars and alcohol in the US. Like if people are concerned about coronavirus in the US they should also be concerned by cars. As if that's an argument in good faith.

Yeah this is the biggest bullshit in here, but guess it's fine so we can start to turn it around by saying that people that think like this are insane. I mean he says the same about us.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Lol, what the fuck is this thread?
Supposedly cleaned up but this is heap somehow just left untouched?

Someone incessantly downplaying the concern throughout the entire thread. Even managed to squeeze in the old "have you heard of the flu?" point that people have been banned for downplaying the concern with before. Hell even moved comparing it to fucking cars and alcohol in the US. Like if people are concerned about coronavirus in the US they should also be concerned by cars. As if that's an argument in good faith.
Wtf how did this person go unchecked this whole thread for that?

People willing to get sick just to have a chance to play a TLOU2 demo should tell Sony....yeah this game will sell just fine with out the demo.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
All I'm saying is millions of people are traveling every day, for work and travel. Not saying there isn't a risk, but for a MAJOR company to not go to Boston is absolutely stupid in my opinion

I went to three PaxEast events in Boston. At every one there were postings and warnings about bringing Purel, because they had a bad year where bird flu was spread around and tons of visitors and exhibitors got sick.

PAX has developers from not just USA there. And sometimes they send people from Japan to these events.

It's not stupid.

If anything I'm surprised I haven;t heard other companies pulling out of Paxeast this year or other events. Wonder how GDC will fair thats in a couple weeks.

NekoNeko

Coward
Oct 26, 2017
And that 12 could double easily.
i wonder how many people arguing for Sony to go are the same type of people who wash their hands with 3 seconds of water and no soap in the bathroom at work.
I wonder how many people who applaud this are the same type of people who are avoiding chinese restaurants right now. "Better safe than sorry".

I can play this game too.

Once again i couldn't possibly care less about any sony products but the mass hysteria is hurting people far more than the actual virus in the US.

MajulaDream

Oct 25, 2017
Even I, MajulaDream, think this thread is an embarrassment and a shitshow. Pause and process THAT for a moment, lol!

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why people are so riled up, it's a health concern and was declared as such. It's just videogames, it will still be released even if they miss PAX. Talk about priorities, this is just embarassing

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I wonder how many people who applaud this are the same type of people who are avoiding chinese restaurants right now. "Better safe than sorry".

I can play this game too.

Once again i couldn't possibly care less about any sony products but the mass hysteria is hurting people far more than the actual virus in the US.
I wouldn't know I never fucked with Chinese food.

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Literally the smartest decision they could make given conventions spread generic germs like nobody's business. Yes, Corona Virus isn't there right now but the likelihood of it spreading would be crazy high, I would imagine. Several people are likely to be high who have been in infectious areas.

Nardy_19

Alt-account
Banned
Sep 14, 2019

Welcome to reset. Their discretion when deciding these things is completely a power trip. OOP, i'm probably going to get banned now!. Anyways, Sony is being proactive about this situation and i see no harm in their decision.

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
I can't blame them but they should have bailed several weeks ago. This kinda sucks for anyone who was planning on attending the show to see Sony.

Not a move I agree with though...
www.nytimes.com

Opinion | How Fear Distorts Our Thinking About the Coronavirus (Published 2020)

The solution isn’t to try to think more carefully. It’s to trust the experts.
www.nytimes.com

Coronavirus ‘Hits All the Hot Buttons’ for How We Misjudge Risk (Published 2020)

Psychologists say that differing responses to coronavirus and the flu illustrate our shortcomings when it comes to evaluating danger.

Status
Not open for further replies.