• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I could dig it. Never owned a PS1 and there are some real classics there I don't think I'd ever get a chance to try with Sony's spotty retro library.

I mean, FFVII and MGS and they'll have my day one. But those would be some big names to go after.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I would buy that in a minute. I never owned a PS1, so there's a lot I would want to play. Hopefully, they would have the great third party titles like Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Symphony of the Night, etc.

Hexadron

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even care what games it comes with as long as it can be hacked - that way I can run my own backups of my collection :)

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a fun novelty for kids and extreme casual gamers for the holidays, but if they got a good emulation software. Put that shit on PS4/PS5 too.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Rather than another useless piece of plastic for Nerd Crew™ points, just put them on PS4/5.
Take a PS4 Slim (2), remove DVD drive to reduce footprint and cost, figure out a way to charge $200 with some PS1/2 Classics and still have access to full PSN shop now with PS1/2 games available (not just BS current program) plus PSP and Vita games! Wham and we got a classic indeed.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
1tb could theoretically store 2000 PS1 games, or 200 PS2 games. A 750gb hard drive can store a combination of 100 PS1 games and 100 PS2 games.

I'd buy a system with 500GB hard drive and one that includes 50 PS1 and 50 PS2 games, with perhaps a digital store of it's own to download further PS1 or PS2 or handheld games. I'd bite for $200 if the software is not barebone, and if it works with Dualshock 4. Also, give option to delete and re-download the original titles.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hardware wise I bet this would probably just be a PSVita TV with the Vita and PSP turned turned off and its in a neat little PS1 case

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
The main challenge is going to be the file sizes, i think. Nintendo can get around with 512MB ROMs even for the 64 Mini.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
How did Sony modify the PS3 boards that they use for PSNow? If it's a PCI-E card, I hope they sell it to us.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the minority, but even after buying the NES Classic... I really dont like these classic reboots. I know they have a different market than me, but I feel like with Nintendo they're not committed to putting classic games on the Switch because they know, next year, they can release a new Nintendo Classic and turn the money printer on.

I'd kinda worry Sony would take the same approach. I already have a playstation console plugged into my TV, I'd rather use the console I have to play PSOne classics than a new console.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I'm in the minority, but even after buying the NES Classic... I really dont like these classic reboots. I know they have a different market than me, but I feel like with Nintendo they're not committed to putting classic games on the Switch because they know, next year, they can release a new Nintendo Classic and turn the money printer on.

I'd kinda worry Sony would take the same approach. I already have a playstation console plugged into my TV, I'd rather use the console I have to play PSOne classics than a new console.
Nintendo's putting 20 NES games on Switch in 4 months with more coming after. And they're adding online play.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo's putting 20 NES games on Switch in 4 months with more coming after. And they're adding online play.

Oh nice, didn't know that! I thought they weren't bring the Virtual Console to switch, which to me sounded like they weren't going to be supporting a lot of old games.

although wasn't the NES Classic discontinued? Or is that another mis-understanding?

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Oh nice, didn't know that! I thought they weren't bring the Virtual Console to switch, which to me sounded like they were going to be supporting a lot of old games.

although wasn't the NES Classic discontinued? Or is that another mis-understanding?
The NES Classics are part of their $20/year Switch Online subscription. They might be released to buy later but won't be part of "Virtual Console" as Nintendo's retiring that brand. So far they announced 10 of the 20 launch games.

NES Classic Mini was discontinued but is going back into production this summer. I think Nintendo sees the value in doing both approaches.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I just don't see this happening as it would either need a hard drive or more likely large flash storage, meaning it will cost $150+, close to the price of PS4 during Black Friday sales. Plus, people are more interested in 3rd party titles which can be difficult to get for a low cost to Sony.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Would love this so much but honestly how do you limit the games? There are simply too many classics. But that said day 1 for sure
You just select the most iconic games which is how "best of" collections work.

If I had to choose a 15 games selection I would probably pick up the following franchises:

First-Party games:
Gran Turismo, Wipeout, Ape Escape, Medieval, Parappa the Rapper (or Intelligent Qube or Devil Dice)

Third-Party games:
Ridge Racer, Tekken, Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, Tomb Rider, Metal Gear Solid, Castlevania Symphony of the Night, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Tony Hawk (though for this one there might be licensing issues so maybe replace it with something else like Jumping Flash or Omega Boost).

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017
I'll just copy the complaints over from the Nintendo side of things and ask where the hell are the PS4-compatible PSOne classics?

If they do this and it doesn't come with at least one or two of the PS1 Squaresoft games, the product is a failure before it even releases.

If this is what needs to happen for my Ape Escape fix then fine

Why wouldn't it?

I imagine Sony would use USB PS One controllers as pack-ins but allow you to pair DS3 and DS4 controllers.

The internal memory would have to be way bigger than Nintendo's Classic line, though, considering these are CD-Rom games, even with compression.

This will bring you FF7 again quicker than Square-Enix ever will.

Sony should start working on their own ideas

They could just take PS TV (aka Vita TV), throw in some built-in memory and pack-in games and allow access to PSN shop. Make it in a shape of a PSX and done.

Edit: Playing PSP and PS Vita games in addition to PS1 as a bonus isn't too shabby either.

this thread has everything

phaeb

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Crash, Tomb raider and here's a few on nobodies list:
THPS2
007 Nightfire (3rd Person Bond shooter)
CTR

Status
Not open for further replies.